• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

At this point, neither Chrom nor Lucina can justify their position on the roster. Recentness be damned if neither can offer anything new. But the depressing thing is that the alternatives are not exactly that interesting ether. Seriously people, Roy is not that incredibly unique ether you know.
They can; it's just that what they have is rather boring.
Though Lucina is admittedly less boring, since she has a bigger arsenal of Skills to use due to inheritance options, something Chrom can't get.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm guessing the merits are more along the lines of Fire Emblem: Awakening being this Fire Emblem crossover, then the characters themselves. If we're looking at Chrom and Lucina by themselves, yes they are not interesting, but in the context of being the main characters of Fire Emblem All-Stars, I suppose that would have enough merits to include both or ether. But at the same time, having that title might not be enough; beating a dead horse here, but the main obstacle with both of them is being interesting enough to attract people.

D

Deleted member

I'm guessing the merits are more along the lines of Fire Emblem: Awakening being this Fire Emblem crossover, then the characters themselves. If we're looking at Chrom and Lucina by themselves, yes they are not interesting, but in the context of being the main characters of Fire Emblem All-Stars, I suppose that would have enough merits to include both or ether. But at the same time, having that title might not be enough; beating a dead horse here, but the main obstacle with both of them is being interesting enough to attract people.
You missed what I said entirely.

D

Deleted member

...Alright, what's your reasons for justifying Chrom and/or Lucina on the roster?
....I was responding to your point on them "not offering anything new".
So again, you missed what I said entirely once more.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Lets see:
Red Hair
Fire (Stolen by Ike :troll:)
A Sword (Taken by Marth, Link, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Ike, Young Link, and pretty much every FE Lord)
Personality (Has nothing outstanding or unordinary)
Fan girl material (Iffy. Ike, Marth, and Lucina fill this role quite well.)
Fanboy material (SO.MANY.VOTES.WHY.)
Here, let me help you.
[collapse=Various things that make Roy unique. Imo, of course]
- Red hair. Stands out perfectly in a game like FE where it's deluged with blue-haired Lords.

- The name "Roy". Just how cool is that? Don't you feel like calling him "Little King"? Kawaii desu~

See? All cool anime people have the name "Roy"

- Personality: Believe it or not, this redhead does have personality. First of all, aside from being a stereotypically courageous and kind Lord, Roy is also very cunning. He is also oblivious as poop. Lilina tries her best to give Roy hints that she loves him, that she wants to be with him forever. But Roy is always like, "Sorry, what were you saying Lilina? Oh, gotta go do important Lord **** ttyl". He's also 15, so in some cases he acts a bit rash and boastful.

Too late...

- Has a personal servant that's infatuated with him. He basically devotes his life to protect and serve Roy. So like, now there's a love triangle thing going on.

Roy's kinda tsundere though

- Roy's a pimp, and he knows it. Just look at all the girls he can have! He can even hook up with his teacher, no other Lord gonna do that. And he probably has something going on with Guinevere too. That little bugger!

- Very enthusiastic about learning magic when he was younger. Of course he didn't go that route (cuz his meanie teacher refused to teach him because he was bad at magic).

- The sword. Teh Ph1r3!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Roy the only Lord with an element (in this case fire) that's visually attributed to him? Anyway, the Sword of Seals can create fire projectiles, sending scorching flames to engulf opponents, like releasing the fiery pits of Hell. Oh, and it can heal the wielder as well.

- The Sword of Seals can also react to the wielder’s emotions and adjust its power, killing or making the opponent survive depending on the wielder’s intentions. So it's like alive...aaalliiiiive!

- Very important character in the Elibe saga. FE6 also contributed a lot to the FE series.

- United the Lycia Alliance and created the Kingdom of Lycia.

- Epic boss fight with Zephiel.

- Can potentially be considered 1/4 dragon. Rawr! This also means that Roy's grandfather is the psychotic sugar daddy, Nergal.

- Two words: Shota Roy

- Awesome father.

See? Even Eliwood's awesome plans never fail!

Also...

Would you look at that!? Even Roy admires his old man.

- Awesome outfit. Even Awesomer in Awakening.

- Voice actor in Melee is also awesome.

- Appears in the FE6 manga, Hasha no Tsurugi. Also is very badass in the manga.

- In the top 10 most wanted for SSB4. Perhaps even higher in Japan...Imo, out of all the potential FE candidates, Roy's the most intriguing, and perhaps can be even more interesting if played up (decloned) right.

- Totally not obsessed with Roy at all

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Roy thread. But nevertheless, thank you for wasting your time reading this. I hope I at least gave you a laugh.[/collapse]
Anyway, I personally think that out of all the FE candidates, Roy sticks out the most. I'm still feeling neutral towards Chrom. Wouldn't be upset if we get Marth, Ike, Chrom...just a bit disappointed really.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Here, let me help you.
[collapse=Various things that make Roy unique. Imo, of course]
- Red hair. Stands out perfectly in a game like FE where it's deluged with blue-haired Lords.

- The name "Roy". Just how cool is that? Don't you feel like calling him "Little King"? Kawaii desu~

See? All cool anime people have the name "Roy"

- Personality: Believe it or not, this redhead does have personality. First of all, aside from being a stereotypically courageous and kind Lord, Roy is also very cunning. He is also oblivious as poop. Lilina tries her best to give Roy hints that she loves him, that she wants to be with him forever. But Roy is always like, "Sorry, what were you saying Lilina? Oh, gotta go do important Lord **** ttyl". He's also 15, so in some cases he acts a bit rash and boastful.

Too late...

- Has a personal servant that's infatuated with him. He basically devotes his life to protect and serve Roy. So like, now there's a love triangle thing going on.

Roy's kinda tsundere though

- Roy's a pimp, and he knows it. Just look at all the girls he can have! He can even hook up with his teacher, no other Lord gonna do that. And he probably has something going on with Guinevere too. That little bugger!

- Very enthusiastic about learning magic when he was younger. Of course he didn't go that route (cuz his meanie teacher refused to teach him because he was bad at magic).

- The sword. Teh Ph1r3!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Roy the only Lord with an element (in this case fire) that's visually attributed to him? Anyway, the Sword of Seals can create fire projectiles, sending scorching flames to engulf opponents, like releasing the fiery pits of Hell. Oh, and it can heal the wielder as well.

- The Sword of Seals can also react to the wielder’s emotions and adjust its power, killing or making the opponent survive depending on the wielder’s intentions. So it's like alive...aaalliiiiive!

- Very important character in the Elibe saga. FE6 also contributed a lot to the FE series.

- United the Lycia Alliance and created the Kingdom of Lycia.

- Epic boss fight with Zephiel.

- Can potentially be considered 1/4 dragon. Rawr! This also means that Roy's grandfather is the psychotic sugar daddy, Nergal.

- Two words: Shota Roy

- Awesome father.

See? Even Eliwood's awesome plans never fail!

Also...

Would you look at that!? Even Roy admires his old man.

- Awesome outfit. Even Awesomer in Awakening.

- Voice actor in Melee is also awesome.

- Appears in the FE6 manga, Hasha no Tsurugi. Also is very badass in the manga.

- In the top 10 most wanted for SSB4. Perhaps even higher in Japan...Imo, out of all the potential FE candidates, Roy's the most intriguing, and perhaps can be even more interesting if played up (decloned) right.

- Totally not obsessed with Roy at all

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Roy thread. But nevertheless, thank you for wasting your time reading this. I hope I at least gave you a laugh.[/collapse]
Anyway, I personally think that out of all the FE candidates, Roy sticks out the most. I'm still feeling neutral towards Chrom. Wouldn't be upset if we get Marth, Ike, Chrom...just a bit disappointed really.
Can I be the mother of your babies?

Silliness aside, even if being unique is an important factor to think about in games like Super Smash Brothers, let's not forget popularity. Who are the cases of popularity in Brawl? Sonic, Lucario, and Wolf O'Donnel.

D

Deleted member

The idea of Roy becoming a dragon seems farfetched.
If Ninian is his mother, Roy would be part ice dragon, while the Sword of Seals is a fire sword that is particularly effective against Manaketes. Seems like a horrible contradiction.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The idea of Roy becoming a dragon seems farfetched.
If Ninian is his mother, Roy would be part ice dragon, while the Sword of Seals is a fire sword that is particularly effective against Manaketes. Seems like a horrible contradiction.
Believe it or not, it actually makes sense.

Dragon type is super effective on itself. ;) :laugh: :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Micaiah as Dark Mage wasn't such a bad thing. I like boobs. So I liked Micaiah's new outfit. How is this bad?

D

Deleted member

Roy is the a Fire Emblem Lord the only thing going for him is SSBM.... and nothing else...
Huh? He's no shoe-in, but there's more to Roy than just Melee.

Being planned for Brawl, being among the Top 10 most wanted characters (One of the two most wanted in Japan period) and being the most important lord of the Elibe arc is more than just Melee. Plus the Japanese loves Roy's game as it was received positively over there.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Huh? He's no shoe-in, but there's more to Roy than just Melee.

Being planned for Brawl, being among the Top 10 most wanted characters (One of the two most wanted in Japan period) and being the most important lord of the Elibe arc is more than just Melee. Plus the Japanese loves Roy's game as it was received positively over there.
Planned and then scrapped is more of a disadvantage than it being an advantage, it's like he blew his chance, and the Japanese are all over Chrom and Lucina now, So I'm pretty sure Awakening has the priority here...

D

Deleted member

Planned and then scrapped is more of a disadvantage than it being an advantage, it's like he blew his chance, and the Japanese are all over Chrom and Lucina now, So I'm pretty sure Awakening has the priority here...
How does being planned but having to be cut due to time constraints indicate he blew his chance? If anything, being planned for Brawl but cut due to time constraints indicates that Sakurai is interested in Roy and hasn't dismissed him yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Planned and then scrapped is more of a disadvantage than it being an advantage
Actually, it is an advantage because he was not scrapped willingly by Sakurai. He was forced to cut to him due to having less time, so the chances are high he would try to bring him back this time. I suppose only time will tell.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
How does being planned but having to be cut due to time constraints indicate he blew his chance? If anything, being planned for Brawl but cut due to time constraints indicates that Sakurai is interested in Roy and hasn't dismissed him yet.
As I remember the reason for his cut was never publicized, being scrapped = Disposable, Sakurai seems that he prefers to include the newer and that's show by Ike being chosen to be developed before Roy.

D

Deleted member

As I remember the reason for his cut was never publicized, being scrapped = Disposable, Sakurai seems that he prefers to include the newer and that's show by Ike being chosen to be developed before Roy.
Roy had an unique victory files in the game after he was scrapped, along with Mewtwo. Considering that Wolf didn't get one and got in, it's reasonable to indicate that he was scrapped for time rather than because Sakurai wanted to replace Roy with Ike. Plus Sakurai stated that he had many characters he wanted in the game, but couldn't get in.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I think they have equal chances. :)
That's quite hopeful I'd say, this is Fire Emblem Awakening the most popular Fire Emblem to date, it's basically the best reviewed Fire Emblem, Sakurai will have to take a character from it if he plan a new character for Fire Emblem if he wouldn't I bet they would push him to choose one.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
See guys I don't want to undermine Roy here, but do you seriously see him having better chance than Awakening main characters ?
They're about even IMO. Don't really care who gets it in the end, but Roy gets an extra few points from me for arguably offering more. Would rather just bet on 4 characters now that Pokemon is all cleaned up.

Sakurai has not discussed a single character that was not in Smash Bros. since Brawl's release aside from Ridley.
What about Dixie and the Animal Crosser?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What about Dixie and the Animal Crosser?
He talked about the Animal Crosser before Brawl's release, same with Dixie Kong (though that one was much closer to the release of Brawl I think). I am not as certain about Dixie Kong, but Sakurai did mention the "Animal Crossing is too peaceful to have a fighting character" bit in an Iwata Asks that came out before Brawl was released.

D

Deleted member

He talked about the Animal Crosser before Brawl's release, same with Dixie Kong (though that one was much closer to the release of Brawl I think). I am not as certain about Dixie Kong, but Sakurai did mention the "Animal Crossing is too peaceful to have a fighting character" bit in an Iwata Asks that came out before Brawl was released.
Dixie Kong was a result of Sakurai running into complications with the team IIRC.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Dixie Kong was a result of Sakurai running into complications with the team IIRC.
Dixie and Diddy were supposed to play in a similar -yet different- way like the Ice Climbers, right? I wonder what could have caused complications.

Back to Fire Emblem characters, whereas Ike has a huge amount of fans wanting him back, Japan does not seem to pay much attention to him at the moment. As it was mentioned before, Awakening (Chrom and Lucina) are taking the spotlight. Roy still remains a popular contender to return, and that's about what I know of Japan. Regarding uniqueness, let's take into picture what Awakening has allowed: re-classing (introduced in FE11, but Marth was unable to re-class). But would that make them like Link? For example Chrom using bows -one of his reclassing options being Archer-, among other things.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Dixie and Diddy were supposed to play in a similar -yet different- way like the Ice Climbers, right? I wonder what could have caused complications.

Back to Fire Emblem characters, whereas Ike has a huge amount of fans wanting him back, Japan does not seem to pay much attention to him at the moment. As it was mentioned before, Awakening (Chrom and Lucina) are taking the spotlight. Roy still remains a popular contender to return, and that's about what I know of Japan. Regarding uniqueness, let's take into picture what Awakening has allowed: re-classing (introduced in FE11, but Marth was unable to re-class). But would that make them like Link? For example Chrom using bows -one of his reclassing options being Archer-, among other things.
This how things look now :

Marth> Awakening Characters > Ike >>> Roy

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

Do you really see Ike crushing Roy like that right now? I dunno, you may be right, but I doubt that the difference is that big. Ever since Roy's data was confirmed to be in the disk of Brawl, there was an ourtage, and that has greatly increased his demand to be back.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike-Sama is totally right here guys. HUGE disadvantage.

I mean, just look at Mewtwo. Blew his chance BIG TIME. Who would ever thing Mewtwo would have a chance of getting in SSB4, right? Just imagine for a sec if he was like, somehow the closest character to a shoe-in for SSB4.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I see it like this

Marth > everyone else

Within "everyone else", all have near equal chances.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Besides the fact that I disagree with this completely, I really think we should find a new topic besides Roy vs Chrom & complaining about Awakening/FE discussions in general.

•Col•

Smash Champion

Stop giving that bull****.

This is the second time now you've lied about your own opinions just to try to win arguments. And this is the second time I've called you out on this same lie.

Do I have to pull up that post of yours again where you said Ike has a better chance of getting in over any FE13 characters?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Do you really see Ike crushing Roy like that right now? I dunno, you may be right, but I doubt that the difference is that big. Ever since Roy's data was confirmed to be in the disk of Brawl, there was an ourtage, and that has greatly increased his demand to be back.
OFC I do, if it was Ike or Roy it would be stupid to go with Roy over Ike....and I really don't think Sakurai is that stupid...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I see it like this

Marth > everyone else

Within "everyone else", all have near equal chances.
Pretty much the only right way of looking at things.

As for Roy, he's pretty bland, but at least there is some form of distinction worth talking about. Can't really say the same for Chrom and to a lesser extent Lucina. But again, it's still nothing exactly special to brag about.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Ike-Sama is totally right here guys. HUGE disadvantage.

I mean, just look at Mewtwo. Blew his chance BIG TIME. Who would ever thing Mewtwo would have a chance of getting in SSB4, right? Just imagine for a sec if he was like, somehow the closest character to a shoe-in for SSB4.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT
Dude seriously what do you have against me ? I state my opinion with firmness and no jokes, you just want to make me look like a joke so people undermine me and by that they will automatically undermine my opinion...

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
OFC I do, if it was Ike or Roy it would be stupid to go with Roy over Ike....and I really don't think Sakurai is that stupid...
...Your point? I don't know, I'm trying to be nice with you, but your arguments aren't making sense now... It's really hard to understand what you're getting at.

Is it "Ike's my favorite character so I say that he'll be in. The opinion of the rest be damned."? If so, that's wrong. you gotta remain neutral and go along to the facts. I mean, my favorite is Roy, no doubt. But I'm also alert of the fact that he may not make it, and other character such as Chrom or Lucina may make it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom