• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTCA: A Super Smash Bros Melee Charity Tournament

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
AYYOGURL! WHERE THE CHARITY AT?

WTCA is a charity Tournament in Shaker Heights, Ohio.

Plymouth Church (UCC) has generously given us permission to use their facility for our first Super Smash Bros Melee tournament.

LOCATION: Plymouth Church, 2860 Coventry Road, Shaker Heights, Ohio

OUR GOALS:
1. Raise money for the Cleveland Food Bank
2. Promote the Melee scene in the Cleveland Area
3. Provide an Enjoyable Tournament Experience

Charity donations will go to the Cleveland Food Bank. To learn more about them, visit their Website

Even though this is a charity event, THERE WILL STILL BE PAYOUTS!

Entry Fees:
Mandatory Charity Donation $5
Singles Bracket Entry $5
Doubles Bracket Entry (per team) $10

All money from the Bracket Entry Fees will be divided among the winners of the event.
In the event that not enough Teams enter for us to successfully run the Doubles bracket, all teams will receive a refund for their doubles entry fee.

There will be designated Friendly setups. You are not required to enter either bracket should you choose not to.

OUR PAY OUT STRUCTURE:
1st place 60%
2nd place 25%
3rd place 15%

RULES:
Double Elimination
-4 stock
-8 minutes
-Items set to OFF
-No Wobbling or Blizzobbling
-No Stalling
-DSR
-Gentlemen's Clause
-Double Blind or Neutral start may be elected by a player
-First stage will be selected through the Stage Strike method
-Pausing will result in forfeit of the match (unless for a legitimate reason)
-Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

SINGLES:
Regular Sets are best of 3 (each player allowed 1 stage ban)
Winners and Losers finals are best of 5 (no stage bans)
Grand Finals will be best of 7 (no stage bans)

There will be 2-4 pools (depending on the turnout), each will have 6-8 players. Top 4 advance. The bracket will either be an 8 man bracket, a 12 man bracket, or a 16 man bracket (all depending on turnout).

Neutral Stages:

BattleField
Final Destination
DreamLand
Yoshi's Story
Fountain Of Dreams

Counter Pick:

Pokemon Stadium

DOUBLES:

Regular Sets will be best of 3 (each team allowed 1 stage ban)
ALL finals will be best of 5 (no stage bans)

-Team Attack: ON.
-Life Stealing is allowed.
-If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit.

Neutral Stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
DreamLand
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counter Pick:

Kongo Jungle 64

WE WILL BE SELLING FOOD AT THE VENUE!
All profits from food will go to the Cleveland Food Bank

WAIVED FEES:
If you bring a complete setup (CRT TV, GC/Wii, Copy of Melee) and we use it, you will be entered into the singles event for free! (you still must pay your $5 entry fee though, as this goes to charity).
I would advise you to show up early if you plan on bringing a set up, because if we get all 10 setups that we need, we will not waive you fee :(

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR DIRECTIONS:
You can PM me, Aesir, on this site
OR
Leave a comment here or on our Facebook Event

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Cleveland: go to this cuz right now im apparently the best here. prove me wrong

Dart!

Smash Master
these charity events in far out places never get enough hype. i'm not going unless some good people go though. plus a bigger turnout.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
it does need hype... something about churches makes people not want to attend (I tend to not want to go to church tourneys myself)

but the venue was free, so I took it. That way I don't have to have super high entry fees, but I do lose the big turnout I could get if I got a legitimate venue.

However, the cleveland smash scene, while they may not be very good, is kinda hyped for this lol. Looks like I'll get about 20-30 from cleveland alone. Not sure how many will actually enter the bracket though :\

I'm hoping at least some of the good Ohio players will show up ^^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yea... I'm glad it isn't affecting to many good players, but I'd have liked it to been open to all ages :\

4% are you considering showing up?
I know that Skyson said he may go (number 10 on the NEOH power ranking thing)... right now it looks like Skyson and Ralis will be the best two going, unless more people show up, which would be awesome.

Skyson

Smash Ace
yea... I'm glad it isn't affecting to many good players, but I'd have liked it to been open to all ages :\

I know that Skyson said he may go (number 10 on the NEOH power ranking thing)... right now it looks like Skyson and Ralis will be the best two going, unless more people show up, which would be awesome.

Everything about this post is hilarious.

The power rankings thing is hilarious.

Me being one of the best people going is hilarious.

People, come to this. I know there's some other people in the Cleveland area who could make it to this. I'll have to bother them another time. STEEEEEEEEEEEEVE. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOAP. DIPPINDOOOOOOOOOOTS. etc. <:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Dippindots is up here? I thought he was out a little further...
w/e, If any good people show up I will be happy.

4% APR

Smash Champion

I'm probably gonna be here yeah. People need to come out and support our scene. (cough kitty and pat cough)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I updated the ruleset, this will probably be our final ruleset, so If anybody sees anything wrong with it, please let me know ^^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
oh wazzup Tacoman :D
and yey, people are actually going to show up ^^

this is my first time organizing a tournament, so if anybody has any advice on how I could make this as enjoyable as possible, please let me know.

Excision

Smash Rookie
oh wazzup Tacoman :D
and yey, people are actually going to show up ^^

this is my first time organizing a tournament, so if anybody has any advice on how I could make this as enjoyable as possible, please let me know.
Strippers

preferably in cakes

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol@ralis.

also, idk if there even will be punch, so yea...
Maybe we could have a punch bowl?
I'll see if we can get punch. It won't be spiked though. Alcohol and smash (in a tournament environment) don't really mix :p

Dobs

Smash Journeyman
Sooooo, I've been itching to get back into melee and this is way too close not to go. Do you need people to bring setups? I have a TV and cube I could bring if needed.

Also, is there a Cleveland melee scene nowadays? I probably need to shake some rust off before this.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
@ Dobs: just like 3/4 dudes and another dude from canton

@Columbus: go to this. its only fair since we went down there *coughabutylerparadigmachilles*

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
We may have enough setups already, you are welcome to bring your own if you are ok with that, right now we have 6-7 full setups, we're trying to get at least 10.

If we don't get 10 setups by january, I'll let you guys know.

If you bring a setup that we use in the actual tournament, we will waive your fee (for the bracket, charity thing is mandatory).

Top Bottom