• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link trick: Gun camping

Zarelid

Smash Lord
Originally posted by frotaz37
Assuming that people who play top tier characters only care about winning is just...stupid. Stop being stupid.
sounds like your trying to start something =/ anyways I'm going to respond to this, I did say CHAIN GRABING SHEIKS. when someone wants to win they play sheik and only chain grab in a tournament match (I can understand freindlies and laughing it off) it's just for easy win, thats all it's there for. not to prove you got more skill and such, so you don't try and start stuff with when when I'm not doing anything to you...

frotaz37

Smash Lord
You can't win by only chain grabbing in a tournament. In fact, most the characters you will see in a tournament can't be chain grabbed by Sheik anyway.

Hey, do you by any chance know what somebody has to do in order to get farther in a tournament?

Oh, I do. Win.

Seriously, if somebody is in a tournament, and they see a way to win, they will, because that's what being in a tournament is. Trying to win so you can move on.

And I'm not trying to start something, I'm trying to point out how stupid you're acting.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
oooook not trying to start somethign and your calling me stupid wow really smart I should be calling you stupid but I'm not like that....besides take this "chain throing" topic in the chain grabing thread.

x1372

Smash Ace
I love this tactic. Even if I didn't win with it, it was still the third biggest head turner at midwest massacre 3. (the #1 was kozzy, a 11 year old kid, nearly beating Jv3x3 who ended up taking 3rd at the tournament. The #2 was vidjogamer beating chu dat for the win)

Because of random seeding, I was up against eddie first. Eddie is awesome. His ganondorf is undoubtedly the best in the nation, probably best in the world. And on no less than 4 separate occasions, it has absolutely destroyed my peach.

Well, he won the first match, and it was my counter time. I knew exactly what to do. Corneria. Rush to the guns. Unfortunately, I took a bit of damage getting past him, and in my hurry rushed to the guns anyway. I figured that we have 9 minutes to kill, and that arwings are twice as likely to hit him as they are to hit me.

So we're just chilling. Me with 17% damage, eddie with 10%. Naturally, a crowd starts to form, with people jeering at me. I figure that I'll just wait until he gets shot, then laugh at the people who keep saying that I'm "throwing the game."

Well, the timer got down to 4 minutes. I'm wondering, where the crap are the arwings? Apparently eddie also knew some secret corneria lore - namely, a place near the front where a crouching ganondorf will never get hit by a laser. So I'm FORCED to come up and fight. Luckily, I manage to get by without getting spiked.

So we fight "for real" a bit. He kills me. I kill him. I get a 50% combo for a 5% damage lead. Time to high-tail it back to my camping spot.

With eddie right on my tail, I rushed toward the front of the ship. I knew I was dead the second he got to me. I jumped for the guns... and got blasted.

Yeah, maybe I should have waited until they finished, but I had to go for it or eddie had me.

Eddie won by a stock, but it was still a great game.

So this tactic has some real nice implications for my young link game.

Oh, and I found out afterwards, you can actually attack your opponents when he's in the "safe crouching" spot... but you have to open yourself up to getting blasted if the guns charge to do it. Next time... we'll just have to see how things go.

In conclusion, camp like a ***** and you'll at the very least turn heads.

Vinniek

Smash Cadet
Did you get corneria randomly or pick it? I thought the stage was picked randomly in most tornaments.

Another thought on the "corneria gun stalling"... Have you tried it with other characters? I havent but do you think pichu might be too small to get hit by the gun charges? If it works pichu would be great coz you could use thunder in between charges and mabe catch em off gaurd. And you should try to see it fox's reflector can reflect the charges or ness's down-b can absorb it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Besides, if I'm doing this, I'm playing as YOUNG LINK. I don't know about you, but that's a HUGE handicap to begin with against, well, anyone in the top two tiers (AKA 95% of your tournament opponents). Getting ahead to begin with so that you can even use this trick is a tough battle.
I play with Roy, M2, and Link for the most part, and you won't see me doing that crap. It's one thing to exploit something like an infinite combo, but stalling a match or camping all the time shows only that you don't have the confidence/skill/whatever to actually fight your opponent.

Also, if you truely believe that Young Link is a handicap then why do you play him? I don't get it? I play with Roy because he is my best character, regardless of where he stands on the tier list. I don't know your reasoning behind it, but if you choose to play someone like Young Link you shouldn't use his tier ranking as a crutch.

Sorry if this sounds a little too hostile, I don't mean it like that, but I can't say that I was not a little angered by your post.

x1372

Smash Ace
Originally posted by MookieRah
I play with Roy, M2, and Link for the most part, and you won't see me doing that crap. It's one thing to exploit something like an infinite combo, but stalling a match or camping all the time shows only that you don't have the confidence/skill/whatever to actually fight your opponent.

Also, if you truely believe that Young Link is a handicap then why do you play him? I don't get it? I play with Roy because he is my best character, regardless of where he stands on the tier list. I don't know your reasoning behind it, but if you choose to play someone like Young Link you shouldn't use his tier ranking as a crutch.

Sorry if this sounds a little too hostile, I don't mean it like that, but I can't say that I was not a little angered by your post.
I acknowledge that my character has a harder time getting wins in general than most do. It's a simple fact - young link does not have a whole lot going for him in a fight in this game. His standard game is based solely on his projectiles and a few fast high priority moves to keep his opponents out of his face. In nearly all cases, you're playing a runaway spam game. You require well over the normal 100% for a kill. Conversely, your opponent can often get you killed if he catches you once or twice from your running. The reason I stick with young link is not that I expect him to be able to win every fight, but because he's fun to play.

I sincerely enjoy abusing tricks like this. It severely drops the effect of precision timing and speed and rasies the effect of mind games. There is nothing preventing your opponent from reaching your platform and killing you, except you yourself. If he can't figure out a way to get around you, he loses. Conversely, you have to be prepared for him every time he comes or feints. Against good players, a camping game doesn't win often anyway. Even on the guns, your opponent has many options... these 5 and probably many more.

1) projectiles that can go around/through the ship (ness, pikas, links).

2) projectiles that can hit targets on that platform without you using it yourself

3) high priority and range moves to come from the front

4) up B through the guns or some other recovery move that his priority

5) jump out, attack the guns, go back to the front of the ship. repeat until they break

Honestly, the trick is FAR from overpowered. And being able to effectively deal with your opponents attempts to stop it DOES take skill, albeit more of a mental than technical skill.

As I said, young link doesn't have as many advantages. He has to play better than his opponents to win . Against sheik, it's almost guaranteed to be a hopeless battle regardless, because sheik has so many ways to combo him, keep him where she wants him, and dig through his proejctile stream. Given that young link's four most feared opponents (sheik, peach, falco, and fox) are among the top 5 most used, you're going to have problems using him in a tournament. It's an uphill battle, tiers be ****ed - it's just that the speed and priority of those four is enough to completely throw off young link's game.

It's not a crutch, it's simple logic. If you don't know what you're getting into before a match, you aren't going to win. If you don't use every option available, you aren't giving yourself the best chance you could. If you're playing to win with a weaker character, you need to know and take advantage of every facet of the battle that you can.

The Cape

Smash Master
Exenwyr I have been experimenting with this tactic and I think I have found some interesting things out (such as timing of the gun charging and more people being able to camp there). With your permission I would like to make a tutorial video.

x1372

Smash Ace
Well, I wrote a big thing about it earlier, but might as well say exactly what and how everything worked out for this.

1st victim: Anuj (fox), in a test of making sure I could do it
Situation: Friendly match
Result: Anuj jumped down and took me out first stock. After a few more stock I got a lead, and he died trying to repeat that feat on his last life.

2nd victim: Kozzymoto (jigglypuff) to see the 11-year-old's reaction to it
Situation: Friendly match
Result: Kozzy jumps out and attacks, then goes back. Repeats several times. Destroys the guns before I can kill him, recovers while I fall to my death. I win the match by 1 stock.

3rd victim: Eddie (ganondorf), to test it out in a real match
Situation: Winners bracket 1st round, eddie up 1 match
Result: I got hit once before jumping down. Damage at 10% for eddie and 17% for me. Eddie crouches at the front of the ship while I sit there. Crowd forms. Timer goes from 9 min to 4 with no sign of the arwings. It turns out that eddie knows that this particular spot on the front of the ship will never be attacked by arwings. Seeing no other option, I return to fight the match normally. After a stock, I get a 5% lead on eddie. I rush to the guns with ganondorf close behind. I jump for the guns right as they go off and get blasted to death. Eddie wins the match by a stock as time runs out.

4th victim: Joshu (luigi) as my desperation counter-stage
Situation: Losers bracket 2nd round, joshu up 1 match
Result: Joshu was watching my match with eddie, so I needed a damage lead before trying this trick. Unfortunately, I could never get that damage lead, so I never got to try the trick. Lost the match by 1 stock, knocked out of the tournament.

So the results are inconclusive. Clearly, the trick isn't unstoppable, as even an eleven-year-old came up with a simple and effective counter on the spot. However, if you can get into the correct situation for it... it could be quite deadly.

Also, I learned afterward, that the spot where eddie crouched is not untouchable. You can do a reverse angle boomerang to hit ganondorf there... but he can easily block if he sees it coming, and you have to wait between ship blasts because doing that means coming out of your shield haven.

Exenwyr

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by The Cape
Exenwyr I have been experimenting with this tactic and I think I have found some interesting things out (such as timing of the gun charging and more people being able to camp there). With your permission I would like to make a tutorial video.
Go for it :)

I'm too lazy to work on the timing, but I'm sure that you can memorize where in the level it fires instead of trying to time it each time. (if it really does fire at a fixed point, then you just have to remember what's in the background... If you know that, I bet you could camp with almost anyone

The Cape

Smash Master
Originally posted by Exenwyr
Go for it :)

I'm too lazy to work on the timing, but I'm sure that you can memorize where in the level it fires instead of trying to time it each time. (if it really does fire at a fixed point, then you just have to remember what's in the background... If you know that, I bet you could camp with almost anyone
Currently it seems that the gun fires about every 20 seconds. I am going to look into this more thoughly, but I should know soon. Working on some good camping strats.

Samus, Y. Link, Zelda, Peach, and mewtwo so far

x1372

Smash Ace
It isn't that regular. I tried timing the thing, and at least on my version (the first one) they appear to go off any time between 20 and 40 seconds from the previous time. I tried three 10 minute runs and the times were different in all cases... so if you want to find a way to do something like this for other characters, you have to keep in mind that you WON'T know exactly when they're gonna go off, at least on all versions of the game.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
The day it was posted isnt neccesarilt the day it was found out.

D20

Smash Lord
Did you guys know that if you throw a boomerang, then taunt... the boomerang will cancel your taunt when it returns?

I'm awesome.

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
this, i believe, makes Y link the second most annoying character to play against on cornaria. ness being the first. he camps down at the guns, then just down b's the lasers and gets all of his health back.

Top Bottom