• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP 5 -- Figure Drawing 101 (Contest closed! Good luck everyone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Welcome back ladies and gentlemen to our fifth Write With Your Power competition! Sit back, relax and enjoy.

Much time has passed since our last competition, and much has changed. First, you may notice in our updated rules that the new word count is between 1000 and 5000. Second, you may have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of suck in the WWYP room. Yes, that's right; Scav will no longer be judging! However, we still secretly love him and respect what he has to say, so we will be using a new judging rubric designed both by himself and Virgilijus. A new rubric?! YES! You heard right, folks!

After some discussion, we the judges have agreed that categories such as Theme and Characterization and even Spelling and Grammar no longer deserve categories of their own (but are all, of course, still factored into the final score). Instead, we have newcomers Tone and Enjoyment included in our new rubric that make up a total of 20 points: Adherence to Prompt, Tone, Style, and Enjoyment.

Now, on to THE PROMPT (taken from a list here, recommended ages ago by Scav):

Construct a character who is not present. You have many options here: people may talk about this character before meeting him, or after meeting her; you might choose to examine what this character owns, how he or she lives, under what conditions; you might use indirect approaches, like letters or documents that attest to the existence but not presence of the person. How do we know of people? Examine the ways we build characters in our minds and in our social environments before and after we meet them.

Good luck!

The JUDGES for WWYP5 are Virgilijus, Wobbles the Phoenix, and myself.

Adherence to Prompt -5 points
Virgilijus - How interwoven is your story to the guidelines? If the prompt were a genre, could some one read it and instantly know the prompt was fantasy or satire? If they can, you followed it well. If not, you avoided it too much. Also, the prompt should be well utilized: a story that requires a mythical object should use it for all its potential worth, not merely mention it and check it off the list.

Matt - These points should be easy to earn. How well did you engage the guidelines? Did you engage them creatively? Did you engage them with your power? If I ask you to use a gun in your story, will you give me knife? Take risks, but don't disregard our basic expectations.

Tone - 5 pts
Virgilijus - The overall mood of the story; the feeling that you get when you read it. This is made up by the setting, characters, dialogue, and the imagery. Unless it is directed by the prompt, the tone for each story should be different, but they should all impact the reader. A good tone should get the reader immersed in the story, whether or not it is from blissful country sides or horrifying mad men. How real is your story in the readers mind?

Scav - Tone is made up of character (do your characters seem real? do they talk real? are they interesting), setting (Does your story have a sense of place? Of time? Are we always oriented?) and imagery (can we see what's going on?)

Style - 5 pts
Virgilijus - This is what separates your story from others of the same plot. How do you describe people, actions, and places? What rhythm do your words have? How quickly do you move the plot? Style is your paintbrush to show why your painting of little girl is different and more powerful than some one else’s.

Scav - The most technical of the categories. Did you use proper spelling and grammar? Did you try to push the envelope with your sentence structure? Did you construct the plot in a significant manner? This category relies heavily on phrasing and specifics.

Enjoyment - 5 pts
Virgilijus - Enjoyment is the immediate and long lasting appeal of your story. While we were reading it, was it a page turner? After we finished, did we sit and think about the theme or the final scene? Is your story an accomplishment, or just words with a beginning, middle and end?

Matt - An enjoyable story brings plot elements and theme and, frankly, everything listed above together in a way that is both memorable and engaging. We're talking about the WOW factor here, and these types of points aren't easy to earn.

To the judges: using half points is encouraged!

RULES:

* Story must be between 1000-5000 words (penalty for going over or under will be whatever each judge deems fit, taken from Adherence to Prompt)
* Contest begins July 5th and ends one month later (August 5th) at midnight central time.
* No need to sign up! Simply create a new topic with the tagline [WWYP5] in front of it. For example: [WWYP5] - The Story of why Scav Sucks
* You have until the deadline to edit the story as you see fit, but your topic will be locked at midnight on August 5th to prevent last minute changes.
* Profanity is allowed! If you don't know how to censor dodge, pm one of the judges and he'll explain it to you.
* The judges have exactly one week after the contest ends to pick their favorites! Results will be posted by the 12th.
* No plagiarizing, of course. If you do, you may be banned as well as disqualified.
* You can only submit stories that have not already been published and even those that are unpublished. The idea is to write something new!
* One entry allowed per person.
* Judges cannot enter the contest.
* Judges absolutely cannot read or discuss any contest topic (whether amongst themselves or with contestants) until August 12th!
* ABSOLUTELY NO FAN FICS
* Write with your power.

PRIZES:
1st Place -- Custom Title, Custom Avatar, New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name, Judging/prompt rights in the next contest
2nd Place -- Custom Title, New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name
3rd Place -- New Member Group ID (Smash Writer), WWYP Icon below name

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
For a minute there, I thought the actual prompt was 'To Be Continued.'

In no more than 6000 words, and no less than 1000, write a story that doesn't end. The best cliffhanger wins!

Matt

It may very well be the name of the next prompt! Ooh, the anticipation!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
"Daddy, my teacher says that whenever a WWYP contest starts, an angel gets it's wings."

"You're teacher sells crack to orphans son."

Honestly, I couldn't be more excited! The new rubric is simple and efficient. The enjoyment category seems so obvious, that I find myself wondering why we didn't have it in the beginning. I'm guessing tone is the overall feel of the piece, which is also a welcome change to the judging rubric.

I can't think of a more fitting time to start a WWYP than on the day when our Founding Fathers gained their independence........from Scav.........

Happy 4th of July everyone. May the best writer win!!!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I was on the verge of making a 'Scav Sucks' banner for everyone to wear in their signatures befor Scav's uber post.

I kind of still want to make it... just because Scav sucks.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
AH DEMAND TOPIX

OPTIMUS RHYME IS NOT HAPPY

been 12 hours and I ain't seen a theme,
ready to write man I'm so keen,
need a topic to write so I can win this thing,
Writin with my power cause that's my dream,
fightin decepticons just a side job,
rhymin and writin man ps Megatron's a slob.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Lets make this interesting.

Anyone who places higher than me gets a custom avatar :)

Stipulation: only applies if I actually enter.

Matt

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I'm posting from home right now (yay, holidays and family traditions!), and I don't have AIM handy to hammer out the details regarding the categories. I promise them by the end of the day, though!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Eorlingash me again

Like that needs to be stated

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
So does the character have to not be present the whole story or can they show up after being described in their absence?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
McCloud, stop hitting on the English Majors; they're out of your league.

Anyways, that's a very good prompt and I'm really excited about the contest getting underway. So now, contestants, amaze us! :)

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Hey man... I got through Heart of Darkness. And Wit. That counts for something in the literature realm. Besides, English majors love undeclared studies kids... everyone knows that. It's that innocent chaotic charm that makes us so attractive. :)

I have ideas forming already.. glee.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Hmm, I actually have a pretty good idea for this. However, the question is whether I will be able to convert my thoughts onto the paper in an entertaining manner or if I will continue to wallow in my own atrophy, which I feel becoming increasingly harder to break free from. It was hard enough thinking of something that did not reek of previous film or book plots but still involves an engaging twist (or two) which hopefully isn't too easy to see coming. Ah, what a conundrum eh?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Scav's goal:

Put up an entry quickly, then start posting topics on how to beat it.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I have an awesome idea-- if I can actually do a good job translating my jibberish this time, I should at least be in the top 5.

But then again, since when am I good at translating my own thoughts?

I'll aim for top 7. (Tell bad people to enter!)

bluezaft

The True Zaft
So Wobbles, the guy that called Smash Writers gay a few weeks ago, is now a WWYP judge. The irony is crushing the life out of me.

Matt

Can a letter from the character not present be read during the story?
Sure! Don't see why not.

So does the character have to not be present the whole story or can they show up after being described in their absence?
Yeah, they can show up. The exploration of of how we perceive unmet characters before/after is what's most important with this prompt, but there's certainly no penalty for actually revealing the character. In fact, the contrast might earn you points if you're all keen enough.

I like how Virg's name is spelled wrong in the guidelines.
Whoops, was thinking of his AIM name!

So Wobbles, the guy that called Smash Writers gay a few weeks ago, is now a WWYP judge. The irony is crushing the life out of me.
Well, it was started by Scav and me. It doesn't get much gayer than that.

EDIT: I'm gonna make a new sig!

Matt

I should change it if for no other reason than to appear less lazy than Scav.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hey Matt, one of the prizes should be a custom made aluminum purse, complete with rhinestones and love!

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Scav's goal:

Put up an entry quickly, then start posting topics on how to beat it.
Fool! Just as the US used to have mandatory "IQ tests" for voting to keep black people out of polling stations, so too have we devised an invincible mechanism to keep you from entering the contest. We've got a deadline. Now get your shirt off and go back to the cotton fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom