• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst match up for mega man?

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I know there's a thread about Match ups but, i want to know whats the worst. ASAP
hqdefault.jpg

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Definitely Mr. Game & Watch. All because of his bucket. You're only non energy based projectile attack is metal blade, and while that and leaf shield may be enough if you're really tech savvy, not being able to use lemons and fsmash make for a bizarre match where your focus is on avoiding his grab and punish games throughout all of neutral. And don't even think about using crash bomber. The explosion is multi hit, and will charge his bucket full on detonation. I'm surprising nobody has been doing a doubles team of these two characters, because I think it's far more abusive than the first trick involving pikachu's thunder.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina
Mr. Game & Watch
Lucario
Ness (Seriously, is like jigglypuff on steroids, I still can't beat his air game)
And every single character that has a good air game.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Ness
Jigs
Samus

But I find Mario to be the worst by far. His cape just wrecks me, I have to play him differently than any other character because of the cape. It basically takes out most of the projectiles except lemons.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Ness
Jigs
Samus

But I find Mario to be the worst by far. His cape just wrecks me, I have to play him differently than any other character because of the cape. It basically takes out most of the projectiles except lemons.
Yea i agree! Samus is a nightmare. Jigs and Ness are hard because there air game is better then Mega Mans. (also if your charging your F smash then Ness can down b that thing and get some health.) Mario for me is a even match up but that's just me .

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Also a campy villager can be extremely frustrating.
For villager do this! Throw your metal blade then right after that do crash bomb. do this because a campy villager will Pocket everything he sees. When he pockets the metal blade then the crash bomb should hit him.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
For villager do this! Throw your metal blade then right after that do crash bomb. do this because a campy villager will Pocket everything he sees. When he pockets the metal blade then the crash bomb should hit him.
Whoa, careful, your metal blade is valuable. You know, Villager can pocket the thing and hold it for 30 seconds, which stops Mega Man from being able to spawn another. Then all he has to do is take it out, allowing him to hold it, then put it back in his pocket, refreshing the 30 second timer. He can effectively remove that attack from your moveset until you kill him. Instead, I recommend getting your metal blade in your own hand, and come at him close range with glide toss shenanigans in mind. When you dash at him, blade in hand, he'll assume you'll throw it, and whiff his pocket as you get close.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Whoa, careful, your metal blade is valuable. You know, Villager can pocket the thing and hold it for 30 seconds, which stops Mega Man from being able to spawn another. Then all he has to do is take it out, allowing him to hold it, then put it back in his pocket, refreshing the 30 second timer. He can effectively remove that attack from your moveset until you kill him. Instead, I recommend getting your metal blade in your own hand, and come at him close range with glide toss shenanigans in mind. When you dash at him, blade in hand, he'll assume you'll throw it, and whiff his pocket as you get close.
Yea but for me most villagers throw the metal blade right away when they pocket it. But thanks for the info bro :D

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
If villager pockets your MB you can just bring out another.

If anything, if he dares to pocket your MB not only doesn't make a difference since you can still use it, you get a chance to throw a Fsmash at him.

I know that he can take away ROB's gyro, Diddy's banana and Wario's bike and keep it for 30 seconds so that these characters can no longer use their items, but it doesn't work on MM for whatever reason, everytime a Villager pockets my MB i just pull out another.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I know that he can take away ROB's gyro, Diddy's banana and Wario's bike and keep it for 30 seconds so that these characters can no longer use their items, but it doesn't work on MM for whatever reason, everytime a Villager pockets my MB i just pull out another.
I just tested it and you're right. When I saw this happen to ROB's gyro and Bowser jr.'s mechakoopa, I assumed every player created item would be unusable if a villager pockets it. At least, regarding the items that have a limit of one on screen at all times. MB has this limit, so why is it the one exception?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I just tested it and you're right. When I saw this happen to ROB's gyro and Bowser jr.'s mechakoopa, I assumed every player created item would be unusable if a villager pockets it. At least, regarding the items that have a limit of one on screen at all times. MB has this limit, so why is it the one exception?
Probably an oversight, like you said, it works with other characters with created item that has a one on screen limit. Then again, even if it get's changed in the future, it still the same, if he want's to pocket and keep the MB that's a free Fsmash at his face, plus pellets+ CB is enough to shoot down his lyoids(?) keep him at bay. Not saying Villager is an easy fight, especially cause i never really saw a good villager, but he definitely cannot win a projectile war agains MM.

Quick question now guys, as someone who is relatively new to these forums, won't we get in trouble for creating threads to discuss stuff that already exists?
Cause this one for example, we already have the general MU discussion thread for random discussion about dificult matchups.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You won't get in trouble unless it's obvious spam. There's probably already a thread, but whatever. If I lock this, then it's no big deal.

To be honest, there's a couple things that need to revamped in this board that me and Yink are currently planning out. We don't even have a formal Stage Discussion thread yet.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
My worst match ups with megaman are :4rob:,:4lucario:,:4samus:,:4sheik:,:4falco:,:4fox:.

What u listed above I don't really fear most of the match ups.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Campy Villager's don't pocket everything. Trust me.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
You won't get in trouble unless it's obvious spam. There's probably already a thread, but whatever. If I lock this, then it's no big deal.

To be honest, there's a couple things that need to revamped in this board that me and Yink are currently planning out. We don't even have a formal Stage Discussion thread yet.
Looks like Pharaoh man's thread has been forgotten XD
You should bump it IMO.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Campy Villager's don't pocket everything. Trust me.
But in for glory mode they would lol. But i played with some good villagers (maybe even the best....not sure about that) They pocket my F smash which gets me killed lol. (But your right with the "Campy Villager's don't pocket everything" Part)

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
But in for glory mode they would lol. But i played with some good villagers (maybe even the best....not sure about that) They pocket my F smash which gets me killed lol. (But your right with the "Campy Villager's don't pocket everything" Part)
A campy Villager would pocket MB or CB at first, but then they would just start avoiding them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I only fear Mario/ Doc.
Caping everything from afar, and the combo threat is high.

Lucario is a sucker punch to me, he doesn't feel like a threat because I can rack damage easily, but then out of nowhere KOs me after landing just a few hits.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
I think Sheik is unwinnable at a high level. Not a Matchup I ever want to do and rather bring out my crappy mario to fight her better.

Fox is hard for obvious reasons, lucario is sorta hard just because of how much commitment there is to megamans Kill moves, which makes the MU stressful. If you can keep it cool and get some good edgeguards and reads then the MU is mostly in your hands, but obviously that isnt so easy.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I think Sheik is unwinnable at a high level. Not a Matchup I ever want to do and rather bring out my crappy mario to fight her better.

Fox is hard for obvious reasons, lucario is sorta hard just because of how much commitment there is to megamans Kill moves, which makes the MU stressful. If you can keep it cool and get some good edgeguards and reads then the MU is mostly in your hands, but obviously that isnt so easy.
Zucco, could you elaborate on Sheik? Like, what character you think would be good as a secondary to deal with her?

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
well I use Mario because I think he does well. I originally picked him up for fun but he fits the bill for secondary in my case. being able to actually throw out moves without huge risk, getting decent reward for landing hits, and safer kill options are all things I dont think Megaman can do but someone like Mario can. Megaman's obviously not much of a combo character, and the MU against sheik is just a huge struggle in trying to keep her out when she's trying to be aggressive, but she also outcamps you. Its just a ****ty situation where you are never in a comfortable spot and have to be either be much better than the sheik player or hope they dont know the MU.

Of course maybe im just bad against her lol. Id love to see some other Megaman players show me how to fight her.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Thing is, i think everyone on here agrees that Sheik is a tough MU, at least going by the discussion on Zero's advice, so i don't think it's a case of you being bad against her.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I actually like to use Mario for fun, don't know if i can use him as a secondary, but i'll put him on the list regardless.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Mine haves to be Zero suit or Shulk (2Fast4Me)

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Just realized that for all my posts here, i didn't talked about which match up i think is the worst.

For me, it would be Mario and Shulk.
Mario because he usually have what it takes to close in on you, and, as with most everyone else except MM, he has a few ko moves he can just throw without caring and that are hard to punish since they have little recovery time.

Shulk mostly because of his speed and jump arts. Smash art is not much of a problem since as long as you keep up with him damage wise, it benefits you as well so it becomes a game of who can land the first hit. I also find harder to keep spacing against him because of those two arts alongside some of his moves that eat through pellets.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
I'd say Sheik, Falcon and Pit. If i have to pick one, I'd say Sheik. Falcon wrecks us hard but it's gimpable as **** so we can win it.

Maybe Yoshi too, but I might just be terrible at that matchup.

This Guy!

True Metal Warrior
3DS FC
2809-9166-5335
For me, :rosalina:'s not too bad to face. All I do is bait out her gravitational pull and grab punish. Plus, who doesn't like pummeling Luma with Crash Bombs?

No, the match ups I have trouble with are :4sheik: and:4shulk:. I can only go defense with these two, since :4sheik:'s speed gives me trouble and :4shulk:'s sword making my lemons and other projectiles into lemon cocktails.

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
I haven't experienced any straight-up bad matchups for Megaman. He feels like he has a tool for every character, and whenever I get outplayed I can always fall back on being campy.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
For me, :rosalina:'s not too bad to face. All I do is bait out her gravitational pull and grab punish. Plus, who doesn't like pummeling Luma with Crash Bombs?

No, the match ups I have trouble with are :4sheik: and:4shulk:. I can only go defense with these two, since :4sheik:'s speed gives me trouble and :4shulk:'s sword making my lemons and other projectiles into lemon cocktails.
For me this match is a nightmare, I'm not talking about scrub Rosalinas, I'm talking about good ones, the ones that realize that even their down b can be save against megaman if they do it at a regular distance.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
Mega Man has a really good time against Rosalina. The runaway/crash bomb method has already been mentioned, but there is more to it than that. The point isn't to kill Luma (although, when Luma IS KO'd, that is our time to strike), it is to stop Rosalina from doing anything at all. As long as CB hits Luma, the immediate explosion will totally disrupt Rosalina, netting you free damage on both her and Luma, and resetting the position. What can she do to stop the CB spam? Nothing, really. Shielding/Rolling doesn't protect Luma. Down B doesn't stop us from just shooting another CB, and if she just uses Down B five times in a row in the same spot, give yourself a free Metal Blade and start approaching. Now, if she uses Down B from too close of a range, you can toss MB and grab her.

For Mega Man, this matchup is all about wearing her down with CB while Luma is up, and finding opportunities to gimp Luma (which Mega Man can do easily) so that you can now approach Rosa and destroy her.

For Rosalina, this matchup is all about closing the distance. She wants to get right up in your face, but Mega Man has all the tools available to stop her. Let's take a look at her options.

1. Dash Attack - simple and effective option, but it gets shut down by shield grab and CB.
2. Luma Shot - gets completely cancelled by CB.
3. Nair - tricky, but we can combat it with an angled MB or even Fair if you are daring. You can CB her landing, and if she Nairs without Luma being there, you can F smash her landing. If you are a buster, run up and Up smash below her.
4. Dash Grab - tough to combat if she mixes this up with Dash Attack, Crash Bomb should work if you run back a bit and then shoot it.

Alright, so Mega Man has to run back to re-space himself for CB a lot once Rosa starts closing the distance. What happens once MM is caught with his back to the ledge? Well, your ultimate goal is to restart the process. Use the other side of the stage as your new shooting range. The thing is, Rosalina blocks your path. What do you do?

1. Find an escape route in the air - as weird as this sounds, using Rush Coil on stage doesn't seem that bad. You can jump above and behind her with your regular jumps, sure, but she can reach you and hit you with Uair or something. Rush grants you immediate height and control since your are still able to use your double jump and moves.
2. Go to the ledge - risky since Rosa is known for being really good at covering ledge options. The goal is to force Rosa to make a wrong option and get behind her.
3. Attack your way through - good, risky mixup. You may get punished for it, but if you use moves that put you closer to the other side of the stage, like Dtilt and Dash Attack, it may be worth it. Those two moves also knock away Luma, which is what I'll get into next.

If you ever find yourself in front of a shielding Rosalina with her back to the ledge, you can choose to gimp Luma in exchange for a small punish. It is worth it. F smash, Bair, and Dtilt all knock Luma off the stage reliably and easily.

What NOT to do:
1. Use pellets when Luma is up
2. Roll. You will be D smashed
3. Pummel. Just throw immediately

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Few things to add:

If luma is alive, put your shield up IMMEDIATELY after throwing her, since after you throw Rosalina she can use Luma to attack you or call her back, wich hits on the way.

She gets way more usage out of plataforms than us, you can see in some of the matches SSguy had against Rosalina players,being above her is bad news for us.

And while gravitational pull can stop our uair and dair, Zucco found out something interesting: point blank, it doesn't work, she still gets hit by projectiles. I know that shooting point blank on her sounds bad on paper, but hear me out, it works. If she is abusing down B to stop us from juggling her with uair, we can mix it up. Baiting her to use it in the air and punish with a bair, or shoot uair at close range. Uair works wonders on her since she is so light, basically Rosalina can't defeat Airman.

So yeah, i think the match up against Rosa is pretty even. We don't have an overwhelming advantage but neither does she.
Not even close to as bad as fighting against Sheik or our boy Shulk.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Mega Man is Mega Man's worst match-up.

Not even kidding
That match up is mostly "Who is the best mega man player?" And its pretty much Spam (AND IT TAKES FOREVER!)

tumblr_mieizl7b7e1qcl8xmo1_500.gif
<---------- This is a mega man match

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
That match up is mostly "Who is the best mega man player?" And its pretty much Spam (AND IT TAKES FOREVER!)

View attachment 37019 <---------- This is a mega man match
YOU GET A METAL BLADE AND LEMONS! I GET A METAL BLADE AND LEMONS! WE ALL GET A METAL BLADE AND LEMONS!!!!

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
G&W and Mario are the only ones that stick out to me as particularly horrible. We have several more that we lose overall, but they aren't as bad as those two imo.

Top Bottom