• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would the ability to glide with the cape have been a good Mario feature?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I put this in my blog awhile ago. Some Mario users liked it. As a new Mario user, I think it would have been good, and can be used in the next game, should it ever be made.

Mario's recovery got super gimped when he lost the tornado spin. Some think FLUDD should be removed and replaced, but I think it should stay. After all, who doesn't love the satisfaction of making a premature KO with a non-damaging move? It has it's uses.
What should become a new recovery is the cape, and not by repeatedly pressing the side B (unless you want to for reflectrion.) You should be able to hold B when in midair, and if you hold it long enough, Mario does the famous cape glide, which he can also use Up-B or an attack from, but can't use the cape again till he lands. Such a move may give him an advantage among his fierce opponents.

opinions?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
His recovery is good enough, especially with Brawl's engine. New features are always neat but the game's already out, so whatever. We could hypothetically think of all these other tricks they could have added (heck he had tons of forms in Mario 3) but we're not going to get much out of this discussion in the end.

Matt07

Smash Master
Nah, I personally think Mario good the way he is. Also Mario is meant to be a jack of all trades/not too good or not to bad skills for a character, and giving him a super good recovery would well...not make him even =P.

Although that is a good idea, it'll be one that'll just stay in Super Mario World.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
If you wanted to give Mario a recovery boost without compromising the rest of his moveset, just give him a third jump like his Luma spin in SMG.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
People still think Mario's recovery got gimped in Brawl...?

I know right?

Anyone who thinks Mario's recovery got worse in Brawl clearly didn't use Mario in Melee.
Highly agreed.

People, we're heading to the 11th month of brawl and yet you complain of his recovery. The rest of his entire moveset completely make up for it, and make him a character as a whole. Is it that hard to go through your small brains?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Seeing as the Glide physics were ripped straight from Super Mario World, I was a little disturbed that Mario didn't have it when I first started playing. I got over it, but I do wish he had one from time to time. His Glide attack would of been the meteor cape smash for sure.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Seeing as the Glide physics were ripped straight from Super Mario World, I was a little disturbed that Mario didn't have it when I first started playing. I got over it, but I do wish he had one from time to time. His Glide attack would of been the meteor cape smash for sure.
Mario already has cape glide to Fair lol.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
idk, I don't really see the benefits of having the glide on stage. I like it the way it is right now, but I guess I'm open to change

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
idk, I don't really see the benefits of having the glide on stage. I like it the way it is right now, but I guess I'm open to change
Because Mario can't normally go out that far to edgeguard, plus it's quick; the max distance for the cape glide is crazy.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Because Mario can't normally go out that far to edgeguard, plus it's quick; the max distance for the cape glide is crazy.
True, I guess it gets rid of the timing issue with getting the glide off the edge to be consistent.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
True, I guess it gets rid of the timing issue with getting the glide off the edge to be consistent.
Oh, are you talking about that capedashing thing? It's good for extra mobility on stages with platforms; Famous is really good at abusing it.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Title is misleading... I thought this was about 'Capegliding'

anyway, to the topic at hand:
I'm perfectly fine with Mario's recovery as it is now, it suits his playstyle well. His recovery was not gimped, to me at least, and giving him a better recovery, like Matt07 said, it would throw off his entire 'average' character feel, which I like.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think he should be an average character other than his recovery, getting to platforms was the point of his games. Anyway, the fact that Mario has a cape, but can't glide with it and FLUDD, but can't switch to Hover Nozzel is really weird.

forestflower

Smash Cadet
huh oh im in imagination land having tea with link
i find that mario's recovery is just find it would be cool but the way i use mario it wouldnt fit my playstyle.
either i dont like change or i just really like marios recovery how it is
though try to spam the cape when versing luigi in the air my friend goes nuts because it flips all of his ariel atttacks

Top Bottom