• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A You Found the Hint Glasses! - Q&A and FAQ

D

Deleted member

Does links dthrow > uair work at kill percents?
It depends on how the opponent DIs the D-throw (I believe) and requires an essentially frame perfect Full Hop -> Uair input (possibly needing an immediate Dash Input beforehand if the opponent drifts forwards), but yes, it can true combo at certain percents.

Certain characters will not go as high after D-throw depending on their gravity/weight physics, Falco for instance IIRC stays relatively low most of the time after D-throw which makes it easier to connect with at its (DI-dependent) guaranteed percents.

Best case IMO is when you don't have rage, the input window for it to true combo is so tight and the effective range is so limited that having any rage will throw off D-Throw's knockback so that it either will connect at non-kill percents and not at kill percents or not connect at all (as a true combo) due to the lower hitstun at lower percents combined with the higher knockback from rage.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Sort of. Depending on how heavy your opponent is and how they DI, it's sort of possible to do it while your opponent is still in hitstun, but like @The Soulless One said it requires you to be nearly frame perfect. Also, as crazy as this sounds you can't just jump and uair, you have to wait a second for your opponent to fall down a little. As a timing hint, if it connects at all it's going to be with the tip of the sword.

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Sort of. Depending on how heavy your opponent is and how they DI, it's sort of possible to do it while your opponent is still in hitstun, but like @The Soulless One said it requires you to be nearly frame perfect. Also, as crazy as this sounds you can't just jump and uair, you have to wait a second for your opponent to fall down a little. As a timing hint, if it connects at all it's going to be with the tip of the sword.
What direction is the opponent supposed to DI for it to whiff? Light characters like Kirby or pikachu?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
What direction is the opponent supposed to DI for it to whiff? Light characters like Kirby or pikachu?
Left provides the greatest chance for survival, but right will usually guarantee safety too.

That said, I'm not sure if it's straight left/right or if there's a vertical component too. I don't go to training mode and try to DI my own attacks, I just look at how my opponent tends to DI certain attacks and base my followups on what they use most often. If there is a vertical component, it's up.

EDIT: Left, providing that Link is facing right. If Link is facing left, DI right.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yes but it's based on a read with tight timing. Link can Dthrow>jump>uair, Dthrow>buffer dash left or right>jump>Uair to follow their DI.
It's a guessing/reading game. Left or right.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Does anyone have a guide or tips for footstooling? I can never do it consistently and end up doing it by accident more than anything.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does anyone have a guide or tips for footstooling? I can never do it consistently and end up doing it by accident more than anything.
If you're touching and above the waist of an opponent footstools usually work. An easy way to get offstage footstools is by mashing jump after you've used your 2nd jump. They have weird "hitboxes".

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
If you're touching and above the waist of an opponent footstools usually work. An easy way to get offstage footstools is by mashing jump after you've used your 2nd jump. They have weird "hitboxes".
This helps a lot thank you!

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Is there an official Smash 4 stage guide for Link anywhere? I can't seem to find anything so I'm guessing most of the stages that were good/bad for him in Brawl are still true to some extent.

Also sorry for the double post.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
So now that bomb(explosion) does 4 frames of shield stun, how much shield stun does a unexploded bomb have?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So now that bomb(explosion) does 4 frames of shield stun, how much shield stun does a unexploded bomb have?
I assume that you're getting the 4 frames thing from here http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-notes-for-1-1-1.378472/page-13#post-20264432
which came from here http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-1-1-1.419235/
yes?

I should clarify the implications of this, because it's very likely that people don't realise how good projectiles technically are on shield. There is a very good reason why they gave projectiles less shield-hitstun then normal moves. The source linked above calculates shield-stun only, but it says nothing of shield-hitlag. With normal moves this wouldn't matter because both players experience the same amount of hitlag. E.g. Link's Nair hit the shield, both players are stuck in place for a little while, then Link starts to move again and the shield-stun starts at the same time, which lasts for like 8 frames or whatever and everyone moves on with their lives. Projectiles however, don't follow these rules. For projectiles, the frames of shield-hitlag they inflict are as good as shield-stun frames because Link doesn't freeze when one of his projectiles hits a shield.

What this means is that projectiles are better on shields than you may have realised.

Take the simple boomerang for example. It does 7%, so using the formula for calculating projectile shield-stun it does 4 frames of shield-stun (though I'm not actually so sure about this now that I look at it closely; the formula may be off slightly, it looks more like 5 frames but I don't care because calculating projectile shield-stun only is stupid, which is what I'm trying to explain) whereas a normal attack would have done 6 frames of shield-stun. But then when factoring in the amount of shield-hitlag the boomerang does, the opponent is stuck in shield unable to do any OoS options etc for 10 frames, all while Link is busy finishing off the boomerang animation or doing something else, meaning that projectiles actually get a better frame-advantage than normal attacks.

But now to answer your question:
If a bomb (not the explosion) hits a shield there is no shield-hitlag or shield-stun whatsoever. They can act OoS immediately, otherwise they have to wait 7 frames for the shield-drop.
If the explosion hits their shield, well then it will depend on how much damage the explosion is doing, and as you know that depends on how fast the bomb was independently traveling at the time it exploded (when talking about indirect explosions, which we necessarily are).
To give you an idea, let's say you throw the bomb down out of the air (while rising/falling, doesn't matter) and it hits the ground right next to their shield. If it wasn't shielded it would have inflicted 9%, so now the opponent is stuck in shield for 12 frames before they can do any OoS option or anything at all; they are locked in shield, and if hit by e.g. an aerial before these 12 frames end, this will be a true block-string; if 1 or 2 frames too late, it will be a pseudo block-string in that the opponent only has the option of taking the next hit on their shield or getting hit by it.

The thing about projectiles is that you can of course also increase the amount of frame-advantage you have by making the projectile hit later in the animation that started it (perhaps once the animation is already over), e.g. if you were further away when the boomerang or bomb was thrown.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Hey, I've recently got into Link and before you verbally wreck me I only got into the competitive scene in Smash 4! And would like to know what I could do with Z-air and know when to use it in place of other moves such as N-air.

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Hey, I've recently got into Link and before you verbally wreck me I only got into the competitive scene in Smash 4! And would like to know what I could do with Z-air and know when to use it in place of other moves such as N-air.
Zair is primarily a spacing and recovering tool. It does combo into other moves if you land right after hitting with the first hit. Timing is strict and I don't recommend using it like that. Other information on Zair can be found in the OP of the Metagame thread.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Hey Link mainers!
I'm a Diddy mainer but I have a lot of difficulties against Link.
Any suggests to fight Link with my little chimp?
and, moreover... any characters who have a good matchup against Link? How is Pikachu?

Last edited:

GerMoj

Smash Cadet
NNID
GerMoj
3DS FC
2595-0240-5750
Hi Spatman, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try to answer.

First, you should try seeking in Diddy's forums, heres the thread and is well organized http://smashboards.com/threads/chim...-matchup-thread-seeking-new-ownership.376604/

Secondly, you need to break our zoning as we have trouble in CQC, something that Diddy excels at, also your banana can be a real headache.

Finally, I think half of the cast has a good MU against Link. Link mains usaully have to play really smart if we want to win. Pikachu is good against Link, but it is harder to learn than Diddy (lots), Diddy is actually good against link, btw.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hello Link Boards.:) Probably my first, or maybe my second time posting. Anyway,

Question: What even?. .No really, why did my perfect shield kill Link?
Embed:

EDIT: So after re-creating it in Training Mode, I understand why. When Link is at the very end of the ledge & uses Spin Attack, if Link's UpB gets blocked regardless if it's perfect or regularly shielded, Link gets pushed away enough to physically fall & becomes helpless.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hello Link Boards.:) Probably my first, or maybe my second time posting. Anyway,

Question: What even?. .No really, why did my perfect shield kill Link?
Embed:

EDIT: So after re-creating it in Training Mode, I understand why. When Link is at the very end of the ledge & uses Spin Attack, if Link's UpB gets blocked regardless if it's perfect or regularly shielded, Link gets pushed away enough to physically fall & becomes helpless.
That's been known for a while now. Not to worry. I appreciate it that you found the answer yourself.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Is up b grounded ever the best option for anything? It has a lot of endlag, but at high percents I've been using it to read rolls without being to obvious about it.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Is up b grounded ever the best option for anything? It has a lot of endlag, but at high percents I've been using it to read rolls without being to obvious about it.
In my opinion it's a super high-risk reward move that should only be used around kill percents. I don't use it often myself considering if your opponent shields or dodges it you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

Honestly you have better options but it's okay every once in awhile to catch your opponent off guard.

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
What are Link's B'N'B Combos?
What moves can jab reset on Link?
What is his best aerial?

yes this is stupid to ask these simple questions, but i have no idea about link.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
What are Link's B'N'B Combos?
What moves can jab reset on Link?
What is his best aerial?

yes this is stupid to ask these simple questions, but i have no idea about link.
A lot of Link's combos are situational and require reads. This thread here can give you a better idea:
http://smashboards.com/threads/link...rmative-quotes-can-be-found-in-the-op.379659/

Link's moves than can jab lock are N-air, and Neutral-B.

His best aerial in my opinion is B-air considering it's frame data and the setups you can pull off with it.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Does jab still combo into stuff or did that get patched with jab1-jab1?

Thanks in advance

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
Does jab still combo into stuff or did that get patched with jab1-jab1?
Jab 1 to get bodied is guaranteed. Kappa

You can now double jab to get a follow up. A lot of them aren't guaranteed like Jab 1's were, but they work.

But really, don't just Jab 1, it has like 27 frames of lag.

Rosten

Smash Rookie
NNID
SSerif
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have any tips for Edge-guarding with Link? Most of the time I just end up sniping my opponent of the ledge and lobbing bombs at them, which doesn't tend to be very effective at all (And I can't land the Dair spike to save my life)

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have any tips for Edge-guarding with Link? Most of the time I just end up sniping my opponent of the ledge and lobbing bombs at them, which doesn't tend to be very effective at all (And I can't land the Dair spike to save my life)
The bow is the way to go, pun completely intended, just, don't charge it, trying to hit them with uncharged arrows is surprisingly easier in my opinion~

Welcome To The Site~

Rosten

Smash Rookie
NNID
SSerif
The bow is the way to go, pun completely intended, just, don't charge it, trying to hit them with uncharged arrows is surprisingly easier in my opinion~

Welcome To The Site~
Thanks for the welcome ^_^

I'll try making more use of the Bow, and uncharged arrows in general, as I don't quite have their trajectory quite down yet, so my ability to consistently shoot things with them is kind of off for the time being.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The Question and Answers thread is always the place to ask any questions

To hit a Dair spike you need to read a jump or airdodge. It's one of many tools, including Nair, bombs, arrows, Fair, Up B, trumping, ledgetrapping, even ground moves extending over the ledge like dash attack. Up B is real useful, B-reversed or not, you can pull a bomb and go far off-stage for an early kill, real free if you know your opponent will airdodge

Try looking at the (outdated) Institute of Advanced Link Edgeguarding

Also the Institute of Advanced Link Ledgetrapping

And be aware of this Z drop trick

Now if you need more practical advice on your game you could always record a simple match where you are clearly in the position to edgeguard but fail to, so we can see what potential options are in those situations

Rosten

Smash Rookie
NNID
SSerif
The Question and Answers thread is always the place to ask any questions
-snip-
Now if you need more practical advice on your game you could always record a simple match where you are clearly in the position to edgeguard but fail to, so we can see what potential options are in those situations
I'll make sure to watch those videos you linked once I get a moment, I'd like to do as you suggest, but I don't really have any means of recording matches in any decent quality, aside from bringing my phones camera to to the Gamepad screen.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Anything goes for opponents recovering high

Recovery mid can be any projectile, or an aerial if you're feeling lucky (note: never "feel lucky" as Link, always go for the reads)

Recovery low can be covered most safely with either a dropped bomb or a run off->bair if you want the stage spike. You can also try fair for a harder stage spike, or stage spike with up B. I wish I could suggest dair, but somehow after three Smash games (Melee, Brawl, and Sm4sh) hitting down C for more than a single frame will still cause you to fastfall to your doom. Don't ask me how that hasn't been fixed yet.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
rarely go for stagespikes all you'll get is minor damage against people not ******** (i.e. people who can tech)

Top Bottom