• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
She would best represent sure, but Chrom just has the upper edge (along with Lucina) with advertisement, I see it more likely that IS and Sakurai will pick Chrom for that very reason. It kinda relates to Rosalina with her being pushed by Nintendo for the Mario series. With that additional aspect, Chrom would best represent Awakening overall.
Also I see plots, re-classing, and marriage as unimportant to Sakurai's newcomer selection process.
I won't disagree that Chrom is more likely because of this. However, it's probably worth mentioning that we also got Greninja, a newcomer who wasn't used to advertise his game at all prior (and even after) the game came out.

I don't think being the face of the game matters as much if the character still promotes the game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It wouldn't matter completely. Because if it solely did, we would've gotten Yveltal and Xerneas insteas. :troll:

You got a good point, but Greninja isn't suppose to encompass the greatness of X and Y, Sakurai just wanted to look for a 6th Gen. Pokemon that he would find to make a unique character as stated in his Pokemon criteria.

I think FE and Pokemon are different situations. Unlike Pokemon, FE has someone notable who is being pushed for advertisement, that is Chrom.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It wouldn't matter completely. Because if it solely did, we would've gotten Yveltal and Xerneas insteas. :troll:

You got a good point, but Greninja isn't suppose to encompass the greatness of X and Y, Sakurai just wanted to look for a 6th Gen. Pokemon that he would find to make a unique character as stated in his Pokemon criteria.

I think FE and Pokemon are different situations. Unlike Pokemon, FE has someone notable who is being pushed for advertisement, that is Chrom.
Does Chrom necessarily encompass the greatness of Fire Emblem Awakening? Kind of a redundant question, I suppose, since you've already mentioned how you don't count details like plot importance, re-classing, and marriage as points in Robin's favor. For me though, a lot of what made Fire Emblem Awakening such an enjoyable game was represented best through Robin.

Again, I won't disagree with that last statement. Except that Pokemon definitely pushed Mewtwo quite a bit in advertisements. It'd be a shame if he missed out on this game again.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Does Chrom necessarily encompass the greatness of Fire Emblem Awakening? Kind of a redundant question, I suppose, since you've already mentioned how you don't count details like plot importance, re-classing, and marriage as points in Robin's favor. For me though, a lot of what made Fire Emblem Awakening such an enjoyable game was represented best through Robin
Yes, but what would be those examples of "best represented through Robin" be then besides the points you mentioned that I thought were unimportant in the character selection process.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, but what would be those examples of "best represented through Robin" be then besides the points you mentioned that I thought were unimportant in the character selection process.
Well, aside from those aspects that are more specific to Awakening, Robin would also represent key concepts that are present throughout the Fire Emblem series, specifically tactics and magic. The latter of which, of course, is one of the primary reasons Robin can be a unique character, which is an ideal quality for a Smash candidate.

Now, if I may ask you a question, what aspects of Awakening does Chrom represent better than Robin?

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I don't even see what's wrong with Marth, Ike and Chrom. In my opinion, it's not that much different from Fox, Falco and Wolf. Better yet, it's more unique. Or what about the potential Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong? Hell, how about Lucario, Greninja, Mewtwo?

Think of it this way:

Let's pretend Pokémon's representiation in smash bros were the starters only but they need to be water type only. They're all unique but this doesn't properly embody the identity of variety found in pokémon. I hope that explains it a little bit.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Which is why I said "one" of the main characters. :p
There are other possible FE candidates. But they don't feel like strong candidates to best represent Awakening (except for Lucina for at least a close second).
He'll listen to the fans, but I think he'll naturally think Chrom is a better fit as playable.
Technically, Chrom and Robin are the two most important characters in the game, they share an equal amount of importance. Lucina would be the third most important in the story. I see Robin as a more likely choice than Lucina. Villager didn't have a specific appearance and they put him in, who says you can't just use Robins default look, it was the look the developers had you see first anyways.

Oh, I need to add something about Ike or the mods will attack me!

I think It'll be ok if they take out Ike and give Chrom some of his moves, but let him have some new moves too. That way we still have light and heavy, possibly the sworded mage too. If anything it's the play style we need not the character, since FE characters are easily replaceable. After all fire emblem and pokemon are the series that Sakura likes to swap characters the most.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
A better idea would to focus on adjusting Ike over wasting development time on Chrom.
Or have Chrom work as Ike, but with a couple new attacks to keep the fighting style fresh. I mean, he's just another FE character like Chrom. Why do people want Ike instead of "pseudo Ike" Chrom. You can't hold onto these characters forever. People change, people go, and there's nothing you can do to hold onto that last piece of nostalgia forever.

Wait, I have a better idea! What if they gave Ike's moveset to Shrek!

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Or have Chrom work as Ike, but with a couple new attacks to keep the fighting style fresh. I mean, he's just another FE character like Chrom. Why do people want Ike instead of "pseudo Ike" Chrom. You can't hold onto these characters forever. People change, people go, and there's nothing you can do to hold onto that last piece of nostalgia forever.

Why you want a pseudo-Ike, when you can have the real Ike?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Who's to say we can't keep Ike? He's still a fairly recent Fire Emblem character who's notable within the series and is referenced within Awakening. Just because he isn't the latest thing doesn't mean we have to toss him out.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Who's to say we can't keep Ike? He's still a fairly recent Fire Emblem character who's notable within the series and is referenced within Awakening. Just because he isn't the latest thing doesn't mean we have to toss him out.
But Samurai proved that was the case when he held Roy off for last in favor of Ike. Ike had priority. We can debate on whether Sakura will put a character in or not, but we'll never know until he says so. Although, debating is fun, so I'll keep typing away.

Forever...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But Samurai proved that was the case when he held Roy off for last in favor of Ike. Ike had priority. We can debate on whether Sakura will put a character in or not, but we'll never know until he says so. Although debating is fun, so I'll keep typing away.

Forever...
You do know it's "Sakurai," right?

Anyway, just because Roy (a clone character) was cut from Brawl, that doesn't mean that every Fire Emblem character who isn't Marth will automatically be cut in the next game. One instance of something happen doesn't create a pattern.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
But it does increase the likelihood of it happening again. It could signify the start of a pattern.

How about we keep Ike but turn him into M"Ike" Tyson, either that or Mr.Dream.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The thing that bothers me is that if Chrom tries to mimic Ike and likewise tries to get in over Ike, it will feel like a cheap way to shoehorn a character people are extremely lukewarm about. I mean, yes, I understand that Chrom does share characteristics with Ike, but still they are considered separate entities. Not to mention I think idea of Ike being phased out in favor of Chrom to be a step backwards, since Ike has that more rough style due to being more akin to a mercenary then a traditional Lord, while Chrom trails on more standard territory.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Lol, Awakening has all types of fanservice:

Yuri (LissaXMaribelle, SeveraXKjelle)
Yaoi (ChromXMaleRobin, LibraXVirion, InigoXGerome)
Lolicon (Nowi, Nah)
Shotacon (Ricken)
Tsundere (Severa)
Moe tripping girl (Sumia)
Imouto (Lissa)
Androgynous (Sully, Libra)
And more...

On topic: I don't think Ike will suffer the same destiny as Roy, but meh that's a dead horse. Anyway i have a hard time thinking of a crowd chant for Chrom and Robin, we have some nices ones like "Roy's our boy" or "We like Ike". You guys have some good chants?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

If this didn't happen with Sheik and Impa, I honestly doubt they'd do it for Chrom and Ike.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Actually here's an idea..How about Chrom uses the Fire Emblem similar to Captain Amercia. Actually in playstyle i want him to be similar to Cap but with a sword

Last edited:

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Chrom has got to be added surely, also if they add a 3rd FE character, Ike should return, he was a popular FE character, if not the most popular.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, but to those who think Chrom is in anyway a better character than Ike, Awakening must be you first Fire Emblem game. Ike has the most memorable personality and character of all the lords in the series, and whereas most lords are royal, Ike worked his up the respect ladder by himself. Ike is simply put, the greatest lord in the series, and although I do support Chrom, I in now way support him getting in in place of Ike.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I can say with near certainty that whatever FE newcomer we get will have priority over Ike. Ike is a cool character but hes not the FE mascot either.
Never said he was. Just think that he's more important than any FE Lord not named Marth.

Of course, Sakurai might not think that way. If that's the case, then I look forward to the day that Smash gets a new director.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Never said he was. Just think that he's more important than any FE Lord not named Marth.

Of course, Sakurai might not think that way. If that's the case, then I look forward to the day that Smash gets a new director.
No Fire Emblem lord is more important than the other. Each has their own game/s. Ike is just as important to the series as Chrom, Robin, Eirika, and Eliwood. Marth is the exception, he was the first to come and is therefore the mascot (Sorry, Get lost Anna) and represents the series better than any other charaacter.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm sorry, but Sakurai is not infallible. He's capable of making bad decisions. If he leaves the series and it gets a new director, hopefully that director wouldn't make the same mistakes Sakurai does.
This is a pretty board assumption really. A new director doesn't guranatee much in regards to results. We could get a director who cares even less about the Fire Emblem series nor does guranatee any particular character would be more likely simply because someone else in charge. Could it result in many choices, but I see this statement in too many places in regards to characters themselves. Though I cannot deny that it could definitely change up the roster, but it may change it up in way that could be positive or negative depending on your view of that director's situation.

Honestly even though Ike was my main in Brawl, I don't find myself nearly attached to him or any other character for that matter and I find the obessesion with him over any other FE character a little strange for some reason. Currently giving the previous cycle with brawl someone being put over Ike wouldn't be much different from the situation in Brawl with Ike and Roy. All and all it's just a theory as there is no evidence for Ike or another character other then the 3DS stage which is still a bit vague in relation to the roster.

To be honest at this point I wish they would either announce or deconfirm something related to FE characters as much like some aspect of the Ridley debate, some of this around about debate gets a little tiring at times.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I'm sorry, but Sakurai is not infallible. He's capable of making bad decisions. If he leaves the series and it gets a new director, hopefully that director wouldn't make the same mistakes Sakurai does.
It's better to leave it the way it is. Don't take any chances. The series could be tainted forever.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
No Fire Emblem lord is more important than the other. Each has their own game/s. Ike is just as important to the series as Chrom, Robin, Eirika, and Eliwood. Marth is the exception, he was the first to come and is therefore the mascot (Sorry, Get lost Anna) and represents the series better than any other charaacter.
Ike is the only Lord other than Marth to have a leading role in more than one game, and the only one besides Marth to get a confirmed descendant in Awakening.

No way in hell should he be considered "just as important" as any other Lord.
This is a pretty board assumption really. A new director doesn't guranatee much in regards to results. We could get a director who cares even less about the Fire Emblem series nor does guranatee any particular character would be more likely simply because someone else in charge. Could it result in many choices, but I see this statement in too many places in regards to characters themselves. Though I cannot deny that it could definitely change up the roster, but it may change it up in way that could be positive or negative depending on your view of that director's situation.
I'm not saying a director change is guaranteed to be a good thing, but if Sakurai continually makes bad decisions like treating Ike as disposable, then a director change would open the door to that being fixed.
It's better to leave it the way it is. Don't take any chances. The series could be tainted forever.
Sakurai will leave the series eventually. It's inevitable. He doesn't like working on sequels, so I doubt he'll stay on this franchise for more than one more game, especially considering how much stress it puts him under.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Ike is the only Lord other than Marth to have a leading role in more than one game, and the only one besides Marth to get a confirmed descendant in Awakening.

Yes he should. The sequal was...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well depending on your perspective just about any character can be considered disposable especially in a series like Fire Emblem that does not always have a consistent cast of characters. It's all a matter of opinion, viewpoint, and personal taste. In the case of a business situation like the Smash development there could be other factors as well.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yes he should. The sequal was...
???

did you mean to type something else?

I'm assuming you were going to say something about Micaiah being the lead in FE10, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you try and explain why Ike's role in RD somehow doesn't count.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

I'm not saying a director change is guaranteed to be a good thing, but if Sakurai continually makes bad decisions like treating Ike as disposable, then a director change would open the door to that being fixed.
I sincerely doubt that a new director would prioritize Ike any more than Sakurai. In fact, it's more likely that the opposite would be true.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I sincerely doubt that a new director would prioritize Ike any more than Sakurai. In fact, it's more likely that the opposite would be true.
Again, I never implied that would be certain. Just that I hope it would.

Anyway, if there's 3 FE characters this time around then there's no excuse for not including Ike. There really shouldn't be an excuse for not including him with two FE characters, but w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom