• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
man

ylink is so fun

i think the worst feeling though is dying at low %

tippers are sooooo brutal. it feels worse to get tippered as ylink than it does to get tippered as any other character. oh well just gotta avoid that sheee

rhan

Smash Hero
I only lost a YLink ditto to Jash and Shaeman.

Everyone else can get the diq.

<3

I'll play loads of YLink dittos at Pound.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yeah forreal, for some reason it feels worse with young link than it does with any other character

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
So it is possible to ledge drop pull bomb regrab right? I can do it on 2/3, but not on 1x at all. I guess I'm just not fast enough yet. xD

rhan

Smash Hero
How about you unsubcribe? I mean you don't contribute or anything and you get ***** by me...

Sooooo....

Dueces?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm matchup discussion

lets discuss a matchup

peach lol

she is scary when she floats toward us, i know our main strat is keepaway but.
what are some escape tactics for when she gets near?

i like going to top platforms. i also like nairing, bairing, and z-dropping bombs when i'm near her.

z-dropping bombs = REALLY GOOD. basically a 1 frame aerial, great for escaping or even combo breaking in any matchup. and ylink can do another aerial right after it, or even air dodge or throw another arrow/rang.

rhan

Smash Hero
Peach floating towards us... lmao that's just a boot to the face (Nair). And when she's floating away that's just a slight upward angled boomerang.

Peach you never want on the ground or close to it. You pretty much play the match-up how I would. Top platform is usually the strat I do against everyone. But in this case you always want to be below her. This puts you in a great advantage because non of her aerials are all that good. Nair and Bair are free damage when she's going horizontal with us. But Uair/Dair are our finishers against her. Usually a bomb/boomerang can set up for those (I can't recall %'s at the moment but bomb throw -> dair/uair is auto combo).

Our escape routes for CQC is to bomb drop and jump away. You just never want to be close enough for a grab or a D-Smash. Those will put us in terrible positions and then Peach just sits there watches what we do and follows up from there.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
to your first point: if she fairs or nairs to beat or even trade with our nair

our position can be sooooooo bad :C

ahhh if only ylink's roll was better

but yeah perhaps i should just nair her like u said anyway

Laijin

Smash Hero
Peach floating towards you. She is just BEGGING to have a bomb thrown in her face. Think about it this way. If shes in the air, she can't shield. So ALL your projectiles WILL hit. The only time a peach should ever give you trouble is if shes just exceptionally good OR they are not moving at a Peach-like speed(Example: Xif's playstyle).

So yea, you kick her in the face. But guess what? At lower %s, you can kick her for free like two or three more times in a row(Thats right, Young Link's n-airs link together vs some floaties). For the most part though you're gonna want to run around and throw **** at her all day.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm, thats true laijin

i think vs peach

i should make it a habit to hold onto the bomb until she is in a better position for me to throw it

rather than throwing it and her dodging/catching it and me having to pull out another one

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Just fyi to everyone, Rhan does not win against Crystalnite over 70% if the time.

Also, You guys are lucky your bombs last longer than link's. You have the option to throw it for a longer period of time, which makes you a lot more dangerous. And getting close enough to throw it is a matter of speed. Link's all like, omg, wtf is this... bomb? I hope he approaches close enough to hit him.

Y.Link has to be favored vs Peach... I hope you guys pick up strong secondaries so that you can make it out of pools. Then when you come up against armada or doll, just go Y.link and show everyone that you belong in at least... Mid Tier?

rhan

Smash Hero
Just fyi to everyone, Rhan does not win against Crystalnite over 70% if the time.

Also, You guys are lucky your bombs last longer than link's. You have the option to throw it for a longer period of time, which makes you a lot more dangerous. And getting close enough to throw it is a matter of speed. Link's all like, omg, wtf is this... bomb? I hope he approaches close enough to hit him.

Y.Link has to be favored vs Peach... I hope you guys pick up strong secondaries so that you can make it out of pools. Then when you come up against armada or doll, just go Y.link and show everyone that you belong in at least... Mid Tier?
FYI

I got even with Theo's Peach.

Sooooooooooooooooooo............................................. Get wrecked?

Laijin

Smash Hero

I'm going YL against everyone except Fox, Falcon, Marth, Sheik and Dr. Mario(**** that character).

Laijin

Smash Hero
That match wasn't that bad. You were doing things correctly for the most part, just a few instances where you shouldn't have lost your stock if you had done things differently(I.E. Not approach sometimes. Not Approach with b-air. Landing in front of his shield, etc etc). Overall, not a bad job. If you incorporate more u-air to **** combos and more bomb to **** combos as well, you'll be in better positions next time.

Because of Rhan, I have decided to partially scratch Falcon from my Do No Play list at Pound 5 and play against all the scrub falcons I can find in MMs with my YL.

Top Bottom