• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Thing about Duck Hunt Dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
No, I'm referring to the sound effect itself. Y'know. This one;

They probably wanted to 'update' him. For people not familiar with the sound effect it doesn't sound like a laugh (And sadly after seeing some people's impressions of Pac-Man I am also pretty sure some whippersnappers wouldn't appreciate the Dog's original Laugh sound Effect.) They did the same things for the Ice Climbers and Pit in Melee and Brawl.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
The characters are now called 'Duck Hunt Duo', so I guess we can strike that from our list of grievances.

Moves-wise, the worst aspect for me is his neutral B, but that's probably just because I haven't got the hang of it yet. (I've not played him much so far.)

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I'll be honest, the dog's model looks a little ugly(though his render is adorable). They should polished him a bit later. Other that, love him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'll be honest, the dog's model looks a little ugly(though his render is adorable). They should polished him a bit later. Other that, love him.
I thought DHD looked fine when I played the game last night... I'm sure DHD will look much better on the Wii U.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Im going to say something about him as a fighter rather than something about his taunts or his name because thats stuff I can easily get by.

Now I like his moveset, its very creative and I love this character's inclusion but what I dont like is that you cant cancel out of his recovery, you gotta keep going till the duration of the recovery is over. Its a good recovery but its also a bad one at the same time.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't really like his recovery... well, I do but I don't like how I cannot cancel out of it and attack on my way down like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. do. The wild gunmen are cool and all... but I kinda wish they would block incoming attacks and their shots dealt more damage. But the rest of his moveset are all great.

I kinda wish DHD could have multiple jumps like Pit does... since he has a duck on his back that could carry him.

IReidYou

Smash Rookie
Smashes being iffy when opponent's over 100% + lack of kill moves + rage mechanic against you + being light. This character's fun as hell but damn his obstacles are annoying

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It's more like calling marth "Marth Human"

He's called Duck Hunt and he's a dog
No 'he' is not. Duck Hunt stands for The Team. Like "Pikmin & Olimar".

It's like if "A-Team" was a character, and you played as a strange centipede of the members of the A-Team. You are the ENTIRE A-Team!

When you play as Duck Hunt, you're not just the dog. You're the Duck and the Hunter (the person shooting the clay pidgeon, can, and doing the smashes). You are "DUCK HUNT"

Spirst

Echoing what others said, I really hate his recovery. As a Greninja main, Duck Hunt's recovery feels so sluggish and limited in comparison. I also dislike how even if you connect a smash, it isn't a guaranteed KO as it seems to have some wonky properties. Pair that with the fact that it can be hard to get a KO with DH in the first place and it poses an issue. Love the character regardless though.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
His name is Duck Hunt because it's not just the dog. The character is composed of the Hunter, Duck, and Dog.
That is a good point, it is pretty much a character of the whole game. (Well, actually i think the gunmen are from Hogan's Alley but.....)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's always funny seeing people have name arguments regarding calling the character "Duck Hunt", or "Duck Hunt Dog", while us Europeans have "Duck Hunt Duo", which sounds better than both other options IMO.

And the way The Announcer announces "Duck Hunt Duo" is much better than how he says "Duck Hunt", as he says it like he thinks they're adorable and he doesn't sound like he's saying "da ****".

Though to those who like "Duck Hunt Dog", you can hear Xander Mobus say it here (if the timestamp doesn't work, just go to 13:49):

http://youtu.be/ooegM_JZLb4?t=13m49s

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Smashes being iffy when opponent's over 100% + lack of kill moves + rage mechanic against you + being light. This character's fun as hell but damn his obstacles are annoying
I think that iffy smash is mostly mitigated by angling the fsmash up/middle and not done. Final hit of down goes too low after the other hits knock them up sometimes. That's my theory anyway, I have noticed dsmash sometimes knocks them around too much before it finishes too, which doesn't have the tilt issue. I just know testing on CPU I miss with dsmash sometimes and never do with up/mid.

Originally I would've said kill power, but let's be honest here DHD has some insane damage racking ability and super safe options. So he needs some shortcomings somewhere.

Now I'd just say I wish his smashes stayed out a smidge longer. I can predict their rolls but unless you essentially charge it to the point of single-frame accuracy, you're not likely to catch decent rollers. Nothing insane like working through spotdodges, just freaking last for like 2 more frames. Especially dsmash.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The fact that you can shoot the can while taunting.

Oh, wait, you said "worst." My bad.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I hate how the Gunmen work. What exactly are they useful for anyway? They take one hit to make them useless, and they do a crappy amount of damage.

What I do like though is how the Duo are homeless and have to nick other peoples' stages in classic mode. It's like the farmer or whoever originally owned the Duck Hunt Dog kicked him off his fields because he was so annoying, and now he probably lives in the Smash Bros equivalent of Traverse Town.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hate how the Gunmen work. What exactly are they useful for anyway? They take one hit to make them useless, and they do a crappy amount of damage.

What I do like though is how the Duo are homeless and have to nick other peoples' stages in classic mode. It's like the farmer or whoever originally owned the Duck Hunt Dog kicked him off his fields because he was so annoying, and now he probably lives in the Smash Bros equivalent of Traverse Town.
I noticed that the gunmen are useful for blocking incoming projectiles. Wii Fit Trainer's sun move and Samus's charge shot didn't hit DHD because the gunman was right in front of him... even if they were fully charged, the gunmen will block them. I am guessing you don't have to hold the shield button to block the projectiles when you have the gunmen doing that for you?

Doogle

Smash Rookie
NNID
iamdoogle
3DS FC
3265-5178-3310
The fact they even thought it was a good idea to call it "Duck Hunt" in most versions.

Spirst

I noticed that the gunmen are useful for blocking incoming projectiles. Wii Fit Trainer's sun move and Samus's charge shot didn't hit DHD because the gunman was right in front of him... even if they were fully charged, the gunmen will block them. I am guessing you don't have to hold the shield button to block the projectiles when you have the gunmen doing that for you?
The gunmen are very useful in blocking incoming projectiles though there some like Greninja's fully charged shuriken and Megaman's metal blade that go right through and hit you anyway. The gunmen can also be useful in forcing a shield at which point you can get a grab from.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Yeah, but I feel a bit bad for getting a gunman out to only be a human shield for the dog. Mainly because it's so anticlimatic.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I use them to block a hit against projectile spammers so I can clear the way for my clay dove. Doesn't work all the time, but it's a good way to stay relevant in the ranged game against projectile spammers. Use them as a shield the opponent has to hit to avoid taking damage, not as a mediocre attack that is stopped by damage, and I'm sure you'll like them a bit more.

Edit: I should really start reading the rest of threads before replying to a certain comment.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Duck Hunt is a great newcomer, but I wish he had more killing moves besides his smash attacks.

Spirst

Duck Hunt is a great newcomer, but I wish he had more killing moves besides his smash attacks.
Can gimps/knockback, uair, and bair are decent and the latter autocancels. Utilt is alright too but can be hard to land.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Can gimps/knockback, uair, and bair are decent and the latter autocancels. Utilt is alright too but can be hard to land.
If I know my Smash terminology, the Dair is somewhat useful for meteor smashes... and it can hit up to two times for a total of 15% damage (if memory serves me) but I think the hitbox is very small... like Melee Mewtwo's Dair small.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
To anwser the topic question...the entire site calling the character "Duck Hunt" instead of "Duck Hunt Duo", not everything has to follow american logic smashboards.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To anwser the topic question...the entire site calling the character "Duck Hunt" instead of "Duck Hunt Duo", not everything has to follow american logic smashboards.
Notice how the trailer says "Duck Hunt takes aim" instead of "Duck Hunt take aim". Compare this to "Rosalina & Luma launch into battle" instead of "Rosalina & Luma launches into battle"... implying that "Duck Hunt" is the dog's name and not the team name like "Duck Hunt Duo" would imply.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Notice how the trailer says "Duck Hunt takes aim" instead of "Duck Hunt take aim". Compare this to "Rosalina & Luma launch into battle" instead of "Rosalina & Luma launches into battle"... implying that "Duck Hunt" is the dog's name and not the team name like "Duck Hunt Duo" would imply.
Don't see what this has to do with the NTSC and PAL name differences for Duck Hunt Duo, but ok I guess.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Totally incorrect understanding. Rosalina and luma are two names. Duck Hunt, even if talking about three individuals, is still one name and thus would use 'takes' instead of 'take,.

IReidYou

Smash Rookie
I think that iffy smash is mostly mitigated by angling the fsmash up/middle and not done. Final hit of down goes too low after the other hits knock them up sometimes. That's my theory anyway, I have noticed dsmash sometimes knocks them around too much before it finishes too, which doesn't have the tilt issue. I just know testing on CPU I miss with dsmash sometimes and never do with up/mid.

I'll have to test angling it upwards because I usually don't angle yet they still pop out after the first hit.

For gunmen I always use the quick ones since it's a fast wall you can get out. That and they disappear quickly so you can keep pumping them out. Would think the mega ones would be good against projectile heavy characters. As for default I completely forgot how to use them lol. They can either be there to establish pressure, or sniping with the ill read if you have 2 years to set up.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The original laugh, I agree, would have been best. But at least it'll show up in the stage... I hope.

Spirst

honestly, I don't mind the new laugh sound. it reminds me a lot of Muttley.
that being said, I hate the laugh animation on his side taunt. why not standing up like in the end of the reveal trailer?
I don't know exactly, but they might not have wanted to reuse the animation again as he already does it for the entrance animation as well as a victory one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom