• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A You Found the Hint Glasses! - Q&A and FAQ

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Unable to perform this tech consistently. Any help would be great. I use a gc controller and my button layout is: z = jump, c-stick = attack, L = grab, and everything else is default. Thanks in advance.
Try not to make threads for stuff like this.
Look up the 'Bombslide' in the bombs section of the AT thread (i.e. the comprehensive guide to Link's AT's). You'll find it stickied toward the top of the main page.
Afterwards, read the stickies, as you will find much more information of this sort.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was just wondering what are good secondaries for link?
Link. You will do better long term through learning to solve problems like rough MUs instead of running to an easier MU. But if you want short term results...

Look at MU spreads and see which characters have MU spreads that covers the rough MUs for Link (Sheik, Fox, ROB, etc.).

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So I have picked up Link as a secundary and I got him down for the most part but my main issue is that I don't know how to effectively use his projectile game as I am more inclined to using him in an aggressive way, I know he relies on his projectiles for both stage control and kill set-ups but I don't know how to use it, so I would appreciate it if you could give me some tips.

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122
So iam new to this borad I main link and Roy (prefer link)but I just can't seem to remember links so I wright everything down in a note book(makes it easier to read and remember)I've watched numberous videos but just can't remember anything

So I was wondering if some one could just give me pratacical basic bnb combos at low and mid % also couple kill set ups maybe some harder stuff I can practice too

One more thing is down throw to fair or uair true combo at mid + % because it seems most people I play against can't just get out of it. Thanks any advice would be great

Rizen

Smash Legend
So iam new to this borad I main link and Roy (prefer link)but I just can't seem to remember links so I wright everything down in a note book(makes it easier to read and remember)I've watched numberous videos but just can't remember anything

So I was wondering if some one could just give me pratacical basic bnb combos at low and mid % also couple kill set ups maybe some harder stuff I can practice too

One more thing is down throw to fair or uair true combo at mid + % because it seems most people I play against can't just get out of it. Thanks any advice would be great
Link has a lot of complicated tactics. The important thing to keep in mind is watch your spacing; it the opponent can hit you, don't use a projectile then. Try to not let them get closer than the tip of Link's sword and use the right attacks for the right spacing. From close to long range it goes sword attacks, grab/Zair/bombs, arrows/boomerang/bomb pull. Use the right attack at the right time before you move on to advanced techniques.
Link has 3 projectiles in addition to close range attacks so keep moving and pressuring the opponent. A lot of beginner players wait idly. You should try to play fast with a lot of pressure for the right spacing.

Some bread and butter combos are Dthrow>Fair is guaranteed on several characters. What followup works depends on the %s but a good rule of thumb is if the opponent is at: 10-30% Utilt or Usmash, 30-50% jump and Nair, 50-90% jump and Fair, and 90%+ jump and Uair. Here's a specific chart of what works on what characters:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VC-qvEWaQhgqR7MfMMGaTNyMiTQzXWDJGXpR__Uuzks/edit#gid=0

Bomb forward throw>Fair is usually really good. You can get even more combos from bombs by throwing on down from above or Z dropping them. Later use bombsliding when you're comfortable with the basics.

Other possible combos or "chains" (not true combos but work depending on what the opponent does) are:
Jab, jab, and cancel the 3rd jab into a followup like upB or possible roll/jump away if you're hitting a shield or not safe. Dtilt>hop and Fair can work sometimes. Zair>land and buffer jab. At lower %s Nair/Fair>land and jab or quick ground followup. Nair>uncharged arrow can "lock" opponents who bounce on the ground, what this means is they will only be able to stand without rolling or attack so you get a free Fsmash punish. The first kick of Bair has no knockback so you can land before the 2nd kick and combo into upB or turn and jab.

If you have trouble remember Utilt has wide range, low startup and lag, and can KO after 130-150%. Really nice and simple option.

Last edited:

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122
Link has a lot of complicated tactics. The important thing to keep in mind is watch your spacing; it the opponent can hit you, don't use a projectile then. Try to not let them get closer than the tip of Link's sword and use the right attacks for the right spacing. From close to long range it goes sword attacks, grab/Zair/bombs, arrows/boomerang/bomb pull. Use the right attack at the right time before you move on to advanced techniques.
Link has 3 projectiles in addition to close range attacks so keep moving and pressuring the opponent. A lot of beginner players wait idly. You should try to play fast with a lot of pressure for the right spacing.

Some bread and butter combos are Dthrow>Fair is guaranteed on several characters. What followup works depends on the %s but a good rule of thumb is if the opponent is at: 10-30% Utilt or Usmash, 30-50% jump and Nair, 50-90% jump and Fair, and 90%+ jump and Uair. Here's a specific chart of what works on what characters:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VC-qvEWaQhgqR7MfMMGaTNyMiTQzXWDJGXpR__Uuzks/edit#gid=0

Bomb forward throw>Fair is usually really good. You can get even more combos from bombs by throwing on down from above or Z dropping them. Later use bombsliding when you're comfortable with the basics.

Other possible combos or "chains" (not true combos but work depending on what the opponent does) are:
Jab, jab, and cancel the 3rd jab into a followup like upB or possible roll/jump away if you're hitting a shield or not safe. Dtilt>hop and Fair can work sometimes. Zair>land and buffer jab. At lower %s Nair/Fair>land and jab or quick ground followup. Nair>uncharged arrow can "lock" opponents who bounce on the ground, what this means is they will only be able to stand without rolling or attack so you get a free Fsmash punish. The first kick of Bair has no knockback so you can land before the 2nd kick and combo into upB or turn and jab.

If you have trouble remember Utilt has wide range, low startup and lag, and can KO after 130-150%. Really nice and simple option.

Wow that's a lot of info thank you very much! And sorry I messed up in my original post I meant dtilt to fair or uair not dthrow. I've read other places it's true and also not so clearifation on that would be great and thank you again going to have to start writing this in my book n memorizing it

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122

thanks for the info is dthrow to fair true because seems at middish precent my oppaent air dodges it or double jumps. is my timing just not tight enough? also i notice that if i try to d throw to full jump fair i input it too fast and he short hops fair insted. but thanks all your info went into my notebook lol along with both izaws videos took good hour +. thanks again

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
thanks for the info is dthrow to fair true because seems at middish precent my oppaent air dodges it or double jumps. is my timing just not tight enough? also i notice that if i try to d throw to full jump fair i input it too fast and he short hops fair insted. but thanks all your info went into my notebook lol along with both izaws videos took good hour +. thanks again
Most of Link's true combos have specific %s they work and that changes on different opponents and with rage. For Dthrow you can see what works on who in this chart:
Often Dthrow>Jump>Nair connects when Fair doesn't because Nair starts faster than Fair. When the damage builds up Uair is a better followup from Dthrow because the opponent is flung too high. Against some characters like Samus Dthrow doesn't have true combos because she's heavy but doesn't fall fast.

A lot of times Link can't true combo but he can read what the opponent does and be in a good position to punish.

Rizen

Smash Legend
i just notice myslef doing a lot of dtilt either just for spacing or jab 1,2 dtilt is this a good habbit to keep in mind or should i be replace dtilt with up tilt?
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link
DTilt alone is a safe spacing move because Link recovers from it quickly and the 11% damage means it has good hit/shield stun. The downside is Dtilt starts frame 11, which means the opponent can act before you if you used it after jab 2. Utilt and ground spin attack start frame 8 so they're the fastest followups to jab. Keep in mind at earlier damage %s the opponent will have less hitstun than when they have high damage. Jab canceling is rarely a true combo so if you do it too much opponents can hop out or even hit you if they're fast enough. It can be a good mix-up though. You can do things like jab, jab, step back and pivot Ftilt if the opponent starts to punish the cancel.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
So I had something weird happen. A friend and I were playing, and he snapped to ledge. I threw out a grab, and I grabbed him. We were both surprised, so we saved the replay, and I'll have it on YouTube asap. Was what happened a fluke, or is it something we can use?

Rizen

Smash Legend
So I had something weird happen. A friend and I were playing, and he snapped to ledge. I threw out a grab, and I grabbed him. We were both surprised, so we saved the replay, and I'll have it on YouTube asap. Was what happened a fluke, or is it something we can use?
The grab bubble on Link's hand is bigger than at the claw. That might have grabbed the vulnerability.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I have just started using Link in year 2 of my game play. I have bounced around as my understanding has deepened.

In day 3 of cpu training I am starting to appreciate his aerials and tilts for frame traps. I don't want to just wall, and I enjoy his options.

How do I differentiat between zoning tools and their strategies to more utilize his sword and claw? I'm becoming more and more of a fan of his open field. How do I quickly decide what zoning option to utilize and better open his other tool set?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have just started using Link in year 2 of my game play. I have bounced around as my understanding has deepened.

In day 3 of cpu training I am starting to appreciate his aerials and tilts for frame traps. I don't want to just wall, and I enjoy his options.

How do I differentiat between zoning tools and their strategies to more utilize his sword and claw? I'm becoming more and more of a fan of his open field. How do I quickly decide what zoning option to utilize and better open his other tool set?
It depends on what opponent you're facing but a good rule of thumb is to look at the spacing. Will the tip of Link's sword hit? That's sword spacing or Close Quarter Combat (CQC), pivots apply here too. Will the sword miss but grab and Zair will hit? That's clawshot range with bomb toss and maybe aerial boomerang/ SH aerials. Farther than that? Boomerang, arrows and bomb pulls. Be sure you're safe to use projectiles as they're slower than sword attacks.
Also keep in mind Link has little landing lag and can throw bombs down or drop them. Platforms are your friends.

Top Bottom