• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
wuts there to udderstand?
I'm saying brawl yoshi with OoS options would've been near top tier, while Brawl Yoshi feels better than smash 4 yoshi
Last one is a joke on everyone else's yoshi being better than mine.

Tenner

Smash Rookie
Idk I think Smash 4 Yoshi feels better than Brawl. He seems a bit faster with better aerial mobility because of eggs giving a bit of momentum.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi is definitely overrated in this game.

I mean he has like no true combos aside from the VERY occasional Uair string, struggles to kill a player that knows the match up and his neutral game is not as consistent as the top tier characters'.

I wish he had is brawl Bair and Pivot grab.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I'd also be down for wifi matches as ditto or Doc whenever you guys can play.
When my friends went to Apex, they were able to get aMSa's signature on my controller. However after a single smash session, it's getting smeared and fading away. ;( I guess I should've asked to sign on the front on the smash logo.

If Brawl Yoshi had OoS, he'd easily place into high tier. For him to place higher in this game, he needs his original pivot grab, Brawl Bair (although killing with it now is pretty nice) and Brawl Ftilt, better Side-B, and a kill throw (one can dream).

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sounds like you guys are having it rough and already encountered a wall. There's many aspects of Brawl Yoshi we all miss, especially double jump canceled neutral B mixups but is everyone really in agreement that he's mediocre and can't handle the top tiers? There aren't really many Yoshi's placing high, but at the same time there aren't very many good Yoshi's out there yet.

This is just my opinion so take it or leave it, but imho Yoshi can definitely keep up with the top tiers in terms of mobility (which the top tiers excel in) and has the tools, just have to work harder and get the MU experience in.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well as you said early in the game.
And with the age of social media and esports being big, you get big money/views on ur yt twitch fb etc. if you're good/sponsored which only happens if you win tournaments.

So the characters people will go too are the top tiers or just happen to main the really good characters like mario/luigi. Yoshi can't keep up with any of the top tiers (diddy sheik rosalina sonic fox c.falcon etc.) right now so until we find that one person that finally does something with yoshi since the last thing that happened with yoshi outside of melee stuff with amsa was Polt like
beating MK players that weren't even the top ones at the time of MLG's and some other decent sized tournaments. (him getting 1st at a regional in FL cause a lot of players were half drunk)

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Since MU discussion seems pretty important this early on, I made a Skype chat where I plan on gathering players from every character specific chat, into one for MU discussion.

Edit: link for some reason autocorrects to something else, just copy and paste this...

skype:?chat&blob=8dWUcz__4ed4SlQymHkEdKXQzCIElq_cW318zWNGWFxg03IFNk28BI1AaOBZVy2rL-bn0H7LQmXTlxTRXxmo9jE

Last edited:

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
Hey everyone. So I've been lurking around here for a while now, but I finally decided I want to step out and get involved with the community more and get better with Yoshi. I'm fairly new to Sm4sh coming from PM, so have a lot to learn. I'd love to add anyone who would want to play, so let me know. :)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Perfect pivot. That is all.
I'm now fully going to commit to perfect pivot and neutral b wavebounces by having my c stick set to attack finally, the smash 4 mechanics **** yoshi enough and one those big issues is shielding.

Gonna try and keep myself from using the cstick for smashes so best way to do that is attack for less lagy moves while also having two other benefits that'll hopefully become habit of using for the PP/WB and eventually after using those two for so long my fingers never use cstick for running smashes again.

I just need lab rats to go against to get used to cstick as attac.

Depster

Smash Champion
Hey everyone. So I've been lurking around here for a while now, but I finally decided I want to step out and get involved with the community more and get better with Yoshi. I'm fairly new to Sm4sh coming from PM, so have a lot to learn. I'd love to add anyone who would want to play, so let me know. :)
Kansas! I'm from Kansas =0 Going to school in Walla Walla, WA though, so I've just been playing smash4 and PM up here. Actually took 3rd in PM singles with Yoshi + 2 games of Falcon lol

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
Kansas! I'm from Kansas =0 Going to school in Walla Walla, WA though, so I've just been playing smash4 and PM up here. Actually took 3rd in PM singles with Yoshi + 2 games of Falcon lol
Awesome! I'm actually from Nebraska originally, but I've been living in Lawrence for the past couple of years. Coincidentally, I may be moving to the North West soon if my girlfriend decides to go to school in Oregon this year. :]

Scatz

Smash Champion
So rare non footage of me playing smash 4. Almost beating one of my friends after he got me to last stock at almost 200%. Got him to like 120% before losing momentum and dying.

Still got it. :)

N O N C L U T C H B O Y S

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I saved a replay of me playing a clutch Mario last night, being at 200% on my last stock and bringing it back for a win. Mario is NOT messing around in this game, holy shiiiiit.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
At a tourney yesterday this fox lived up to 200+% against me before finally dying. I feel like this happens too much lol. Maybe not at that extreme but yeahhhhhh

Last edited:

Kaeser

Smash Cadet
Hi all. It's been years since I've posted on Smash Boards, but I've been lurking again lately. I've been going to the local drop ins and tournaments here in Edmonton maining Yoshi with the occasional pocket R.O.B. I also notice Nikes is from my home town, Adelaide, so I'll have to head to the locals there once I'm back.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hi all. It's been years since I've posted on Smash Boards, but I've been lurking again lately. I've been going to the local drop ins and tournaments here in Edmonton maining Yoshi with the occasional pocket R.O.B. I also notice Nikes is from my home town, Adelaide, so I'll have to head to the locals there once I'm back.
That's awesome dude! It'll be great to have you on board. When do you come back? We'd love to have you. :)

As for the 200% thing, I've got footage of living against a R.O.B. over 200% on YouTube and it's been happening a lot in offline games lately for me too.

Kaeser

Smash Cadet
Well I have a work visa and contract with my current employer lasting until June 2016. I've been in Canada since June last year, and I haven't made up my mind as to whether I'll stay the duration. I'll be back one day for sure!

I used to go to Streetgeek events back in the early Brawl days, usually placing 2nd to DJBrowny and maining Wolf/ICs.

Late December last year was my first Smash tournament in ages and I managed 14-17th out of 55 entrants and on Saturday I placed 6-7th out of 28 entrants. Looking forward to the Mario MU discussion as it's one I need to work on!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sounds like you definitely know what youre doing then, good stuff! There's a thread here in which you can post your results if you feel like it.

For Mario you can Nair or double jump right out of his Dthrow string which helps a lot.

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
Does anyone here happen to live in or close by Pittsburgh, PA or Brighton, CO? I'm stopping by for 10 days in each for business soon, and I would love to play some games with anyone that's in the area or meet the Sm4sh scene there. :]

Last edited:

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
Yeah, I've been looking. I just found a weekly going on there that I can make. I'll probably end up going. :]

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Everytime I look at your avatar it seems like Toon link has breasts.
If CO, just go to their thread and post, they reside on FB mostly but they'll answer sooner or later if there's a post in the thread.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
How long you guys gonna be discussing?
Majora's Mask DLC on HW been eating my time and I been holding off discussions on MU's lately because of it.
if it still goes on by Tuesday and such I'll head over to play some Falco's. It's honestly a completely new MU from brawl to smash 4 cause of all the Falco changes.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
How long you guys gonna be discussing?
Majora's Mask DLC on HW been eating my time and I been holding off discussions on MU's lately because of it.
if it still goes on by Tuesday and such I'll head over to play some Falco's. It's honestly a completely new MU from brawl to smash 4 cause of all the Falco changes.
It's ongoing and people can hop in whenever. So, it's more of a heads up, we have a MU thread if you're interested in giving input. Usually, I add about 2 different MU threads per week. I might make a third one on Peach because it's Valentine's Day and she has hearts and stuff for her attacks.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's ongoing and people can hop in whenever. So, it's more of a heads up, we have a MU thread if you're interested in giving input. Usually, I add about 2 different MU threads per week. I might make a third one on Peach because it's Valentine's Day and she has hearts and stuff for her attacks.
The best of reasons.

I don't know jack about the match up, so I'll be waiting to hit up the WiFi thread on Monday, when I'm back around my WiiU. Prepare your birds, cuz it's hunting season!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The best of reasons.

I don't know jack about the match up, so I'll be waiting to hit up the WiFi thread on Monday, when I'm back around my WiiU. Prepare your birds, cuz it's hunting season!
Fun fact: If you shoot Falco too many times in one mission of Star Fox: Assault, he'll say, "What? Is it bird season all of a sudden?!?"

Ah, the joys of having Duck Dodgers aka Daffy Duck as an avatar: "Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSSW9pDIP7g&feature=youtu.be
I did this in a laggy FG match by accident! Some of you who are in the Skype group may remember back when Yonezmi made a vine on this, but we never made any discoveries on how exactly to do this. (Suggestion to anyone who's interested in helping figure this out, watch in 720p for 60fps, watch on yourepeat.com and get a plugin that can slow down YouTube videos so you can watch in finer detail, we can crack this!)

Edit: Pulled it off some more in training mode :D

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
Fun fact: If you shoot Falco too many times in one mission of Star Fox: Assault, he'll say, "What? Is it bird season all of a sudden?!?"

Ah, the joys of having Duck Dodgers aka Daffy Duck as an avatar: "Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
Lol isn't that the episode where Bugs says it's baseball season and throws a ball that Elmer chases after? I love those old cartoons...

Top Bottom