• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wtf Is Up With Returning Stages

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^yea and I **** teh engrish langage to

...no seriously, I don't care about those stages either, I want Peaches' Castle 64 back and Saffron, but this shouldn't be any loss because YOU didn't like it!

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Corneria was great and Hyrule Temple was the most epic stage in Melee, so they deserved a comeback. I played those the most on Melee anyways. The others I never liked much, especially Rainbow Cruise (why not Peach's Castle?)

And Final Destination was the most boring **** EVER. They don't need to bring that stage back when you can recreate it in Stage Builder. Jesus, why are people still whining about it?

Patinator

Smash Champion
yea there bring some really dumb stage back
Well, if no one wants dumb stages, let's not hope for Icicle Mountain.

...And Dream Land 64, lol. :laugh:

And come on, ya gotta admit at least this one thing, SpitFire15: Final D is a Smash Bros. classic! It and Battlefield have been around since the original! Why wouldn't they bring it back, redisigned, like Battlefield!

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
So what is the deal with all the returning stages?

THey seriously havent released one good stage.

FD
Battlefield
FOD
Yoshi's Story

This needs to be discussed!! Why are the crappy levels being brought back?

WHO CARES ABOUT ONETT OR HYRULE????
So you like plan, very boring stages? We already have Battlefield. You can create FInal Destination in Stage Builder...

Really, why such plan levels?

the master of legends

Smash Cadet
I don't mind the idea of bringing past stages back for Brawl. Just gives us more places to fight total. I could do without the old ice climbers stage coming back though...that place kinda sucked lol.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Rainbow Cruise/Ride > Princess' Peaches Castle: Peach's Castle is a camper hellhold, and the bullet bill is a waste of space. Rainbow Ride moves and constantly changes, and I gotta be honest here. It's my favorite Melee-original stage, lol. Seeing it as the last stage....I was excited! :)

Jungle Japes > Kongo Junlge: Both are good stages, though. Espeically WITHOUT THE KLAP TRAP!

Hyrule Temple > Termania: Termania's edges are dumb, and Temple is more popular, but too big. Cut the stage in 4 pieces for goodness sake.

Brinstar > Brinstar Depths: Brinstar had HORRBILE platforms, size (too small), and the lava is crap. Lava is dumb, and no one likes LAVA! Brinstar Depths never happened.

Yoshi's Story > Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story is basic, fun, has great music, and has several intresting twists to make it extremely fun. Yoshi's Island on the other hand, is a waste. Not so good music (those weren't that good of SMB3 and SMW remixes; I thought it was based off Mario Kart 64's second level, lol!), the middle is retarted, the platforms are retarted, walk off stages aren't that good, and that 45 degree curve up is stupid. I've seen all kinds of smash videos on youtube, and I've probably seen Yoshi's Island being played 6 times at most, and Yoshi's Story 100's of times. Ya, I've probably seen over 1,000 smash videos, lol (over 6 years; not that crazy, if you think about it=most were like 5 minutes long). And you can probably NOT MAKE Yoshi's Story with Stage builder, so that sucks. Ever heard of the fans, Sakurai? Ya, you forgot we existed after King Dedede's Special Moves. Took you until Rainbow Ride's return, lol! >_<

Fountain of Dreams > Green Greens: FoD is just epic. Music, looks, and the moving platforms. Basic-yet complex. A GOOD FORMULA! Green Greens is fun (despite explosive blocks), simple yet complex, but doesn't have the same good "feel" of FoD IMO. If torn between the two, chose FoD. Everyone likes it.

Corneria > Venom: Corneria is okay (too big, still), and both have great music. Venom has CRAPPY platforms, and is dead broken with stupidity. I hate that stage, seriously. Aside from the EPIC MUSIC, cool background, etc.

Pokémon Stadium > PokéFloats: Pokémon Stadium is loved by everyone. Pokémon Stadium 2...well...a lot of people who played the Brawl demos HATED IT! Honestly, it may have been the leasst played stage at the E for All demo. PokéFloats is nice, but few like it. I think it's sorta good, and has a intresting formula. It should pass the formula on, though, and fix some of the "issues" with it. Honestly with Pokémon Stadium 2's failure (in lack of original name and stupid transformations), resurrect the original Pokémon Stadium, Sakurai!

Onett > Fourside: Onett is plain awsome, and Foruside isn't too good. Most agree with me here. So ya. >_<

Mute City > Big Blue: Mute City is GOD! My second favorite Melee-original stage, it sure as hell return! *prays for remake or Melee Stages Part 3* Big Blue is horrible, but has a intresting formula. Pass it on, and fix it.

Don't return either Melee Mushroom Kingdoms. They both sucked, and MKII is pure crap. Worst smash stage EVER....after Yoshi's Story 64. >_< Don't return any other stages, other then Final Destination, which shall be remade.

If there are more stages from Melee, the musts are:

-Fountain of Dreams: Nuff' said. Epic!

-Mute City: It's godly. Most people like this stage, and stage builder will NEVER be able to builid this stage. It's a beast!

-Yoshi's Story: Yoshi's Island sucked twice...in smash 64, and Melee. In Brawl it's cool, though (Brawl's Yoshi's Island). Yoshi's Story is always awsome, though!

-Pokémon Stadium: Because we all love it!

-Jungle Japes: Gotta love the music, especially the "smashing...live!" version! Also, it's a unique stage, and has cool water effects. But kill the Klap Trap, or make it a "option".

So ya, just bring back those four, Sakurai. All the other Melee stages either are boring, or suck. The average smash 64 stage blows the average Melee stage out of the water! Ya, bring back Peach's Castle 64, Hyrule Castle (f*** Temple), Dream Land 64, Saffron City, Congo Jungle, and the Metal Mario Stage (redo it, actually). Those 4 Melee stages + those 4 smash 64 stages = PWNAGE! O, and nobody likes Yoshi's Island 64. It's the worst smash stage ever. If I see that again like I did in Melee, I WILL break down and kill something. Seriously. That stage is the root of all evil in this universe.

@ Lemon Drop
Because 3/6 (Zebes: Brinstar, Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island, and Hyrule: Temple) returning stages SUCK, 1 isn't that good (Lylat System: Corneria), and only 2/6 are good (Eagleland: Onett, Mushroom Kindom: Rainbow Cruise/Ride). Sakurai is HORRIBLE at picking returning stages. *points at Yoshi'S Island 64*

susu_atari

Smash Ace
The stages you're requesting can all be recreated in the stages builder.

I mean, do we really NEED Final Destination, when we can create as many perfectly flat stages as we please?

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
If there are more stages from Melee, the musts are:

-Fountain of Dreams: Nuff' said. Epic!

-Mute City: It's godly. Most people like this stage, and stage builder will NEVER be able to builid this stage. It's a beast!

-Yoshi's Story: Yoshi's Island sucked twice...in smash 64, and Melee. In Brawl it's cool, though (Brawl's Yoshi's Island). Yoshi's Story is always awsome, though!

-Pokémon Stadium: Because we all love it!

-Jungle Japes: Gotta love the music, especially the "smashing...live!" version! Also, it's a unique stage, and has cool water effects. But kill the Klap Trap, or make it a "option".

So ya, just bring back those four, Sakurai. All the other Melee stages either are boring, or suck. The average smash 64 stage blows the average Melee stage out of the water! Ya, bring back Peach's Castle 64, Hyrule Castle (f*** Temple), Dream Land 64, Saffron City, Congo Jungle, and the Metal Mario Stage (redo it, actually). Those 4 Melee stages + those 4 smash 64 stages = PWNAGE! O, and nobody likes Yoshi's Island 64. It's the worst smash stage ever. If I see that again like I did in Melee, I WILL break down and kill something. Seriously. That stage is the root of all evil in this universe.

QUOTE]

Great post representing casuals' and competitive's best interests for returning stages. Every stage you want returning, I do too. If FoD doesn't return I will....... I'll be so angry I don't know what I'll do but great post.

Baufius

Smash Rookie
Peach's Castle

Where is peach's Castle? That level was the best 4v4 map because 2 people could fight on each side without worrying about interruption. It was one of the only levels that achieved this for 4v4.

Sanjuinuthus

Smash Apprentice
FD
Battlefield
FOD
Yoshi's Story
Funny you happened to name four of my least favorite stages from SSBM. Seriously, Battlefield IS ALREADY IN THE GAME. FD will most definitely return too; besides it's just a floating platform that you can make in a second with Stage Builder. Yoshi's Story....is a carbon copy of two of the stages you mentioned. -.-

TOURNEY*** ALERT!!! Jk dude, but I think if your stages were a food, it would be gruel...or a water cracker.
Perfect analogy.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
The only stages I like that are returning are Corneria and Hyrule... It's really weird how a lot of stages I did not like are returning.. oh well

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
So, what you're saying, OP, is that they should get rid of all the unique stages that defined Melee, and bring back the generic main platform with 3 platform stages?

I'm sorry, but 99% of the Smash scene is noncompetitive, and I for one would have been angry if every stage that came back was essentially a Battlefield clone, which is what you suggested.

Besides, Yoshi's Story is already in Brawl, it just doesn't have the clouds, but it looks about the same other than that. I'm sure FD will be modified just like Battlefield, and Fountain of Dreams is probably back too, they just haven't announced it.

And, in case you missed it, Battlefield was kinda the first stage they announced.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Dude the only stage worthy of being discussed is Hyrule Temple 64. Bring it back with improved graphics and then we'll talk. ^_^

And also note that people who flip out at Tourney Goers who are looking after their competitive future are just as annoying as they are.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
So, what you're saying, OP, is that they should get rid of all the unique stages that defined Melee, and bring back the generic main platform with 3 platform stages?

I'm sorry, but 99% of the Smash scene is noncompetitive, and I for one would have been angry if every stage that came back was essentially a Battlefield clone, which is what you suggested.
Man, why do people keep pulling all these assumptions out of their ass? All the OP is saying is that his favorite stages have not returned, and that he dislikes the stages that have returned so far. He didn't say anything about competitive smash or the layouts of the stages. So why do people continue to being it up.

Also, a huge LMAO at "but 99% of the Smash scene is noncompetitive" and "the unique stages that defined Melee"

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The stages you're requesting can all be recreated in the stages builder.

I mean, do we really NEED Final Destination, when we can create as many perfectly flat stages as we please?
Can you prove it=??? Exactly! I don't think you can make moving platforms like in FoD, the moving F-Zero race like Mute City (it's basically IMPOSSIBLE to recreate), or the shy guys (I like them in the stage) and single moving platform by the sides with Stage Builder. Basically we know AT MOST 5% about Stage Builder. We don't even know what type of platforms we can make, or what designs, shapes, or colors they come in either. Plus-the Pokémon Stadium (1) transformations are almost IMPOSSIBLE to recreate. So ya-we know as little about Stage Builder as we do about Brawl.

As for Final Destination, it will probably tie into the story, and it's where you fight Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Giga Bowser. It WILL be redone. But ya, Final Destination is OVERRATED! It's not even that balanced (in Melee; it will be in Brawl, with less spam range) to be honest. Face a Falco or Fox versus someone without long-range attacks or fast running speed, and you get my point.

Great post representing casuals' and competitive's best interests for returning stages. Every stage you want returning, I do too. If FoD doesn't return I will....... I'll be so angry I don't know what I'll do but great post.
Casuals and Competitve players alike love diffrent stages. Generally stages that are diffrent from here to there (like Hyrule Castle's gazeebo thing, middle platforms, and left side). That can be anywhere from Mute City and Rainbow Cruise/Ride's ALWAYS CHANGING, Yoshi's Island, Dream Land 64, Peach's Castle (64) and Fountain of Dreams' simple formula-with a advanced and intresting twist. Stuff like that everyone likes. With stages that are camper hell holds (in tournaments) aside, competitve and casual smashers generally like the same stages. But of course, most of us like some stages others (and possibly majorities) may not (in my case, Rainbow Cruise/Ride is my favorite Melee-original stage, and Mute City my second favorite).

Edit: @ Undrdog
QFT. Hyrule Castle PWNS ALL MELEE STAGES!...and Dream Land 64. >_< Seriously, just bring back 6 SSB64 stages, or something (Peach's Castle, Congo Jungle, Hyrule Temple, Dream Land 64, and Saffron City + the Metal Mario Stage), and maybe a few more (as much as possible) Melee stages=WIN! :)

Ya, the average SSB64 stage PWNS the average Melee stage. A lot of the Melee stages felt like beta stages, sadly. Like tests, and a lot of them were stupid. Mushroom Kingdom (wierd design; it was originally suppose to be better), Mushroom Kingdom II (just wierd), Zebes: Brinstar (glitchy platforms), Infinite Glacier (TOO FAST=destroys battle)), Flatzone (just...wierd...and unplayable), Termania: Great Bay (the lack of the gazebbo copy and the turtle was glitchy) Brinstar Depths, Venom, Poké Floats (though that one worked; it just had too much detail to cover, and it didn't cover it), and maybe a few more.

Even Battlefield was a bit glitchy with the edges. Several Melee stages didn't feel very fine tuned...but at least we got new fun moving stages (Rainbow Cruise/Ride and Mute City). :)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Brinstar > Brinstar Depths: Brinstar had HORRIBLE platforms, size (too small), and the lava is crap. Lava is dumb, and no one likes LAVA! Brinstar Depths never happened.
Hello, I'm Warlock*G and I like lava, small platforms and rotating stages. Brinstar Depths happened a lot in my basement during free-for-alls.

SomeguyDom

Smash Cadet

FD
Battlefield
FOD
Yoshi's Story

Actually i didnt think Corneria,Temple,and Onett were crappy...

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
OP, all the stages you mentioned are either the traditional 3 platform 1 floor level, or completely flat. we can make these in the stage builder. I KNOW we can make this in the stage builder because platforms are extremely SIMPLE shapes and blocks so placing them above a floor is NOT that hard.

if it doesnt come back...boo hoo. tough loss, just create it yourself or ask one of your friends, or im sure, even a guy here on smashboards to make it and send it to you. if it does come back, great...stop whining.

we'll all know everything in a week or two. just hang on.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
i like the yoshi stage that has returned and Corneria and Hyrule, i play them once in a while

but i want Great Bay to return really bad and Saffron city from the 64

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule Temple is my favorite stage of all time. Followed closely by Hyrule Castle (from the Nintendo 64). Hyrule Stages FTW.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
i dont think the ones we got are to bad...there the more intresting ones from melee

and i liked corneria and temple

and we have battlefield just remade

and im sure the same will be with fd

Arawanach

Smash Apprentice

FD
Battlefield
FOD
Yoshi's Story

Battlefield has been there a long time... it's just updated... so I don't think they will make two battlefields...

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
i dunno why people are complaining about no returning final destination since most likly there will be a new one

Zelda92

Smash Cadet
I don't think it hurts the game to add previously added levels. I loved the Hyrule castle level.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
There's no such thing as a bad Smash stage. All of them are creative, capable and easily played on. Whether or not you like the stage is a different story. You're entitled to your opinion, but you can't go mouthing off that there's something wrong with everyone else just because they don't agree with you.

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
We got some of the more interesting levels. I loved Temple, Corneria and Onnett. Much better then the standard big platform, three little platforms and the slight variants you listed. And Battlefield? We have a better version already. Liekly the same will happen for FD. FoD should return alright, but why waste a returning stage space on a boring standard stage? Melee had lots of unsusal and interesting stages, bring as many of those back as they can, I say.

The only one i don't like returning is Brinstar, simply because it's almost exactly the same as Norfair.

Arawanach

Smash Apprentice
Norfair seams more dangerous... the stage builder will provide us with stages that we coudn't imagine... and you can once a day try someone else's stage... that will be awesome... but still... some are classics

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
All the stages are great, new and old ones. I loved Hyrule as it was so different like mini melee on the bottom platform was fun. The battlefield types stages are fun if you want a game just for skill or something and they can be fun but the other stages differences make them all fun. I personally like stages that look cool, or are different which is most.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Hyrule and Corneria are like the best stages in Melee. You're not very open-minded..

I hope they bring back Fourside, Saffron City, and Pokefloats..

The Protagonist

Smash Cadet
I definitely want to see some 64 Smash (graphically revamped) stages make a return

Saffron City and Hyrule Temple specifically. I'd also like some songs to make return. I LOVED the Character Select and Master Hand's theme in 64.

Top Bottom