• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
I'll think about it, Also if lyn makes it you should still lose out. any awakening makes me lose out. But again I probably won't take it, since I can't control the odds like say in a money match. Just wanted to know if you were serious :p
I was using those numbers to demonstrate my feelings, but for what's it's worth I have put more money to sillier things.
I'm not jealous.....nope, not jealous at all.....
:evil:
Heyyy. No intents to brag! I meant that if someone had a hard time finding a copy, I could arrange to get it for them for a more reasonable price. :b

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Heyyy. No intents to brag! I meant that if someone had a hard time finding a copy, I could arrange to get it for them for a more reasonable price. :b
Oh. Well....

In that case I might take you up on your offer....though there's a Gamestop in *insert my hometown here ;)* that has a copy.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's worth to mention that Ike IS one of the mains with the greatest brute force in FE history. Chrom is no weakling, but he doesn't personify strength as much as Ike so he'd be a poor replacement in that regard. Though I suppose that if he is to replace Ike, I'd rather have them reinvent the character rather than have a middle ground between Marth and an absent Ike.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, it's worth to mention that Ike IS one of the mains with the greatest brute force in FE history. Chrom is no weakling, but he doesn't personify strength as much as Ike so he'd be a poor replacement in that regard. Though I suppose that if he is to replace Ike, I'd rather have them reinvent the character rather than have a middle ground between Marth and an absent Ike.
Yes and no.

Ike changed a lot in three years. He certainly had elements of Gawain's style, that became more visible after he took command of the Begnion army, though he still had quite a bit of grace.
Three years later, he changed. I would like to pretend it was just because of the brutal combo-esque attacks seen in Radiant Dawn, but Ike was a total BEAST in the cutscenes as well.

I can't even call Chrom elegant. Just seems rather tame in comparison.

That said, I could comfortably say Alm and Chrom could more than easily fulfill the same character niche without really turning heads. Especially dat DLC DREAD FIGHTER Alm.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm not saying he wasn't elegant or skilled. Actually he had an insane combination of brute strength and finesse which made him such a beast in combat. But you can't really have a character like this in a game like Smash where you don't want broken characters, so since Marth already filled the finesse role, Ike was more than capable of offering variety by putting the emphasis on his strength.

Kind of like how the Star Fox games present Wolf as possibly the fastest pilot in the galaxy, but in Smash he must fill the role of the slower, but more powerful character. Because speed in a game like Star Fox is kind of the fighting game equivalent to power.

My point is that I just can't see a way for them to have Chrom fit a unique character archetype without reinventing the character.

Hong

The Strongest
My point is that I just can't see a way for them to have Chrom fit a unique character archetype without reinventing the character.
This is the crux that has surrounded Chrom since his appearance, and will likely hang as a pall of controversy until Smash 4 releases.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Elincia also was not playable until very late in the game.
She is made playable in part 2 of a 4 part game.

...Yes, and the crux of the argument is the meaning of the term 'Lord' as different Fire Emblem fans use it. i.e. Semantics.
What I am saying is that you can't argue semantics over a term never officially used for the characters. It's fine if you call them Lords, but that's just what you say. So arguing semantics about something your opinion is meaningless to the truth of the matter.

PoR is going for <$50 used on Amazon. RD is $75, though Gamestop has it for less.
A little much. Weird RD would be more considering it's recent and should be easier to find. But emulating PoR is a very viable option. Emulating a wii game is a bit more difficult.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that if a typical user on a forum or image board can spot the problem plaguing Chrom, it's safe to assume the developers would bare similar questions.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
A little much. Weird RD would be more considering it's recent and should be easier to find. But emulating PoR is a very viable option. Emulating a wii game is a bit more difficult.
i'm a bit of a pirate, i can confirm that it isn't ;)

Don't judge me D: I buy 3ds and wii u games, i don't thief everything.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Has this been posted here?

"Anything can change! Even the one I love!!"

10/10 would enable Smash balls in tournaments.

If no one is close to him though, he'll marry random maiden instead :troll:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Reinventing characters is Sakurai's specialty. There's Captain Falcon, Rosalina & Luma, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. If Sakurai and Intelligent Systems want Chrom in the game, Sakurai will do whatever is necessary to make him not a redundant, boring addition. Just look at all the characters he has revealed so far. I have faith in the guy.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Reinventing characters is Sakurai's specialty. There's Captain Falcon, Rosalina & Luma, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. If Sakurai and Intelligent Systems want Chrom in the game, Sakurai will do whatever is necessary to make him not a redundant, boring addition. Just look at all the characters he has revealed so far. I have faith in the guy.
Do you mean combat or personality?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Too bad those characters already had characteristics that aren't extremely redundant.

Why is everyone oblivious to the rules of archetypes anyway?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You are one of the last regulars on this board of any keenness or authority on the matter.
Because the others got bored and moved away from this hell hole, while I still remained.

I am generally curious about how game design works, so naturally I do study the ins and outs of what works and what doesn't.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
That's not what I meant at all and those examples are very poor. I'm not even sure if there is even a single move from G&W's moveset that isn't taken directly from the G&W games. As for the others, Falcon is extremely fast in reference to the fast that he is from a racing game and the way you play him reflects on this. Their moves may be invented, but they are true to the original characters and their established personalities within the game. The only exception would be when there is a complete lack of characterization, which gives Sakurai the liberty to fill the blanks.

Chrom, on the other hand, IS established as a character. He's one of two protagonists in a FE game, which is a series that always puts the emphasis on the narrative. Yet the way he is defined as a character and as fighter makes it very hard for him to stand out as a "Nintendo star". So all I am saying is that if he is indeed playable in Sm4sh, he will either be extremely bland or completely reinvented in such a way that he won't be anything like Awakening Chrom. Unless he marries his opponents as part of his FS.

Hong

The Strongest
If I may be blunt: You people are terrible at envisioning characters.

You can still design like three Chroms with completely different design intentions, and not overlap with Ike, while still being Chrom. You either just have poor imagination, don't look at other games often enough, or just don't like Chrom and don't put in any energy.

My only issue is largely aesthetic, in that I want to see more of Fire Emblem. :/

Hong

The Strongest
If it makes you feel better, your reasons for not liking the character are perfectly legitimate.

In the grand scheme of the series, he is not a bad lord at all. Just that he, like most of the Awakening cast, is a HUGE step back from the Tellius games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Even if he was a more developed character, he'd still be a very redundant character.

Can't say I will go towards Chrom when, again, there are still options available and Marth and Ike exist.

Hong

The Strongest
I am not too worried about that.

Character's like R.O.B. are "unique", but complete **** anyways. I am okay with three swordsmen with similar characteristics if they actually play in unique, fun and interesting ways with different play style options.

Of course I rather not have more than two of them, anyway, since the series can do so much more.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
If I may be blunt: You people are terrible at envisioning characters.

You can still design like three Chroms with completely different design intentions, and not overlap with Ike, while still being Chrom. You either just have poor imagination, don't look at other games often enough, or just don't like Chrom and don't put in any energy.

My only issue is largely aesthetic, in that I want to see more of Fire Emblem. :/
I completely agree with this. Anybody who says "This character would play generically" or "This character would be a clone of this other character" is full of it.

The only element that decides whether or not a character is "generic" or "would be a clone" are the people that make the goddamn game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom