• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
How good is Advance Wars?
Its developed by the same team as Fire Emblem, if I recall (its still Intelligent Systems regardless) and is quite similar to that series, only Units aren't Named Characters and its set in more Modern Times then Fantasy/Medieval Times.
So how 'good' it is depends on if you like Fire Emblem and the differences between FE and AW.

Booster

Smash Lord
Its developed by the same team as Fire Emblem, if I recall (its still Intelligent Systems regardless) and is quite similar to that series, only Units aren't Named Characters and its set in more Modern Times then Fantasy/Medieval Times.
So how 'good' it is depends on if you like Fire Emblem and the differences between FE and AW.
Does it have Permanent Death too?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well that's good, it wouldn't affect the story
Nope, wouldn't affect it at all from what I recall..here's a picture that perfectly describes it.
*Only Spoiler'd due to size.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Advance Wars sounds alot more fun
To be fair though, Fire Emblem Awakening (and the un-released in the West 2nd Fire Emblem DS title) has casual mode where there isn't a Permadeath and characters are only out of commission until the next fight.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The Problem with Mario is that you can only add so many before you get to clones and forced characters..plus the Mario Franchise is well represented when you add-in the Spin-Off Series of Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi which, while they count as separate series, are all still under the bigger 'Mario' Umbrella.
This is still going? The only one that maybe still has ties to Mario is Yoshi, but DK and Wario are their own series.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I don't have much to say about this topic, but I will say this. I don't like the lack of villains so far in the game, but hopefully that will change as time moves on.

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't have much to say about this topic, but I will say this. I don't like the lack of villains so far in the game, but hopefully that will change as time moves on.
Well unfortunately we've exited the period of time where Playable Villains was trendy *Switches out Bowser Hat with Rosalina Hat* and now Female Heavy Rosters are trending. It even went as far as Nintendo confirming Shiek is a female, earlier today.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This is still going? The only one that maybe still has ties to Mario is Yoshi, but DK and Wario are their own series.
DK and Wario have definitely branched out quite a bit from the Mario series, but they are still under the larger franchise umbrella. Both characters originated in Mario series games (well, it could be argued that Mario began in a DK game) and they still have ties to the series, as shown by DK characters and Wario himself continuing to appear in Mario series games..and Waluigi being moved from the Mario series to the Wario series in regards to Super Smash Bros.
They may have established themselves with their own series of games and as characters in their own rights, but they still had their origins as characters connected to the Mario series.

But yes, I count them both as much further away from Mario then Yoshi is, since Yoshi still uses Mario series enemies and elements almost exclusively unlike both Donkey Kong and Wario. Heck, I'd argue that Luigi is almost as deserving of his own series as Yoshi since Yoshi was given his own series status after only Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story and Luigi now has 2 games in his own series, Luigi's Mansion and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and those actually used almost exclusively new characters, only re-using the Boos, Mario, and a Bowser Suit (one could count King Boo as either a new character or a derivative of the Boos).

That said, I only count there as being 5 Mario characters in the game at present (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina).
All that I meant was that it'd be okay for Zelda and Pokemon to move up to 6 reps each and exceed Mario's reps since, unlike Mario, they don't have any characters that spun-off to form their own series distinct enough from the main series and since Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong, had they not formed their own series, would have been included under the Mario Emblem since they are 3 of the most important characters to that series..its just that their importance ended up giving them their very own series.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
DK and Wario have definitely branched out quite a bit from the Mario series, but they are still under the larger franchise umbrella. Both characters originated in Mario series games (well, it could be argued that Mario began in a DK game) and they still have ties to the series, as shown by DK characters and Wario himself continuing to appear in Mario series games..and Waluigi being moved from the Mario series to the Wario series in regards to Super Smash Bros.
They may have established themselves with their own series of games and as characters in their own rights, but they still had their origins as characters connected to the Mario series.

But yes, I count them both as much further away from Mario then Yoshi is, since Yoshi still uses Mario series enemies and elements almost exclusively unlike both Donkey Kong and Wario. Heck, I'd argue that Luigi is almost as deserving of his own series as Yoshi since Yoshi was given his own series status after only Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story and Luigi now has 2 games in his own series, Luigi's Mansion and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and those actually used almost exclusively new characters, only re-using the Boos, Mario, and a Bowser Suit (one could count King Boo as either a new character or a derivative of the Boos).

That said, I only count there as being 5 Mario characters in the game at present (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina).
All that I meant was that it'd be okay for Zelda and Pokemon to move up to 6 reps each and exceed Mario's reps since, unlike Mario, they don't have any characters that spun-off to form their own series distinct enough from the main series and since Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong, had they not formed their own series, would have been included under the Mario Emblem since they are 3 of the most important characters to that series..its just that their importance ended up giving them their very own series.
Well, if we're getting technical, Toon Link's the protagonist of the biggest Zelda subseries. I really don't get this 'overreping' idiocy some people have started to make popular with series like Mario, Pokemon and recently, Kid Icarus, I think it's just people angry that their particular favorite series isn't being repped as much and they feel like they need to take out their frustration on other series' fans.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, if we're getting technical, Toon Link's the protagonist of the biggest Zelda subseries. I really don't get this 'overreping' idiocy some people have started to make popular with series like Mario, Pokemon and recently, Kid Icarus, I think it's just people angry that their particular favorite series isn't being repped as much and they feel like they need to take out their frustration on other series' fans.
Yeah, I can definitely see that..no Link has yet to have their design re-used for more then 2 games thus far except for Toon Link and, unlike those Links, the re-used ones were always the same Link..I'm honestly getting a bit sick of seeing the same design used over and over..at least tweak it a little so its not the exact same design..even the OoT-styled designs of TP and SS had their designs tweaked lol

I don't get it either, since I care more about a character not being forced. Like Yoshi and Pikmin really don't have much to work with for additional reps since Yoshi re-uses so many Mario characters and I'd rather not see this become Mario Kart with a bunch of Babies (that would really re-use more from Mario for attacks) and Pikmin really only has the Captains which would all be like Olimar or the Enemies which are either too large or too oddly shaped to really be characters.

I prefer having a character included more for what they can bring to the series over just to increase a series total reps.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think the fact that they delayed it is the worst. The fact that ONCE AGAIN Japan will ruin it for everyone again.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think the fact that they delayed it is the worst. The fact that ONCE AGAIN Japan will ruin it for everyone again.
It didn't get delayed though, it never had a set release date just a time frame. That time frame was more in regards to Japan, but since they didn't know and Nintendo of America figured their version would release a month later, they kept 'Summer'..it just happened that the Japanese release ended up being the tail end of Summer which made the English versions release in the first true month of Fall.

I also wouldn't say Japan will 'ruin' anything by getting it first since we'll all be finding out the characters one way or another anyway..it doesn't quite matter in the long run.
If it does matter though, then try to ignore anywhere or anyone who may talk about or mention Super Smash Bros.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
It didn't get delayed though, it never had a set release date just a time frame. That time frame was more in regards to Japan, but since they didn't know and Nintendo of America figured their version would release a month later, they kept 'Summer'..it just happened that the Japanese release ended up being the tail end of Summer which made the English versions release in the first true month of Fall.

I also wouldn't say Japan will 'ruin' anything by getting it first since we'll all be finding out the characters one way or another anyway..it doesn't quite matter in the long run.
If it does matter though, then try to ignore anywhere or anyone who may talk about or mention Super Smash Bros.
It's just that thing bothers me though.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's just that thing bothers me though.
Understandable.
I was hoping to play Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS this month..but I'll at least have the game before too long.
I don't personally care about spoilers (I've actually always hated surprises), so I'll be seeing who's in as soon as I can, but I can understand the reverse opinion as well.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Nintendo is trying to move on from K. Rool, he hasn't been in a Donkey Kong Country Game in years.
He was in Mario Baseball in 2006 though and, to be fair, there hasn't been a Donkey Kong Country game in years until Donkey Kong Country Returns.
I think that's more just Retro Studios wanting to do their own thing and not rely on everything that Rare had originally created similar to how they didn't use Mother Brain in Metroid Prime 1-3.

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
I think for me it's probably the amount of wasted potential for the 'For Glory' modes, especially since Namco did so good with Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur V. I feel like they're probably part of the main reason that Nintendo has even noticed the 'community', so why couldn't they have gone the extra mile and been like "This is what they like, let's do this!" instead of "Eh, they kinda like this. Throw it in there, Tom."

I just feel like Namco has a bunch of influence over Nintendo for this game (personally) and they're just letting it go.

But hey, there's always Smash 5.

Booster

Smash Lord
I think for me it's probably the amount of wasted potential for the 'For Glory' modes, especially since Namco did so good with Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur V. I feel like they're probably part of the main reason that Nintendo has even noticed the 'community', so why couldn't they have gone the extra mile and been like "This is what they like, let's do this!" instead of "Eh, they kinda like this. Throw it in there, Tom."

I just feel like Namco has a bunch of influence over Nintendo for this game (personally) and they're just letting it go.

But hey, there's always Smash 5.
Umm actually there was a job listing from Namco awhile back asking for people to develop Smash 5. It's not fake either as far as anyone knows. Maybe we'll get a second Smash Bros on Wii U but it's more unlikely then Sonic Adventure 3

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
Umm actually there was a job listing from Namco awhile back asking for people to develop Smash 5. It's not fake either as far as anyone knows. Maybe we'll get a second Smash Bros on Wii U but it's more unlikely then Sonic Adventure 3
I remember that, didn't it go up and then down like, really fast?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The soundtrack isn't released yet.

And leaks.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, I saw it for myself. I hate how Smash 5 speculation has started even though 4 hasn't been released yet, I like speculation but that's jumping the gun.
Since Sakurai said he considers 3DS and Wii U versions to be separate games, the listing for 'Smash 5' was likely just meant to be Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Booster

Smash Lord

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
The lack of news regarding Mother/EB in Smash Bros. is disturbing.

Agreed. If anything, i think the Mother fans have more reason to be angry that their series isn't being represented enough given that there aren't any representatives or stages from their series confirmed, and that all the representation they have in Smash 4 is literally just the Franklin Badge. -__- Well, and the fact that Lucas has a legit. chance at being cut, which is not boding well with some of the fans.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The lack of news regarding Mother/EB in Smash Bros. is disturbing.

Agreed. If anything, i think the Mother fans have more reason to be angry that their series isn't being represented enough given that there aren't any representatives or stages from their series confirmed, and that all the representation they have in Smash 4 is literally just the Franklin Badge. -__- Well, and the fact that Lucas has a legit. chance at being cut, which is not boding well with some of the fans.
Mother fans shouldn't be demanding anything, two series way bigger and more important than Earthbound/Mother (Metroid and DK) had to wait THREE Smash games to actually get a second rep, and one of those isn't even a different character! (ZSS). A new Kid Icarus rep feels reasonable because KIU was a hugely succesful, well-loved game.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Mother fans shouldn't be demanding anything, two series way bigger and more important than Earthbound/Mother (Metroid and DK) had to wait THREE Smash games to actually get a second rep, and one of those isn't even a different character! (ZSS). A new Kid Icarus rep feels reasonable because KIU was a hugely succesful, well-loved game.
I know, Mother was in the same spot as Metroid and DK in that respect, that they only got a second rep. by the Third smash game, but honestly, who else is there really to add from either series? Ridley, and Dixie Kong(Or Cranky Kong, maybe Funky but i doubt it) and that's about it. Mother has a few more candidates than that (Jeff and Masked Man, and Kumatora for example), but im getting off topic.

I get that Mother isn't popular or anything, but still, i think they deserve at least one rep. mentioned at this point, given that it's only a month until the JP release. Literally Mother, Wario, and IC are the only franchises that havent had a rep. to represent them in Smash 4 yet, and we all know Wario is going to come back. Besides, Earthbound VC is still one of the Top 10 Best selling Wii U games for a reason, people like it. Not to mention, Unlike Metroid and DK, They got their second reps. showed to return in Smash 4 relatively quickly, but all the fans are worried that Lucas is going to get cut due to his status as a "Partial clone", or a complete clone to the eyes of those who only see his special moves. Well that, and the fact that Mother just isn't that popular in Japan that much anymore, and that while support is high in the U.S., NOA basically ignores the series save for the VC release. :\ Like i said, i get that Mother isn't popular, but that doesn't mean the fans are going to be demanding for at least one rep. revealed at this point given how things with Nintendo and Mother have been rocky in the past.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I know, Mother was in the same spot as Metroid and DK in that respect, that they only got a second rep. by the Third smash game, but honestly, who else is there really to add from either series? Ridley, and Dixie Kong(Or Cranky Kong, maybe Funky but i doubt it) and that's about it. Mother has a few more candidates than that (Jeff and Masked Man, and Kumatora for example), but im getting off topic.

I get that Mother isn't popular or anything, but still, i think they deserve at least one rep. mentioned at this point, given that it's only a month until the JP release. Literally Mother, Wario, and IC are the only franchises that havent had a rep. to represent them in Smash 4 yet, and we all know Wario is going to come back. Besides, Earthbound VC is still one of the Top 10 Best selling Wii U games for a reason, people like it. Not to mention, Unlike Metroid and DK, They got their second reps. showed to return in Smash 4 relatively quickly, but all the fans are worried that Lucas is going to get cut due to his status as a "Partial clone", or a complete clone to the eyes of those who only see his special moves. Well that, and the fact that Mother just isn't that popular in Japan that much anymore, and that while support is high in the U.S., NOA basically ignores the series save for the VC release. :\ Like i said, i get that Mother isn't popular, but that doesn't mean the fans are going to be demanding for at least one rep. revealed at this point given how things with Nintendo and Mother have been rocky in the past.
It's OBVIOUS that Ness' coming back, though I don't know about Lucas...and the Metroid series actually has a few notable characters, of course Ridley first, then you have some one-shot Hunters that are fan-favorites like Rundas, Sylux and Anthony, and of course Dark Samus, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Ridley on this game and DS on the next one. And DK has Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong and the big one, King K. Rool.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
It's OBVIOUS that Ness' coming back, though I don't know about Lucas...and the Metroid series actually has a few notable characters, of course Ridley first, then you have some one-shot Hunters that are fan-favorites like Rundas, Sylux and Anthony, and of course Dark Samus, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Ridley on this game and DS on the next one. And DK has Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong and the big one, King K. Rool.
Well yeah, Ness is coming back guaranteed, if 64 veteran status didnt guarantee it, then EB VC did, Lucas is the controversial one. I guess i'm just a bit annoyed that Sakurai has been ignoring Mother entirely throughout all of this, especially given that Ness is a 64 rep. and how he completely ignored showing off any Mother news at all on the 25th anniversary a few weeks ago. :\

Oh, i didn't know about those hunters. I really need to look into the Prime games and just Metroid in general soon, i've put it off for awhile because i've had other things distracting me. And yeah, I can't believe i forgot King K. Rool, he slipped from my mind somehow. But yeah, that's true, they have more choices. Although, for this game, i'm pretty sure Ridley is going to be the only Metroid Newcomer, or no one new for Metroid honestly. For DK, anyone's game, but all the fans really want King K. Rool.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
AW > FE AND YOU CAN'T DENY IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylAZa2Vu54

Booster

Smash Lord
Ridley would be awesome, they could keep his size from Brawl. Let me explain:

He would be easy to hit and can flinch this time, like Giga Bowser in Project M. He could also have a handicap to where he couldn't use items that enhance his reach and (Oh my god Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus has a noticeably ****ed up frame rate) can't use invincibility stars.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
That Break the Targets got axed. It was on life support in Brawl. Looks like it didn't make it.

Did someone mention Advance Wars? Arguably better than Fire Emblem... and I am a Fire Emblem nut.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I still can't believe Nintendo let Namco touch the Smash series and Mario Kart series. Read this, would you let them touch Smash if it was up to you? http://nintendoeverything.com/dark-...t-different-from-the-audience-for-dark-souls/ I'd tell Namco to go **** themselves in the *** with a cactus.
They also worked with them on other games before, like StarFox Assault, which was a good game in my opinion and only suffered due to not being StarFox 64.

As for that link, he's not exactly wrong, Dark Souls isn't quite what the Wii U audience tends to go for, its really more PlayStation style to me.

That said, he said that was HIS opinion, not Namco's. All Namco did was not put it onto Wii U, which is likely simply because Dark Souls 1 wasn't on Nintendo consoles either..so they didn't actually do anything wrong.
Well, I could, I greatly prefer Medieval Fantasy to Modern Era.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I'm shocked that NOTHING has disappointed me in this game yet. The only thing that bummed me out is the characters I wanted being assist trophies, but that's not really the game's fault in its own right, so that doesn't really count.
The worst part counting the game itself has to be that 90% of the 3ds stages aren't competitively viable. Sure, we have the FD forms, but there's really not many starters or counterpicks this time around. I can see Arena Ferox, Tortimer Island, Boxing Ring, and Prism Tower all being Counterpicks, the Boxing Ring and Prism Tower both being Starters possibly, but besides that there's really not much for competitive players. On the flipside, competitively players have the Wii U version which has some great starters and neutrals all around.
Besides that, the game seems flawless in my eyes. It's as good as a Smash on 3ds and Wii U should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom