• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yin and Yang - None of this Vast or Deep ****

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yin and Yang

Overview
This team had interesting beginnings. I don't usually (read: never) formulate teams simply off of pairs of any kind. Being a UU-exclusive player, most of my teams consisted of a central core, most notable the Fire / Water / Grass core along with a couple supporters or sweepers. However, this team was almost pieced togehter in three. The general defensive ability of Nattorei and Burungeru were well-known even before this team came to fruition, and after my successes with Zuruzukin, I turned to a parter in Zapdos. With these four Pokemon working together with great defensive synergy (along with good offensive output). After playtesting what works and what didn't, I concluded - temporarily - with this team of opposite partners. Each pair asserts a unique set of roles and functions very well with the rest of the team.

Selective Dragons

The first pair in the team is simple. I've got two powerful Dragon-types. I'll slap a Choice item on both of them, and simply watch as all hell breaks loose. The theory behind these two is that both Dragon-types hit insanely hard on opposite sides of the spectrum, all the while behind very fast. That said, it's easy for me to juggle between the defensive pairs following later and the offensive monsters I can bring out when I'm in a tight spot to force some switches and start gaining momentum. Furthermore, since they're Dragon-types, they have good synergy with the rest of my team, giving more opportunities to switch-in.

"Gatorade"
Latios @ Choice Specs

Levitate / Timid (+Spd. / -Atk.)
4 HP | 252 Sp. Atk. | 252 Spd.
~ Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Trick
Analysis: I thought I should use Latios while I still have the chance to, seeing as Latios is one of my favorite Uber Pokemon. This is your typical Choice Specs Latios, who has one main function - smash everything with STAB Draco Meteor backed by Choice Specs and his excellent base Sp. Atk. stat. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide great type coverage, but it's a shame Latios can't get Flamethrower because he'd really love to get a jump on those Steel-types. The icing on the set is the moveslot of Trick, which really lets me screw around with lots of opposing Pokemon. For example. with the right prediction, Tyranitar and Nattorei get completely crippled with a Choice Specs, and while some Pokemon like Shandera would enjoy the Choice Specs if they're not already holding one of their own, Trick is used with caution anyway. Trick is a sort of side function from Latios' "destroy everything and everything in my way" motto. I ran maximum Speed to get the most out of Latios' superb base 110 Speed, which allows me to outpace most of the Generation V metagame. Latios not only gives amazing damage output, but because of his Dragon-type he resists a lot - which could arguably be relegated due to his Psychic-type - and his immunity to Ground-types is essential for this synergy-focused team.

Synergy
--> Burungeru, Zapdos
--> Nattorei, Zuruzukin
--> Nattorei
--> Nattorei, Zuruzukin
--> Burungeru

"Black Pepper"
Ononokusu @ Choice Scarf

Mold Breaker / Adamant (+Atk. / -Sp. Atk.)
4 HP | 252 Atk. | 252 Spd.
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Brick Break
~ X-Scissor
Analysis: Ononokusu. The main piece when one hears his name is obviously his ridiculous base 147 Attack. Unfortunately Ononokusu is held back by his base 97 Speed. Choice Scarf attempts to remedy this set. That said, every move tries to help Ononokusu hit as many things (and supereffectively, at that) as possible. Obligatory Dragon-type STAB in Dragon Claw is obligatory, while Earthquake backed by Mold Breaker helps shut down Bronzong and company. Unfortunately - like his buddy Latios - Ononokusu lacks any Fire-type coverage which basically screams for a Skarmory switch-in. Finally, Brick Break and X-Scissor help deal with Nattorei, Skarmory, and Celebi. An Adamant nature seems natural for me on a Choiced Pokemon, but I don't know if Jolly is more considerable since Ononokusu needs as much speed as possible.

Synergy
--> Nattorei
--> Burungeru

Perfect Coverage
What may come as no surprise to people familiar with the Generation V scene, Burungeru and Nattorei are the primary defensive partners on the team. Between them, they literally resist everything except Flying-types. But let's be serious. Flying-type moves? Anyway another great thing about this pair is that Burungeru essentially spinblocks entry hazards that Nattorei sets up, should I choose to run Spikes or the like. In general, this core is a great set to almost any balanced team, and is self-sufficient in dealing out respectable damage as well.

"Pringles"
Burungeru @ Leftovers

Water Absorb / Calm (+Sp. Def. / -Atk.)
252 HP | 4 Def. | 252 Sp. Def.
~ Shadow Ball
~ Boiling Water
~ Toxic
~ Recover
Analysis: So, remember way back during SmashCAP 1 when I proposed a Water / Ghost as our prompt? Well that was shafted in favor of a Water / Ground, but that's beside the point. Burungeru is exactly what I had envisioned a Water / Ghost-type to be, if not more. Burungeru is as bulky as his mustache is hilarious. And my God that is one hilarious mustache. Burungeru carries key immunities to Water-, Normal-, and Fighting-type moves as well as resistances to Fire- and Ice-types, the latter of which plague Latios and Ononokusu. Furthermore, Burungeru has nearly perfect synergy with Nattorei, enabling lots of soft switches. Burungeru carries Toxic to slowly eat away at opposing walls not Steel-typed, while Shadow Ball and Boiling Water are great special STAB. Boiling Water is extremely helpful in working with Burungeru's mediocre base Defense stat. Burungeru also stops Skarmory in that Burungeru can take the Brave Bird / Drill Peck and counter with a Boiling Water or Recover off the damage. The first option is also notable in that if Skarmory gets burned as a result of Boiling Water, Burungeru is basically untoucable until Skarmory Whirlwinds him out.

Synergy
--> Nattorei, Zuruzukin
--> Latios, Ononokusu, Nattorei
--> Nattorei, Zuruzukin
--> Latios, Ononokusu, Nattorei, Zapdos

"Durian"
Nattorei @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
/

Iron Thorns / Relaxed (+Def. / -Sp. Def.)
0 Spd. IV
252 HP | 200 Def. | 56 Sp. Def.
~ Leech Seed
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball
~ Spikes / Stealth Rock
Analysis: Originally a Curse set, this Nattorei tries to deal with everything Burungeru has trouble with. Leech Seed provides some recovery and causes switches, especially since Rapid Spin no longer removes Leech Seed from the field. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are obvious STAB moves, and Gyro Ball loves Nattorei's godly base 20 Speed. Payback or Curse is used in the last slot to "hurt" Shandera. While Payback got a nerf through not doubling in power during switch-ins, a supereffective hit on Shandera from base 94 Attack is no laughing matter, factoring in Shandera's pitiful defense. I might be a little iffy on the EV spread. I wanted to take advantage of Nattorei's impressive Defense, but didn't want to leave his Special Defense untouched. Furthermore, I've considered Rugged Helmet, as with said item Nattorei just becomes a pain to deal with as you're taking so much damage from Iron Thorns and Rugged Helmet damage, not to mention Leech Seed and whatever attack I'm using on it. This also brings an unwanted pitstop against Scizor, as a resisted Bullet Punch means you're taking more damage than you're putting out.

Synergy
--> Latios, Burungeru, Zapdos
--> Latios, Ononokusu, Burungeru

Glued Ziplock
Rounding off this team - the final pair - is something / a core I've been praising for a while, and that's the almighty Zuruzukin and Zapdos. Defensively, their weaknesses are already covered by each other, but having the other teammates ensures a sort of backup to their threats. Offensively, Zapdos has considerable Special Attack to be handing out Thunderbolts while Zuruzukin can take the spotlight at any moment and absolutely turn an opponent's team into dust. For now though, I'll quiet down and let their sets (and subsequent glory) do the talking.

"Animal Crackers"
Zuruzukin @ Leftovers

Shed Skin / Impish (+Def. / -Sp. Atk.)
252 HP | 28 Def. | 228 Sp. Def.
~ Bulk Up
~ Rest
~ Crunch
~ Drain Punch
Analysis: Hello favorite Generation V Pokemon. I've explained this set in the past, but it's worth detailing it again. Maximum HP rounds off his amazing defenses, which are focused on the special side because of Bulk Up and his physically defensive partner Zapdos. That said, Bulk Up is the stat-up move of choice on this Zuruzukin, and for good reason. After two or three Bulk Ups, Zuruzukin becomes ridiculous to play against. The stress is only furthered when Rest activates Shed Skin and offers high chances of waking up after a single turn. After a couple Bulk Ups, or even none, Zuruzukin can dish out damage with his STAB Crunch and Drain Punch. The former was opted over Payback because of the switch-in mechanics, while the latter helps me recover off damage alongside ShedRest. An important attribute of Zuruzukin is that he can in fact, beat Ditto depending on Zuruzukin's HP when Ditto switches in. With enough HP to take a Drain Punch (the only move Ditto would want to use), Zuruzukin counters with a Drain Punch, and since Ditto tends to have higher HP upon switching in you actually end up with more health in the end.

Synergy
--> Burungeru, Zapdos
--> Latios, Burungeru, Zapdos
--> Zapdos

"General Tsao's Chicken"
Zapdos @ Leftovers

Pressure / Bold (+Def. / -Atk.)
248 HP | 240 Def. | 16 Sp. Def.
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Heat Wave
~ Roost
Analysis: Zapdos' partner flourishes taking special hits. Zapdos does the opposite. It's apparent by now, but Zapdos' resistances to Ground-, Fighting-, and Bug-type attacks allow him to draw in more in each match. Once he's in, Thunder Wave cripples target sweepers, while Thunderbolt and Heat Wave are used for STAB and coverage, respectively. Lastly, Roost provides reliable recovery and can be used to outstall opponents with parahax. I'm tempted to try Lightningrod Zapdos, as Zapdos would then gain an extra immunity and the Special Attack raise wouldn't hurt. However, Lightningrod is incompatible with Heat Wave, leaving me helpless against opposite Nattorei unless I choose to run Hidden Power Fire (lol). All in all, Zapdos is an awesome partner for Zuruzukin and works well for the rest of the team providing paralysis support and good special damage output.

Synergy
--> Burungeru
--> Nattorei, Zuruzukin

Team Building Process
Later when I'm not committing suicide over AP Physics B.

So yeah. Please rate, comment, and critique as you wish. This is an RMT thread, after all. Thanks!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Just to mention, if Scizor runs Bug Bite and SD it can beat Nat, and you said Flying type moves are uncommon but pretty much every strong bird like Poke runs Brave Bird.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the only pokes that run flying moves that are threats are togekiss, staraptor, and skarmory

almost nothing else runs flying moves, but zapdos is one of the few pokes who carries SE moves to both pokes

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Just to mention, if Scizor runs Bug Bite and SD it can beat Nat, and you said Flying type moves are uncommon but pretty much every strong bird like Poke runs Brave Bird.
the only pokes that run flying moves that are threats are togekiss, staraptor, and skarmory

almost nothing else runs flying moves, but zapdos is one of the few pokes who carries SE moves to both pokes
Exactly. Flying-types suck and are few and far inbetween, but Zapdos resists Air Slash / Brave Bird and just threatens with STAB Thunderbolt. Even then, I've already stated Burungeru can outlast the typical defensive Skarmory with Boiling Water / Recover.

Also, Flying-types suck.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Be very glad that no one uses Adamant + LO on Doryuuzu. Because if they can bait you into using Dragon Claw with Ononokusu, it's pretty much gg.

And trust me, that's a rather likely scenario.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
we also forgot the flying genie and some pokes use gale now due to all the weather

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Gale's accuracy is only perfect in Rain.
Can't really critique, I'm bad at battling.

But Circa's right, it might be worth using Adamant LO Doryuuzu because it hits so stinking hard.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
balloon doryuuzu is so much better

one SD and you're pretty much OHKOing everything anyways, with balloon, you remove a weakness until your hit

straight up, balloon doryuuzu ***** everything

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I feel like there are better scarfers for this team than your Ononokosu.

I personally think this guy will work better for ya:

Randorosu

Typing: Ground / Flying
Ability: Sand Power: Pokemon's Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-type attacks have their damage boosted in a sandstorm.
Base Stats:
HP: 89
Attack: 125
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 115
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 101

Randorosu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Power
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Outrage / Explosion

This guy is pretty much a stronger, faster, and bulkier Flygon that performs better against sandstorm teams. And it will also give your team another valuable Electric and Earth immunity, as well as another useful Fighting resist for your Nattorei and Derpmon. Your Latios, Burungeru, and Nattorei will cover its Water weakness very well, and Zuruzukin and Burungeru will cover its Ice weakenss like champs, so it has good synergy with this team. One fun fact about this team is if you add Randorosu, 5/6 of your Pokemon (not Burungeru) are nearly immune to Toxic Spikes stall, which is always fun.

So the idea behind this guy is simple. Nearly the same as Flygon. You come in on an attack (its a lot bulkier than your Onono) and then proceed to U-turn the **** out of the opposing team for very useful scouting, which is something this team could use. Then after you've seen enough of your opponent's team, start unleashing havoc with a very strong STAB EQ or Stone Edge. EdgeQuake combo for nearly perfect coverage, and Outrage is mostly a filler that could come in handy if your opponent is saving a... say Salamence, Dragonite, or Kingdra for a sweep. Oh and you'll also outspeed opposing Flygon so that's another Outrage opportunity. Only use Outrage as a last resort. Explosion could be used as another last resort move, but I personally think Outrage could be put to better use since Explosion was nerfed.

/my 2 cents use it if you will I'm just quite bored atm

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Outrage and Explosion are both pretty ****ty moves. Not being resistant to Stealth Rocks is bad for a U-Turn abuser. Not getting STAB on Stone Miss is sort of terrible. Thanks to all of the new Fighting-type Pokémon, Doryuuzu, and Nattorei, it's going to be pretty easy to switch in something to resist a Stone Edge, while far fewer Pokémon resist STAB Outrage.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Stone Miss is terrible w/o stab no arguing with that, but you can't ignore the STAB EQ coming off of a base 125 attack, and if you add Sandstorm into the equation it's going to dent stuff pretty freaking hard. And no resistance to SR is bad news for it but luckily SR isn't quite AS prominent this Gen as it was in Gen 4. (No SR on this team)

Either way I still think both Flygon and Randorosu would do a better job than scarfed Onono.

One other small note is to be very careful with locking yourself into X-Scissor or Brick Break. You're pretty much begging for Shandy to come in.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
we also forgot the flying genie and some pokes use gale now due to all the weather
You also forgot that Gliscors are carrying Acrobat now, and that many Gyarados still run Bounce.

Outrage and Explosion are both pretty ****ty moves. Not being resistant to Stealth Rocks is bad for a U-Turn abuser. Not getting STAB on Stone Miss is sort of terrible. Thanks to all of the new Fighting-type Pokémon, Doryuuzu, and Nattorei, it's going to be pretty easy to switch in something to resist a Stone Edge, while far fewer Pokémon resist STAB Outrage.
He's SR neutral, which is good enough. He doesn't get STAB on Stone Edge but with Sand Power boosting it he basically does.

But yeah, Bulk Up Landlos would be a lot better.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
But if he doesn't have a scarfer then sweepers like LO Terakion could run through this team after one Rock Polish and some entry hazards.

EDIT: Stupid post Terakion still out-speeds scarfed-mons after Rock Polish

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Gale's accuracy is only perfect in Rain.
Can't really critique, I'm bad at battling.

But Circa's right, it might be worth using Adamant LO Doryuuzu because it hits so stinking hard.
I was actually telling him that his entire team loses to it, so he might want to figure out a remedy.

balloon doryuuzu is so much better

one SD and you're pretty much OHKOing everything anyways, with balloon, you remove a weakness until your hit

straight up, balloon doryuuzu ***** everything
I said Adamant + LO in particular because it's the only way to get a clean OHKO with Rock Slide vs his Zapdos (and by clean I mean without hazards). And Balloon Doryuuzu is just more annoying in my experience. I still want to see people test Bullseye Doryuuzu. EQ spam all dai.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I love this team, I really really do. Good Job Tery, you've outdone yourself this time.

There are virtually no flaws with this team on paper, the only basic issue I see is that you say Zuruzukin is Synergy for Ice Types, even though he doesn't resist Ice.. In practice, though, I see a few issues.

Make sure you run Shed Shell on Nattorei. I've fried so many of those who are too thick and run lefties. Also, a better way of dealing with Shandy is to limit how it can switch in. To do this, run Stealth Rock in Natt's last slot. You're going to be forcing a ton of switches anyways with this team, at least have SR up to abuse that and pressure the opponent. Another issue with Nattorei is that it should be running relaxed and a 0 Spe IV for Maximum Gyro Ball Damage. You can deal with Shandy's Fire Blast -> Shadow Ball with Burungeru and take it down with Boiling Water, or have it Switch out and have to come back in with SR damage later (assuming you SR on the switched with Natt), either way, you're getting somewhere.

Ononokusu can afford to run Outrage instead of X-Scissor. Literally the only thing getting hit harder with it is Celebi, and they're rather uncommon and 2HKO'd by Outrage anyways.

On a personal note, I like LO Latios better (which lets you pack HP Fire), but if you're going to be the Average Joe with specs, so be it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There are virtually no flaws with this team on paper, the only basic issue I see is that you say Zuruzukin is Synergy for Ice Types, even though he doesn't resist Ice.. In practice, though, I see a few issues.
Whoops. I'll go fix that.

Make sure you run Shed Shell on Nattorei. I've fried so many of those who are too thick and run lefties. Also, a better way of dealing with Shandy is to limit how it can switch in. To do this, run Stealth Rock in Natt's last slot. You're going to be forcing a ton of switches anyways with this team, at least have SR up to abuse that and pressure the opponent. Another issue with Nattorei is that it should be running relaxed and a 0 Spe IV for Maximum Gyro Ball Damage. You can deal with Shandy's Fire Blast -> Shadow Ball with Burungeru and take it down with Boiling Water, or have it Switch out and have to come back in with SR damage later (assuming you SR on the switched with Natt), either way, you're getting somewhere.
I didn't note the zero Speed IV's but I'll go list that in there. Shed Shell definitely seems more viable since everyone including their mothers are running Shandera, so Stealth Rock in place of Shadow Claw / Payback / Spikes seems much more helpful.

Ononokusu can afford to run Outrage instead of X-Scissor. Literally the only thing getting hit harder with it is Celebi, and they're rather uncommon and 2HKO'd by Outrage anyways.
I'll test it out. But it seems to make sense anyway.

On a personal note, I like LO Latios better (which lets you pack HP Fire), but if you're going to be the Average Joe with specs, so be it.
I've toggled with both Choice Specs and Life Orb and found Specs to be more usable, I guess. If I'm predicting right Nattorei ends up with a Choice Specs, but Hidden Power [Fire] is always a safer option of sorts.

Thanks for the advice so far! I will continue testing all the suggestions.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If you stick with Specs, then Stick with Trick.

Also, remember to change Nat to Relaxed :V

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Ugh. I really want to try out Zapdos and Derpmon. I already have a pretty solid SStall team using Zapdos, Skarm, Buru, forry, Hippowdon, and Dory.

Im thinking about switching Dory out for Derpmon but he does such a good job at late game sweeping. UGH.

Terry ugh. just ugh. Your team makes me jealous! >:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've been starting at this team for like 5 minutes trying to figure out a hole that I could exploit with my main team that I use and I finally found it.

After just one Rock Polish from an Adamant natured LO Terakion, it has a good chance of sweeping this entire team (with SR damage) between STAB Close Combat and Stone Edge. Only thing stopping it from a clean sweep is if both Burungeru and Nattorei were at full health, which would be very unlikely later in the game.

Yeah I know I'm being nit-picky, but a hole is a hole, and it's a pretty large hole.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
More like a really small hole. Terakion can ONLY set-up on Nattorei and -2 Latios, and is taking a chance on trying to threaten a Bulked up Zuruzukin into switching. If you can't set-up, you can't use it to win.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Huh. I just noticed this team has no priority.

Regardless, Nattorei can LO stall Terakion with Leech Seed and switching. Lots of switching.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I was going to also say it could set up on Zapdos but I just realized it has Thunder Wave... Nice

Bottom line... Don't switch out against opposing Terakion. :p

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Y'know what tears through this entire team?

Any scarfer faster than onono.
Most sand staples, especially if they have a choice scarf.
You have no priority and no way to deal with faster pokemon. You also don't have a spinner, so your Zapdos which is key in walling a lot of physical threats will take a lot of damage as they come in to take hits. Because of that I would suggest actually running something that can better handle these offensive threats, like Trick Room Rankurusu.

Rankurusu @ Life Orb/Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
Quiet / Magic Guard

Trick Room
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast/HP Fighting

It has a good special movepool, good power, and it can easily deal with a lot of those faster threats that your team fails to outpace and adequately deal with. Your defensive core is quite slow so it doesn't hurt them very much, and Latios can have fun after TR is no longer in effect. I'd think you should actually replace your Onono with this, as Latios has a lot of predictable walling targets and you need Latios' stallbreaking power. It gives zuruzukin nice switch-in opportunities too, and it can absorb non-sleep status.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Fast Scarfers tend to be either Uber or offensively mediocre. Scarf Dragons are basically the only exception to this rule. Scarf Latios with Dragon Pulse tears through this team after Nattorei is down, but that's true of basically every team out there that doesn't have priority.

Top Bottom