• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Dittos

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Alright. I've been told numerous times that "dittos don't mean anything." So if two players play a ditto and player A wins all the matches, you can't say that player A is better than player B. What do you guys think about this?

I consider a ditto just another character match-up that you can either play or you can't. If I never play against any Samus players and I get destroyed by one, that's the same if I get destroyed by another Yoshi player because I haven't played any others. In my opinion, dittos are another character match-up that you have to know how to play and there is a lot of credibility in being able to beat another player in a ditto match.

I guess this discussion would be more relevant to higher-tiered characters because it's MUCH more likely that a high-tier character will meet the same high-tier character in a tournament setting. So don't think about this as just Yoshi vs. Yoshi. I mean, if two MKs play against each other and one beats the other every time, who would you say is better? I know there are a plethora of other characters that you have to know match-up wise but as I'm trying to say, once you get into higher-tiered characters, this becomes WAAY more important.

One of the arguments is that a ditto is always 50:50 and so if player A beats player B every time, then player A is better because the match-up should be even. Anyway, discuss please!

Metatitan

Smash Master
Alright. I've been told numerous times that "dittos don't mean anything." So if two players play a ditto and player A wins all the matches, you can't say that player A is better than player B. What do you guys think about this?

I consider a ditto just another character match-up that you can either play or you can't. If I never play against any Samus players and I get destroyed by one, that's the same if I get destroyed by another Yoshi player because I haven't played any others. In my opinion, dittos are another character match-up that you have to know how to play and there is a lot of credibility in being able to beat another player in a ditto match.

I guess this discussion would be more relevant to higher-tiered characters because it's MUCH more likely that a high-tier character will meet the same high-tier character in a tournament setting. So don't think about this as just Yoshi vs. Yoshi. I mean, if two MKs play against each other and one beats the other every time, who would you say is better? I know there are a plethora of other characters that you have to know match-up wise but as I'm trying to say, once you get into higher-tiered characters, this becomes WAAY more important.

One of the arguments is that a ditto is always 50:50 and so if player A beats player B every time, then player A is better because the match-up should be even. Anyway, discuss please!

Ditto's don't mean anything because some really ******** **** can happen (for instance ddd edge infiniting himself). Aside from that, if you both have the EXACT same options, if you're doing something that works, they can just copy it and do the EXACT SAME THING back to you. That's not thinking and adjusting really, that's just mimicry. The only exception really is metaknight because he has so many options that he has MULTIPLE counters to each of his own strategies. With yoshi dittos, they don't really mean anything. I can egg roll all I want and it can be really difficult for yoshi to punish without a real OoS game, but if I did that on any other character I would get *****. The thing is about dittos (aside from mk) it's mostly a game of copycat

D

Deleted member

Knowing dittos is really important for certain characters.
They do prove who is better at the matchup, but they do not prove who is the better player overall.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Ditto's don't mean anything because some really ******** **** can happen (for instance ddd edge infiniting himself). Aside from that, if you both have the EXACT same options, if you're doing something that works, they can just copy it and do the EXACT SAME THING back to you. That's not thinking and adjusting really, that's just mimicry. The only exception really is metaknight because he has so many options that he has MULTIPLE counters to each of his own strategies. With yoshi dittos, they don't really mean anything. I can egg roll all I want and it can be really difficult for yoshi to punish without a real OoS game, but if I did that on any other character I would get *****. The thing is about dittos (aside from mk) it's mostly a game of copycat
You shouldn't be able to egg roll against a Yoshi. shorthop neutral aerial wins the exchange, pivot grab beats it, egg-lay beats it, etc... If you can't get out of the same combos that you're executing, then you can't adjust. You know what to expect and so does your opponent. You know what moves are punishable and which ones aren't. In a match where no what you call "******** ****" happens, it's not a game a copycat, but a game of knowing what to expect and outplaying your opponent. Going back to your DDD argument, why did one DDD get in the infinite in the first place? He screwed up and the other outplayed him so that he was trapped in it. That's his own fault for not looking out for it and getting in a bad position. If you do something that works against your opponent, you should automatically expect it against you.

In the case of Yoshi, you have a release chain grab against Yoshi if the other Yoshi air-dodges. If the other player doesn't know this, you can get one or two of them off during the match and most likely, they'll try it against you. But if you know about it, you should know that you have to wait and side-dodge or double jump out of it.

Take Yoshi's ledge egg camp. The Yoshi on the stage should know what to expect and he should know what beats it and adjust accordingly. If he doesn't, then the one on the ledge can continue his assault and then when the one of the stage tries it, the one that was on the ledge should know how to get out of it. If you call it a game of copycat, then the one that starts it would be at fault because you should know how to avoid/get out of everything you do.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Knowing dittos is really important for certain characters.
They do prove who is better at the matchup, but they do not prove who is the better player overall.
The importance issue is extremely relevant to top-tier characters because if you go to a tournament and you main Falco, DDD, MK, etc... you WILL go against your own character. Period.

Metatitan

Smash Master
You shouldn't be able to egg roll against a Yoshi. shorthop neutral aerial wins the exchange, pivot grab beats it, egg-lay beats it, etc... If you can't get out of the same combos that you're executing, then you can't adjust. You know what to expect and so does your opponent. You know what moves are punishable and which ones aren't. In a match where no what you call "******** ****" happens, it's not a game a copycat, but a game of knowing what to expect and outplaying your opponent. Going back to your DDD argument, why did one DDD get in the infinite in the first place? He screwed up and the other outplayed him so that he was trapped in it. That's his own fault for not looking out for it and getting in a bad position. If you do something that works against your opponent, you should automatically expect it against you.

In the case of Yoshi, you have a release chain grab against Yoshi if the other Yoshi air-dodges. If the other player doesn't know this, you can get one or two of them off during the match and most likely, they'll try it against you. But if you know about it, you should know that you have to wait and side-dodge or double jump out of it.

Take Yoshi's ledge egg camp. The Yoshi on the stage should know what to expect and he should know what beats it and adjust accordingly. If he doesn't, then the one on the ledge can continue his assault and then when the one of the stage tries it, the one that was on the ledge should know how to get out of it. If you call it a game of copycat, then the one that starts it would be at fault because you should know how to avoid/get out of everything you do.
Let me rephrase the egg roll thing: If you use egg roll against a yoshi in his shield, there's little he can do about it. Anyway's what you've said applies about as much to peach as it does yoshi. If both players know each other's ledge games then being on the ledge can be really risky for both characters. Same thing with grab releases. Besides, I'd much rather go peach on a yoshi in a tournament match, that way it's not just a match of two yoshies double jump up airing each other (as in u get hit by uair and hit him in his lag with uair).

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Let me rephrase the egg roll thing: If you use egg roll against a yoshi in his shield, there's little he can do about it. Anyway's what you've said applies about as much to peach as it does yoshi. If both players know each other's ledge games then being on the ledge can be really risky for both characters. Same thing with grab releases. Besides, I'd much rather go peach on a yoshi in a tournament match, that way it's not just a match of two yoshies double jump up airing each other (as in u get hit by uair and hit him in his lag with uair).
So you would go Peach against a Yoshi in a tourney because you like your chances better as Peach? Would you do the opposite and go Yoshi against a Peach in a tournament if that happened? Then you have to consider the case of "what if you don't have a secondary?" You HAVE to know how to play against your own character. And assuming no stupid stuff happens (like tripping into guaranteed combos) you should have to outplay your opponent. If you lose, then you were outplayed. It's not because "it was a ditto so it doesn't mean anything." You lost the match and that's your fault for not knowing your own match-up better.

Metatitan

Smash Master
So you would go Peach against a Yoshi in a tourney because you like your chances better as Peach? Would you do the opposite and go Yoshi against a Peach in a tournament if that happened? Then you have to consider the case of "what if you don't have a secondary?" You HAVE to know how to play against your own character. And assuming no stupid stuff happens (like tripping into guaranteed combos) you should have to outplay your opponent. If you lose, then you were outplayed. It's not because "it was a ditto so it doesn't mean anything." You lost the match and that's your fault for not knowing your own match-up better.
By that logic every ddd player would have to know how to do a ddd ditto. But they don't. Dittos have been laughed at ever since melee. Don't try to argue that one matchup makes one player better than the other, it doesn't. Say I was amazing at playing ddd's and someone else exactly at my level knew how to **** marths. Would you be able to tell who is better? No because we would both be at the same level, just competent in different match ups. Assuming people are knowledgeable in yoshi dittos is INCREDIBLY STUPID. NO region has more than two yoshi mains who live nearby each other and therefore NOBODY really knows that matchup that well.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I find dittos interesting, since they can show you options and ideas of the character you play. I know Disco Shark learned a lot about Yoshi's grab game from playing me in a 45 minute ditto.

However, they don't necessarily show who's better. They just show who knows how to beat their own character using their own options. That doesn't mean they're worth NOTHING, just that they're only worth one match up. A better player would know many match ups. I'm pretty sure me 3-stocking Air in a ditto isn't worth NOTHING. I'm pretty sure me ****** Disco Sharp in our 45 minute session is worth NOTHING. I know that Hades and I going even in dittos isn't worth NOTHING.

And Meta, just playing Devil's Advocate here, but I live only about 20 minutes away from Silent Beast. Aha.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I find dittos interesting, since they can show you options and ideas of the character you play. I know Disco Shark learned a lot about Yoshi's grab game from playing me in a 45 minute ditto.

However, they don't necessarily show who's better. They just show who knows how to beat their own character using their own options. That doesn't mean they're worth NOTHING, just that they're only worth one match up. A better player would know many match ups. I'm pretty sure me 3-stocking Air in a ditto isn't worth NOTHING. I'm pretty sure me ****** Disco Sharp in our 45 minute session is worth NOTHING. I know that Hades and I going even in dittos isn't worth NOTHING.

And Meta, just playing Devil's Advocate here, but I live only about 20 minutes away from Silent Beast. Aha.
Silent Beast doesn't own a wii and hasn't played in a long long time.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
By that logic every ddd player would have to know how to do a ddd ditto. But they don't. Dittos have been laughed at ever since melee. Don't try to argue that one matchup makes one player better than the other, it doesn't. Say I was amazing at playing ddd's and someone else exactly at my level knew how to **** marths. Would you be able to tell who is better? No because we would both be at the same level, just competent in different match ups. Assuming people are knowledgeable in yoshi dittos is INCREDIBLY STUPID. NO region has more than two yoshi mains who live nearby each other and therefore NOBODY really knows that matchup that well.
What I'm trying to do is broaden this discussion to characters beyond Yoshi. I'm just using Yoshi as an example because he's my only main. I never said that knowing a single match-up (in this case the same character) makes you a better player. Because it doesn't. What I'm saying is that if you don't know a match-up, you are not as good as you could/should be. As I said to Burntsocks, the argument gets MUCH more relevant with high-tier characters. You can argue that a ditto is just one of the 36 match-ups in the game. And maybe that's all that it is, but to say that it's worth nothing is incredibly stupid. I still stand by if nothing "stupid" in the match happens, then the player that wins outplayed the one that lost. And for the match-up, the one that won is better. You can't say that the ditto means nothing.

Metatitan

Smash Master
What I'm trying to do is broaden this discussion to characters beyond Yoshi. I'm just using Yoshi as an example because he's my only main. I never said that knowing a single match-up (in this case the same character) makes you a better player. Because it doesn't. What I'm saying is that if you don't know a match-up, you are not as good as you could/should be. As I said to Burntsocks, the argument gets MUCH more relevant with high-tier characters. You can argue that a ditto is just one of the 36 match-ups in the game. And maybe that's all that it is, but to say that it's worth nothing is incredibly stupid. I still stand by if nothing "stupid" in the match happens, then the player that wins outplayed the one that lost. And for the match-up, the one that won is better. You can't say that the ditto means nothing.
Let's take it into terms then. The only higher tier dittos I can see happening often in a tournament are:

MK
Snake
Marth
Diddy
Kirby
Wario

Aaaaand that's about it really. Wanna know why? Because these are the most common top/high tier characters. I practically dig myself out of bananas at tournaments because there are so many diddy kongs. MK is an obvious given of course, there are also a good number of marths and warios, and for some reason I see a lot of kirbies o.O. Snake is becoming more popular so that's probably another common ditto we will behold in the future, but to be honest aside from mk dittos, dittos AREN'T that frequent.

D

Deleted member

I know but the title of the thread is yoshi dittos, and as it applies to yoshi mains, its a very unimportant matchup.
Dittos are important for good characters.
Its not too complicated xD

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Well then let's go back to the original statement that I made at the beginning of the thread. People say that "dittos mean nothing" I disagree with this statement entirely. Do you think that you accomplish nothing from winning a dittos match? Dittos don't mean "nothing." That is completely ******** to say and you can't change me on that.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Well then let's go back to the original statement that I made at the beginning of the thread. People say that "dittos mean nothing" I disagree with this statement entirely. Do you think that you accomplish nothing from winning a dittos match? Dittos don't mean "nothing." That is completely ******** to say and you can't change me on that.
They mean virtually nothing. Depending on the ditto, it may be worth a teeny bit. But a yoshi ditto? Nothing whatsoever. A MK ditto? Yes.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
They mean virtually nothing. Depending on the ditto, it may be worth a teeny bit. But a yoshi ditto? Nothing whatsoever. A MK ditto? Yes.
I still can't understand where you're getting your logic. If you lose a Yoshi ditto, you got outcamped, outspaced, outcomboed, or just outplayed in general. If you're talking about the value of it in say a big tournament, then I can see why it's virtually worthless because you won't find another Yoshi player. But you can learn a LOT from a ditto that you never would have learned from fighting other characters. You get an entirely different play style for the same character pitted against you and you can analyze which one is better. Especially if you record it, you can see your errors and get new combos and strategies.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I still can't understand where you're getting your logic. If you lose a Yoshi ditto, you got outcamped, outspaced, outcomboed, or just outplayed in general. If you're talking about the value of it in say a big tournament, then I can see why it's virtually worthless because you won't find another Yoshi player. But you can learn a LOT from a ditto that you never would have learned from fighting other characters. You get an entirely different play style for the same character pitted against you and you can analyze which one is better. Especially if you record it, you can see your errors and get new combos and strategies.
Learning from each other =/= importance in who is better. You CANNOT judge skill from yoshi dittos. And it's not a matter of outcamped because you have the same camp game. It's not really a matter of outcomboed because you have the same combo game. Spacing is all I can really see, and yoshi dittoes don't emphasize on spacing as much as say peach dittos. I never said you couldn't learn a lot, don't change the subject. What if the playstyle for a yoshi who is good at fighting gw's counters the playstyle of a yoshi who is good at fighting mks? Do you think it matters if the one who knows how to fight gw wins? NOT AT ALL. Because the one who knows how to fight mks knows how to fight a character with more options and a more common character, that yoshi will place better and therefore be recognized as the better yoshi. DITTOS DON'T MEAN SQUAT!

bigman40

Smash Master
While Yoshi dittos don't have much to prove, you can use them to learn certain styles, mixups, and options that could help you. If I can beat Bwett at dittos, it only means that I'm just better at the matchup.

....Zuzuzu....

Metatitan

Smash Master
While Yoshi dittos don't have much to prove, you can use them to learn certain styles, mixups, and options that could help you. If I can beat Bwett at dittos, it only means that I'm just better at the matchup.

....Zuzuzu....
I said you could learn from them, and I also said they don't mean anything.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Learning from each other =/= importance in who is better. You CANNOT judge skill from yoshi dittos. And it's not a matter of outcamped because you have the same camp game. It's not really a matter of outcomboed because you have the same combo game. Spacing is all I can really see, and yoshi dittoes don't emphasize on spacing as much as say peach dittos. I never said you couldn't learn a lot, don't change the subject. What if the playstyle for a yoshi who is good at fighting gw's counters the playstyle of a yoshi who is good at fighting mks? Do you think it matters if the one who knows how to fight gw wins? NOT AT ALL. Because the one who knows how to fight mks knows how to fight a character with more options and a more common character, that yoshi will place better and therefore be recognized as the better yoshi. DITTOS DON'T MEAN SQUAT!
What about being able to adjust your playstyle? If you can't beat another person's playstyle then yours needs work. It doesn't stop at dittos. If one Yoshi's playstyle beats yours, then yours shouldn't work for every other match-up. If you play against MKs and G&Ws differently, then you can vary your playstyle. Being able to adjust to another Yoshi's playstyle should be able to be applied to EVERY character. Just because you have the exact same moves doesn't mean you can't use them to a greater potential and know how to avoid the devastating ones. And just because dittos have the same combos doesn't mean you can't get outcomboed. Some combos are harder to do than others and you can't always just pick up a new one on the spot just because you see someone else do it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
What about being able to adjust your playstyle? If you can't beat another person's playstyle then yours needs work. It doesn't stop at dittos. If one Yoshi's playstyle beats yours, then yours shouldn't work for every other match-up. If you play against MKs and G&Ws differently, then you can vary your playstyle. Being able to adjust to another Yoshi's playstyle should be able to be applied to EVERY character. Just because you have the exact same moves doesn't mean you can't use them to a greater potential and know how to avoid the devastating ones. And just because dittos have the same combos doesn't mean you can't get outcomboed. Some combos are harder to do than others and you can't always just pick up a new one on the spot just because you see someone else do it.
Yoshi be applied to every character? You'd think otherwise if you had a wolf in your region. Anyways havok had a great term for learning matchups, "double digits", meaning that it takes __ amount of hours (double digits usually) to learn a matchup inside and out. Adjusting is one thing but if you haven't a ****ing clue about yoshi dittos, then they don't prove anything. Unless you are both experts on the yoshi ditto matchup then I don't see how you could ever possibly think they meant anything. Give it up Yosh, NOBODY thinks they mean much.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Yoshi be applied to every character? You'd think otherwise if you had a wolf in your region. Anyways havok had a great term for learning matchups, "double digits", meaning that it takes __ amount of hours (double digits usually) to learn a matchup inside and out. Adjusting is one thing but if you haven't a ****ing clue about yoshi dittos, then they don't prove anything. Unless you are both experts on the yoshi ditto matchup then I don't see how you could ever possibly think they meant anything. Give it up Yosh, NOBODY thinks they mean much.
You just said that adjusting is one thing. If two players of equal skill face each other in a ditto and player A always wins, then player A can adjust better on the spot. That's almost as useful if not more useful than knowing every in and out of a particular matchup.

Metatitan

Smash Master
You just said that adjusting is one thing. If two players of equal skill face each other in a ditto and player A always wins, then player A can adjust better on the spot. That's almost as useful if not more useful than knowing every in and out of a particular matchup.
That would be describing the rate at which they are learning THAT PARTICULAR MATCHUP. Keep in mind that people can learn different matchups at different rate. Also keep in mind that NOBODY will go out of their way to learn a yoshi ditto matchup BECAUSE THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AS FAR AS WHO THE BETTER PLAYER IS. Now then if I used a character that went exactly even with yoshi and had as much extensive knowledge as that yoshi user about the matchup, then yes that can label skill. But we're talking about a matchup that's useless to learn.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I'm not saying that learning a Yoshi ditto is useful. I never said that learning it was useful because you'll never find another Yoshi in a tournament. But there is at least SOME credibility in winning a ditto matchup. If some random-*** Yoshi player that no one has ever heard of came onto these threads and had 10 videos of him beating Bwett or Bigman, would you say "it's a ditto so it doesn't matter" or would you give that new Yoshi player some credibility as being a good player?

Metatitan

Smash Master
I'm not saying that learning a Yoshi ditto is useful. I never said that learning it was useful because you'll never find another Yoshi in a tournament. But there is at least SOME credibility in winning a ditto matchup. If some random-*** Yoshi player that no one has ever heard of came onto these threads and had 10 videos of him beating Bwett or Bigman, would you say "it's a ditto so it doesn't matter" or would you give that new Yoshi player some credibility as being a good player?
If that random *** yoshi main beat them then he knew the matchup better than them. It doesn't prove anything about his skill at all.

Bwett>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you and me yosh. And yet in our dittos (friendlies but still) we were able to take him to the last stock, heck you even beat him twice. And yet we both acknowledge we aren't even close to his level.

bigman40

Smash Master
would you say "it's a ditto so it doesn't matter" or would you give that new Yoshi player some credibility as being a good player?
I would give the credibility if I can see a solid playstyle. Seeing that doesn't require people to do well in dittos, but it can hurt when you're just being stupid if you're taking that MU seriously.

Either way, Idc cause I suck at this game.

....Zuzuzu....

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
If that random *** yoshi main beat them then he knew the matchup better than them. It doesn't prove anything about his skill at all.

Bwett>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you and me yosh. And yet in our dittos (friendlies but still) we were able to take him to the last stock, heck you even beat him twice. And yet we both acknowledge we aren't even close to his level.
To quote The Princess Bride, "It appears we are at an impasse." I'm never going to change my stand on the issue and from the way you've attacked it, neither are you. If anyone else wants to offer any arguments to the issue than let them, but our discussion between each other is not going anywhere.

Metatitan

Smash Master
To quote The Princess Bride, "It appears we are at an impasse." I'm never going to change my stand on the issue and from the way you've attacked it, neither are you. If anyone else wants to offer any arguments to the issue than let them, but our discussion between each other is not going anywhere.
Listen, winning a yoshi ditto does prove something, it proves about as much as if you say know the captain falcon matchup. So while it means something, at the same time it doesn't. Get it? You can know the yoshi ditto matchup but no one will really care because odds are your opponent doesn't know it and it can't prove who is better.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Listen, winning a yoshi ditto does prove something, it proves about as much as if you say know the captain falcon matchup. So while it means something, at the same time it doesn't. Get it? You can know the yoshi ditto matchup but no one will really care because odds are your opponent doesn't know it and it can't prove who is better.
*sigh* I just said I'm never going to change my stand on the issue. I can guarantee you that I had NEVER played another Yoshi in person before I played Bwett at Genesis. I knew NOTHING about the match-up. The reason I was able to beat him was because I was able to adjust to his playstyle and adjust mine accordingly. What little experience Bwett had playing against other Yoshis was more than what I had. You can see it even in the matches. He almost 2-stocked me the first game, we went dead even the second game, I beat him with more room for error in the third game.

Depster

Smash Champion
What are you trying to prove? Honestly, nobody on this board takes dittos seriously because the matchup is just stupid silly. Telling us they matter just makes you look dumb...

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
What are you trying to prove? Honestly, nobody on this board takes dittos seriously because the matchup is just stupid silly. Telling us they matter just makes you look dumb...
I'm not saying that they matter. I'm saying that you should be able to say SOMETHING about someone other than "they know the match-up better" if they win a ditto match. In my opinion, if you lose a ditto match, then you got outplayed. Period. So you should be able to say that player A outplayed player B in the match. And if someone got outplayed, then there's some credibility that should be given to the victor.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I'm not saying that they matter. I'm saying that you should be able to say SOMETHING about someone other than "they know the match-up better" if they win a ditto match. In my opinion, if you lose a ditto match, then you got outplayed. Period. So you should be able to say that player A outplayed player B in the match. And if someone got outplayed, then there's some credibility that should be given to the victor.
Nope you're wrong

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Nope you're wrong
Heh, you're bashing me just like you tried to do about the Fox match-up at Genesis when you and Bwett were talking about it. You can't say that absolutely no credibility can be given when you win a match. And you never answered my question a while ago. You said if the unlikely event happened that you found a Yoshi in a tournament, you said you would go Peach. If you met a Peach player would you go Yoshi? I'm just trying to figure out if you would avoid the ditto match altogether.

D

Deleted member

Alright listen here sir.
You can say that yoshi dittos mean something. Adapting, being better, etc.
But lets be honest. Do you honestly think that you beating bwett in a yoshi ditto means you are better than him. Or even even with him.
Ive beaten quite a few good players, better than me. Does that mean im better than them. Nope.
Ive beaten havoks marth in a friendly with G&W, which is arguable G&Ws worst matchup. Does that mean i adapted better, and thus, am better?
Not really, its a friendly.
A yoshi ditto is a matchup, and its a silly one, with all the dumb stuff you can do to eachother. They are kind of hard to take seriously haha.

A DITTO FRIENDLY means close to nothing.

Ive lost yoshi dittos to people much worse than me and i just say gg, nice job. I dont go to the boards and be like "OMG ____ beat me in a ditto hes so pro"

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Alright listen here sir.
You can say that yoshi dittos mean something. Adapting, being better, etc.
But lets be honest. Do you honestly think that you beating bwett in a yoshi ditto means you are better than him. Or even even with him.
Ive beaten quite a few good players, better than me. Does that mean im better than them. Nope.
Ive beaten havoks marth in a friendly with G&W, which is arguable G&Ws worst matchup. Does that mean i adapted better, and thus, am better?
Not really, its a friendly.
A yoshi ditto is a matchup, and its a silly one, with all the dumb stuff you can do to eachother. They are kind of hard to take seriously haha.

A DITTO FRIENDLY means close to nothing.

Ive lost yoshi dittos to people much worse than me and i just say gg, nice job. I dont go to the boards and be like "OMG ____ beat me in a ditto hes so pro"
Did I ever say that I thought I was better than Bwett? No. As I've said probably 4 times now, this discussion is more important when you get into the higher-tiered characters. The reason that I'm discussing it here on the Yoshi forum is YOSHI IS MY ONLY MAIN. Therefore even in the unlikely event that I find another Yoshi player in a tournament. I HAVE TO KNOW THE MATCHUP. I don't have the luxury of say Metatitan to be able to switch to Peach if I don't like my chances or my lack of experience. Knowing a low-tiered match-up is not next to worthless in a fighter game. There are several instances of someone going into a huge tournament with a low-tier character and winning. In the Marvel vs Capcom II grand finals in 2007, Justin Wong picked one D-tier character and two F-tier characters against his opponent's team of all top-tier and Justin won. In the Blazblue grand finals, a Tager (THE worst character in the game) main went 2-3 with the the top character in the game (Nu). Even in Brawl, Ally went Captain Falcon against Anther in the grand finals and won.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Did I ever say that I thought I was better than Bwett? No. As I've said probably 4 times now, this discussion is more important when you get into the higher-tiered characters. The reason that I'm discussing it here on the Yoshi forum is YOSHI IS MY ONLY MAIN. Therefore even in the unlikely event that I find another Yoshi player in a tournament. I HAVE TO KNOW THE MATCHUP. I don't have the luxury of say Metatitan to be able to switch to Peach if I don't like my chances or my lack of experience. Knowing a low-tiered match-up is not next to worthless in a fighter game. There are several instances of someone going into a huge tournament with a low-tier character and winning. In the Marvel vs Capcom II grand finals in 2007, Justin Wong picked one D-tier character and two F-tier characters against his opponent's team of all top-tier and Justin won. In the Blazblue grand finals, a Tager (THE worst character in the game) main went 2-3 with the the top character in the game (Nu). Even in Brawl, Ally went Captain Falcon against Anther in the grand finals and won.
LMAO Did you really bring up ally going falcon on anther? Anther KNEW he was going to lose so they decided to do falcon vs sonic for a lulzy final match. LOLOLOL. And I'm sorry you don't have the luxury of switching to a character to not do an incredibly pointless, meaningless, and stupid matchup but that's YOUR FAULT FOR NOT HAVING A SECONDARY. You main a low tier character, yoshi can't do it on his own so I'm sorry you don't have a secondary to avoid such a stupid matchup but that's your fault and not mine.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
LMAO Did you really bring up ally going falcon on anther? Anther KNEW he was going to lose so they decided to do falcon vs sonic for a lulzy final match. LOLOLOL. And I'm sorry you don't have the luxury of switching to a character to not do an incredibly pointless, meaningless, and stupid matchup but that's YOUR FAULT FOR NOT HAVING A SECONDARY. You main a low tier character, yoshi can't do it on his own so I'm sorry you don't have a secondary to avoid such a stupid matchup but that's your fault and not mine.
Yoshi doesn't have a single match-up that's worse than 70:30. To say that "he can't do it on his own" is harsh. Tell that to Bwett and ask him why he doesn't pick up a secondary for tournaments like Genesis when he has to go against a G&W like he did. And you still won't answer my question on whether you'd avoid a ditto match altogether in a tournament.

Top Bottom