• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
If Roy was to be made unique, shouldn't he be a lighter character than Marth? Not necessarily faster, but still a bit of a skit. Marth is a tall man and just a bit bulkier than Roy, where as Roy is a wee lad. I figure a fresh take on Roy would have him as a character who uses agile moves and fire to control space.

My top five order of preference for SSB4 would be:

1. Marth
2. Lucina*
3. Robin
4. Chrom*
5. Anna

*I would want them paired if possible.

As for what I actually anticipate, of course there will be Marth first and foremost. I suppose theoretically speaking replacing Marth with Marth is not impossible, but that would probably be an upset that transcends the addition of tripping and removal of Mewtwo combined. They will make bold moves and characters will be cut, but I think they should know Marth is untouchable.

I assume they would try to see if it is feasible to make Chrom and Lucina (or Robin) as a pairing character since that is what would jump out the most from playing Awakening if you were looking for a new Smash Bros character. This would be entirely dictated by the capacity for technical framework given their overall work-frame. If that should fail, will probably just ship Chrom as he is and try to make him as best as they can. Depending on the roster scope as a whole, we may get a third entry and I don't have anything conclusive enough to confidentially assume who would be third. Lots of good choices come to mind. Of course none of this takes into account any wild swings in development; if they ask IS and they really want Lucina or something, I am sure Sakurai-san and his team could make it work.

Either way, simply having Fire Emblem in Smash Bros is enough to keep me happy. I would prefer if who ever joins Marth is a newer character, though I won't be upset if they bring out Roy or Ike again for whatever merit they deem worthy.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Then the game would be ruined because a character with a unique moveset would be replaced by a clone for no raisin.
If they bring Roy back I'm sure they would give him his own moveset, they wouldn't add him back and then change nothing about him.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Anyways, I would put my top 5 FE reps for SSB4
1.Ike
2.Marth
3.Lyn
4.Roy
5.Lucina
So personally I hope the FE reps for Smash would be:
Marth
Ike
Lyn

Hong

The Strongest
We have talked about them adding Fire Emblem items to Smash Bros in the past. I have another topic.

How do you think the populace would respond if the Beam Sword was replaced by a divine weapon of the same class? Same functionality, but exchanges a generic item created for use in the Smash Bros universe, for something that actually pays homage to Nintendo. Similarly, the Home-run Bat could become the Gutsy or T-Rex Bat. Of course you always risk drawing ire from incringing on tradition. The beam sword became more unique as the series evolved when they changed it to alter size as it is used, though the divine weapons are capable of great things as well.

If not, even just having an Armorslayer or something could be cool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We have talked about them adding Fire Emblem items to Smash Bros in the past. I have another topic.

How do you think the populace would respond if the Beam Sword was replaced by a divine weapon of the same class? Same functionality, but exchanges a generic item created for use in the Smash Bros universe, for something that actually pays homage to Nintendo. Similarly, the Home-run Bat could become the Gutsy or T-Rex Bat. Of course you always risk drawing ire from incringing on tradition. The beam sword became more unique as the series evolved when they changed it to alter size as it is used, though the divine weapons are capable of great things as well.

But how else can I have my light saber battle to the death with Villager as Darth Vader? D:

In all seriousness, though, I doubt too much uproar would go on if the item was dropped. However, I don't think it's exactly necessary, per say. For example, they could always take a different Fire Emblem item. For example, the Levin Sword. When using tilts, it does melee damage with small electrical effects. But if you input a Smash attack, a bolt of lightning similar to Pikachu's Thunder comes down. The distance depends on how long you charged the smash attack.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

I think the beam swords classic and would not want to see it replaced. Give something else from the weapons triangle. I would go with Armads just because it's probably my favorite weapon from the FE series. If a player uses it, they can get a one hit KO if they smash like the bat. But when it does, the axe gets stuck to the ground and the player is forced to drop it for a second. So if another player knocks them away, they can steal the Armads without much fanfare.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The only logical way to please absolutely everyone: Make a floating sword a playable character. Marth's/Ike's basic moveset.

Then give it alts for absolutely EVERYONE. Bam, the composite-iest character that no one could ***** about.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
The only logical way to please absolutely everyone: Make a floating sword a playable character. Marth's/Ike's basic moveset.

Then give it alts for absolutely EVERYONE. Bam, the composite-iest character that no one could ***** about.
I can.
Ephraim and Hector don't use swords.

Hong

The Strongest
I think the beam swords classic and would not want to see it replaced. Give something else from the weapons triangle. I would go with Armads just because it's probably my favorite weapon from the FE series. If a player uses it, they can get a one hit KO if they smash like the bat. But when it does, the axe gets stuck to the ground and the player is forced to drop it for a second. So if another player knocks them away, they can steal the Armads without much fanfare.
Well, I can't say I agree that anything in the series is considered too classic yet, though you do bring up a good point about the weapon triangle. We have enough swords, yeah? I think your concept for Armads is solid.

I would love the Hammer as an item, if not for the fact we have the Hammer and fan, where as the former would be confusing and redundant and the latter has shield-breaking properties as it is. Aside from that, I will always stand by my idea for bringing in a staff. Rescue/Warp as a position-swapping item could make for some awesome and wacky gameplay. Even if you don't like it, you can always chuck it. :b

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How would many of you envision the current cast of Smash as Fire Emblem characters?

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Ideal Fire Emblem Roster that is possible:
Marth
Robin
Ike

If we're throwing all logic out of the window, however, L'ARACHEL, DIVINE PRINCESS OF THE THEOCRACY OF RAUSTEN!!! Is probably my favorite Fire Emblem character... She could be a tag team with Rennac, whose specials are all just ******** about everything. ...I'm glad I'm not in charge of Smash Bros. I'd make terrible decisions.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ideal Fire Emblem Roster that is possible:
Marth
Robin
Ike
Ideal by who? I certainly hope just you. I don't want the devil Robin anywhere NEAR my Smash Bros., let alone alongside someone like Ike.

That said, my ideal Fire Emblem cast would be;
Ike
Lucina
Ephraim
Lyn

Of course, I've come to accept that this will never happen for obvious reasons.

Hong

The Strongest
How would many of you envision the current cast of Smash as Fire Emblem characters?
Gods! This will take a while.

For all intents and purposes, I won't count actual Fire Emblem characters.

Mario and Luigi would be co-operative lords. More like Ephraim and Eirika than Alm and Celica.
Kirby = Oddball Xane-esque character you get later.
Link = Jeigan (in roll, not stats)
Zelda = Damsel in distress, late game recruit
Ganondorf = Early game ally, mid-game enemy until death near final chapter.
Peach = Flees kingdom to warn Luigi/Mario of danger and joins the army.
Meta Knight = Tragic general. Not really a bad guy, but ultimately his loyalties forces him into being your enemy.
King Dedede = Recruited by Kirby towards final chapters.

:b Lost interest in doing the rest.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Ideal by who? I certainly hope just you. I don't want the devil Robin anywhere NEAR my Smash Bros., let alone alongside someone like Ike.

Yeah, I meant my ideal FE part of the roster. Also, Robin's not the devil! ...S/he's more like the Hellboy of FE mythology, actually.

Hong

The Strongest
Ha ha. Fair enough.

It is kind of funny. I hated the Tactician in FE7 more than anyone I know. It felt so out of place... and honestly kind of creepy how the cast would just stare at me and talk. Felt like they were butchered the experience to make it more appealing to western fans. In FE12, they improved it a bit by actually making MU into someone and giving her a story, but she still felt lukewarm and uninteresting. In FE13, she got an awesome personality, a cool look and abilities, and didn't feel tacked onto the story. Next time they will have to better balance things out (Chrom kind of lost relevance about half way in until the end), but other than that I was delighted by Robin's inclusion.

As far as Smash Bros goes, I would love a spellcaster/swordsman. Suppose Isaac is an unlikely possibility that could fulfill that role, though I would like to take this chance to represent a wider spectrum of Fire Emblem. ^~^'

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
It hurts me to see that there is almost no love for Chrom here (from what I've seen, or maybe I'm terribly mistaken), and his daughter gets more than him. Have all of them paired their Avatar with her? I wouldn't blame them for that but-

The thing with Robin is his/her gender. To avoid making it's gender 'canon' (if there is such a thing for Smash, but then again most of fans' response would be negative with either choice), the solution would be to keep Robin with his/her hood on, right? And I dunno, keep him/her as a silent character. Referencing to an option of the Japanese Version of Awakening -which is the 'no voice' option-. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Robin -Chrom's my main concern, but Robin would be fine-, but these are just a few nitpicks I have regarding him/her.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
It hurts me to see that there is almost no love for Chrom here (from what I've seen, or maybe I'm terribly mistaken), and his daughter gets more than him. Have all of them paired their Avatar with her? I wouldn't blame them for that but-

The thing with Robin is his/her gender. To avoid making it's gender 'canon' (if there is such a thing for Smash, but then again most of fans' response would be negative with either choice), the solution would be to keep Robin with his/her hood on, right? And I dunno, keep him/her as a silent character. Referencing to an option of the Japanese Version of Awakening -which is the 'no voice' option-. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Robin -Chrom's my main concern, but Robin would be fine-, but these are just a few nitpicks I have regarding him/her.
Nah, I'm a stern and faithful Chrom supporter. I just happen to support Lucina more, is all. Opossum supports Chrom too.
Aside from the other supporters in the Chrom thread, though, your right. Not much love. Its mostly "id totally main Anna!" Or "chrom is boring and bland" or "Roy should be the third FE character" or "robin would be totally unique!!11" or "Royroyroyroyroyrobinrobinrobinrobinrobinannaannaannaannna"

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Ha ha. Fair enough.

It is kind of funny. I hated the Tactician in FE7 more than anyone I know. It felt so out of place... and honestly kind of creepy how the cast would just stare at me and talk. Felt like they were butchered the experience to make it more appealing to western fans. In FE12, they improved it a bit by actually making MU into someone and giving her a story, but she still felt lukewarm and uninteresting. In FE13, she got an awesome personality, a cool look and abilities, and didn't feel tacked onto the story. Next time they will have to better balance things out (Chrom kind of lost relevance about half way in until the end), but other than that I was delighted by Robin's inclusion.

As far as Smash Bros goes, I would love a spellcaster/swordsman. Suppose Isaac is an unlikely possibility that could fulfill that role, though I would like to take this chance to represent a wider spectrum of Fire Emblem. ^~^'

Robin's not quite my favorite character in Awakening. S/he feels a bit generic. Like no major personality quirks like the rest of the cast have. Not my least favorite, by a lot, but still not the most interesting personality. That being said, s/he is my favorite for a new Smash rep, because s/he represents FE13, which saved the franchise and IMO, deserves representation, and s/he'd also bring a very unique moveset among the possible FE reps.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
It's because Chrom will be a lousy addition, regardless on how much you want to cover your ears.
I'm only covering my ears in case Roy is confirmed and all his rabid fangirls start screaming.

Hong

The Strongest
It's because Chrom will be a lousy addition, regardless on how much you want to cover your ears.

I don't think it has to be that complicated.

The characters in Smash Bros are simply trophies, and don't always match with their source material. They will choose whatever characters make for the most fun gameplay and means the most to Nintendo. None of the choices they make for Smash Bros has any impact to their source material what-so-ever (but they do sometimes take inspiration from Smash Bros in vice-versa) and none of it will really matter. We can just see the Robin chosen as the Robin created FOR Smash Bros. It is far beyond the Robin you see in the cutscenes and official art. As someone who has been with the series since FE3, I won't be pulling my hairs if they include Robin in Smash Bros and completely disregard her inclusion in her home series going forward.

As for my opinion on Chrom, I love him. As much as I do Robin. I found him to be a very likeable character and the only central lords I have liked more are Marth and Ike. Of course if we are talking general FE characters, I think Elincia is my favourite.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

A hooded, silent, Robin would be boring, frankly. I think the solution would be to just pick a gender and roll with it. They can use the other hairstyles and hair colors for alt costumes. Just go with female. Smash needs more women, and SSB is basically the opposite of canon anyways, They're not finalizing anything.

And I do like Chrom, he just doesn't really bring much new to the Smash table. At least Lucina has a more stabby fighting style than Marth and Ike, though I'd rather not see her either.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hate to break it to you, but unlike you I do not have sales figures or recency shoved up my ass. I care about gameplay and diversity, and unfortunately no matter what you say Chrom is going to be shoved in as a last minute clone (at best) for the sake of padding and then quickly dumped when the next batch of games come around. I'm not falling for a thinly veiled ruse.

Hong

The Strongest
Hate to brake it to you, but unlike you I do not have sales figures or recency shoved up my ***. I care about gameplay and diversity, and unfortunately no matter what you say Chrom is going to be shoved in as a last minute clone (at best) for the sake of padding and then quickly dumped when the next batch of games come around. I'm not falling for a thinly veiled ruse.
You sound upset.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
A hooded, silent, Robin would be boring, frankly. I think the solution would be to just pick a gender and roll with it. They can use the other hairstyles and hair colors for alt costumes. Just go with female. Smash needs more women, and SSB is basically the opposite of canon anyways, They're not finalizing anything.

And I do like Chrom, he just doesn't really bring much new to the Smash table. At least Lucina has a more stabby fighting style than Marth and Ike, though I'd rather not see her either.
As long as I get to hear Miyuki Sawashiro in the Japanese Version Yeah, I guess you're right. A female character would be a nice addition.

In the long run if we speak of popularity, it goes between Chrom and Lucina. If we want something more unique for the FE cast, Robin is our choice, right?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Hate to brake it to you, but unlike you I do not have sales figures or recency shoved up my ***. I care about gameplay and diversity, and unfortunately no matter what you say Chrom is going to be shoved in as a last minute clone (at best) for the sake of padding and then quickly dumped when the next batch of games come around. I'm not falling for a thinly veiled ruse.
Hate to break it to you, but I think you meant 'break', not 'brake'.

If Chrom is ever revealed to be a completely unique, balanced, inspiring character, I will laugh at you so much.

I never said this.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
As long as I get to hear Miyuki Sawashiro in the Japanese Version Yeah, I guess you're right. A female character would be a nice addition.

In the long run if we speak of popularity, it goes between Chrom and Lucina. If we want something more unique for the FE cast, Robin is our choice, right?
Just what I was thinking, yeah! Which gives me quite a bit of hope for Robin's case. Uniqueness factor seems to have a large pull, according to both Sakurai's own words and our three current newcomers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because just because a character is recent, you can only like them because they're recent, right guys? Honestly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom