• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In FE4, most childeren are stronger than their parents to. Except Aira's son (her daughter however O_O bestunitintheFireEmblemuniverse) and Celice / Seliph for the most part. In the firs generation, Sigurd and Levin are your only truely awesome characters. You could probably solo the game with them. But Levin's son with Fury tops even him. While Celice takes a LOT longer to start kicking ass like his papa did, and when he does, he's still somewhat weaker than Sigurd.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Well the children are very interesting, especially Owain, Cynthia, Nah, Inigo, and Severa.
To clarify. I did pair up all the children and the avatars too, and all the children with each other. I just didn't do the dad and child because it's the same with a few minute changes for each pairing. I do find all the children interesting and I love how they contrast their parents. Severa is one of my favorite characters.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I hope that the next sequel surpasses everything about Awakening with maybe Chrom and Lucina returning.
spoilers

Based on Lucina's unpaired ending being so mysterious, I could see her as the next protagonist. Or they could even have the second timeline kids actually be grown up without referencing their future counterparts. I can even see Lucina as the protagonist of SMT X FE for the FE portion.

end spoilers

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how anyone can be convinced that Chrom should or would be an Ike semi-clone or clone on the basis of four attacks.
Because of following the conventions of archetypes and designing, a standard rule for many fighting games out there. It's really easy to see Chrom as nothing but a character that borrows heavily from Ike or Marth in that regard.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I don't think there is an Awakening character I would want to see in a sequel. Thought most of the characters were one-dimensional and boring.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's a possibility, but there is no indication within the game or in the basis in the designs that he should or would be an Ike clone or semi-clone. That's my point. The limited of attacks in awakening does not represent the full range moveset. Chrom having Ike's signature attack does not really matter because it appears to be a lord exclusive attack now in the first new release after Ike's game. Not to mention it's a possible. So really, the only thing Chrom and Ike share in terms of moves within the game is a taunt maybe and some basic sword strikes.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I still think the next game will be about Priam restoring the divine glory of the Ragnell while simultaneously solving a couple of worldly conflicts. :)

Hong

The Strongest
I could see a sequel where Lucina is the lead. If Chrom is there, maybe as an adviser or shows up late game as a surprise.

I know some people might be upset with it, but I wouldn't mind another Tellius game (but start from the Hatari desert and beyond, not the areas already visited). Priam just created more questions than answers.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Question: Which units from FE:A do you want to return in a sequel?

Personally I'm really fine, as long as Nowi, Olivia, and Anna return.
It makes sense to me to have all the children returning. Considering that a sequel would work better after a generation, I would have the sequel focus on the timeline 2 generation of kids, with Lucina (but a different Lucina) returning as a protagonist. This would also Yusuke Kozaki to make up any new design he wants, or just update. They would have similar but slightly different personalities. I would not use any of the parent generation aside from character without any parental ties such as Basilio, Anna, Tiki, and Flavia, as to not canonize anything. Unfortunately, a casualty of this would be no Morgan as I can't think of a way to include her/him without revealing the Avatar's pairing.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I would probably canonize Chrom and Sumia, as they practically already did in Awakening. Chrom would be serving as an older exault, until he was killed or put near death (it appears to be a recurring pattern in the series), and so Lucina (timeline 2) would take up the arms that her future self never wanted her to.

Hong

The Strongest
Spoilers: Chrom dies.

In Awakening.
I wonder if there will be a new Avatar/Robin in the next sequel. Cause I'm really fond of it.
I think overall they hit their mark on the character. It is nice if the player gets to design one unit themselves, though I don't want them to be the centre of the plot again.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wonder if there will be a new Avatar/Robin in the next sequel. Cause I'm really fond of it.
With it's success, I can't imagine they wouldn't do something like that. I imagine most games in the future will have this feature, because if they don't, there is a chance they might lose their newer fans.
I would rather have the Avatar character also not be the focus. To play more of a side role like the Hero of Shadow or the tactician in FE7 (with lines and interactions of course)
I don't want Chrom to die in the next game :(
http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Archetype
Cornelius:

A recurring story archetype in the Fire Emblem series is the father of the main character who dies tragically, to motivate the main character to avenge them.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would like to maybe see the next game focus on Priam, and explain what happened to Ragnell. Also bring back Halberdiers and Axe Knights, and maybe split up Lance/Sword Knights.

Did I mention that I really like Halberdiers.

Hong

The Strongest
I find it really odd how they would have two axe wielders with minute differences, but not Soldiers in addition to Knights. They had a much greater distinction, and I much rather prefer Soldiers for how I play the game. :[

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Something I've seen in some romhacks lately that I think would be interesting is to give tier 1 Armour Knights multiple weapons. It's a really good way to balance them against mounted units(especially if mounted knights get locked to one weapon like in PoR/RD). Thoughts?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Great, now I lost hope on the next sequel, except maybe the SMT x FE game where it starred Chrom and Lucina in the teaser.
Maybe Nowi can return at the very least.
well he doesn't have to die. he can just get really sick, like Eliwood in FE6. Nowi and Tiki should definitely return, with roughly the same appearance.

As much as I'd personally love a return to Tellius, commercially those games were a low point in the series and thus have limited appeal. I would either return to one more round of this new Ylisse or go to a new land.

But yes, a return of soldiers.

Hong

The Strongest
Something I've seen in some romhacks lately that I think would be interesting is to give tier 1 Armour Knights multiple weapons. It's a really good way to balance them against mounted units(especially if mounted knights get locked to one weapon like in PoR/RD). Thoughts?
Hmm, how would that work with reclassing?

I suppose everyone who can reclass to Knight or cavalier would have a specific weapon within the class itself.

Nado

Smash Cadet
It makes sense to me to have all the children returning. Considering that a sequel would work better after a generation, I would have the sequel focus on the timeline 2 generation of kids, with Lucina (but a different Lucina) returning as a protagonist. This would also Yusuke Kozaki to make up any new design he wants, or just update. They would have similar but slightly different personalities. I would not use any of the parent generation aside from character without any parental ties such as Basilio, Anna, Tiki, and Flavia, as to not canonize anything. Unfortunately, a casualty of this would be no Morgan as I can't think of a way to include her/him without revealing the Avatar's pairing.
In the future past dlc, morgan is a villain, so they might just make her a villain. But they could make her an illegitimate child of Chrom for a good mid story plot twist.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hmm, how would that work with reclassing?

I suppose everyone who can reclass to Knight or cavalier would have a specific weapon within the class itself.
IDK if I got the meaning across very well. Like, instead of having Knights that just use lances, you'd have a Knight class that can use Lances+Swords or something like that. Here's a good example, with a Knight-like class that can use swords and bows.

Hong

The Strongest
IDK if I got the meaning across very well. Like, instead of having Knights that just use lances, you'd have a Knight class that can use Lances+Swords or something like that. Here's a good example, with a Knight-like class that can use swords and bows.
Ohhh, okay. A possibility, though the reason most entries have them restricted to lances is rather complex.

Essentially, weapon classes reflect the standard ground combat classes that predominantly use them. Axes are strong and inaccurate; the root classes that use them are strong and inaccurate. Same with swords, being wielded by Lords, Myrmidons and Mercenaries who are all rather accurate and agile. In essence, the weapons that root classes are tied to are to further exemplify the weapon triangle and make it seem more significant than it is. So that, when a Myrmidon attacks a Knight, the already weak swords seem even weaker due to their low str against high def. When the Myrmidons are attacked by Fighters, they seem untouchable against a low Skl unit with an inaccurate weapon. As an example: If for some reason Fighters had swords and Myrmidons had axes, the latter would be clocked in the head more often than not.

Of course cavaliers can use both swords and lances because the class is supposed to reflect flexibility. People who like to use cavalry like very general units that can cover just about any situation and be anywhere needed. When you start to deal with promoted classes, them being able to equip their anti-weapon or something that offsets their weakness is to reflect the increased complexity as the game progresses.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
In the future past dlc, morgan is a villain, so they might just make her a villain.
At least then we'd have a villain who's not so obviously evil. From her support with Laurent- "With abs like these, victory is abs-olutely assured!" Just imagine someone trying to destroy/enslave the world saying a line like that. Perfect.

Hong

The Strongest
They should make Priam gay i've always wanted a gay lord.
Priam honestly made the whole Ike/Soren thing confusing. I mean, it is never really stated so they could have just been BFFs or something, I don't know.

Suppose it is possible Ike had a surrogate.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Anna - Is compared to Impa a lot due to both characters being old time veterans in both of their respective series with recent 'promotions' in their roles. However, unlike Impa, Anna lacks real story importance. She's just a unit comparable to every regular solider. And in terms of abilities, well she'd be pretty much like Robin. But perhaps with Staffs implemented as Specials? I'd be able to reconsider if Anna would get deeper, more meaningful roles as a playable character. She's pretty much a joke character from what I've seen in Awakening, with there still being merchant Anna's and all for example.
The combatative analogy you make against Anna by comparing her to Impa is wholly inadequate, everything that you perceive as lost in story is gained ad infinitum in every other way, and in that sense it becomes part and particle of the story, in fact, Anna has monstrous impact on every story, I mean, where else are you going to get that steel axe on sale, or how will you interact with the menus and services that Anna hosts without Anna? That's right, you can't! The fact that IS has chosen her as the characterization of various utility necessitates that the utility cannot exist without her, and in fact she becomes the least dispensable character in the whole Fire Emblem universe, what have you got to say to THAT, mister? No, the recent support for Anna is no joke, the recent support for Anna is a sign of its cause, a sign that Anna's level of importance has risen to the point to be weighty enough to contend with Lords, my friend, this weight is the SUM of her roles, most of the weight of which was garnered in the most recent entry, Awakening, where she is by virtue of the one Player Character Anna already on the level of Tharja or Owain or any other minor character. Then, add that to everything else she's ever done and BAM, you got your importance to the series right there. You make the signature deadly mistake of Anna naysayers, you only consider one Anna, when in fact Anna in Smash would be the representation of a whole, much like Pikachu, and this is one major area Impa cannot capitalize on, or would by Sakurai in a rather reticent manner, the moveset argument swings wildly from 'lol trickster anna uses a sword' to "Oh ****, we have a real chance here to show off mechanics from Fire Emblem that no one has yet, and other likely choices would not be able to or as likely show these things off as she would, plus a spear user, horray merchant Anna!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom