• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you support per-player input buffering?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Remember that you've only got 3 frames of buffer, and pretty much any attack has more than 3 frames of hitstun, so this would not actually change with the buffer.

To be honest, the buffer is so short that the only situation I can see where you could press a button, have something unexpected happen, then have an input come out immediately is when you fall off a platform, because you can act immediately in this case. Pretty much anywhere else you'll be stuck in shieldstun or hitstun.

So really I don't see the buffer having much impact besides making some ATs a bit easier to perform.

It's also worth noting that loads of other fighting games if not the majority have some degree of input buffering. Marvel vs Capcom 3 has a fairly substantial buffer, for example, and it hasn't stopped it from being the most popular fighting game on the market.
Its built around the buffer, dude. That game is all momentum off a single hit, and all the defense is played around the anticipation of the hit. Therefore, buffering really doesn't matter in that game. Goddamnit why am I posting in this junk still.

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
maybe instead of arguing here, you should just go into training mode or something and practice your tech skill. I'm sure with the amount of time spent writing responses to this thread, you'd be able to wavedash by now.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
This thread isn't that funny anymore, I'm about to abandon this place as well.

We are not getting buffers or wave dash buttons or whatever else you want. The game isn't that hard, practice makes perfect. If you don't want to put in the time to learn tech skill, than go play brawl (this isn't meant to jab at brawl in any way). brawl is really only the mental aspect. A lot of this game involves capitalizing on your opponents mistakes, if it is not a mechanical mistake than it is a mental one. People will always be mistakes. That's just how it works. But that is ok because this game thrives off of mistakes.

LEARN HOW TO WAVEDASH. It has a pretty big window that you should be hitting consistently, if you miss that than it is all on you, it is not the games fault for being "too hard," it is your fault for being not good enough.

If you haven't noticed, a lot of people actually like tech skill, we think that it adds its own layer of depth separate from the mental aspect. We like a little challenge, and if a newer player doesn't have the drive to overcome these physical challenges they will never have the drive to overcome the mental ones. And you can disagree with our views on tech skill, but no one is on your side. Have you ever stopped to consider that you might actually be wrong? You have really fought to the death on this one but it is futile at this point, you haven't changed anyone's minds and I doubt you will.

I made this for a reason
http://smashboards.com/threads/advanced-techs-are-hurting-this-game-and-need-to-be-removed.352908/

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
The saddest part is that you don't even need to really put in a lot of time in training mode or anything to learn how to wavedash. I don't have a CRT so I don't practice tech skill alone. I learned how to wavedash by just doing it in between stocks whenever I played someone.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The saddest part is that you don't even need to really put in a lot of time in training mode or anything to learn how to wavedash. I don't have a CRT so I don't practice tech skill alone. I learned how to wavedash by just doing it in between stocks whenever I played someone.
The saddest part is the people who don't realize that this thread isn't about my specific ability to wavedash. As noted, I can choose to play with the input buffer on, and I don't go to tournaments, so this change wouldn't affect me. It's more about the development of the scene as a whole.

If you haven't noticed, a lot of people actually like tech skill, we think that it adds its own layer of depth separate from the mental aspect. We like a little challenge, and if a newer player doesn't have the drive to overcome these physical challenges they will never have the drive to overcome the mental ones.
If you like the challenge of learning these techs, why would you suddenly feel like all the time you put in was a waste if the buffer option becomes available? I thought you enjoyed the time you spent practicing up your tech skill?

And you can disagree with our views on tech skill, but no one is on your side. Have you ever stopped to consider that you might actually be wrong? You have really fought to the death on this one but it is futile at this point, you haven't changed anyone's minds and I doubt you will.
There's already been several people who were okay with the idea or at least thought it was worth testing out. Just because you complain the loudest doesn't make you "everyone".

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
If you don't go to tournaments at all, why are you so sure that your ideas are what's best for what is primarily a competitive scene? The people of the competitive community have responded and the answer has been a resounding no. Please, stop acting so knowledgeable about something that you, self-admittedly, are completely removed from.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If you don't go to tournaments at all, why are you so sure that your ideas are what's best for what is primarily a competitive scene? The people of the competitive community have responded and the answer has been a resounding no. Please, stop acting so knowledgeable about something that you, self-admittedly, are completely removed from.
Because sometimes the people on the inside are too used to things the way they are to see the greater picture. You know what's a good way to ensure the size of your community never grows? Ignore the opinions of everyone who isn't already a part of it.

While I may not attend Smash tournaments, I have played a ton of fighting games and other competitive games as well, which is how I can see that the argument that execution barriers are needed for a game to be competitive is total nonsense.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
If you like the challenge of learning these techs, why would you suddenly feel like all the time you put in was a waste if the buffer option becomes available? I thought you enjoyed the time you spent practicing up your tech skill?
Because its unfair when others can obtain you level of skill with half of the time and effort, and it is even more unfair if someone can post on smashboards and get universal buffers for everyone just because they are to bad/lazy to put in the work everyone else did. I like the idea of players having to meet a certain standards to have optimal play, most competitive things have it. And I like the technical standard as it is now.

There's already been several people who were okay with the idea or at least thought it was worth testing out. Just because you complain the loudest doesn't make you "everyone".
Please, "everyone" is an exaggeration, I meant to say "almost everyone." Is that better? I bet it makes your ideas much more likable.

And complaining would be more along the lines of making an entire thread on smashboards about lowering execution requirements due to lack of skill.

As noted, I can choose to play with the input buffer on, and I don't go to tournaments, so this change wouldn't affect me. It's more about the development of the scene as a whole.
You don't go to tournaments? Dear lord here I am actually taking you seriously. You go through all of this trouble talking about the professional level of the game, and you go to the tier list thread writing paragraphs about game balance and you've never actually been to a tournament.

Yep it's official, I'm done with this thread and I'm done talking to you.

Peace

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Jesus, I realized why I stopped posting in here. It's an endless vortex of dumb. Abandoning thread.
And yet somehow you don't realize that the people who are just strawmanning and not actually responding to any of the ideas that are put forth are the cause of that?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Because its unfair when others can obtain you level of skill with half of the time and effort, and it is even more unfair if someone can post on smashboards and get universal buffers for everyone just because they are to bad/lazy to put in the work everyone else did. I like the idea of players having to meet a certain standards to have optimal play, most competitive things have it. And I like the technical standard as it is now.
So it's basically what I thought. You don't really enjoy learning the technical side, you just did it because you felt like you had to and you don't want that requirement to be removed because then you'd have wasted your time. I can sympathize, but if the game had the buffer from the start you wouldn't have had to waste your time like that.

And incidentally, most competitive games don't have it. This is part of the problem with only listening to people from within the community. Execution barriers are pretty much just Fighting Games and RTS and that's about it. Not coincidentally, these genres are much more niche than lower execution competitive games like FPS and Racing.

Smash Bros is actually one of the most popular fighters, again because its execution requirement is low. However, trying to exclude people from Project M by removing the accessibility options that Brawl added will hurt its overall appeal to some degree.

And complaining would be more along the lines of making an entire thread on smashboards about lowering execution requirements due to lack of skill.
You were really proud of the fact that you made a whole topic complaining about my topic, so what does that make you?

You don't go to tournaments? Dear lord here I am actually taking you seriously. You go through all of this trouble talking about the professional level of the game, and you go to the tier list thread writing paragraphs about game balance and you've never actually been to a tournament.
It doesn't make a lot of difference honestly. I'm sure I could show up at some random weekly and get like 20th. My opinions wouldn't suddenly become any more credible for it, and neither do yours by virtue of you going to tournaments.

Unless you're on the level of Mew2King and other top players, the best contribution you can offer to any discussion of game mechanics is the information you can gleam from watching high-level match videos, which you can do right from the comfort of your own home.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
What if I told you...
that wavedashing is one of the easiest advanced techniques in the game?
I'd ask you to read the thread first.

The buffer also affects Dacus, shine cancelling, and some other techs as well, fyi.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
It's an endless vortex because you won't give any ground, and don't ever accept the validity of what anyone else says. You are in the minority, and you've proven that you don't have the credibility to even argue this anymore.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
It doesn't make a lot of difference honestly. I'm sure I could show up at some random weekly and get like 20th.
20th out of 20, mm me scrub.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
And at the end of the day, this thread will succeed in changing nothing, not even anybody's minds, about the state of the game, but only will make people dislike Terotrous for being argumentative and obnoxious. Which I guess is okay, since he doesn't go to tournaments, that nobody should particularly like him.

THE END

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What if I told you...
that wavedashing is one of the easiest advanced techniques in the game?
/thread

Needs lock
Request #Lock

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's an endless vortex because you won't give any ground, and don't ever accept the validity of what anyone else says. You are in the minority, and you've proven that you don't have the credibility to even argue this anymore.
Lol keep telling yourself that. I've responded to every sensible argument anyone has made here. You should also probably look in the mirror and see who the real people who won't accept any ground or reconsider their positions to any degree are.

And at the end of the day, this thread will succeed in changing nothing, not even anybody's minds, about the state of the game, but only will make people dislike Terotrous for being argumentative and obnoxious. Which I guess is okay, since he doesn't go to tournaments, that nobody should particularly like him.

THE END
Maybe by a handful of people who don't really contribute to any thread on the forum so it's not a big loss. Anyone who gets upset that people post reasoned opinions about stuff isn't really worth talking to.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Lol keep telling yourself that. I've responded to every sensible argument anyone has made here. You should also probably look in the mirror and see who the real people who won't accept any ground or reconsider their positions to any degree are.
As have I provided counter-arguments to all of yours. I gave you a little ground right from the get go and said it wasn't an inherently bad idea, suitable as a casual option. I just believe it has no place in tournament play, and would ultimately be detrimental to the game. At this point it's devolved to just arguing about preference, and the majority of people prefer no buffer. You can't make everyone suddenly start liking your idea by sheer determination.

What I want to know is why you care so damn much. You have stated that you don't attend tournaments, and you have the options of playing with the buffer on in friendlies, so what's the big deal? If you care about the state of the meta-game then you should at least respect the opinions of those who participate in it.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
As have I provided counter-arguments to all of yours. I gave you a little ground right from the get go and said it wasn't an inherently bad idea, suitable as a casual option. I just believe it has no place in tournament play, and would ultimately be detrimental to the game.
I still don't see the case for it being detrimental, which is what the entire argument rests upon.

You also seemed to get stuck in the discrepancy between "the tech skill is not hard to learn" and "the complexity of tech skill is rewarding and vital to competitive play". It can't be both, if the tech skill is so easy to learn that everyone can do it with a tiny amount of practice then turning on the buffer is pretty trivial. I think it's fairly obvious that the tech skill isn't that easy to learn (wavedashing might not be super hard, but things like Dacus and Multishining are a lot harder). But then the question of whether or not turning on the buffer to make the game more accessible and draw more people in / elevate the level of play is a valid one.

What I want to know is why you care so damn much. You have stated that you don't attend tournaments, and you have the options of playing with the buffer on in friendlies, so what's the big deal? If you care about the state of the meta-game then you should at least respect the opinions of those who participate in it.
Mostly because the response to this topic has been so polarizing. If everyone just posted well-thought out responses we'd probably have reached a conclusion in a couple pages (probably that it could have some upsides but would need extensive testing before it could be allowed in a competitive environment or something). But the fact that people are so invested in this issue that they feel the need to spam every day and try their hardest to convince people that the discussion has no merit clearly proves that this discussion is actually pretty important.

You can also bet that for everyone who is strongly against reducing the execution in the game there's someone who's strongly for it (which is exactly why those who are opposed to it are trying so hard to convince everyone that these people don't exist or don't matter).

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
People have been posting thought out responses. What the **** do you think the past 8 pages were for? Are you intentionally this condescending to any opposing arguments just so you can keep dragging it out? I mean, the fact that you assume everything you have said so far is well-reasoned (even though multiple poorly constructed analogies and comparisons have been made throughout your argument) shows you have absolutely zero consideration for the quality of the discussion with the only interest being shoving your ideas down everyone's throat. It shouldn't even remotely be a surprise that so many people in this thread are pissed at you.

And you say that it wouldn't make a difference without having actually experienced the tournament scene and you say you would perform well despite having never been put under the pressure of performing well under tournament settings.Sorry to break it to you, but yes you do need a strong understanding of the game at a tournament level to be making serious tournament level-altering proposals like this.

This thread was done a while back. There's nothing else to discuss.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
People have been posting thought out responses. What the **** do you think the past 8 pages were for?
A few people have, but there's been at least three solid pages of "wavedashing is easy tho", "abandon thread", Drinkingfood's daily spam, and other such nonsense.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I still don't see the case for it being detrimental, which is what the entire argument rests upon.

You also seemed to get stuck in the discrepancy between "the tech skill is not hard to learn" and "the complexity of tech skill is rewarding and vital to competitive play". It can't be both, if the tech skill is so easy to learn that everyone can do it with a tiny amount of practice then turning on the buffer is pretty trivial. I think it's fairly obvious that the tech skill isn't that easy to learn (wavedashing might not be super hard, but things like Dacus and Multishining are a lot harder). But then the question of whether or not turning on the buffer to make the game more accessible and draw more people in / elevate the level of play is a valid one.
First off, don't assume I speak for everyone, or vice versa. I'm not going to sift through all of the pages and find the reasons it would be detrimental for you, they are there and it's your responsibility to read them rather than write them off. And as I said before, even if the buffer drew in more players, there's a serious possibility that it would turn away more than that. The people who are invested in the game are invested in it for a reason. If someone really wanted to play the game competitively, I seriously doubt the lack of an arbitrary buffer would stop them. It would, however, stop some people who already play and enjoy the game from doing so, specifically the Melee crowd, which is a huge part of our playerbase.

Mostly because the response to this topic has been so polarizing. If everyone just posted well-thought out responses we'd probably have reached a conclusion in a couple pages (probably that it could have some upsides but would need extensive testing before it could be allowed in a competitive environment or something). But the fact that people are so invested in this issue that they feel the need to spam every day and try their hardest to convince people that the discussion has no merit clearly proves that this discussion is actually pretty important.

You can also bet that for everyone who is strongly against reducing the execution in the game there's someone who's strongly for it (which is exactly why those who are opposed to it are trying so hard to convince everyone that these people don't exist or don't matter).
Almost everyone has logically argued against your points, it's asinine to ignore that. If there are really that many people who agree with you where are they? As far as I can see, I'm like your 2nd biggest supporter behind @ Thor Thor , and I pretty vehemently disagree with this fundamentally.

La_Popo

Smash Rookie
Your original question was, "Would you support per player input buffering".
The answer has been a resounding no, as technical know how is a part of this game that no one in the competitive community wants to be removed.
Plz stahp dis.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
And you say that it wouldn't make a difference without having actually experienced the tournament scene and you say you would perform well despite having never been put under the pressure of performing well under tournament settings.
Uh, I don't know why you're assuming I've never played any other game competitively. The effect of execution barriers on this game isn't significantly different from any other game. In every game that has an execution requirement, people make the exact same argument: "The execution barrier is a necessary risk / reward element because in a tense situation you need to have the presence of mind to execute properly." And for every game, the people making that argument are equally ignorant of the existence of other games that lack that execution barrier and how the necessity of remaining calm and not panicking applies to those games just as much. This is why I encourage people to play me at Divekick, for example, so you can see how nerves can still be an issue when you only have 2 buttons to press.

Sorry to break it to you, but yes you do need a strong understanding of the game at a tournament level to be making serious tournament level-altering proposals like this.
So where are the people using that knowledge to explain why this would not work?

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
First off, don't assume I speak for everyone, or vice versa. I'm not going to sift through all of the pages and find the reasons it would be detrimental for you, they are there and it's your responsibility to read them rather than write them off. And as I said before, even if the buffer drew in more players, there's a serious possibility that it would turn away more than that. The people who are invested in the game are invested in it for a reason. If someone really wanted to play the game competitively, I seriously doubt the lack of an arbitrary buffer would stop them. It would, however, stop some people who already play and enjoy the game from doing so, specifically the Melee crowd, which is a huge part of our playerbase.
Again, where's the evidence for this? The only thing anyone has suggested was to note that people didn't like Brawl, but all of the complaints about Brawl were either about the removal of combos or the terrible balance. No one ever complained about the fact that Brawl had an input buffer.

This is another one of those points that people just ignored because it was inconvenient for their argument.

Almost everyone has logically argued against your points, it's asinine to ignore that. If there are really that many people who agree with you where are they? As far as I can see, I'm like your 2nd biggest supporter behind @ Thor Thor , and I pretty vehemently disagree with this fundamentally.
You are fine, like I said before if I've been responding to you your posts are probably worth reading. But no it hasn't been almost everyone. Besides you there's also been Teneban, Lordling, Saito, and a couple others, and that's about it. Incidentally I'm not going to name all "good posters", if you made a serious effort to contribute you probably did.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Again, where's the evidence for this? The only thing anyone has suggested was to note that people didn't like Brawl, but all of the complaints about Brawl were either about the removal of combos or the terrible balance. No one ever complained about the fact that Brawl had an input buffer.

This is another one of those points that people just ignored because it was inconvenient for their argument.

You are fine, like I said before if I've been responding to you your posts are probably worth reading. But no it hasn't been almost everyone. Besides you there's also been Teneban, Saito, and a couple others, and that's about it.
Post me a list of points and I'll post you a list of counter-points.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I don't know. I'd be up for trying it out, and would definitely love to see how pro level players do with it on. Changes to universal mechanics are the absolute hardest to get through, and you would definitely need a majority opinion for it to even be considered.

Consider asking around on more places than just smashboards, and make sure to clearly define input buffering with a clear example (i.e., character with a 6 frame jump squat, you can hit the shield button on frame 3 (or 4?) to get an airdodge out for a wavedash). You should definitely make this thread a poll, unless it's too late.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Post me a list of points and I'll post you a list of counter-points.
Sure, I'll summarize:

As a series, Smash Bros is generally pretty accessible. It does not lack depth, however, it just focuses on more fundamental concepts like spacing, reactions, situational awareness, and mindgames rather than execution skill.

Over time, however, a number of advanced techniques were discovered that introduced some degree of an executional barrier to the game. This created a divide in the community, with some players disliking those techniques and considering them to be unfair, while others enjoying them and believing they increased the depth of the game by giving characters more options.

When Brawl came out, the development team decided to remove these techniques to put everyone on more or less the same level. This change was met with mixed reception and split the Smash Bros community. Some liked the more mind-game and spacing-oriented Brawl, while others felt that Melee had a lot more depth and the loss of the techniques was a detriment to the game.

Unlike most people here, I believe both sides have some validity. I think a reasonable compromise is to keep the techniques but make them easier to do. This way, the added options granted by the techniques is retained and no one can complain that they take focus away from the spacing or the mindgames.

There are various ways we could go about doing this, but the simplest to implement (while also still being effective) is an input buffer. The game already has one, because it was present in Brawl, but right now it's limited to a global option that everyone is forced to use if is turned on. Some people don't like the buffer, so this generally results in no one getting to use it. Allowing each player to choose individually whether to use it or not seems much more sensible.

There is some concern that the buffer might allow some additional, unintended techniques, which would make it objectively stronger to have the buffer than not to. However, the buffer is only 3 frames, so there are some things that you simply can't do with it. For example, you can't buffer in a conditional response to an opponent's attack, because pretty much any hit will have more than 3 frames of hit or shieldstun, so your buffered input will just be lost before you can act. The buffer window is so short that its only real use is to make the timing windows on some techniques a little easier.

There is also a segment who believes that the value of the advanced techniques lies not in their strategic applications, but the fact that they make the game less accessible. I'll admit, I don't believe this stance has much merit. All that is achieved through making the game less accessible is that we reduce the number of people who are able to enjoy the competitive side of the game. This results in a smaller overall community, which in turn causes the metagame to evolve at a slower rate.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Sure, I'll summarize:

As a series, Smash Bros is generally pretty accessible. It does not lack depth, however, it just focuses on more fundamental concepts like spacing, reactions, situational awareness, and mindgames rather than execution skill.

Over time, however, a number of advanced techniques were discovered that introduced some degree of an executional barrier to the game. This created a divide in the community, with some players disliking those techniques and considering them to be unfair, while others enjoying them and believing they increased the depth of the game by giving characters more options.
I believe pretty much all invested PM players fall in the camp of the latter.

There is some concern that the buffer might allow some additional, unintended techniques, which would make it objectively stronger to have the buffer than not to. However, the buffer is only 3 frames, so there are some things that you simply can't do with it. For example, you can't buffer in a conditional response to an opponent's attack, because pretty much any hit will have more than 3 frames of hit or shieldstun, so your buffered input will just be lost before you can act. The buffer window is so short that its only real use is to make the timing windows on some techniques a little easier.
3 frames may not be a lot at first glance, but when we're at a level of complexity where each frame matters, I could see it making a huge difference. Especially since people would be able to consistently perform and chain super high-level techniques almost 100% of the time. This makes those techniques thoroughly unimpressive and potentially de-balances the game. Admittedly, it could be better balanced around these techniques being consistently performable, but that's a lot of effort for a change most aren't in favor of. You argue that the excitement factor is negated by how lame it is for a match to end in an SD, but I disagree. I would rather have strong moments, weak moments, and something to aspire to, versus a more moderated spectrum of performance.

There is also a segment who believes that the value of the advanced techniques lies not in their strategic applications, but the fact that they make the game less accessible. I'll admit, I don't believe this stance has much merit. All that is achieved through making the game less accessible is that we reduce the number of people who are able to enjoy the competitive side of the game. This results in a smaller overall community, which in turn causes the metagame to evolve at a slower rate.
I don't think many people actually want the game to be less accessible, I know I don't. It's more that you take away the sense of accomplishment by making the techniques easier, which could potentially make people lose interest without a next step to aspire for. Accessibility isn't really a factor, because most who want to play at a higher level with advanced techniques will do so regardless of a buffer existing or not. Those at an entry level wouldn't notice the difference. And like I said, I firmly believe that we would lose more players from the buffer than we would gain. I generally believe that we should always strive for something better, but in this case "don't fix what isn't broken" actually applies. People like the game as is, and a change that fundamental would potentially drive people away. Even if it's just "because Melee".

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I believe pretty much all invested PM players fall in the camp of the latter.
Perhaps most, but PM's playerbase isn't the entire Smash playerbase yet, it could still get bigger.

3 frames may not be a lot at first glance, but when we're at a level of complexity where each frame matters, I could see it making a huge difference. Especially since people would be able to consistently perform and chain super high-level techniques almost 100% of the time. This makes those techniques thoroughly unimpressive and potentially de-balances the game. Admittedly, it could be better balanced around these techniques being consistently performable, but that's a lot of effort for a change most aren't in favor of.
It seems like the game is currently based around the assumption that high level players can L-cancel, wavedash, waveland, and dacus with near-perfect consistency. The techniques that might be an issue are double jump cancel and multi / waveshine. I do believe however that if those moves are potentially broken when performed perfectly, they should be adjusted anyway, relying on execution barriers for balance typically creates problems eventually as some players master those techniques.

Also, for the last point, note that execution and reaction barriers are not the same. Execution barriers are ones involving a sequence of consistent button presses that is initiated by the player. Reaction barriers are button presses in response to an opponent's action. Reaction barriers are left untouched by the buffer.

You argue that the excitement factor is negated by how lame it is for a match to end in an SD, but I disagree. I would rather have strong moments, weak moments, and something to aspire to, versus a more moderated spectrum of performance.
It's definitely a misconception that you can't have strong and weak moments without execution. Players can and will makes mistakes with their spacing, make poor decisions regarding their offensive choices, and make high-risk plays that will or won't pay off. Just look at Brawl, it's an execution-light game and yet there's still a spectrum of performance there.

I don't think many people actually want the game to be less accessible, I know I don't. It's more that you take away the sense of accomplishment by making the techniques easier, which could potentially make people lose interest without a next step to aspire for.
There's always a next step, even Mew2King and Dr. Peepee are continuing to get better. If anything, removing the execution barriers just makes the next step a little bit more clear. Rather than having to tighten up your inputs by an imperceptible amount, you need to learn the matchups and strategies of strong players better to be able to overcome them. The fact that your losses will largely be based on poor choices that you made rather than executional errors will also help with this, it makes it easier to see where you went wrong and improve.

Accessibility isn't really a factor, because most who want to play at a higher level with advanced techniques will do so regardless of a buffer existing or not. Those at an entry level wouldn't notice the difference. And like I said, I firmly believe that we would lose more players from the buffer than we would gain. I generally believe that we should always strive for something better, but in this case "don't fix what isn't broken" actually applies. People like the game as is, and a change that fundamental would potentially drive people away. Even if it's just "because Melee".
I honestly don't believe many people would quit. Would you quit? Can anyone in this thread honestly say that they would quit? Do you believe people like Mew2King would quit?

If anything, I think the change would make the community stronger by raising the global level of play and allowing more people to experience the competitive depth of the game.

And besides, if we're seriously worried people would quit, we could always just release the change in a really sneaky way, like "hey guys, here's two new characters, Skull Kid and Sami. Oh, and also there's an optional buffer now". No one is going to quit until they try out the new characters, and that should be long enough for them to see that the buffer really isn't a gamebreaking addition.

Chevy

Smash Ace
It seems like the game is currently based around the assumption that high level players can L-cancel, wavedash, waveland, and dacus with near-perfect consistency. The techniques that might be an issue are double jump cancel and multi / waveshine. I do believe however that if those moves are potentially broken when performed perfectly, they should be adjusted anyway, relying on execution barriers for balance typically creates problems eventually as some players master those techniques.

Also, for the last point, note that execution and reaction barriers are not the same. Execution barriers are ones involving a sequence of consistent button presses that is initiated by the player. Reaction barriers are button presses in response to an opponent's action. Reaction barriers are left untouched by the buffer.
Like I said, it's been like 14 years. If someone was going to master them and have them on command 100% of the time, it would have happened by now. I think it's perfectly reasonable to balance around human ability. Also I never claimed it would help reaction times.

It's definitely a misconception that you can't have strong and weak moments without execution. Players can and will makes mistakes with their spacing, make poor decisions regarding their offensive choices, and make high-risk plays that will or won't pay off. Just look at Brawl, it's an execution-light game and yet there's still a spectrum of performance there.
I've watched approximately 3 competitive Brawl sets. It was a lot of turnip throwing, Meta-Knight poking people, and then a lot of running away until the timer ran out. It was horrendously boring. I'm sure that this isn't the standard(at least I hope not) but taking out potential execution flubs only helps to lead to a less punish-heavy game. And I'm not saying that there is isn't room for excitement without execution, just that there is inherently less because of one less evident force acting on the outcome of the game.

There's always a next step, even Mew2King and Dr. Peepee are continuing to get better. If anything, removing the execution barriers just makes the next step a little bit more clear. Rather than having to tighten up your inputs by an imperceptible amount, you need to learn the matchups and strategies of strong players better to be able to overcome them. The fact that your losses will largely be based on poor choices that you made rather than executional errors will also help with this, it makes it easier to see where you went wrong and improve.
Delayed gratification. If something is easy to do, it's not satisfying to accomplish. It's a very visceral feeling when you master certain ATs and it feels good. I have a friend who was excited about learning to short hop the other day. Taking that away detracts a lot from the learning experience in my opinion. And having a tight window on your inputs is going to be important regardless of whether there's an input buffer to help you wavedash, etc. So it's something you should learn anyway.

I honestly don't believe many people would quit. Would you quit? Can anyone in this thread honestly say that they would quit? Do you believe people like Mew2King would quit?
I believe that Melee players who play PM as a side would potentially quit. A lot of people are very devoted to Melee, and they play PM because it's such a good translation. They don't have to use this hypothetical buffer, but it would certainly cause some to feel as if they are on an uneven playing field, detracting total interest. I would probably not quit, but I wouldn't use the buffer, and it would lower my opinion of the game a bit. Mew2King wouldn't quit because he makes money off of the game and probably enjoys it. I doubt the buffer would put anyone on his level that isn't already there anyway, so it probably wouldn't affect him or most other top players. Some would take issue though, and be vocal about it.

If anything, I think the change would make the community stronger by raising the global level of play and allowing more people to experience the competitive depth of the game.
I don't think it would have much of an effect on the global level of play. I know you're sick of hearing it, but it's not hard to wavedash. The applications of these techniques are what is difficult to learn, and the buffer would do nothing for that. The biggest step in advancement is still outplaying your opponent, plain and simple.

And besides, if we're seriously worried people would quit, we could always just release the change in a really sneaky way, like "hey guys, here's two new characters, Skull Kid and Sami. Oh, and also there's an optional buffer now". No one is going to quit until they try out the new characters, and that should be long enough for them to see that the buffer really isn't a gamebreaking addition.
I don't think it's gamebreaking, I just feel it takes away some of the skill, accomplishment, and excitement of competitive play. Leading to an overall more shallow experience.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
The argument watered down to its most simplistic form.

One side thinks that the technical barriers are fine where they are now, the other side (basically just Terotrous) thinks that they should be lowered.

One side thinks that the technical barriers add a layer of depth, and Terotrous thinks that they don't.

Did i get it right?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Like I said, it's been like 14 years. If someone was going to master them and have them on command 100% of the time, it would have happened by now.
Amsa Yoshi is pretty much an instant counterexample. Yoshi's DJCs have been in the game forever, but this year was the first time anyone really made Yoshi look totally viable. People are now drastically rethinking some matchup charts in this 14-year old game.

Alternatively, check out, say, Apex 2012 vids. That's still 12 years in, and yet the level of play is still noticeably better now.

I've watched approximately 3 competitive Brawl sets. It was a lot of turnip throwing, Meta-Knight poking people, and then a lot of running away until the timer ran out. It was horrendously boring. I'm sure that this isn't the standard(at least I hope not) but taking out potential execution flubs only helps to lead to a less punish-heavy game. And I'm not saying that there is isn't room for excitement without execution, just that there is inherently less because of one less evident force acting on the outcome of the game.
I will agree that I find PM more interesting to watch than Brawl, but that's just because there's more viable characters and play styles. The biggest issue with Brawl is that the lack of combos means the balance is shifted pretty heavily towards defense, resulting in a very methodical, slower-paced game. PM restores the combos, so even without the execution barrier it's a much more explosive game.

Delayed gratification. If something is easy to do, it's not satisfying to accomplish. It's a very visceral feeling when you master certain ATs and it feels good. I have a friend who was excited about learning to short hop the other day. Taking that away detracts a lot from the learning experience in my opinion.
Beating someone at the mental game is also super satisfying. When you know someone is going to make a certain play, then they do and you counter it perfectly and win, you feel like a total genius. IMO, it's actually much more satisfying to beat someone this way then because they made a mistake.

Of course, when you lose in a similar fashion, you feel like a total idiot, because you did something dumb and they saw it coming a mile away. But I feel that makes you want to get right back in there in a way that losing because your inputs weren't quite on point does not.

This is really one of those places where more people need to try Divekick, because every Divekick player knows exactly what I'm talking about here. I've played a ton of fighting games, and Divekick is easily the most satisfying one. Making a certain opening play in the first four rounds, then doing the reverse on the 5th round where they get flustered and try to anticipate it? I defy you to find better satisfaction.

I believe that Melee players who play PM as a side would potentially quit.
It's possible, but people say this about every change that PM makes (we can't change Melee character X, all the Melee players will quit!) and yet the game only seems to be getting more popular all the time. I'm sure there are a few players who basically just play PM because the Melee tournament is over and there's nothing better to do, but there's also a lot of people who genuinely like the game for the new things it brings to the table.

I don't think it would have much of an effect on the global level of play.
If not than people's fears that it would make their hard work trivial are unfounded. However, I do think it would result in a noticeable boost in mid and high level play. Remember, wavedashing isn't the only affected technique, Dacus, jump cancels, and OOS will also become more consistent in the lower levels.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Amsa Yoshi is pretty much an instant counterexample. Yoshi's DJCs have been in the game forever, but this year was the first time anyone really made Yoshi look totally viable. People are now drastically rethinking some matchup charts in this 14-year old game.
Yoshi hasn't been considered viable, so no-one has played him. And of course people are improving, but that's different than raw, technical prowess. Show me a Fox who can infinitely multi-shine in a tournament match and I'll agree.

It's possible, but people say this about every change that PM makes (we can't change Melee character X, all the Melee players will quit!) and yet the game only seems to be getting more popular all the time. I'm sure there are a few players who basically just play PM because the Melee tournament is over and there's nothing better to do, but there's also a lot of people who genuinely like the game for the new things it brings to the table.
I'm not saying everyone would quit, just that the (probably)minor influx would probably be overwritten by the (probably)minor outflux.

Everything else you brought up is just opinion and speculation at this point, as a lot of this has been for most of the thread. You think it makes the game more accessible, fun, and better from a viewer's perspective. Almost everyone else thinks it makes it less satisfying, too easy, less exciting, and takes away a physical part of the game that they enjoy, and (at least I) more boring from an informed viewer's perspective. Unless you can somehow provide hard evidence that this idea is worthwhile, we're stuck with opinions, and you are still in the minority. So unless you bring up something worthwhile to discuss, I'm done.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Yoshi hasn't been considered viable, so no-one has played him. And of course people are improving, but that's different than raw, technical prowess. Show me a Fox who can infinitely multi-shine in a tournament match and I'll agree.
You're not going to find someone just sitting there and multishining the whole time because that's not super useful, at best you might see someone showing off multishines before a match, similar to C.Viper players in SF4 doing like a million feints in a row (incidentally, that's a fairly similar kind of motion).

I'm sure you could find a few videos of Foxes using the technique to good effect in a real match.

Everything else you brought up is just opinion and speculation at this point, as a lot of this has been for most of the thread. You think it makes the game more accessible, fun, and better from a viewer's perspective. Almost everyone else thinks it makes it less satisfying, too easy, less exciting, and takes away a physical part of the game that they enjoy, and (at least I) more boring from an informed viewer's perspective. Unless you can somehow provide hard evidence that this idea is worthwhile, we're stuck with opinions, and you are still in the minority. So unless you bring up something worthwhile to discuss, I'm done.
It's not baseless speculation, though, because there are plenty of examples of other low-execution games which are still very competitive. IMO, the part that lacks support is the hypothesis the hypothesis that a large portion of this game's audience plays this game for the technical challenge rather than its other unique features, particularly because there's not a ton of overlap between the Smash community and other fighting games.

Thor

Smash Champion
Chevy said:
Lol I don't even support him that much. I just find it amusing people want to test it (a lot of stuff Terotrous has said is nonsensical or been rebuffed already, though he's been unfairly flamed at least once so I defended him). I honestly don't care either way [especially after your long post with good explanations], I just happen to look like a huge supporter because everyone else hates this idea so much XD.

Also I'm pretty sure Paradoxium has it right.

@Terotorus Nobody plays the game for the technical challenge over its unique features. But I don't honestly believe people will pick the game up because there is a 3 frame buffer, so I'm not sure how this actually adds to the population playing the game [I only just realized this is (from my point of view) a non sequitor, unless you want to enthymeme out your logic (i.e point A, point B, therefore point C, and point C here is "more people will play the game" (and you may need to lay out the logic behind points A and B as well))].

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
After listening to booth sides of this argument for quite a while, I think neither really has a distinct advantage over the other. In the end it's our personal preferences that determines what ATs we like and are okay with their execution barriers. I for one really enjoy learning how to apply these techniques into my game, and on many occasions make mistakes when doing so, be it an execution error or just a bad play. And you know what, I'm okay with that. I've dealt with far worse (aka connecting with multiple 1 Frame links) and learning how to WD only took me 10-20 minutes at most. Obviously they weren't perfect but whatever, I was just starting out. I knew with time I'd eventually become more proficient.

To be honest, I don't think I'd end up using this input buffer even though it might end up helping me. It kinda feels like cheating the system in a sense, and I'm sure if I recommended it to my friends they'd think it was like some sort of handicap and also refuse to use it.

I wouldn't be opposed to it being implemented though, but only under the condition that it would be illegal in tournaments. As Terotrous said, the buffer is already there it just effects everyone across the board if turned on. Why not give players more options and allow it to be turned on for specific ports or name tags? The only reason I could see this never happening though is because the PMBR have far more important things to be doing with their time.

Top Bottom