• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would do you still consider Smash 4 ok?

Izaisk

Smash Rookie
Ever since ultimate came out most people have switched over and haven't touched Smash 4 since.

In my opinion, ultimate is superior to smash 4 in most ways, but I'm curious too see what other people have to say about it!

Arthur97

Smash Master
Of course it's still okay. In fact, it may be more polished, but I typically do move on to the new game when it comes out.

SehWho

Smash Cadet
Yeah sure, it's still a pretty good game. It's just one that's outclassed in every way by the one that follows it, and it doesn't have any qualities that make me want to go back to it like I do 64 and Melee. Much like Brawl, in my mind it's buried behind the new one forever, doubt I'll ever launch it again.

D

Deleted member

In a way, since 4 doesn't have broken heavyweights.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
It isn't bad but it isn't as good as Ultimate. Even 3ds as portable Smash is overwirtten now that the Switch was created as a hybird.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
The only thing that keeps me coming back to Smash 4 is Smash Run. Now there’s a dropped opportunity of making WoL more fun.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
At lazy times, i just play Smash 4 on my 3DS while laying on bed. I would never play the console version tho, Smash5 is way superior.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it was perfectly fine. In a lot of fighting games, latest installments take over the previous one, there's nothing surprising about people moving on from it. It was an okay game (well, two games) and if it wasn't for Smash For, we'd likely wouldn't get Ultimate.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Smash 4 is good.

If anyone is saying that Smash 4 is suddenly bad because Ultimate came out.... they're not thinking rationally.

Ultimate might be better and may blow Smash 4 out of the water, but Smash 4 never stopped being good.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Never played it and still dont intend to since smash ultimate is basically smash wii u 2.0. edition. So in essence, smash wii u was really just a useless filler on a useless console until ultimate released. I have a reason to play every smash because of their dramatic differences but, wii u smash is a no-go.

Yeah sure, it's still a pretty good game. It's just one that's outclassed in every way by the one that follows it, and it doesn't have any qualities that make me want to go back to it like I do 64 and Melee. Much like Brawl, in my mind it's buried behind the new one forever, doubt I'll ever launch it again.
Why does everyone always have to **** on brawl :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Um, "okay"? Smash 4 is wonderful! Brawl is wonderful! Melee is wonderful! 64 is wonderful! Ultimate is indeed wonderful, and this is coming from me, an elderly lady who does not yet own the game. In other words, there is no number one in this series to me.

Sayonara :kirby:

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 is better then Ultimate and I play it more often. In Smash Wii U there's no toad in Peach's grabs, it has custom moves and my favorite modes in it.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
In every way ultimate is a superior game, melee is the only one I need to revisit.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
I probably won't go back to Smash 4 in the same way there's no reason to go back to any of the previous titles other than for a nostalgia run. We do still have it hooked up in our gamer club at school, mostly because we don't have a communal Switch dock.

It's not that Ultimate is "Better in Every Way" than 4 - mostly it's down to opinion over gameplay and polish. Personally, I feel that Ultimate looks worse because it's easy to lose track of characters, plus the gameplay changes (some I like, some I hate) tend to promote a lot of 'low risk, high reward' and spammy play. And you can't deny that Smash 4's character select process was a far better user experience than the crap we have to put up with in Ultimate.

I don't know how much is down to the game's meta being so new, and how much is up to the fact that the roster is so large, but there seem to be a lot more toxic matchups in Ultimate. Again, I don't think I'll go back, but it's a long shot to say that Ultimate is a universal step up for the series.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am still playing Smash 4 for my league because of certain Mii costumes and custom stages. That is really the only advantage it has over Ultimate. However, Smash 4 had all of the DLC to support. We haven't even touched the DLC for Ultimate yet which will likely put it over 4 on everything.

Brawl has a better Single Player Modes.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I had zero qualms about trading in my 3ds and WiiU copies for credit towards Ultimate. Almost paid all of it off too!
So, take that as you will.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash 4 is good. However, the only interesting thing left that wasn't transitioned over to Ultimate in some way (besides traditional modes that got dropped and a few missing stages) is Smash Run, and even then it's exclusive to the 3DS version.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Something to be always felt off about Smash 4 to me. I never liked it. Don't get me wrong, it was competitively viable, and the online worked, but that's all I really liked about it. A lot of changes from Smash Brawl in every other department felt like a step in the wrong direction.

For one, no Snake. I pretty much lost my ability to play as him between Smash Brawl and Smash Ultimate so much so that I'm actually moving on to a new character probably permanently. The changes in design felt way too colorful that it looked more like a game that is going out of its way to be overly kid friendly. It created a very large tonal shift in what I personally see as the wrong direction. Don't even get me started with the menus.

I don't really reflect that well on Smash 4. It felt like a competitive transition experience more than anything else. I did not enjoy anything single player related, and got very used to fighting on Final Destination, but that was just all it was. A transition experience.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ultimate surpasses Smash 4 in terms of gameplay but 4 has better online. 4 will always be a good game.

Brawl had better singleplayer modes tho.

Oddball

Smash Lord
All the Smash Bros game have been great, but each one has been better than the one before.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Of course. Is it a bad game? No. Is it a great game? Debatable. Is it forgettable? Yes.

Smash 64 will always be remembered because it's the series' origin and for its hilarious jankness. Melee will always be remembered for its insane competitiveness and high skill ceiling. Brawl will always be remembered for its amazing story mode and being the first in the series to introduce third-parties. Ultimate has every Smash fighter in history, a huge selection of stages, and by far the most balanced roster. Smash 4, though... it lacks everything that has made the other games so memorable. Sure, some people will go back to its clearly superior online, but when/if Ultimate's online gets fixed, I imagine Smash 4 will be forever lost to time.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Of course. Is it a bad game? No. Is it a great game? Debatable. Is it forgettable? Yes.

Smash 64 will always be remembered because it's the series' origin and for its hilarious jankness. Melee will always be remembered for its insane competitiveness and high skill ceiling. Brawl will always be remembered for its amazing story mode and being the first in the series to introduce third-parties. Ultimate has every Smash fighter in history, a huge selection of stages, and by far the most balanced roster. Smash 4, though... it lacks everything that has made the other games so memorable. Sure, some people will go back to its clearly superior online, but when/if Ultimate's online gets fixed, I imagine Smash 4 will be forever lost to time.
People said 4 was balanced. Don't count your eggs quite yet.

link2702

Smash Champion
Its online is free.

After my trial for Nintendo Switch online ended, I went back to smash4. I refuse to pay for Nintendo’s ****ty online service, the trial in fact convinced me more so that it’s a rip-off.

Until Nintendo gets their **** together and either goes back to making this free(unlikely) or makes it something actually worth paying for(like giving us a true vc service with snes, n64, and gcn games) I’m not gonna bother paying for it, and as a result, not playing smash ultimate online either.

But smash 4 is still up online, and now that all the kids with lousy connections are no longer on it, I’m finding far more opponents who have a decent connection in 4, as well as a few more challenging ones.

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
Ever since ultimate came out most people have switched over and haven't touched Smash 4 since.

In my opinion, ultimate is superior to smash 4 in most ways, but I'm curious too see what other people have to say about it!
Ultimate is a better game then smash 4 in about every way. Personally smash 4 was alright for a bit but got boring, not only to play but also to watch.

The_MP8

Smash Rookie
Since Ultimate is everything I've ever wanted in a Smash Game (even though I've only played Smash Wii U and Ultimate), there's not that much to go back to. The classic mode is ok on Wii U, Smash Tour was weird, trophies were never my thing, and the movement was okay.

I liked it. It was a good game. But now that Ultimate is out, I don't really think there's that much to go back to.

Top Bottom