• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
The combatative analogy you make against Anna by comparing her to Impa is wholly inadequate, everything that you perceive as lost in story is gained ad infinitum in every other way, and in that sense it becomes part and particle of the story, in fact, Anna has monstrous impact on every story, I mean, where else are you going to get that steel axe on sale, or how will you interact with the menus and services that Anna hosts without Anna? That's right, you can't! The fact that IS has chosen her as the characterization of various utility necessitates that the utility cannot exist without her, and in fact she becomes the least dispensable character in the whole Fire Emblem universe, what have you got to say to THAT, mister? No, the recent support for Anna is no joke, the recent support for Anna is a sign of its cause, a sign that Anna's level of importance has risen to the point to be weighty enough to contend with Lords, my friend, this weight is the SUM of her roles, most of the weight of which was garnered in the most recent entry, Awakening, where she is by virtue of the one Player Character Anna already on the level of Tharja or Owain or any other minor character. Then, add that to everything else she's ever done and BAM, you got your importance to the series right there. You make the signature deadly mistake of Anna naysayers, you only consider one Anna, when in fact Anna in Smash would be the representation of a whole, much like Pikachu, and this is one major area Impa cannot capitalize on, or would by Sakurai in a rather reticent manner, the moveset argument swings wildly from 'lol trickster anna uses a sword' to "Oh ****, we have a real chance here to show off mechanics from Fire Emblem that no one has yet, and other likely choices would not be able to or as likely show these things off as she would, plus a spear user, horray merchant Anna!"
Monstrous impact on the story? She mainly appears in secret shops, and how does interacting with menus affect the story? Also, monstrous impact on FE:Gaiden for sure, she didn't even appear in that game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Monstrous impact on the story? She mainly appears in secret shops, and how does interacting with menus affect the story? Also, monstrous impact on FE:Gaiden for sure, she didn't even appear in that game.
How are you going to save if you can't access the menu? Who is going to tell you to take a break if your eyes are feeling sore? Who is going to sell your troops rad gear at low prices? Can you get THROUGH the game with that gear? :troll:
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that part was somewhat a joke, of course she doesn't have a monstrous impact on the story, but she does have decent support conversations in Shadow Dragon (I think that was the one. . .) and Awakening, plus she is a major part of many of the DLC chapters. My point is, if you read the whole thing and pick up on the sarcasm exactly where I want you to ( muh wordcrafting D: ), that she's important in other ways far enough to be considered.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
How are you going to save if you can't access the menu? Who is going to tell you to take a break if your eyes are feeling sore? Who is going to sell your troops rad gear at low prices? Can you get THROUGH the game with that gear? :troll:
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that part was somewhat a joke, of course she doesn't have a monstrous impact on the story, but she does have decent support conversations in Shadow Dragon (I think that was the one. . .) and Awakening, plus she is a major part of many of the DLC chapters. My point is, if you read the whole thing and pick up on the sarcasm exactly where I want you to ( muh wordcrafting D: ), that she's important in other ways far enough to be considered.
Sorry, I don't pick up on internet sarcasm that much. And I do agree on some of the other things you said though.

Hong

The Strongest
I welcome Anna, not because she is important in the worldly sense, but she is without a doubt a very iconic figure within the series. I would love to have a character that draws upon items and divine weapons from every game for some crazy moveset. Sure we have a few toolbox character already with the Villager and whatnot, but Fire Emblem has some nice flavour of its own that is unique to that franchise within Nintendo. In fact, I think I will attempt a moveset for her tonight or later this week to better illustrate my vision. ^~^

With characters like Chrom and Lucina, I admit they are entirely selfish desire. There is nothing they can do that other Fire Emblem characters, including my beloved Ike, cannot. I just really, honestly, truly like both characters a lot. I like Anna and Robin a fair amount as well, and would yield for either of those two characters on principle that I feel they could represent the series on a grander scale and show more of what we're made of. Tiki as well. Roy could come back with a new moveset, but eh...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, wait, if the notion of Chrom and Lucina not exactly proving enough is clear as daylight, why bother putting the effort into supporting those characters?

Hong

The Strongest
So, wait, if the notion of Chrom and Lucina not exactly proving enough is clear as daylight, why bother putting the effort into supporting those characters?
Because personally I am okay with either replacing Ike. While he is my favourite of the lords (after Marth), I welcome having new faces joining the roster. Unlike with other flagship series, Fire Emblem doesn't really have recurring household names like Mario or Link which are always there. Like with Pokemon (where as Marth is our Pikachu) we can make adjustments and give someone else spotlight. And it's not just Chrom and Lucina, either. Normally I wouldn't mind other characters I like, such as the mentioned Celica or Alm, though I don't like the idea of including more pre-7 characters since it's not fair for international fans, and aside from Ephraim, none of the GBA lords really standout as good characters. Maybe Lyn as a Swordmaster-esque fighter with sonic speeds?

And I know a lot of people don't want Ike to be replaced like that, and that's fine. I don't think they are stupid or anything. Their feelings and beliefs are totally legitimate. I won't be upset with whatever we get. I love all three characters and would be delighted to see any of the three in the next Smash Bros. All I can ask of Ike is that he comes with an updated look and some balance tweaks, and maybe try the ranged attack again?

Also, I should add that none of this considers the inclusion of Chrom and Lucina or Chrom and Robin as a paired fighter. I think there is untapped potential to be found there that is unique to Awakening, and it doesn't encroach on anyone's grounds. Ultimately that circumstance is up to Sakurai-san and his team to decide if that is worth the resources, because while it was simple enough to orchestrate in Awakening, it will be a technical nightmare on fancy stages. Especially on the 3DS. :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, but I'm NOT cool with either of them taking Ike's place.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

A few reasons. For one, they could easily be unique, so if the contrary is "clear as day," you might need a new lens prescription. Additionally, they support those characters because they like those characters. Your opinion doesn't exactly have to be the same as everyone else's.

Edum Bot

Smash Rookie
Ok, but I'm NOT cool with either of them taking Ike's place.

I'm not either because I want Chrom, Lucina, Marth AND Ike to be playable. I mean, up to 4 characters per franchise is what brawl did. So, why can't we have 4 Fire Emblem fighters?

Hong

The Strongest
I'm not either because I want Chrom, Lucina, Marth AND Ike to be playable. I mean, up to 4 characters per franchise is what brawl did. So, why can't we have 4 Fire Emblem fighters?
So many swords. ;~;

I know most lead characters are blue-haired swordsman, but that still is an ill representation of Fire Emblem. We have more non-sword-based characters than ever, and I can think of at least four other swordsmen from Nintendo that people want in, if you count Ganondorf. If we are going to have more than two swordsmen from Fire Emblem, the third must have an absolutely amazing gimmick to justify it, and a fourth is out of the question. Bring in Robin, Anna or Tiki. Heck I would even take Micaiah over a fourth swordsman. >.>

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So many swords. ;~;

I know most lead characters are blue-haired swordsman, but that still is an ill representation of Fire Emblem. We have more non-sword-based characters than ever, and I can think of at least four other swordsmen from Nintendo that people want in, if you count Ganondorf. If we are going to have more than two swordsmen from Fire Emblem, the third must have an absolutely amazing gimmick to justify it, and a fourth is out of the question. Bring in Robin, Anna or Tiki. Heck I would even take Micaiah over a fourth swordsman. >.>
Totally agree, I'd love to see some more variety from the FE roster. Sadly, most of the "big name"potential newcomers fit pretty well into existing archetypes....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I'd had to choose between Robin, Anna or Tiki, I'd most likely choose Tiki. Anna becomes a second choice of those. Tiki could be quite interessting with her transformation to her Divine Dragon form. I just... Don't see her make it. Neither do I see Anna or Robin make it in.

All I really want anyway is Marth and Ike. International fame, iconic, starred in two games, blue haired swordsmen but with the most conflicting styles possible, unique, relevant / recent.

I'd choose Roy or Lyn as 3rd characters. Or even both, seeing as Roy could make it in as a semi clone of Marth.

Marth & Roy would be added cause of Japanese demand / popularity, Ike & Lyn out of Western demand / popularity.

I bet nobody would actually really be upset with these characters in the end. So this is what I choose.

Even though I'd replace Marth, Roy and Lyn with Sigurd, Hector and Ephraim in a heart-beat.

Edum Bot

Smash Rookie
So many swords. ;~;

What's the problem with swords? Everyone could be a swordsman, if they don't play the same, in my opinion. And...heh. Yeah, all are blue birds. Marth's blue genes run strong in his blood. Haha. Same for Ike and his mother...and Priam. As for Robin...urgh...He wields a sword, y'know? Why do you complain about swordsman and then you suggest one. Hehe. I know what you meant. You want uniqueness. That's what we all want.

Hong

The Strongest
What's the problem with swords? Everyone could be a swordsman, if they don't play the same, in my opinion. And...heh. Yeah, all are blue birds. Marth's blue genes run strong in his blood. Haha. Same for Ike and his mother...and Priam. As for Robin...urgh...He wields a sword, y'know? Why do you complain about swordsman and then you suggest one. Hehe. I know what you meant. You want uniqueness. That's what we all want.
I know that the sword is defined by the user and not its steel, but there is a rapid stagnation in interest of that particular weapon the more it is used. And it can't be compared to unarmed combat either, since most unarmed combatants attack with things like fire or electricity.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The problem isn't the sword, but rather the character it's attached to. There is a reason why there are so many people that are resentful towards the idea of Chrom and Lucina, yet other choices of a similar caliber like Shulk and Takamaru usually cause a shrug at worse.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I personally don't have a problem with having a lot of swordsman, as long as they're unique from each other. However, I get that a lot of people are tired of seeing Fire Emblem repped by just swordsman, when there's a whole lot more diversity(Lance users, Axe users, archers, mages, etc) in FE than is represented in Smash.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I kinda put Shulk in the same boat as the other genericblondehairswordwieldingandsometimesusesmagicusingguy characters. I honestly get them all confused.

I figure people put Takamaru in the same boat as Lyn, and maybe/technically a Ninja Gaiden rep.

I don't so much mind sword wielders themselves, I just don't like the idea of them all having similar playstyles. To this day Marth is the only sword-based/only character I appreciate in this aspect. Link, Meta Knight and Pit all incorporate other moves enough to not feel like "just sword users."

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, it's just about the source material, not so much the weapon as a whole.

I have nothing against swords in of themselves. They are the prolific fantasy weapon, after all, and Marth's own Falchion represents the Fire Emblem icon.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't know if there are that many people actually resentful of Lucina and Chrom, as opposed to just being opposed to the characters' inclusion. If they haven't played their game, I am less inclined about their opinions. Not playing a game and then trying to rate a character is never a good idea. You can try to predict their likelihood but it would be very hard to judge the character. That's like trying to rate a character without seeing a movie. Playing Ocarina of Time is a whole different experience than watching videos on youtube about Ocarina of Time. It's the same with all great games.

Many shrug off sword users on the basis of too many swords, and just see that these two come from an existing series. Downgrading them on that basis is short sighted, because many think that we are likely to get sword users from other series. However, if we were to not get those sword users in question (which would be unfortunate for me since I'm a fan of both Isaac/Matthew and Shulk), I think more would be inclined with either of their inclusion on the basis that it wouldn't result in too many sword users.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only thing that playing Fire Emblem: Awakening did was convince me that Chorm and Lucina are rather uninteresting choices.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Lyn because bias. If on a non-biased standpoint, Takamaru, but I feel both of them could be different.

Hong

The Strongest
Ha ha. While we are all entitled to our own opinion, there are certainly different ways to voice it.

Before the series was brought to an international audience, I was branded as a witch for liking Thracia 776 way more than Genealogy of the Holy War. Similarly, I like NONE of the GBA leads.

If Path of Radiance came out after Brawl did, I would want Ike in SSB4 instead of Lucina or Chrom. Now that a new entry is in the picture, I am perfectly open to a middle-man in a very large series being swapped out so we can see someone else. If Awakening didn't come out, you would probably see me supporting Ephraim or Micaiah as I was back in the day, or even harping on some older characters just because I don't like the GBA cast. Hell I think I backed up Lyn, too, because I felt she had potential for a moveset unlike any other, and I know many new adopter would have been delighted to see her.

But since Awakening has come out, that adds three perfectly valid candidates. Candidates from a game that is a whole new era of Fire Emblem... possibly the most drastic turn the series has seen. The characters, their presentation, the artistic choices and quirks, are unlike anything we have experienced. I WANT to see this in the new Smash Bros, and if the developer is having a hard time imagining both Ike and Lucina/Chrom in the same game, I will gladly take either of them over him. I've already seen Ike. I am open to a variety of different characters to replace him.

Chrom and Lucina especially since they have tons of INTERNATIONAL fans that would gladly accept them, many of which will have fond memories down the road. I don't think any international fans will shut up about Lyn and Hector any time soon, so I can't see the latest generation changing, either. I can't help but feel IS would be ecstatic to have Chrom or Lucina in the product. o.o They, and the game they originate from, are literally made from everything they love about their work.

Of course, again, it is entirely possible to have Marth, Ike and Chrom/Lucina in the same game, though it is up to them to determine if the drawbacks outweigh the benefit. I couldn't tell them without seeing the product plan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just can't see Ike make it back if they add both Chrom and Lucina. Think Chrom would more or less be replacing Ike's playstyle, subtly. While Lucina becomes a semi-clone of Marth.

That's pretty much opposed to what the general public wants, which is Marth, Ike and Roy. Roy also posibly as a Marth semi-clone.

Am wondering what Sakurai will do.

Hong

The Strongest
That's pretty much opposed to what the general public wants,
Smash Boards is far from the general public. The general public, as far as FE goes, asks for Chrom and Lucina. I would say the majority outright predict Chrom. Five minutes in any fan portal would indicate that.

Of course, not all of the general public considers the consequences, so they don't necessary take into account what could happen with Ike. Vocal opinion can be very immediate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom