• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A You Found the Hint Glasses! - Q&A and FAQ

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
(i.e. people who can tech)
Best-case scenario (for you), 1 frame of techability.

Let's not forget Smash 4's universal 7 frame input lag, which makes teching even harder. I'm not saying the stage spike is guaranteed, far from it, but as a community let's stop pretending that only the most worthless of scrubs can't tech every single move 100% of the time.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I wish I could suggest dair, but somehow after three Smash games (Melee, Brawl, and Sm4sh) hitting down C for more than a single frame will still cause you to fastfall to your doom. Don't ask me how that hasn't been fixed yet.
What are you talking about... This is literally something that was 'fixed' in smash 4. Dair actually cancels fast falling. What, are you holding down on the joystick when you C-stick the Dair?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
What are you talking about... This is literally something that was 'fixed' in smash 4. Dair actually cancels fast falling. What, are you holding down on the joystick when you C-stick the Dair?
I hold down the C-stick for a (very) short amount of time to make sure that the correct input registers. Online has a such bad habit of dropping inputs, I can't count the number of times I've stood in place and jabbed when using the C-Stick to smash. Even offline it's not much better, because if you hold the C-stick for more than a few frames (one?) it registers as main stick down+A, and will make you fastfall.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Best-case scenario (for you), 1 frame of techability.

Let's not forget Smash 4's universal 7 frame input lag, which makes teching even harder. I'm not saying the stage spike is guaranteed, far from it, but as a community let's stop pretending that only the most worthless of scrubs can't tech every single move 100% of the time.
you're not getting the untechable with link in any likely scenario

actual high level play, count the amount of stagespikes for me

Or you know, have watched every ****ing video in the video archive here like me and realize there ain't no damn stagespike kills, have fun tryin'

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
you're not getting the untechable with link in any likely scenario

actual high level play, count the amount of stagespikes for me

Or you know, have watched every ****ing video in the video archive here like me and realize there ain't no damn stagespike kills, have fun tryin'
I've gotten it a few times in friendlies. As I said, it's far from guaranteed, but if nothing else it's free damage and it's not like Link has a lot of edgeguard options likely to get a kill. CP to a wall Omega if you're brave, but it's not likely to happen even if you go to one.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I hold down the C-stick for a (very) short amount of time to make sure that the correct input registers. Online has a such bad habit of dropping inputs, I can't count the number of times I've stood in place and jabbed when using the C-Stick to smash. Even offline it's not much better, because if you hold the C-stick for more than a few frames (one?) it registers as main stick down+A, and will make you fastfall.
At most it might be making you accelerate to your normal fall speed (?), but this is not fast falling. Using C-stick down to perform Dair, no matter how long you hold it, by itself, cannot make you fast fall. This has nothing to do with online or offline.
You might just be mashing C-stick down, i.e. doing another separate C-stick down input after the Dair, but that's different. You might also just be buffering the Dair after something else, in which case you will FF momentarily, but then as soon as the Dair starts it will cancel the FF. The point is, something else is at play here which is messing things up.
Either way, change to A-stick already.

_ArK

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get down the bomb sliding in smash 4 with link but cant quite master it, any tips?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
This really shouldn't be its own thread lol. Just find the the method that works best for you (personally i say AB) and then practice it a lot.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Does anyone have tips on how to tether trump into D-air ? I can never seem to D-air after trumping fast enough.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Is there any reason Link players sh before pulling a bomb? I've seen it alot in the matches I have watched and was wondering what the benefit is?

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Is there any reason Link players sh before pulling a bomb? I've seen it alot in the matches I have watched and was wondering what the benefit is?
Making your hurtbox mobile thus making it harder for your opponent to punish, while you are in a disadvantage position. Plus you can make ground/middleheight based proyectiles wiff.

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
Multiple questions: Are there any matches that involve the use of toss cancelling? Do you think toss cancelling was a broken mechanic, by broken I mean not in an undefeatable way but what exactly were the effects from cancelling out of hitstun? Could you just bomb someone immediately after they hit you? Would it be possible to cause toss cancelling to only work on aerial landing lag and not on hitstun? Lastly, was edge cancelled bomb pull ever a thing? I was looking through http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-notes-for-1-1-1.378472/ and didn't see anything about it being removed.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Link newbie here. Wanting to know if it's possible to boomerang with backwards momentum?? I can't seem to get it, it's either really hard, impossible or just takes some practice..?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Link newbie here. Wanting to know if it's possible to boomerang with backwards momentum?? I can't seem to get it, it's either really hard, impossible or just takes some practice..?
As in a B-reversal boomerang? If so, than yes.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
As in a B-reversal boomerang? If so, than yes.
Yes as in that. But if you notice, it doesnt give you any backwards momentum?? or am i just doing it wrong?

Also, anyone know if Link's frame data is current? I'm referring to the one by FSK posted by Zelkam Zelkam in the "[Index] A Link to the Threads - LOOK HERE BEFORE CREATING A NEW THREAD!" thread in the stickies section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Also, anyone know if Link's frame data is current? I'm referring to the one by FSK posted by Zelkam Zelkam in the "[Index] A Link to the Threads - LOOK HERE BEFORE CREATING A NEW THREAD!" thread in the stickies section.
That data is pretty old at this point and and I'd be willing to bet that some of it is out of date. I haven't been very active on the boards as of late and my threads could use a little tidying up. Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive didn't there used to be a frame data thread in the stickies for while? I did a search of the board and couldn't find it. Or is my memory just failing me?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes as in that. But if you notice, it doesnt give you any backwards momentum?? or am i just doing it wrong?

Jump backwards and do a B-reversal, or jump forwards and do a Wavebounce. (Look in AT thread for directions.) Both will give you backwards momentum while throwing the boomerang.
Otherwise, you know, there's always just jumping backwards and throwing the boomerang forwards or jumping forwards and throwing the boomerang backwards. Just make sure not to throw it during your jump-squat frames and make sure you don't accidentally do any B-reversing/wavebouncing shenanigans and it will work fine.

That data is pretty old at this point and and I'd be willing to bet that some of it is out of date. I haven't been very active on the boards as of late and my threads could use a little tidying up. Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive didn't there used to be a frame data thread in the stickies for while? I did a search of the board and couldn't find it. Or is my memory just failing me?
We used to have Aero's frame data linked in a stickied thread, yeah. Due to 'reasons' there came a point where this was no longer ok, so they were all deleted, including ours, regardless of what I personally wanted. We just have to link people to it manually now:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
I know i'm asking for too much but is there a thread with all the abbreviations like FAF/BKB/WBKB/KBG

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Thanks^ and for the "Hitbox Active" column, for example, if it says a move is 6-10 does that mean that move will hit on frame 6? And I take FAF basically means "Recovery frames"?? or is that wrong?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It means it will first be able to hit on frame 6, and is still able to hit as late as frame 10.

FAF is basically "total frames+1", it's the frame you can do another action on. For example, if you wanted to ftilt with Link (FAF 38) then shield, you'd shield on frame 38. It maybe sounds a bit confusing at first, but the reason it's used instead of total frames is because many animations last longer than the point where you're able to act (ex. Sheik can act quickly out of her fair, but if she just fairs once then does nothing the animation lasts a really long time, preventing her from grabbing ledges).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anywhere I can find a hitbox visualisation for Link's attacks equivalent to this thread from the Cloud forum: http://smashboards.com/threads/cloud-hitbox-visualization.432698/
I find it a very useful tool, and think it would be a good addition to the Link boards. If anyone has access to it it would be greatly appreciated :)
Ours hasn't been done yet and it probably won't be done for a while. See this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/hitbox-visualization-compilation.432936/

Azureflame

Smash Rookie
Ok so a friend and I were playing the Ike vs Link matchup myself as Ike and him as Link. I have a small amount of experience with Link as a character but he and I found something that begs a question. Why does Link lose his double jump when he hasn't used it? For clarification I would knock him off stage and he would go to recover without using his double jump usually at mid to low percents. As Ike I would counter Links Up-B with my Down-B Counter. This would knock Link back and force him to have to recover again but he would just lose access to his double jump even though he hadn't used it yet. After much frustration on his part we tested it in a controlled environment where Link would jump of the ground Up-B and fall and before he touches the ground I would send him vertically upwards with an attack. He would then mash jump and Link wouldn't be able to jump until he hit the ground. We found this is true for Toon Link as well. Every other character seemed to be able to double jump if they had saved it even after using their Up-B recovery. Why is this the case with Link/Toon Link? Can someone give us some kind of explanation?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok so a friend and I were playing the Ike vs Link matchup myself as Ike and him as Link. I have a small amount of experience with Link as a character but he and I found something that begs a question. Why does Link lose his double jump when he hasn't used it? For clarification I would knock him off stage and he would go to recover without using his double jump usually at mid to low percents. As Ike I would counter Links Up-B with my Down-B Counter. This would knock Link back and force him to have to recover again but he would just lose access to his double jump even though he hadn't used it yet. After much frustration on his part we tested it in a controlled environment where Link would jump of the ground Up-B and fall and before he touches the ground I would send him vertically upwards with an attack. He would then mash jump and Link wouldn't be able to jump until he hit the ground. We found this is true for Toon Link as well. Every other character seemed to be able to double jump if they had saved it even after using their Up-B recovery. Why is this the case with Link/Toon Link? Can someone give us some kind of explanation?
I copied your post into here.
The answer is there is no answer. It's a well-known problem, and I can only assume it was a mistake in the programming of Link and Toon because it makes no sense. In any case, now that you're aware of it, you know that you may as well use up your DJ while recovering if you intend to use your Up-B.

Hmmsphil

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hmmsphil2
Does anyone have a hyper-link that may direct me to Smash 4 Adult Link hit-boxes?

Thanks!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hm, I never Watched this thread, how come I get notification from this thread today?

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Does anyone have a hyper-link that may direct me to Smash 4 Adult Link hit-boxes?

Thanks!
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anywhere I can find a hitbox visualisation for Link's attacks equivalent to this thread from the Cloud forum: http://smashboards.com/threads/cloud-hitbox-visualization.432698/
I find it a very useful tool, and think it would be a good addition to the Link boards. If anyone has access to it it would be greatly appreciated :)

sorry for double post

here is a vid showing some link hitbox stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zheUdc5bIPI

✧Soulgen✧

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soulgen
I need help on how to train effectively with Link. How would I set up a training regimen for this? Should I focus on 1 Technique or Style one day and train another the next? I need some help because by the looks of it, my efforts to train aren't giving me effective results

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I need help on how to train effectively with Link. How would I set up a training regimen for this? Should I focus on 1 Technique or Style one day and train another the next? I need some help because by the looks of it, my efforts to train aren't giving me effective results
There's this resource for starters https://smashboards.com/threads/link-training-grounds-wii-u-edition.382047/
I believe Stryker95 Stryker95 might be able to hook you up with the stage. That should help with the technical side of things.

But then your technical ability might be sufficient already, and so it depends on what level you're at. I'd suggest you take a look at the AT thread, specifically, I have linked a few guides at the very top of it in the first spoiler. https://smashboards.com/threads/the-comprehensive-guide-to-links-ats.400585/
Read them.
The most effective way to train imo is to verse other people and focus on developing the mental side of your game, slowing things down where necessary (not just mashing buttons), really reflecting on what is happening and what you might be able to do to adapt and counter it. Eventually you'll be able to do this on the fly, but at first just take a moment in-between each game and each stock to think, and then, importantly, actually change what you are doing where necessary.

✧Soulgen✧

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soulgen
There's this resource for starters https://smashboards.com/threads/link-training-grounds-wii-u-edition.382047/
I believe Stryker95 Stryker95 might be able to hook you up with the stage. That should help with the technical side of things.

But then your technical ability might be sufficient already, and so it depends on what level you're at. I'd suggest you take a look at the AT thread, specifically, I have linked a few guides at the very top of it in the first spoiler. https://smashboards.com/threads/the-comprehensive-guide-to-links-ats.400585/
Read them.
The most effective way to train imo is to verse other people and focus on developing the mental side of your game, slowing things down where necessary (not just mashing buttons), really reflecting on what is happening and what you might be able to do to adapt and counter it. Eventually you'll be able to do this on the fly, but at first just take a moment in-between each game and each stock to think, and then, importantly, actually change what you are doing where necessary.
Thanks for this in-depth reply, I will surely try this

✧Soulgen✧

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soulgen
A question for experienced link mains out there, when is the best time for bomb pulling? People who rush at the start really pressure me to not pull out a bomb because of its lag. Also, is it possible to cancel a bomb-pull by yourself?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
First of all, questions belong in the Q&A thread (where you posted only a few days ago). Expect Foxy to move this when he gets on.

No, you can't cancel a bomb pull by yourself. Finding the best time to pull one is knowing the capabilities of your opponent on whether they can punish you or not. This is one of the biggest killers of mid level Links, bad bomb pulls (in my opinion). It takes experience to know if you can get away with a bomb pull, and even more to know if you should. (For example, after hitting your opponent should you press the advantage or pull a bomb? Experience and the MU will determine that.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
After you get launched a significant distance is a good time to pull a bomb and the sooner you do the sooner it will explode and help your recovery. When pulling bombs onstage do it from a SH/jump so you can keep moving in the process. Beware pulling bombs when being juggled because some characters can get to you very quickly. Know the opponent like Stryker said.

DEEBOE

Smash Rookie
Unable to perform this tech consistently. Any help would be great. I use a gc controller and my button layout is: z = jump, c-stick = attack, L = grab, and everything else is default. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom