• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writing a report. Need research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averross

Smash Rookie
Hello SWF. This is my first, and probably only time here. I'm writing a research paper for college about Fanboyism and wanted to ask something. I read the ED page about SWF a while back and saw that a good number of the userbase here likes to play with a narrow range of characters/stages with no items. I'm perfectly cool with that. But my question is this: why would it matter to you if other people play with items turned on or with "low-tier" characters.

Just for reference, I usually play with all items (unless somebody wants them turned off) and Link is my best character. I dabble with other characters like Snake and Captain Falcon. I'd ask everyone here to keep it civil, but I want your raw opinions. Don't hold back.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Personally, I could care less if other people want to play with items and low-tier characters. Let em do what they please.

In competitive play however, Low-tier characters won't get you very far, it's a pretty serious handicap.

Items just typically aren't accepted for competitive play based on the degree to which they alter skill involved.

We don't try to force people to play certain ways, but if you intend to play competitively, don't expect tournaments to be hosted with items.

Just my two cents.

inb4debatewaronitems

Limeee

Smash Champion
does not belong in the tactical discussion, but then again if you post in GBD (awful section IMO) you'll get spammed by noobs

IMO whether others use items or not doesn't bug me, unless its in a competetive environment
then it doesn't belong

tho item tourneys would be intersting

Averross

Smash Rookie
I've played in two college tournaments, neither of which used items, and I've made it to the semi-finals and finals with Link. So, I wouldn't go around saying that "low tier" characters won't go far.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I've played in two college tournaments, neither of which used items, and I've made it to the semi-finals and finals with Link. So, I wouldn't go around saying that "low tier" characters won't go far.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

If you care, you can take a look at the data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

Point is, at the highest level, playing a low-tier character (or anyone other than MK, for that matter) is handicapping yourself. Doesn't mean you can't win, but it makes it a lot harder.

I can probably beat a bunch of randoms with my Link, doesn't mean my Link would get me first at a big tournament.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter to me if you play a bad character, I'll time you out in tourney all the same (if you're playing him in tourney).

It honestly only gets on my nerves if people try to john about their character being low tier.

Playing low tier doesn't usually get you any more respect from me (unless you're like really freaken good and can play at a high level with those bad characters (like seeing people like X come to SoCal with freaken Sonic and taking games off Tyrant, or beating players like MikeHAZE... that's impressive)).

And I love items friendlies. I usually have items friendlies at every tourney I go to. Non serious matches with items are super fun :p

I don't think anyone cares if you play a trash character, honestly.

And just because Link can do well in a scrubby tournament doesn't mean Link is a good character at high level.

Tiers really only apply to high levels. Sure if there are a bunch of crappy players together a Link might be able to do well, but with people who know how to abuse his weaknesses, he doesn't stand a chance.

Averross

Smash Rookie
Really? Because I suck with Metaknight. What it comes down to is what character you're good with. Link may have bad recovery, but I'm better with him than any other character. For me, playing as someone else is a handicap. Playing as Metaknight will end up with me flying off the stage. >_<

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh that's entirely true. I'm not saying playing a high tier character automatically makes you better. Skill is independent from your character.

Think of it this way: If you're in a gunfight, your character is your weapon.

Link is a BB gun.

Meta-knight is a dual function sniper-rifle/shotgun with thermal scope.

You might win with Link, but you've gotta be WAY more skilled than the other person.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I play characters strictly based on which ones are my favorites, regardless of their tier. Pokemon Trainer was low tier for a while, but he's not anymore; Bowser, on the other hand, is upper low tier. Winning with an inferior character is a great challenge, and on top of that, you get a great feeling upon winning with said inferior character.

But for me it's always been about which characters are my favorite out of the cast.

Averross

Smash Rookie
Oh that's entirely true. I'm not saying playing a high tier character automatically makes you better. Skill is independent from your character.

Think of it this way: If you're in a gunfight, your character is your weapon.

Link is a BB gun.

Meta-knight is a dual function sniper-rifle/shotgun with thermal scope.

You might win with Link, but you've gotta be WAY more skilled than the other person.
I get your analogy, but it doesn't quite work. The way you put it, it seems like Meta-Knight is superior to Link in every way. But Link has an advantage that Meta-Knight lacks: ranged combat. Part of the reason why Link is my favorite character is because I've mastered the Hero's Bow. I can hit **** near anything with it because I know how to arc it. Believe it or not, but the bow (and downward stab) was won me many a match.

Besides, I'm better with SMG's anyway.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You do, however, neglect to account for the fact that MK has no trouble getting to Link, forcing him off the stage, and preventing you from recovering. Link has too many character flaws for the match-up to even be close.

Link's bow is not going to win you any matches by itself. MK can still beat Link in more than enough ways for it to be even close to fair.

Averross

Smash Rookie
I never said the bow would win a match on its own, only that it was a deciding factor. I'm not a pro-Link zealot or anything. I've tried all the characters before ultimately deciding that Link meshes better with me than any other character.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I understand that. Personally, I like playing Link a lot, but he's just not capable of competing at the highest level, so I play Marth, who I am also quite comfortable with.

Play who you're most comfortable with, but it definitely helps if they're high tier. :)

Averross

Smash Rookie
I think even if I practiced with "high tier" characters, I'd still win with Link.

This isn't quite the kind of research I wanted. I was hoping at least one person would go bat****. *sigh* Back to 4chan...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You came in here EXPECTING a flame war? Hahaha.

You want that, go ask GameFAQS/GameSpot. :p

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
He's writing a paper about fanboys. He's just trying to find a way to write us off as crazy idiots who know only emotions related to our game of choice and choose to spend our time playing smash exclusively and yelling at everyone who is either ignorant or dislikes our game.

Thats what it seems like anyway.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You are a terrible person for playing smash with items and you should feel terrible.

amidoinitrite?

Toby.

Smash Master
Well, given the things I've read, specifically about Dylan Tnga (Sort of NSFW), I thought I could run into somebody like him.
We're not nearly as crazy as you seem to be expecting. Whilst I think many of us would strongly disagree on your opinions regarding tiers and the validity of your favorite, link, it's hardly something we're going to go crazy about. This is partially because your viewpoint is the one shared by the vast majority of players before they actually learned about the game and the way it works.

Moral of the story is, we're not crazed fanatics...so please make sure your report reflects the truth and not something you've distorted to sound more interesting :)

Flayl

Smash Hero
The report was just a front and this thread further confirms my opinion of people who frequent 4chan.

Kith

Smash Ace
We're not nearly as crazy as you seem to be expecting. Whilst I think many of us would strongly disagree on your opinions regarding tiers and the validity of your favorite, link, it's hardly something we're going to go crazy about. This is partially because your viewpoint is the one shared by the vast majority of players before they actually learned about the game and the way it works.

Moral of the story is, we're not crazed fanatics...so please make sure your report reflects the truth and not something you've distorted to sound more interesting :)
I have a feeling this is more of a persuasive essay than a research paper for him. He's got his conclusion, he just needs evidence to support it :-\

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. The guy obviously came here with melevolent intent. It's unfortunate that people like Dylan Tnga have created stereotypes about video game players/professionals that make us all look like obsessed crazy people.

I don't find it entertaining in the least that Averross came here trying to incite someone into anger just so he could go back to his college and report us as pathetic individuals. Unfortunately, I don't see much of a chance that the report will reflect our cool collected responses, and instead will contort what has been said into the ramblings of a group of cultists.

Truely saddening....

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Good job Raziek! Way to keep your cool :-P
Thanks. xD

Easiest way to train at dealing with trolls: ACTUALLY go to the gamefaqs boards and participate in a tier debate. You will get trolled so hard, it gives you nerves of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom