• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
First character I thought of, too.

I actually liked Ilyana. I always try my hardest to make her work in Radiant Dawn, but the struggle with thunder tomes in that game is real.
Agreed but she's pretty good with transfers or a forge. A lavender haired lord is a good idea though, Ilyana's game should be about fixing world hunger.

You know, if Chrom can be swapped to Lucina, with proper voice lines, taunts, victory ceremonies, crowd chants, and art assets, it wouldn't be so bad if we lost Ike. Lose the best Fire Emblem lord, gain an okay lord with Chrom and an awesome lord with Lucina.
Chrom and Lucina can certainly have the same moveset. She is noticeably shorter than Chrom, but that didn't stop them with the male Wii Fit Trainer. I would say the trainers have a greater height discrepancy than they do in Smash.
This is a good idea, I'm going to mention it on the Rating day for Lucina.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Pity, @ Hong Hong , I managed to speed bless/hax Ilyana in my second playthrough. She and Reyson managed to annihilate the Dragons in the final chapter with a Bolting, but she was really useful in general. Capped Str, Skl and Mag too, she was stronger than my Nephenee >.<

We really need Smash game spin-offs with like Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I wouldn't mind getting Ike as long as we get Robin first to ensure that we don't get three blue haired sword lords. Marth is the agile and light swordsman, Ike is the strong and heavy swordsman, and Robin is the more unique one wielding a sword and tome. It would be better than having another blue haired sword lord. Fire Emblem does deserve three reps in my opinion and will most likely get three in SSB4.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I wouldn't mind getting Ike as long as we get Robin first to ensure that we don't get three blue haired sword lords. Marth is the agile and light swordsman, Ike is the strong and heavy swordsman, and Robin is the more unique one wielding a sword and tome. It would be better than having another blue haired sword lord. Fire Emblem does deserve three reps in my opinion and will most likely get three in SSB4.
Why are you guys even put this point on a negative light ? if anything it's actually gives Fire Emblem an Identity, and it's true tradition of the series having a Blue haired sword man as a protag. , this point should be viewed in a positive light. In fact Marth/Chrom/Ike, It's easy to differentiate between them and their artstyle identify their gameplay, Marth is Agile and light , Ike is Strong and Heavy, Chrom looks like a mix between Ike and Marth in design wise and that would tell you that this guys is in the middle between Marth and Ike.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Why are you guys even put this point on a negative light ? if anything it's actually gives Fire Emblem an Identity, and it's true tradition of the series having a Blue haired sword man as a protag. , this point should be viewed in a positive light. In fact Marth/Chrom/Ike, It's easy to differentiate between them and their artstyle identify their gameplay, Marth is Agile and light , Ike is Strong and Heavy, Chrom looks like a mix between Ike and Marth in design wise and that would tell you that this guys is in the middle between Marth and Ike.
We don't need someone in between, we need a unique fire emblem character. Marth is great, Ike is good, Robin is the last piece of FE we are missing, magic. I know that blue haired sword lords are a reoccurring theme in the FE, but that's not what makes the series. I would prefer Chrom get cut in favor of Marth, Ike, and Robin because we don't really need someone in between. It's just that I would prefer FE to not go down the same path Starfox did and become something so dull and similar. I'm not saying I don't like Ike, it's just that I would prefer seeing an awakening rep that would bring a new fighting style to the game. Samurai even said he wanted characters like that.
The way I want it- Robin>Marth>Ike>Chrom
The way I see it-
Marth>Chrom>Robin>Ike

Another thing is that Tiki, Tharja, and Anna are definitely not coming to smash.

Hong

The Strongest
I would love to see Ike get a fresh design that just takes the best out of what is technically five different looks and makes the most out of them. It's really hard for Ike to lose his visual identity. Strong and strapping young lad with short, messy blue hair, and a green headband. With how well Zero Suit Samus came out (sans heels and enlarged breasts), I'm confident Ike could transition very well into HD.

Speaking of which, what is your favourite incarnation of Ike? Mine is definitely Lord Ike from Path of Radiance. His surcoat betrays his lack of noble blood, but somehow he still fights and looks like a beast.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Vanguard Ike is over-the-top to an extent but I can't help but love him. That armor would also cement him better as a heavyweight and justify his slower moves somewhat. Quick-Draw still needs an overhaul - it need not be PM-esque, but in Brawl, missing with QD >>> than hitting with it, because hitting meant you were stuck in that ridiculous attack's end lag for almost a whole second, perhaps more, while hitstun didn't exist in Brawl, pretty much inviting a punish. I could still use it as a quick way to close gaps and move around the stage when I didn't hit with it, but cleaning up the end-lag of most of Ike's moves, retaining the slower start-up and power and making QD a good mobility option all fits well into a 'bursts of speed + huge power' playstyle that would suit Ike well while retaining mediating weaknesses.

Lord Ike would definitely be my second pick, and Hero Ike my third. Not to say I'd be upset if Ike failed to class up for Smash 4, as long as he was fed some Speedwings at the very least.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, what's wrong with Anna? They haven't forgotten about the character for over two decades. They're not going to forget her now.

@ Thane of Blue Flames Thane of Blue Flames Good pick. Strong, sexy, and honestly I felt Fire Emblem's art was at its peak with RD. It took the style established with PoR, and then increased the quality and overall it seems more mature.

I sincerely hope we never again see characters with almost nothing but kill moves ever again. It has no place in anything remotely similar to a fighting game. The very nature of attacks that are super slow is that they become less and less effective as players not only become more twitchy, but become more aware of the character matchups. I think having a few slow moves like Dedede's f-smash is 100% okay, as it can come out of left-field and also serve well as the most extreme form of punishment. Just the same, I am okay with Ike having some slow moves, but it can't be the majority of his kit. It's not balanced, nor is it really like Ike at all. :/ Needs more than jabs and grabs to control the pace of the fight.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yeahhhh. I'm not sure what they were thinking. A lot of Brawlers have a design flair to them, which makes you think "Almost - they were almost onto an awesome playstyle and solidified potential with this character, but then dropped the ball."

I blame SSE.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even see what's wrong with Marth, Ike and Chrom. In my opinion, it's not that much different from Fox, Falco and Wolf. Better yet, it's more unique. Or what about the potential Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong? Hell, how about Lucario, Greninja, Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Yeah, what's wrong with Anna? They haven't forgotten about the character for over two decades. They're not going to forget her now.

@ Thane of Blue Flames Thane of Blue Flames Good pick. Strong, sexy, and honestly I felt Fire Emblem's art was at its peak with RD. It took the style established with PoR, and then increased the quality and overall it seems more mature.

I sincerely hope we never again see characters with almost nothing but kill moves ever again. It has no place in anything remotely similar to a fighting game. The very nature of attacks that are super slow is that they become less and less effective as players not only become more twitchy, but become more aware of the character matchups. I think having a few slow moves like Dedede's f-smash is 100% okay, as it can come out of left-field and also serve well as the most extreme form of punishment. Just the same, I am okay with Ike having some slow moves, but it can't be the majority of his kit. It's not balanced, nor is it really like Ike at all. :/ Needs more than jabs and grabs to control the pace of the fight.
I see Anna as a character that will not come before Chrom and Robin. Although she is the series unofficial mascot, she is...

I just see Shrek as a more likely playable character!

...I don't see anything wrong with her fighting style, it's just that I see Samurai picking Chrom over relevancy or Robin due to his play style. I just think Sakura will skip over Anna for:
1)The newest blue haired sword lord
2)Another relevant character with a more unique play sterile style.
3)A veteran with another unique play styrle
I know I'm not very convincing right now but I can't think of any better reason to exclude her but popularity.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't even see what's wrong with Marth, Ike and Chrom. In my opinion, it's not that much different from Fox, Falco and Wolf. Better yet, it's more unique. Or what about the potential Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong? Hell, how about Lucario, Greninja, Mewtwo?

That is honestly a really good point; I suppose (NEWS FLASH) people are just hypocritical.

D

Deleted member

It is a good point....until the Pokemon get brought up (and arguably before that with the Kongs as well).

Should've left it at the Space Beasts.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I can't really say much about the Star Fox trio, as I don't really know much about the series, but I don't think the three Fire Emblem lords can be accurately compared to the Donkey Kong and Pokemon trios you mentioned. I would argue that the latter examples you provide all have their own distinct abilities that could make them into unique Smash characters. Dixie Kong, for example, could utilize her hair for whacking foes around or even for flying, despite being similar in appearance to Diddy Kong. Lucario, Greninja, and Mewtwo may share a similar body structure, but each one has their own special abilities that correspond to whatever type they are or what moves they can learn (and this has been the case so far; Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja share little in common apart from some superficially similar specials). With Chrom, the abilities he displays in his game are ones that are already used by either Marth or Ike. Despite Chrom having a good amount of source material to work with, most of it would be borrowing from one of the two lords we already have in Smash. So I think that's part of the reason people have an issue with Chrom more so than other "similar" characters. That might just be me, though.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I can't really say much about the Star Fox trio, as I don't really know much about the series, but I don't think the three Fire Emblem lords can be accurately compared to the Donkey Kong and Pokemon trios you mentioned. I would argue that the latter examples you provide all have their own distinct abilities that could make them into unique Smash characters. Dixie Kong, for example, could utilize her hair for whacking foes around or even for flying, despite being similar in appearance to Diddy Kong. Lucario, Greninja, and Mewtwo may share a similar body structure, but each one has their own special abilities that correspond to whatever type they are or what moves they can learn (and this has been the case so far; Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja share little in common apart from some superficially similar specials). With Chrom, the abilities he displays in his game are ones that are already used by either Marth or Ike. Despite Chrom having a good amount of source material to work with, most of it would be borrowing from one of the two lords we already have in Smash. So I think that's part of the reason people have an issue with Chrom more so than other "similar" characters. That might just be me, though.
Thank you. I have been saved by a god, a truly amazing experience. Only a being of divine intellect could have explained this well, yet I am a mortal man, who cannot write to the full extent of thy lord. You are a true master of literature, may I be eternally punished for my misdeeds in forum arguments. Forgive me god.

Who here thinks fire emblem will be getting three character slots, Who do you think they'll be, and who would you want. (It has to involve Ike since this is the Ike thread)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thank you. I have been saved by a god, a truly amazing experience. Only a being of divine intellect could have explained this well, yet I am a mortal man, who cannot write to the full extent of thy lord. You are a true master of literature, may I be eternally punished for my misdeeds in forum arguments. Forgive me god.
Uh... Well, ok then.

Who here thinks fire emblem will be getting three character slots, Who do you think they'll be, and who would you want. (It has to involve Ike since this is the Ike thread)
I think it's quite likely we'll see three Fire Emblem characters. I guess that depends on whether or not Ike returns, since I think an Awakening representative is probably more likely than not. I do think Ike has a good chance of returning, though.

So, with Marth and Ike already there, I'd say the most likely third would be Chrom, for obvious reasons. However, there's still a good chance Robin could make it in over Chrom, I think. Ultimately the most likely scenario is Marth, Ike, and Chrom, but I think that an alternative is also very plausible.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I think it's quite likely we'll see three Fire Emblem characters. I guess that depends on whether or not Ike returns, since I think an Awakening representative is probably more likely than not. I do think Ike has a good chance of returning, though.

So, with Marth and Ike already there, I'd say the most likely third would be Chrom, for obvious reasons. However, there's still a good chance Robin could make it in over Chrom, I think. Ultimately the most likely scenario is Marth, Ike, and Chrom, but I think that an alternative is also very plausible.
The thing about having only Marth, Chrom, and Ike is that Samurai said that this time he wants to add characters that will bring new fighting styles to the game. All blue haired sword lords would go against what he said and would badly represent the franchise. This time around, I think Sakura has learned from brawl and will try to make a better game with characters that stand out more(Rosalina and Little Mac), although I do hope seeing Marth, Ike, and Robin in the same game together.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The thing about having only Marth, Chrom, and Ike is that Samurai said that this time he wants to add characters that will bring new fighting styles to the game. All blue haired sword lords would go against what he said and would badly represent the franchise. This time around, I think Sakura has learned from brawl and will try to make a better game with characters that stand out more(Rosalina and Little Mac), although I do hope seeing Marth, Ike, and Robin in the same game together.
Is having blue hair such a problem? Being a blonde swordsman is acceptable, though. Link, Toon Link, Shulk, Isaac. Say no to racism.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is having blue hair such a problem? Being a blonde swordsman is acceptable, though. Link, Toon Link, Shulk, Isaac. Say no to racism.
I don't think having blue hair is such a big issue for Chrom. On its own, at least. Being a blue haired swordsman who has the exact same abilities as two other blue haired swordsmen that we already have is what's problematic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
"Blue-haired swordsman" may be a problem for Chrom, but on Awakening's merits alone is what's going to make Chrom playable as one of the "greatest Nintendo characters" in the roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
"Blue-haired swordsman" may be a problem for Chrom, but on Awakening's merits alone is what's going to make Chrom playable as one of the "greatest Nintendo characters" in the roster.
Couldn't that same logic apply to any Awakening character?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, but Chrom overall best represents Awakening as he is one of the main characters (and more recognizable).
True, but he's not the only main character. He may be the most recognizable, but that doesn't automatically get him on the roster.

Besides, anyone who's played through Awakening will know of the other possible Awakening candidates, and those fans are the ones I think Sakurai will try to appeal to.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Which is why I said "one" of the main characters. :p
There are other possible FE candidates. But they don't feel like strong candidates to best represent Awakening (except for Lucina for at least a close second).
He'll listen to the fans, but I think he'll naturally think Chrom is a better fit as playable.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Many people think Chrom will be generic, but based on patterns in Melee and Brawl, he's likely going to make it. If he does, I'm definitely going to main him.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Many people think Chrom will be generic, but based on patterns in Melee and Brawl, he's likely going to make it. If he does, I'm definitely going to main him.
It probably won't be based on patterns though this time. Then again we had Roy and he didn't bring any merits besides being the new lord IS wanted to advertise.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Which is why I said "one" of the main characters. :p
There are other possible FE candidates. But they don't feel like strong candidates to best represent Awakening (except for Lucina for at least a close second).
He'll listen to the fans, but I think he'll naturally think Chrom is a better fit as playable.
Hey, what's wrong with Robin for representing Awakening? He's/She's at least on par with Chrom in terms of importance to the game, and actually has easy-to-make-a-move-set-out-of potential. I know you don't want him in Smash, but you make it sound like he's/she's implausible as a character choice.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey, what's wrong with Robin for representing Awakening? He's/She's at least on par with Chrom in terms of importance to the game, and actually has easy-to-make-a-move-set-out-of potential. I know you don't want him in Smash, but you make it sound like he's/she's implausible as a character choice.
Honestly, I would LOVE to have both of them. A Fire Emblem mage has been needed, and Robin is the logical choice. Also, as you said, magic allows for a lot of moveset potential.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Nothing is wrong with Robin, I only said she was not a very strong candidate that could easily be picked by IS or Sakurai nor would he best represent Awakening despite being one of the main characters in the game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nothing is wrong with Robin, I only said she was not a very strong candidate that could easily be picked by IS or Sakurai nor would he best represent Awakening despite being one of the main characters in the game.
So... Why can Robin not be easily picked by IS or Sakurai, and how does he/she not best represent Awakening despite being one of the main characters who is critically important to the plot of the game and can represent important features in the game, such as re-classing and marriage, that a character like Chrom does not represent as well?

Jackson

Smash Lord
So... Why can Robin not be easily picked by IS or Sakurai, and how does he/she not best represent Awakening despite being one of the main characters who is critically important to the plot of the game and can represent important features in the game, such as re-classing and marriage, that a character like Chrom does not represent as well?
Again, I would like to see Robin, but Chrom is the face of Fire Emblem Awakening. Part of this is due to the fact that Robin has no specific appearance.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
She would best represent sure, but Chrom just has the upper edge (along with Lucina) with advertisement, I see it more likely that IS and Sakurai will pick Chrom for that very reason. It kinda relates to Rosalina with her being pushed by Nintendo for the Mario series. With that additional aspect, Chrom would best represent Awakening overall.
Also I see plots, re-classing, and marriage as unimportant to Sakurai's newcomer selection process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom