• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Dark Ike.

The alternative universe where Soren kills Nasir after he learns he is a traitor. Since Lehran's Medallion never left Mist's side and Ike's team never had to go on a detour, they end up fighting Ashnard before they are adequately trained. In the final battle against Ashnard, a desperate struggle for survival would have Ike take Lehran's Medallion from Mist and use its unlimited power to cut the mad king down.

Unfortunately, Ashnard would not be the only one Ike cut down, as the imbalances of chaos within his mind would lead him to massacre his comrades and countrymen. Daein, and soon all of Tellius, would be single-handedly rendered to rubble by the Mad King Ike. With the divine blade Ragnell in one hand and Lehran's Medallion in the other, there is only one man and one blade who can stop him.

And no. Volke fails. Don't ruin this for me. This was just a troll post, anyways. Don't take it seriously, please.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Dark Ike.

The alternative universe where Soren kills Nasir after he learns he is a traitor. Since Lehran's Medallion never left Mist's side and Ike's team never had to go on a detour, they end up fighting Ashnard before they are adequately trained. In the final battle against Ashnard, a desperate struggle for survival would have Ike take Lehran's Medallion from Mist and use its unlimited power to cut the mad king down.

Unfortunately, Ashnard would not be the only one Ike cut down, as the imbalances of chaos within his mind would lead him to massacre his comrades and countrymen. Daein, and soon all of Tellius, would be single-handedly rendered to rubble by the Mad King Ike. With the divine blade Ragnell in one hand and Lehran's Medallion in the other, there is only one man and one blade who can stop him.

And no. Volke fails. Don't ruin this for me. This was just a troll post, anyways. Don't take it seriously, please.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
List of good villians
  1. Validar
  2. Black Knight
  3. Validar
  4. Lyon
  5. Validar
  6. Caellach
  7. Validar
...Did I mention my Validar?

Okay seriously here Validar would make a great villian. Gangrel too. Those are the two most likely in my opinion, but it's unlikely we'll get either one.

Hong

The Strongest
List of good villians
  1. Validar
  2. Black Knight
  3. Validar
  4. Lyon
  5. Validar
  6. Caellach
  7. Validar
Hmm... I don't know about them. I think you missed a good option. How about this guy?

What's his name again? Vile? Voldo? Varimathras?

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Hmm... I don't know about them. I think you missed a good option. How about this guy?

What's his name again? Vile? Voldo? Varimathras?
Nah... Too mainstream

Hong

The Strongest
He's a good guy in Fire Emblem 1, which I believe Shadow Dragon is a remake of, but he turns evil somehow in Fire Emblem 2.
Close. It was after FE1, becoming corrupted before book 2 of FE3, so FE2 isn't really in this equation. Technically, I suppose by the time FE2 chapter 5 concluded, Hardin would have already fallen under the corruption of the Darksphere, though the games have two different perspectives with the only indication of time lapse being found in Camus.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't think it works that way. The only reason Tharja is so popular is because of neckbeards who are obsessed with Overly Attached Girfriend. And just because a character is popular doesn't mean Sakurai will put in a seemingly random minor character. Instead of putting in a minor character who has only been in one game, why not a main character who has only been in one game?
I said could not will.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think that Ike keeping red fire Eruption hs killed all chances for Roy now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Black Knight? Validar? Hardin? Lyon? Who are those weaklings compared to the Conqueror himself?

Kneel before him, mortals.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Awww. Walhart... I forgot all about him. He NEEDS an assist. He's personally one of my favorites from FE.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I think Walhart's basis for what he had done did not receive enough elaboration and attention. Everything about the Valm saga felt rushed, and the player didn't have enough time or enough reason to care about the characters.

I don't think Walhart needs to have his own game, but a protagonist with those motives and personality would be a lot more interesting than most of the leads we have had.

Hong

The Strongest
There should be a special fire emblem assist item like the pokeball and special flag!
The idea of Einherjar has come up in this thread more than once.

Unanimously agreed upon to be an awesome idea, though since we have already seen Lyn as an Assist Trophy, I'm not feeling it.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Think that Ike keeping red fire Eruption hs killed all chances for Roy now.
Please, all, let's discuss this. I can see why this makes sense, but does anyone still think Roy has a shot at making it anymore?

I would be happy with his inclusion, moreso than some other popular choices, but I think it's situation based. I would say if we get 3 Fire Emblem characters, the next to be added is an Awakening rep. A fourth would be Roy.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Please, all, let's discuss this. I can see why this makes sense, but does anyone still think Roy has a shot at making it anymore?

I would be happy with it. I would say if we get 3 Fire Emblem characters, the next to be added is an Awakening rep. A fourth would be Roy.
I'd honestly feel robbed if we got Roy as our Fire Emblem "newcomer". He was cool, but he should not be getting in the way of a character with a unique moveset.

On how this affects his chances; I don't think it means much. Roy was planned even with Ike's neutral b. I doubt that would get in his way this time for some reason.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just don't think Roy had much of a chance to begin with, really.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I remember back than before RD was released, with all the speculation, I thought that Ike and Black Knight were brothers and they were the children of Ashnard...so I thought that when Greil ran away from Daein he took them with him, and raised them as his own, he taught Zelgius sword play when he was little, but than Zelgius always knew that Ashnard is his real father and ran away from Greil, and Ike stayed with greil because he was still an infant when Zelgius ran away....Man that would've been a real cool story for Fire Emblem...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Regardless of whether it affects Roy's chances, I'm just upset that Eruption isn't blue. Ike is the HERO OF BLUE FLAMES.

WHY AREN'T HIS FLAMES BLUE, SAKURAI?

Hong

The Strongest
We all like to talk about how many Fire Emblem characters we will have playable. Most say three, but I wouldn't say the people who claim only two or even up to four are crazy.

But how many Assist Trophies do you think they will have? Surely we will have at minimum two, since Lyn was copied over. I would like to think that since there is no Subspace Emissary, the time needed to program the AI won't be so severe. It's not like Assist Trophies need to be 100% balanced, and even some obscure bugs or glitches that may happen once every hundred thousand matches won't make anyone too upset as long as the game doesn't crash. So that said, hopefully they can crank them up this time.

Metroid is confirmed to have three Assist Trophies, assuming the Metroid itself returns. I would like to think at least four Fire Emblem trophies are possible. Lyn, one with a persistent AI that chases after stuff to attack it, and at least two others with somewhat static effects. I think a Cleric or something would be really cool.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We all like to talk about how many Fire Emblem characters we will have playable. Most say three, but I wouldn't say the people who claim only two or even up to four are crazy.

But how many Assist Trophies do you think they will have? Surely we will have at minimum two, since Lyn was copied over. I would like to think that since there is no Subspace Emissary, the time needed to program the AI won't be so severe. It's not like Assist Trophies need to be 100% balanced, and even some obscure bugs or glitches that may happen once every hundred thousand matches won't make anyone too upset as long as the game doesn't crash. So that said, hopefully they can crank them up this time.
(Newcomer... been lurking for the past few weeks but recent posts in this topic got me to sign up. :p)

Sakurai stated during the direct that they plan to add a LOT more Assist Trophies this time around. I could easily see 4-6 FE Assists, though I think 4 may be a pretty decent number there. Micaiah I think for sure may get the AT treatment and perhaps Leif. If they decide to go by popularity as well, Tharja might make it (though frankly I don't like the idea of Tharja because of how inconsequential she is to the story). They could also pick both a popular and important non-Lord character (which Tharja isn't), though that remains to be seen.

As for playables, I agree, I could see between 2-4. Especially if they do want to include Chrom, but realized he would be much different from Ike or Marth, so they make Chrom a semi-clone and include an FE villain (preferably a mage, granted most major FE villains are mages) with a more original moveset. That's really the only way I wouldn't mind Chrom getting in.

What's with all this villain discussion, though, and no Alviss or Zephiel? As the two most popular villains in the series (as far as I'm aware) I'd say either of them would be the perfect candidate. Since Alviss is a main villain from FE4 (yeah he's not the Final Boss or real main villain, but whatev) and could in theory have sparked the events of all future conflicts in the timeline (Jugdral is pre-Akaneia, correct?) that actually makes Alviss one of the most significant villains in the series.

Honestly, if any non-Awakening villain makes it in, I think it'd be Alviss. He'd be more original (and easier to set up) than the Black Knight or Zephiel, and he'd represent Jugdral, too. Plus, he's not a generic evil Dark Mage like Gharnef, Manfroy, or Validar. Honestly I think Validar would be the worst choice from Awakening. Aversa would be better; at least she has an interesting backstory, can use lances AND magic, and is like Alviss, Zephiel, and Black Knight where they're all tragic villains. Plus Aversa is female, though I don't really care more for Aversa's sexualized design. :p

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
(Newcomer... been lurking for the past few weeks but recent posts in this topic got me to sign up. :p)
Welcome to the forums. :D We could always use a fresh side of meat to pummel.
Sakurai stated during the direct that they plan to add a LOT more Assist Trophies this time around. I could easily see 4-6 FE Assists, though I think 4 may be a pretty decent number there. Micaiah I think for sure may get the AT treatment and perhaps Leif.
Any reason you chose Leif in particular? I actually like FE5 and Leif a lot, but I was curious if anything made him stand out more than other traditional lords.
What's with all this villain discussion, though, and no Alviss or Zephiel? As the two most popular villains in the series (as far as I'm aware) I'd say either of them would be the perfect candidate. Since Alviss is a main villain from FE4 (yeah he's not the Final Boss or real main villain, but whatev) and could in theory have sparked the events of all future conflicts in the timeline (Jugdral is pre-Akaneia, correct?) that actually makes Alviss one of the most significant villains in the series.
I think the selling point here is Zephiel's weapon. I would imagine him to be something of a mid-range fighter compared to other Fire Emblem characters. Not particularly fast and not as strong as Ike, but has good pokes and control, thanks to Eckesashs' ranged attack.

The thing with spellcasters, dark magic especially, is they can basically shape it into whatever form they want. Globes of dark power, dark lightning, shockwaves that leave a trail of miasma... You actually have a lot of viable characters who can accomplish the same thing, within Fire Emblem and out. In that regard, I like Celica, Robin, and even Golden Sun's Isaac in that they are also skilled with the sword, and that sexy disjointed hitbox can really open up possibilities from a design standpoint. Gaiden is, in my opinion, an awesome game and I would kill to have Celica, but a good reason why I rather have Robin is because she could appeal to fans internationally. Granted, if Nintendo wants to localize/remake Gaiden, all the better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The issue with Arvis being considered goes back to the whole relevancy/recency argument. Sure, Roy was included back with Marth (in order to advertise FE as part of a plan to bring it overseas) and was planned for Brawl, but he didn't make it I imagine because they wanted to develop more recent and recognizable characters first (in this case Ike). It also doesn't help that Roy wasn't in any games that were released overseas (barring his DLC appearance in Awakening). Arvis has the same issue, he's from a much older game than Awakening, and is also from a game that was never released outside of Japan and thus is probably not well known or recognized internationally as a character from Awakening or the other international Fire Emblem titles. Keep in mind that the inclusion of a character more often than not is for the sake of hype-building in addition to being a fun and unique entry to the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The issue with Arvis being considered goes back to the whole relevancy/recency argument. Sure, Roy was included back with Marth (in order to advertise FE as part of a plan to bring it overseas) and was planned for Brawl, but he didn't make it I imagine because they wanted to develop more recent and recognizable characters first (in this case Ike). It also doesn't help that Roy wasn't in any games that were released overseas (barring his DLC appearance in Awakening). Arvis has the same issue, he's from a much older game than Awakening, and is also from a game that was never released outside of Japan and thus is probably not well known or recognized internationally as a character from Awakening or the other international Fire Emblem titles. Keep in mind that the inclusion of a character more often than not is for the sake of hype-building in addition to being a fun and unique entry to the game.
That really wasn't my point, people brought up several villains which really aren't that relevant anymore either. Plus, Awakening's style in my opinion would be perfect to remake the Jugdral games as well. They could even already have plans to remake Jugdral. They may have to tweak a few things, such as not having the first gen characters level up as fast and have most of the first gen return in second gen (to appeal to casuals so they wouldn't be losing characters), but I could see it working out well.

If they want to do another game with the whole "generations" style, a remake of the Jugdral games would be the perfect way to go about it (perhaps with the events of Thracia 776 included). They might have to drop the larger maps aspect of Geneology for it to work, though. But I bring up Arvis because Jugdral has no representation yet, and if they want to represent a non-Awakening game, Jugdral would be the way to go. If they also want to represent a villain, Arvis in my opinion fits it perfectly.

Any reason you chose Leif in particular? I actually like FE5 and Leif a lot, but I was curious if anything made him stand out more than other traditional lords.I think the selling point here is Zephiel's weapon. I would imagine him to be something of a mid-range fighter compared to other Fire Emblem characters. Not particularly fast and not as strong as Ike, but has good pokes and control, thanks to Eckesashs' ranged attack.
Main reason I suggest Arvis over Zephiel is, again, the issue with Jugdral having no representation. And Zephiel I think is way to slow for a playable character, though he could work as a boss instead of the Black Knight (who'd be the more likely candidate if they had a Radiant Dawn based stage). I don't think General-type classes would translate well but I dunno, Sakurai could make it work.

Leif as an Assist for multiple reasons. Leif promoted to Master Knight in Geneology which allows him to use literally anything, plus he was considered for Smash Bros. before Roy. Granted, he could also be suggested for a playable character, too. Like Arvis he can use any weapon and magic. Leif and Arvis are probably the best two picks from Jugdral (Leif is a main character in both games, Arvis is the most well-known antagonist from that series), so the other one could be an Assist... Leif as a Master Knight would be great, for example.

Or they could just represent characters from the single-game series' as Assists. I wouldn't mind a character from both Gaiden and Sacred Stones, too.

The thing with spellcasters, dark magic especially, is they can basically shape it into whatever form they want. Globes of dark power, dark lightning, shockwaves that leave a trail of miasma... You actually have a lot of viable characters who can accomplish the same thing, within Fire Emblem and out. In that regard, I like Celica, Robin, and even Golden Sun's Isaac in that they are also skilled with the sword, and that sexy disjointed hitbox can really open up possibilities from a design standpoint. Gaiden is, in my opinion, an awesome game and I would kill to have Celica, but a good reason why I rather have Robin is because she could appeal to fans internationally. Granted, if Nintendo wants to localize/remake Gaiden, all the better.
I'd love the idea of a character who uses both a weapon and magic. However, I would also like a character that JUST uses magic. The closest to that is Zelda, and that doesn't even apply to her anymore now that she can summon phantom (and technically, it never did, because she could transform into Sheik who was entirely physical). Isaac I definitely want, but I'd also like a rep whose entirely magic and FE is perfect for that.[/quote]

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think any non-Lord FE character stands a chance, let alone a villain. That said, if we were to get a Villain, I'd think we should get Gharnef. The original FE villain, not to mention a recurring villain and an inspiration for many FE villains to come.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think any non-Lord FE character stands a chance, let alone a villain. That said, if we were to get a Villain, I'd think we should get Gharnef. The original FE villain, not to mention a recurring villain and an inspiration for many FE villains to come.
*cough*

Also, Robin technically isn't a Lord :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, Medeus has been around for a while. Still, Gharnef is the real main antagonist of the Akaneia games, since he's the one who sets the events of the games in motion.
In that case, "technically" Alm, Celica, and Micaiah aren't either. :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gharnef is the single villain I was trying to avoid because if we were to get someone else that's not from Awakening as a playable, my bets would be on Jugdral. Since its the only other FE series with more than one game. That's also why I doubt Micaiah would be playable; we already have Ike from Tellius.

*cough*

It doesn't matter if they don't specifically have the Lord class. If they are mandatory and them dying in-game caused a game over no matter what (doesn't apply for characters who have this only for specific chapters) they are Lords.

Hong

The Strongest
Does anyone seriously want a stock generic dark wizard bootleg Emperor Palpatine as a playable character?

Certainly not a reason to have a villain for the sake of having a villain. Gharnef and anyone like him can stay dead. It's not like the villains in Fire Emblem have as much screen time as heroes, and most certainly are scarcely recurring. Different from characters like Bowser or Ganondorf which are actually important in their series.

I am happy with just having the good guys.
I'd love the idea of a character who uses both a weapon and magic. However, I would also like a character that JUST uses magic. The closest to that is Zelda, and that doesn't even apply to her anymore now that she can summon phantom (and technically, it never did, because she could transform into Sheik who was entirely physical). Isaac I definitely want, but I'd also like a rep whose entirely magic and FE is perfect for that.
Not like it matters much.

Link, thematics aside, could function entirely without his sword if not for the fact it is so instrumental to his character image. By that I mean, his tools in Smash Bros define his play style more than his sword. Even if a character has a sword thematically, it doesn't really have to define them, and I don't really think it has to take anything away.

That said, I am 100% okay with a Robin who exclusively uses tomes, if that's what they want. The cinematics suggest that's her thing, so I'm okay with that. Certainly no shortage of move possibilities.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Gharnef is the single villain I was trying to avoid because if we were to get someone else that's not from Awakening as a playable, my bets would be on Jugdral. Since its the only other FE series with more than one game. That's also why I doubt Micaiah would be playable; we already have Ike from Tellius.
Yeah, It'd be nice to see Jugdral get some love in Smash (seriously, it didn't get so much as a sticker in it). I just don't think any of the Jugdral villains come close to Gharnef's level IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom