• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yooka-Laylee joins Brawlout Roster

yookalayleebrawlout.jpg

Recently, Brawlout, made by developer Angry Mob Games announced two things - One, Yooka-Laylee from Playtonic's debut game Yooka-Laylee would be playable, and the second is a release date for the PlayStation 4 - August 21st, 2018. The reveal trailer can be seen below,

Brawlout is available on the Nintendo Switch here and the Steam front page here.

Author's Notes: What are your thoughts? Are you excited for Yooka-Laylee in Brawlout's Roster? Let us know in the comments down below!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

The ultimate alliance between two mediocre IPs to create a game of ultimate mediocrity.

...I'm still salty that Hyper Light Drifter's only appearance in a fighting game is in possibly the worst modern platform fighter.

It would be cool if they heavily revised the game, added three other indie reps and cut all their characters. That would redeem the game, make it seem like a fresh game and give them a lot of hype. This overall makes it feel like a launch of a new game, whilst in reality it is just a major update.

Edit: Fewer characters make it easier to balance. They just had way too many at the start on-top of awesome 3D modelling

Edit: A Binding of Isaac/Axiom Verge fighter and Fez level would make me really try my hardest to get the most fun out of this game. But I think as my message above says it need a somewhat reboot.

Last edited:
I still play it... though character unlocking is a giant pain.
Same for me.

I wasn't expecting another guest character for Brawlout this soon (and especially not Yooka-Laylee, but still welcoming). They look fun but a complaint is their artstyle clashes a little compared with the rest of the game.

Yes, I also have some gruffs with the game, but hopefully their "heavy reworks on both gameplay and the net code" promise on Twitter can help that a bit.

Last edited:
Yes hello, have you ever heard about our Lord and Savior, Slap City?
I think Hat Kid could fit perfectly in that game, just saying.
But actually on topic... neat, I guess? Maybe someone can help me get some clarification on this, but nothing about Brawlout stands out to me. By the sounds of it, it looks like they're trying their best though, so if they do make something great then that's all good.

I have to wonder how some folks find that atrocity slap city as better than this, at least brawlout looks like the developer put some kinda effort into it. Slap city looks like something a kid trying to pass their computer programming class threw together last minute.

I have to wonder how some folks find that atrocity slap city as better than this, at least brawlout looks like the developer put some kinda effort into it. Slap city looks like something a kid trying to pass their computer programming class threw together last minute.
The important word here is "looks". Slap City PLAYS 50x better than Brawlout. Brawlout is slow, clunky, and has all these strange mechanics changes that try to fix what isn't broken, and it all adds up to a very slow, clunky, kinda boring experience. It does look really nice though, I'll give it that.

aaand that's how we can tell you've most likely never actually played either of these two games. Slap City is a fantastic, silly, platform fighter with more polish than Brawlout could even hope to be at a 4th of the price. Don't write it off entirely because of simple aesthetic, or assume Brawlout plays any better because of a higher budget.

I've had more fun with Slap City than any of the other non-Smash platform fighters in recent history, and this is including Rivals of Aether which is also very fantastic.

Last edited:
aaand that's how we can tell you've most likely never actually played either of these two games. Slap City is a fantastic, silly, platform fighter with more polish than Brawlout could even hope to be at a 4th of the price. Don't write it off entirely because of simple aesthetic, or assume Brawlout plays any better because of a higher budget.

I've had more fun with Slap City than any of the other non-Smash platform fighters in recent history, and this is including Rivals of Aether which is also very fantastic.
I've played quite a bit of Rivals, Icons, Brawlout, and Slap City. I understand that Slap City has Wavedashing and Teching so the melee crowd loves it, but as a casual player I absolutely hate the way it feels. I do agree that it plays better than Brawlout, but not better than Rivals or Icons. (Subjectively, based on I've watched a lot of videos on it too where others are praising it, and that's cool that people like it, but I find it really weird to play. A lot of the moves just don't look right to me, and I have to go into practice mode and look at the hit boxes to see where they're hitting to fully understand them.

Slap City has the best variety of stages and modes, BY FAR. And I have to give it a lot of points for that. But if I'm gonna 1v1 someone (Not tourney style, just "No items, you vs me" style) I would much rather play Icons or Rivals. (Rivals is the best imo)

Icons' biggest issue to me is its identity. I wish it felt more unique, and had more substance to it. But when I play games online (if there's a good connection), I know what my character can do, how most of their hitboxes work, and I can deal some damage.

WIth Slap City, I find myself almost constantly confused - "What hit me? Oh that small Axe inturrupts me (Not sure if that's a thing, but it seemed like it) and a lot of the moves just feel... off to me.

I think the creators showed a LOT of creativity with Slap City, so I hope it does well. But I can totally see why other people don't think it's as great. (It also seems more geared towards people in a younger demographic than I am in)

Top Bottom