• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would King DDD still be high tier without chain grabs?

yamas11

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying that King DDD doesn't have any other moves that are great, but I know that his chain grab plays a nice mind game on players to have them stay away from you and it's also one of his best damage racking moves. If King DDD didn't have a chain grab, would he still be as high in tournaments?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Falco, Marth, DDD, GnW, Ice Climbers.
All are in High or Top.

I suppose it makes a difference, but I'm sure they wouldn't go down too much

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
He would be pretty high even without the CG, I mean, I can win matches without it pretty easily, it just makes things a WHOLE lot easier. DK might be a threat though if we couldn't infinite him, he has 4 ways to spike people >.>

Excellence

Smash Champion
I would have to disagree. King Dedede's chaingrabs are definately a huge part of his gameplay. It's not all he can do, but, once he CGs it's what you do from there that makes the DDD. I think he'd probably drop to higher-mid tier.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I think he'd still be up there, just not necessarily as high. He still has tech chasing with his down throw, he still has his sick pivots, still has WoP's, etc.

D1

Banned via Administration
I'm fightin MK and I can't CG him...

...behold.

=======================

D1 (DDD) vs. HAB (Olimar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic4Ok9k96-c&feature=related

----------------------------------

$5 Dollar MM Set

D1 (DDD) vs. Rockin (MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aFu9W5H3Ls

D1 (DDD) vs. Rockin (MK)2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6TjwXKvHE

=======================

Just in case u guys never heard about me, I'm one of NY's top players amongst Bum, PC, and NinjaLink...and I'm a Falco main that CPs DDD at times.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
He would probably be low-high tier. I don't see how someone can survive without his chain grabs.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Falco is top tier, with or without the CG...

Dedede is different, I think. Due to the fact, that he can infinite certain characters, he pwns them by default (lol DK). With this gone his match-up's will be a tad worse

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
He would be pretty high even without the CG, I mean, I can win matches without it pretty easily, it just makes things a WHOLE lot easier. DK might be a threat though if we couldn't infinite him, he has 4 ways to spike people >.>
I thought it was 3...

>B
fair
dair

am I missing one or are you counting the cargo stage spike?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He would probably drop one tier.

He still has an amazing shieldgrab and throws that do over 10%. His edgeguarding and recovery are also good. I think he would be at about the same level as Pikachu. However he wouldn't have any matchups that are ridiculously in his favor.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
His CG's aren't everything. Hell, there's plenty of characters he cannot CG at all. He'd be near the bottom of the high tier, I'd say.

Black Heretic, your sig is hilarious!

napZzz

Smash Hero
He doesn't even need to rely on chain grabs. He'd still be top tier easily.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede might still be high tier, but definitely high middle tier. The person I consistently play only plays characters that aren't chaingrabable, and I still can win with Dedede. Dedede has many other tricks up his sleeve.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
His chain grabs are good, but look at his grab by itself. its a BEASTLY grab. Even if you couldn't chain it, his grab is a FANTASTIC move.

He has good priority, fast moves, powerful, and heavy. And a beastly grab (you can shield grab so many moves and punish aggression). I'd still say he'd be somewhere near the top.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Bottom of Top Tier.

D3 is good. He doesn't need chain grabs to win. Neither do the Ice Climbers. Unfortunately people only want to learn to CG with them so they don't get much play beyond that, whereas with D3 there are characters that he can't CG, so you actually have to know how to play with him.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
He would still be a great character, just not maybe at the top of the tier list. Being able to chaingrab just puts him up more.

Top Bottom