• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I liked FE: Awakening, but it didn't stood so much on me as FE9, FE4 or FE7 (this one is personal bias, because it was my first FE).

I accept that is very likely that we will get a character for FE A, but they're not appealing to me.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've never quite understood why this bothers people so much to be honest. FE has had support oriented pairing before in past games. Awakening just took it to, I admit, an more extreme verison and open ended the pairing progress.
The other games didn't have a mary sue "self-insert" that had more freedom with pairing than any other character. That's the difference.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I liked FE: Awakening, but it didn't stood so much on me as FE9, FE4 or FE7 (this one is personal bias, because it was my first FE).

I accept that is very likely that we will get a character for FE A, but they're not appealing to me.
Robin is my favorite possible rep, everyone else is stuck with the same sword and hair. I do see Chrom going in with his fire emblem shield, that would make him something unique. Ike is still slow and Marth is still fast(er). Robin with a tome and Chrom with a shield, both having sword would be a great idea. More original then the brawl and melee FE reps. I used to think Chrom was dull but now he's something better. Sakurai will most likely do something to give Chrom a unique fighting style, so the shield would be a great choice.

Morbi

Scavenger
It took me a really long time, but as of current, I finally don't even care which Fire Emblem character Sakurai chooses. Before, I wanted Robin but I was open to pretty much anyone. However; now, it doesn't even matter if we get one in my opinion. I will still be excited at the reveal, but at this point, it is irrelevant who they reveal.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The other games didn't have a mary sue "self-insert" that had more freedom with pairing than any other character. That's the difference.
Yes, I'm aware how annoying people can be about the whole 'waifu' thing, but I am also of the opinion that people allow themselves to be bothered far more about that then is worth granting attention to. It's not like the lack of a self-insertion has prevent people from writing awful self-insertion fanfics or the like before Awakening if someone really wanted to do it.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Since it was pointed out to me, I would like to point out Kellam's positioning on the boxart to you all.

Ur 2 slaow!

Lol jk, but yeah, I laughed really hard when I first realized that :chuckle:. IS was determined to keep that joke running, even on the boxart.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
So is this a bad thing? It would make zero sense to only have Robin be able to support with certain characters. With features like permadeath and deep back stories for each characters, FE is all about caring about your most beloved soldiers, and the revamped support system allowed you to do so with full force and control. It is genius and pretty much the epitome of what FE does best vs other similar games. The sheer amount of work that went into the quantity/quality of the supports is further accentuated by how lackluster RD was at handled them.

The waifu thing is funny or whatever, but it just irks me that ppl can complain about one of the best and most fun features about Awakening that had a lot of work put into it. It didn't come out of left field either, neither was it arbitrary, as it greatly affected combat and strategy. The tactician idea was already a concept in Blazing Sword. IS combined that idea with supports, it was just, ugh, perfect <3

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've never quite understood why this bothers people so much to be honest. FE has had support oriented pairing before in past games. Awakening just took it to, I admit, an more extreme verison and open ended the pairing progress.
It wouldn't really be that painful if the characters were actually appealing and the proposals weren't so forced.

Seriously, I think many of proposals came out of nowhere with no sense of progression.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Dunno, but since the FE series was on the brink of extinction, I do have more tolerance in regards to the fanservice in Awakening. They just shoved everything in -- the whole "Marth" scenario, heck, even having the Lord a descendant of Marth, expanding the supports, the DLC, etc., I think helped broaden the audience. It's a big change, I think. Though the transition from FE5 --> FE6 is kinda similar I suppose; a whole new coat of paint to help the game become more accessible, if that makes any sense.

However, I do think some of the supports weren't handled the best and the proposals just seemed awkward at times. I know I've said this before, but I feel as though if IS wants to expand the dating sim-like elements, I feel as though I'd prefer a separate spin-off game, which I guess SMT x FE technically is. I'm wondering how things will be handled in this game now...

On a different note, I don't know if this happens in other games, but in FE6 there's a support I really like. It basically indirectly talks about the support system, and how talking with others is beneficial. And I think that's pretty cool -- the more bonds you create with others the more your heart is linked to them, having benefits in battle (or something along those lines...).

And I think there was a support where they talk a little on how the weapon triangle works and the history of it. I really wish there's more supports like this.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
FE14 on the WiiU. It will have an online competitive mode. Several different maps and you choose who to put on the field.

It will be a sequal to Sacred Stones and connect their world to Path of Radience.

Advanced support conversations, similar to Katawa Shojo, Clannad, and Newgrounds dating sims.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So is this a bad thing? It would make zero sense to only have Robin be able to support with certain characters.
That wasn't what I meant. Robin gets more freedom with pairing than any other character, to the point of being the only character who can marry units like Tiki and Say'ri, and the only first Gen character who can marry second generation characters.

Also, what Xenoblaze said.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
FE14 on the WiiU. It will have an online competitive mode.
I lost all hope to see a FE on Wii U longtime ago, a second 3DS FE is more likely. Multiplayer mode it's not too exciting, but at least, it could be fun like the Advance Wars multiplayer, the only problem is a little too darn defensive gamemode and take too much time to finish a single match.

Several different maps and you choose who to put on the field.
We don't have that already? more details please :)

It will be a sequal to Sacred Stones and connect their world to Path of Radience.
Magvell meets Tellius? that could be interesting.

Advanced support conversations, similar to Katawa Shojo, Clannad, and Newgrounds dating sims
That's too difficult, I'm fine with Awakening's support system, I only want to be able to choose different routes depending on my decisions.

Hong

The Strongest
FE14 on the WiiU. It will have an online competitive mode. Several different maps and you choose who to put on the field.

Advanced support conversations, similar to Katawa Shojo, Clannad, and Newgrounds dating sims.
I always figured Sacred Stones would be connected to Gaiden, and thus connected to the original.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
That wasn't what I meant. Robin gets more freedom with pairing than any other character, to the point of being the only character who can marry units like Tiki and Say'ri, and the only first Gen character who can marry second generation characters.

Also, what Xenoblaze said.
I kinda liked the idea of Robin being able to support whit everyone... heck he/she can even romance Aversa, Gangrel and Walhart. but with such amount of dialogue i guess is only natural if some of it is subpar...

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Since there were three characters slated for Brawl and Sakurai isn't messing around with a story mode this time round (he made it pretty clear that gameplay was a priority) I put money on 3 FE characters.

Don't ask me who it's gonna be, though. Couldn't tell you and it would just start flaming.

Hong

The Strongest
Marth and Chrom. Ike if they can conjure forth the power of the pocket Nigerian Prince to deliver all your fantasies.

Worry not, dear friend. I have been flamed enough that my body has become a fire-proof mass of scar tissue.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
While I imagine that he won't be playable, what are your thoughts on having Frederick as an assist trophy?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So is this a bad thing? It would make zero sense to only have Robin be able to support with certain characters. With features like permadeath and deep back stories for each characters, FE is all about caring about your most beloved soldiers, and the revamped support system allowed you to do so with full force and control. It is genius and pretty much the epitome of what FE does best vs other similar games. The sheer amount of work that went into the quantity/quality of the supports is further accentuated by how lackluster RD was at handled them.

The waifu thing is funny or whatever, but it just irks me that ppl can complain about one of the best and most fun features about Awakening that had a lot of work put into it. It didn't come out of left field either, neither was it arbitrary, as it greatly affected combat and strategy. The tactician idea was already a concept in Blazing Sword. IS combined that idea with supports, it was just, ugh, perfect <3
Yeah, I would be fine with that aspect of Awakening

If they did in fact give every character a deep backstory, and not just a personality trait that was played to death.

And if Robin felt more like a character and less tabula rasa and boring.

With apologies to Hong.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I can't get excited about the prospect of Robin in Smash. Even though I squealed with happiness that that the tactician as player character concept from FE7 that was toyed with was finally real, and Robin was a swordmage to boot. I was ecstatic, I assure you, and really enjoyed the Gangrel arc.

Then I kept unlocking supports, the story kept dragging on without improving in quality and Robin remained as robotic as ever, interacting with a troupe of character archetypes. I'd love to slash'n'cast in Smash, but I want a representative that means much more to me and Fire Emblem than Robin does.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

If they did in fact give every character a deep backstory, and not just a personality trait that was played to death.

With apologies to Hong.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I can't get excited about the prospect of Robin in Smash. Even though I squealed with happiness that that the tactician as player character concept from FE7 that was toyed with was finally real, and Robin was a swordmage to boot. I was ecstatic, I assure you, and really enjoyed the Gangrel arc.

Then I kept unlocking supports, the story kept dragging on without improving in quality and Robin remained as robotic as ever, interacting with a troupe of character archetypes. I'd love to slash'n'cast in Smash, but I want a representative that means much more to me and Fire Emblem than Robin does.
But...lack of personality doesn't really mean much in SSB. Robin would still be the mage and tactician that would diversify Fire Emblem's representation arguably more than any other character. Robin was bland, but her powers are not.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

With apologies to Hong.

A lot of the characters in smash have no personality.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
The problem with FE is that all main characters are extremely dull and they are the ones that have the highest chances. Ike is the only one that did some justice in the personality department. I'm looking through Awakening's cast and I can at least associate one perk/vice/personality trait with each character, and Chrom and Robin are the hardest to do so.
Lissa - Annoying and childish
Frederick - Hates bear meat
Sully - Butch
Virion - Womanizer
Stahl - Scatterbrain
Vaike - Hooligan
Miriel - Computer
Sumia - Super Wavedash
Kellam -
Donnel - Country
Lon'qu - Scared of woman
.... and so on

Chrom - um... never gives up!
Robin - uh, gets along with everyone, uh, never gives up... damn it.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The problem with FE is that all main characters are extremely dull and they are the ones that have the highest chances. Ike is the only one that did some justice in the personality department. I'm looking through Awakening's cast and I can at least associate one perk/vice/personality trait with each character, and Chrom and Robin are the hardest to do so.
Sully - Butch
Virion - Womanizer
Stahl - Scatterbrain
Vaike - Hooligan
Miriel - Computer
Sumia - Super Wavedash
Kellam -
Donnel - Country
Lon'qu - Scared of woman
.... and so on

Well Chrom has some moments of hot-headedness, but I think the point of Chrom was to be a bit more normal and well-rounded. His Shepherds are more a band of misfits than a royal army and he surrounds himself with some odd characters. He's also really laid back considering his leader position. Granted, this can be said about few FE lords but it's not as if there's nothing to his character.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Well Chrom has some moments of hot-headedness, but I think the point of Chrom was to be a bit more normal and well-rounded. His Shepherds are more a band of misfits than a royal army and he surrounds himself with some odd characters. He's also really laid back considering his leader position. Granted, this can be said about few FE lords but it's not as if there's nothing to his character.
Yeah, he has some qualities, but they are just too tame. Granted, he needs to be that way because of his main character status and his position in the game, but that's the problem itself.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Sully - Butch
Virion - Womanizer
Stahl - Scatterbrain
Vaike - Hooligan
Miriel - Computer
Sumia - Super Wavedash
Kellam -
Donnel - Country
Lon'qu - Scared of woman
.... and so on

For Chrom you could put - brainlessly follows Robin because he can't think for himself, and he doesn't question any of Robin's decisions no matter how rash they may be.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't know, if they were trying to make a straight man as a foil to the varies misfits, I wouldn't exactly say they did it right. I think my main problem is that if you want to extract the interesting stuff out of Chrom, you'll have to do a lot of optional stuff like supports. Even then not all of the supports are that interesting. In fact I only remember like two supports off the top of my head that I enjoyed, which is the Chrom vs. Vaike cook off with Chrom "winning" due to this poor cooking knocking out Vaike, and of course the infamous support with Fredrick making embarrassing posters depicting Chrom naked. I can't really remember anything else.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom is interesting. He twirls his sword around, wears a cape that is blown by the wind in all environments, and has a pretty sick tat.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Chrom is interesting. He twirls his sword around, wears a cape that is blown by the wind in all environments, and has a pretty sick tat.
Those can only get you so far though... unless he can glide with his cape, or something.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
AT: Generic Soldier #126

Once summoned, yells "MY LORD!" and acts all smug with that pointy hat of his, quickly dashing forward with his lance over a reasonable distance. Opponents caught in the initial thrust of the attack with receive insane horizontal knockback in the direction Soldier faces (think Porygon2 in Melee). Opponents caught near the end of the attack will still receive damage but no knockback. Damage dealt: 1%

Yeah, I loved Porygon2's attack. It's always fun trying to DI if you're caught (which is kinda hard to get hit, but it's still fun seeing players fly across the stage). I'd love to see it return somehow.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
AT: Generic Soldier #126

Once summoned, yells "MY LORD!" and acts all smug with that pointy hat of his, quickly dashing forward with his lance over a reasonable distance. Opponents caught in the initial thrust of the attack with receive insane horizontal knockback in the direction Soldier faces (think Porygon2 in Melee). Opponents caught near the end of the attack will still receive damage but no knockback. Damage dealt: 1%

Yeah, I loved Porygon2's attack. It's always fun trying to DI if you're caught (which is kinda hard to get hit, but it's still fun seeing players fly across the stage). I'd love to see it return somehow.

Hey, he's better than Chrom. Has more of a brain.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If Fire Emblem gets 3 reps it should be Marth, Ike and Micaiah with Radiant Dawn and Awakening having stages for Wii U and 3DS respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom