• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst match up for mega man?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
The ness match up is mostly spacing MB and CB (also short hoping lemons) but Also this is when the leaf shield Comes in (Ness cant grab you when you have a leaf shield.)
Also, how does leaf shield works against pk thunder 2?

Cause i'm sure one time i had a LS up, then i saw he was going to hit me with it as i landed and i'm like "**** i'm dead..." but LS stopped it.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490

Cause i'm sure one time i had a LS up, then i saw he was going to hit me with it as i landed and i'm like "**** i'm dead..." but LS stopped it.
Idk Odd..... i might go and see if it works

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490

Your right! the leaf shield does stop pk thunder :D

That's awesome!

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Wait, but it stopped pk thunder 2(you know, the one where he hits himself with pkt and flies at you) or just pk thunder?
It stops the normal PK thunder. I didnt tried Pk thunder 2 because i was controlling 2 chars so it was hard. I can try it later tho

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
It stops the normal PK thunder. I didnt tried Pk thunder 2 because i was controlling 2 Both chars so it was hard. I can try it later tho
Oh, i see.

I will see if i can try it with pk2 thunder with a friend later .

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
We finally have a mega man on apex 2015! Hes fighting yoshi! Also He WON!

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
@ Stoven Stoven So i somehow managed to test it alone(special smash in slow motion) and it seems that it doesn't stop the pk thunder 2 if Ness is too close to megaman, but with some distance, it always stops, i guess it's those first frames of pkt2 that are invincible or something.
That's why on that match i mentioned it stopped when i was about to be hit and die, i was like "4 megamans" away from ness when he activated pkt2. Not much of a game changer but is nice to know i guess.

Edit:
We finally have a mega man on apex 2015! Hes fighting yoshi! Also He WON!

Dagnabbit... i was watching it nonstop but went outside for a few minutes, i think i lost that
match >.<! Do you remember the name of the player? Someone we know?

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, from my personal experience, Megaman totally dominates Ness. He's way too quick for him, and can keep him away with Metal blades. It's also way easy to recover against him.

His worst 3 matchups, in order (for myself), are:
1. Fox
2. Rosalina
3. Shiek

Fox is self explanatory, his highly accessible reflector makes it very difficult for Megaman to make use of his edge guarding options, and his Metal blade in any capacity. What separates Fox from the rest of reflector-based characters is that he can stay on top of Megaman, as his overall speed gives Megaman no time to breathe, and the use of his reflector during times of Megaman's retaliation makes it feel helpless sometimes. You really need to consider switching to Sonic, or just be on top of your game if you want to win this matchup. Megaman is actually very strong, but because of his strange character design, it makes certian characters very well equipped to deal with him.

Rosalina is frustrating because if she is alert, or patient, she can get rid of your Metal blade. The other projectiles don't matter so much, because A) You have infinity of them if they disappear, and B) You shouldn't be using your F-Smash against her in the first place, it's worthless. Grav pull is only one thing that makes her frustrating, but another thing she has that frustrates Megaman is that her dash attack covers A LOT of ground, and has an odd tendency of either catching his metal blades more than normal, or clashing with his projectiles and nullifying them. Speaking of nullifying projectiles, if she isn't clashing with them, or pulling them away, Luma absorbs them, making it really hard to back her up. Her primary advantage over the blue bomber is her ability to pressure him from underneath while he tries to land somewhere safely. If Megaman is in the air, it is inherently difficult for him to land on the stage safely, especially while Rosalina's arials come out so quickly.

Lastly, and I'll make this one short, is Shiek. What makes her tough is that she is able to hang out in a diagonal shorthop area over megaman's head, which is tough for him to reach since most of his moves are very linear. She also does a lot of what fox does best, which is suffocate Megaman's offense, make him miss, and pester him as he tries to get his feet. I've struggled a lot against Shieks, so this is just something from myself personally.
how do you deal with pk fire?

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
@ Stoven Stoven So i somehow managed to test it alone(special smash in slow motion) and it seems that it doesn't stop the pk thunder 2 if Ness is too close to megaman, but with some distance, it always stops, i guess it's those first frames of pkt2 that are invincible or something.
That's why on that match i mentioned it stopped when i was about to be hit and die, i was like "4 megamans" away from ness when he activated pkt2. Not much of a game changer but is nice to know i guess.

Edit:

Dagnabbit... i was watching it nonstop but went outside for a few minutes, i think i lost that
ok! good info for the pk thunder 2!

Not really but he was shulk then changed into mega man and won. also he was fighting a yellow Yoshi.

@ Stoven Stoven Dagnabbit... i was watching it nonstop but went outside for a few minutes, i think i lost that
OK found out! and hes play right now hurry! His name is Badada

If anyone wants to battle me, Plz PM me. I really need to fight good people not Thos scrubs Who think there good because they win a lot on for glory and taunt thinking there better then you. Also they do the same thing over and over and over and over and over. Help another mega main out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
OK found out! and hes play right now hurry! His name is Badada
Yeah saw him, incidently, he was fighting a Yoshi again, dude is good XD. Also LS really saved his life a couple of times there.

Also, i would add you but i think i will hold on to that till my LAN adapter arrives, my connection is good but it get's lag sometimes, so i want to see how the adapter makes it better. Don't want to force lag on anyone here if i can help it ^^" .

Tried the Bubbleman jacuzzi's thread? Give a shout out there and see if people want to go at it.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
True that m8 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

R.O.B is a pain. They charge their down b. When they do they keep at throwing it at you and you cant do nothing with it. Unless You play Mid-range which you should do when your a mega main. A lot of mega mans on for glory like to stay at the ledge and spam MB. Some times they dodge roll to the other side so they can spam some more lol.

spam-gif1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
So, with all that you and ChopperDave said, would it be right to call this matchup unwinnable?
I wouldn't say that.

Like I said, the biggest problem in this matchup for us is a half+ charged Charge Shot. More specifically, we don't have a good response to missile -> Charge Shot. This situation is a rock-paper-scissors match, except when Samus loses she gets a safe whiff, and when we lose we die.

Skull Barrier removes this problem entirely. Reflecting the missile makes the missile-shot string unsafe for Samus (as she now has to shield or dodge to avoid the missile coming her way, and we can capitalize on that by tossing the barrier or grabbing), and gives us a completely safe way to approach into lemon spam range, where we can easily harass and zone Samus like any other character.

I have to emphasize that Skull Barrier's main use in this MU is to turn missiles and bombs, not Charge Shots. So it doesn't really matter whether Samus takes a varient on Charge Shot, and Relentless Missiles are if anything easier to reflect. All we need to win this MU is a safe way to close the distance, and Skull Barrier gives us that. Custom moves benefit us way more than her, period.

I think there's an argument to be made that the MU is unwinnable with customs off, though. We just don't have a good response to Charge Shot absent Skull Barrier. As soon as Samus manages to get even a partial charge, she gets a strong psychological advantage.

j3lly

Smash Cadet
how do you deal with pk fire?
A good Ness will only use PK Fire to punish. Against Megaman I use it whenever he throws out one of his laggier movies like U-tilt or I anticipate a roll. However, as long as you space your moves properly and don't throw out ill-advised moves you should be fine. Keep Ness at mid-range distance and force him to approach you.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Oh come on @Locke 06. I'm trying to say it's ok if we can reliably land killmoves as theoretically we kill her before she kills us. I just.. I... Yeah good joke.

To mass respond to other comments in this thread...

-Samus is in our favor.
-Luigi is VERY FAR in our favor.
-Mario is no worse than even. I believe in our favor.
-Rosalina is no worse than even. I believe in our favor.
-Fox is in our favor.

I currently don't believe mega man has more than 5 truly negative matchups in the game.

The only possible hardish counter that I can see is Sheik currently.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Oh come on @Locke 06. I'm trying to say it's ok if we can reliably land killmoves as theoretically we kill her before she kills us. I just.. I... Yeah good joke.

-Samus is in our favor.
-Fox is in our favor.

I currently don't believe mega man has more than 5 truly negative matchups in the game.

How do you figure Fox is in our favor? Seems about even to me. We beat him in the air and he's pretty gimpable if we block Illusion, I guess, but he's got some damn quick moves and ground speed that allow him to bait and punish our moves.

One of the things I have trouble dealing with when it comes to Fox is laser camping. On flat stages Fox can just dart back and forth using Illusion and plink away with lasers. Sure, Laser and Illusion damage output isn't great, but it's about on par with our lemons, and it has much better range. How do you stop Fox players that do this?

Saltix

Smash Lord

-Samus is in our favor.
-Fox is in our favor.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Luigi MU.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
One of the things I have trouble dealing with when it comes to Fox is laser camping. On flat stages Fox can just dart back and forth using Illusion and plink away with lasers. Sure, Laser and Illusion damage output isn't great, but it's about on par with our lemons, and it has much better range. How do you stop Fox players that do this?
Can't we duck, throw a CB and try to make an oppening to approach into lemon range?
Not like he can do that the entire match, plus depending on the distance, you can run and grab him before he has time to put his blaster away. I don't think laser camping is too effective against us outside of timing out on a tournament match once Fox has taken the stock/percent lead. Even mixing it up with illusion, is not that much troublesome is it?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
RE : Fox
It's not really about his ground speed. otherwise sonic would be a bad matchup. His horizontal air speed is atrocious, so really the only way for him to get around zoning is to try to shield approach or dodge through it. Every character that this is true for, I count as a decent matchup for us, but I'll go a bit farther specifically against Fox.
The character weight differences are huge in this matchup. Our bair and usmash are viable killers as soon as he's above 100 or so. Meanwhile, he actually has a harder time than normal killing us with anything other than dsmash (watch your shield spacing). If we guess a roll or shield an attack with him above 70-80, he dies. Also since he's a fastfaller, things like dthrow to bair x2 work for an easy 30%.
So basically, the neutral game is at least even, and we kill him earlier than vice versa. We can also edgeguard him decently to where it's about a 50 50 guess, and if we guess right, he dies. This is one of those where I feel we win the entire matchup with smart play.
Against lasers, we can fire back or just crouch to avoid them. Don't need to go chasing him. And illusion is terribly unsafe. You can either hit him out of it or just roll back and punish the ending lag (which is substantial). Idk I think this is solidly our advantage thru theorycrafting and playing both sides of it.

RE: Luigi
I hate to bring this down to the barest roots, but honestly he can't do anything about the pellet spam. It cancels fireballs, stops him from jumping, and he's not fast enough to run through it. To just pour salt in the wound, if he rolls through it, the standing pellet + his low traction pushes him back to where he was. If he does jump over it, none of his aerials outrange or outprioritize our fair, so we just jump up and smack him.
The one way he can get through it is by overprioritizing it with his tornado.. But again, that's crazy unsafe on shield so it doesn't help if we just react to it with shield usmash if he goes high or shield grab, etc if not.
Offstage, we gimp him like crazy. Leafstooling works. Jump off stage Nair usually works. Dair isn't too hard to land. Bair, etc etc. Anything we can do to take his 2nd jump and push him below stage level will kill him.
I will say that Luigi punishes HARD when he lands a grab. Honestly though, I think it's feasible to say that we shouldn't get grabbed in this matchup... Ever.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Can't we duck, throw a CB and try to make an oppening to approach into lemon range?
Not like he can do that the entire match, plus depending on the distance, you can run and grab him before he has time to put his blaster away. I don't think laser camping is too effective against us outside of timing out on a tournament match once Fox has taken the stock/percent lead. Even mixing it up with illusion, is not that much troublesome is it?
Yeah, that's mostly it. It feels like a really effective stall tactic when Fox has a percentage lead, because Fox has the speed to make it hard for us to catch him. We can't just duck under the lasers if we want to close a percentage/stock gap. When we DO catch him, we don't generally do much damage because one of Mega Man's weaknesses is that he doesn't have good burst damage (uair maybe being the exception).

I have similar problems vs campy Sheik. Needles are quick and disruptive even if they don't do much damage, and Vanish is a pretty safe way to get around the stage when used correctly.

It's a slow, lame way to get a win for either character, but I have a hard time countering it. I'm just glad most players are averse to such a boring and safe playstyle.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Lol at people saying Ness. I actually find Mega Man to give me a crap ton of trouble. He's a personal bad match up of mine. I don't know. If some of you are having trouble against Ness with Mega Man, then it might be even. The Mega Men I've fought gave me trouble with their walls of projectile and baiting. I'm not really sure how to get through them. I've beat good ones, but I've also lost against good ones, so it's interesting to see that some people are saying Ness.

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
MMan outcamps him u must just be bad
"U must just be bad" Lol.. Really? What are you 13 years old or something? I feel like this shouldn't even warrant a response but this is a thread about match ups.. And that is what you contribute to the conversation? Brilliant. You should write a tutorial guide for "bad" players like myself.

Actually I just think that beating someone by "outcamping" them sucks the fun out of the game. Hence why I said that it was frustrating not that I couldn't beat it.

PX Pachi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cofsyrupp
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
ganon is a tough matchup because he armors through my pellots and kills me with warlock punch

Teshie U

Smash Lord
THIS.

I think that everyone who believes Rosalina is a tough matchup for MM is people who think that gravitational pull "forces MM to approach".
Well, it kind of does force us to approach since its a free punish. Irresistible.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
R.O.B is a pain. They charge their down b. When they do they keep at throwing it at you and you cant do nothing with it. Unless You play Mid-range which you should do when your a mega main. A lot of mega mans on for glory like to stay at the ledge and spam MB. Some times they dodge roll to the other side so they can spam some more lol.

View attachment 37573
Personally i love fighting ROB. He is tough but it never feels too one-sided. His projectiles are better than ours but both his Gyro and his laser need to be charged, so it kinda balances it out. His side B reflects stuff so, as usual, we have to be careful with our fsmash. Also i don't know if it is cause he is too big but juggling him with uair seems easy, while he can also juggle us with his uair.

I don't know if he has the advantadge against MM, but fighting a good ROB is always a blast!

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Lol at people saying Ness. I actually find Mega Man to give me a crap ton of trouble. He's a personal bad match up of mine. I don't know. If some of you are having trouble against Ness with Mega Man, then it might be even. The Mega Men I've fought gave me trouble with their walls of projectile and baiting. I'm not really sure how to get through them. I've beat good ones, but I've also lost against good ones, so it's interesting to see that some people are saying Ness.
I know right? I don't have a huge prob with ness. Its most likely a even match up IMO.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Personally i love fighting ROB. He is tough but it never feels too one-sided. His projectiles are better than ours but both his Gyro and his laser need to be charged, so it kinda balances it out. His side B reflects stuff so, as usual, we have to be careful with our fsmash. Also i don't know if it is cause he is too big but juggling him with uair seems easy, while he can also juggle us with his uair.

I don't know if he has the advantadge against MM, but fighting a good ROB is always a blast!
This post is interesting, because he and Mega Man kind of have a similarity, aside from being robots. Lol. R.O.B. can take Mega Man's Metal Blade away, while Mega Man can take R.O.B.'s Gyro away, and neither one is able to spawn a new one until their opponent let's go of it. Both are good at applying pressure against their opponents. I think rush down characters can really do damage to them, like Sheik. They both have good recoveries, too. Can R.O.B. juggle Mega Man? Is Mega Man medium weight? If so, that might explain. I think R.O.B. is heavy, so he gets juggled hard, but not anywhere like Bowser or D3.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I know right? I don't have a huge prob with ness. Its most likely a even match up IMO.
Good Mega Men are a pain in the ass to fight. A few other Ness mains I've spoken to also have trouble against him. I wrote up an analysis on what Ness can do against Mega Man, but it's the practice that really makes the difference. I think stages with platforms give Mega Man more of an advantage, like Battlefield. The reason is, Mega Man can stay under a platform and fire away, and because there is a platform covering Mega Man from above, the only approach Ness can make, maybe anyone can make, is coming at him from the ground. It's not impossible, just very tedious to deal with. Mega Man's pellets are too good, too. They may have a maximum of just three hits, but it stuns so well, and has a good knockback once used very close to the opponent. Maybe I'm not that good at the match up, but any Mega Man I come across, I do my best not to give them the upper hand, because when played in the right hands, he's a formidable opponent. I've read from a few people that said Mega Man sucks. They either haven't played good ones or they don't know how to use him. I feel he's underrated.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
This post is interesting, because he and Mega Man kind of have a similarity, aside from being robots. Lol. R.O.B. can take Mega Man's Metal Blade away, while Mega Man can take R.O.B.'s Gyro away, and neither one is able to spawn a new one until their opponent let's go of it. Both are good at applying pressure against their opponents. I think rush down characters can really do damage to them, like Sheik. They both have good recoveries, too. Can R.O.B. juggle Mega Man? Is Mega Man medium weight? If so, that might explain. I think R.O.B. is heavy, so he gets juggled hard, but not anywhere like Bowser or D3.
Actually, megaman is kinda heavy. Not as heavy as D3 or Bowser but, i think he and Rob are pretty close in the weight category too.
Man, he and ROB are really similar considering that and what you pointed out.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
A Villager can also be a Even match up! IMO Villager and mega man are both good with mid-range but villager is also good with Mind Games (Depends on what your fighting)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Actually, megaman is kinda heavy. Not as heavy as D3 or Bowser but, i think he and Rob are pretty close in the weight category too.
Man, he and ROB are really similar considering that and what you pointed out.
I wouldn't have pointed it out had you not mentioned R.O.B. It's just when you did, I thought about it for a moment. I would actually like to see Mega Man go up against R.O.B. That could be a pretty interesting match to see. If I mained Mega Man, I would probably second R.O.B. just because of the slight similarities. :laugh:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Good Mega Men are a pain in the *** to fight. A few other Ness mains I've spoken to also have trouble against him. I wrote up an analysis on what Ness can do against Mega Man, but it's the practice that really makes the difference. I think stages with platforms give Mega Man more of an advantage, like Battlefield. The reason is, Mega Man can stay under a platform and fire away, and because there is a platform covering Mega Man from above, the only approach Ness can make, maybe anyone can make, is coming at him from the ground. It's not impossible, just very tedious to deal with. Mega Man's pellets are too good, too. They may have a maximum of just three hits, but it stuns so well, and has a good knockback once used very close to the opponent. Maybe I'm not that good at the match up, but any Mega Man I come across, I do my best not to give them the upper hand, because when played in the right hands, he's a formidable opponent. I've read from a few people that said Mega Man sucks. They either haven't played good ones or they don't know how to use him. I feel he's underrated.
Agree!

The people who think mega man sucks because hes a Odd Char. He cant punch and kick like other fighters do. Hes mostly a mid-range fighter. Also Mega man's Forward Air (Because its a Flame Sword :3) And Back Air (Idk....) are like marths forward air and Back air.... (Not really...........)

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Agree!

The people who think mega man sucks because hes a Odd Char. He cant punch and kick like other fighters do. Hes mostly a mid-range fighter. Also Mega man's Forward Air (Because its a Flame Sword :3) And Back Air (Idk....) are like marths forward air and Back air.... (Not really...........)
If you main Mega Man, you're probably used to him by now. As for me, he feels weird. He has a very unique playstyle and that's what I like about him. They made him like he is in his games and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hes mostly a mid-range fighter.
YESZ. Another common misconception is that one "MM= Projectiles= camp from far away." MM projectiles won't travel the full screen and he can't spam MB's the way Samus spams her missiles, so i still don't get people who think MM game plan is to run to the edge and camp there.

Thought we can all agree that the whole "Megaman is a terrible character" thing has died down already.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
YESZ. Another common misconception is that one "MM= Projectiles= camp from far away." MM projectiles won't travel the full screen and he can't spam MB's the way Samus spams her missiles, so i still don't get people who think MM game plan is to run to the edge and camp there.

Thought we can all agree that the whole "Megaman is a terrible character" thing has died down already.
Do you think some Char Force Mega man to Camp at the ledge?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
No one forces Megaman to do anything. But I think some matchups are best played close to the ledge where we can exploit recoveries after a quick backthrow.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Do you think some Char Force Mega man to Camp at the ledge?
Guys like Mac and others who we just want to send off stage and gimp, sure, but is not the game plan against all characters. For instance, doing that against Samus or DH is never going to work, their projectiles can actually travel the whole screen.

Top Bottom