• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Character Suggestions you have seen

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I'll only use this thread to rant two charactors.

Sonic.
Captain Olimar.

Obviously there are plenty of other charactors brought up on this forum that kind of send me in to shock, but those are the ones that are kind of my peeves.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Any completely 'WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!' suggestions like Oprah, Mike Tyson, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, etc. I am not even going to bother with, because that shows just how utterly ******** some people really are. Makes me wonder how they knew how to register on this site.

Anyways, the character suggestions below are the ones that I get annoyed by the most.

Blaziken: Why do so many people want this guy in? He's not a legendary Poke'mon, and he isn't Pikachu or Jiggs, who stand out due to their popularity. If they were going to put a random Poke'mon like him in, then they might as well throw someone like Tyranitar, Zigzagoon, Golbat or any other Poke'mon out of 350+ that exist. Which reminds me...

Metapod: It doesn't even MOVE.....:rolleyes:

Red the PKMN trainer: No human should represent the Poke'mon series ever. And if he somehow got in the game, WTF is he going to do? Throw a fishing rod at you?

Toad: He was already in Melee.....as Peach's personal meat shield. That's ALL he's worth. Get over it.

Daisy/Waluigi: They are pretty much mostly used as filler characters in Mario spin-offs. Daisy could be used as a Peach costume though.

Tingle:....No.

Duck Hunt Dog: One of the biggest WTF suggestions ever.

Miis: Even worse than the one above.

Dark Samus: There's a 95% Dark Samus would end up as a clone. Plus we already have two Samuses, so we don't need three.

Tom Nook: Tom Nook is a lame-*** racoon. 'Nuff said.

Ridley: He's too **** big. The difference between him and Bowser is that Bowser had been scaled down to roughly 3.5x the size of Mario even before Melee came out. I have never played a Metroid game before, so I don't know if Ridley has ever been scaled down to a Melee Bowser size before. If he has been sized down before, then maybe he has made the cut as a playable character. If has always been that big, then the best chance he has is being a stage hazard.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Chain Chomp. Hands down the worst I've seen. I'm hoping it was on Sakurai's poll as a mere joke.

And I really want to go through this thread and count the number of times Duck Hunt Dog is in it, just for kicks. Then put it in the DHD thread for support. I'm too lazy though. I might one day.

halfdemon alchemist

Smash Cadet
1. dora the explorer
2. a nintendog
3. rush from megaman
4. a ganado from resident evil 4
5. a taco (my friend actually suggested it)

NukeA6

Smash Master
*Link in a demented female voice* "I wonder what Ganon's doing!?" =best line ever! That line makes me laugh so hard, thus causing me to cry! Funniest crap ever. The only way he should be in is as the new Sandbad, to beat the **** out of! Honestly, that would make us all play the Home-Run Contest "Over 9,000!!!!!" times more than we already do. Online and multiplayer wouldn't be needed, just single player home-run contest, lol! :chuckle:
:
I WON!!!!!!!!!!

Cygnus X-1

Smash Rookie
Tails
ANY more Pokemon
Reggie Fils-Aime... Oh God (He'd do it too, if Nintendo would let him pursue his aspirations to take of the world)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Pheonix Wright (HE IS A FREAKIN' LAWYER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD:mad:)

Little short thing

Wright: OBJECTION!
Link: What was that supposed to do Dumb***
(Link grabs smash ball and cuts Pheonix Wright into smithereens:laugh:)

majora_787

Smash Hero
worst ideas ever: Chuck Norris and John Stuart. XD you have got to be kidding me, people. how in the name of Majora could John Stuart get into brawl

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
How did I not know this thread existed??

I think I just found my new home. Well most of my frustrations have already been voiced, most of them by Spitfire15, actually. But I'm still gonna rant. Just a little.

I have to say just about three types of character suggestions which are consistently poor.

For example, every Mario character suggestion so far has been pretty unnecessary. Because I don't care how popular the Mario series is, this is Super Smash Bros. not Super Mario Bros And Friends. Goombas and Koopas (and other creatures of the like) are the most obnoxious because they aren't characters. They're breeds of creatures. People argue the same thing about Pokemon. And if they were refering to Pichu, they'd be right. However, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo have all been established as a specific character of that species within the anime. Waluigi and Daisy are pretty far fetched too. I mean, they exist for the sole purpose of fulfilling a role in regards to another character (Luigi's rival and love interest), and have never actually been developed beyond that.

Also, pretty much any third party character. I mean c'mon, Snake is only in Brawl because his creator pushed for it. Granted, I'll give you Sonic, because at this point I could actually see Sega begging for him in Smash, but barring that, it costs Nintendo money to add third party characters. Lots of it. And they've got plenty of their own characters. Which they don't have to pay to use.

Finally, the constant stream of Pokemon character suggestions. Not to lump them all together as bad. Just most of them. I could argue like I did above that its because most Pokemon are just general species classifications and not actual characters, but I think there is a more important issue. And that is that most of the time a Poke is suggested not because it will fit into Brawl, not because there is anything about it which singles it out as a better candidate for Brawl, and regardless of if it makes any sense at all or anyone else has any desire to see that character, but because the person arguing LIKES that particular Poke. Of course, all of these things are usually addressed retrospectively (and quite often inconsistently), but the plain fact of the matter is that, you could argue for almost ANY Pokemon for Brawl, and really most of the Poke suggestions really aren't any better than any other of the 486 Poke suggetions.

Please pardon my rage. Like I said, I just found this thread, and I haven't had a chance to get out all the hate yet. :p

Andy

Weed

Smash Lord
Where to start....

Crash Bandicoot
Krystal
Midna
WW Link
Metroid [yes, the floating thingys]
Just about every single Pokemon
Gex
Toad
Daist
Mortal Kombat Characters
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong

And the dumbest suggestions since forever.

Miis and Earthworm Jim
Call me a ******, but isnt it a bit hypocritical for you to be calling out dumb suggestions when you have characters like Lloyd and Kratos from Tales of Symphonia being suggested in your signature? (Who have a MUCH less realistic chance over Diddy and Dixie Kong)

Just felt the need to point this out

Mr Feather

Smash Rookie
I've seen various people suggest Jedi's. This makes me die a little inside.

On a completely seperate note, I just heard from a completely reliable source that Chris Kattan and John Stuart have a very high chance of getting in.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Wait, is this the Worst Character Suggestion thread, or just a "Complain about character suggestions you don't like" thread?

The worst has probably been Duck Hunt Dog. All the things out there that're even less plausible than that, I just take as joke characters from the get-go.

The one I like the least would have to be ROB. But that's mostly out of strong personal distaste than anything else.

Anyway...to TherAT:

Agreed for the most part, though it's understandable that people might want those generic characters. They are really classic. (Admittedly my second favorite Double Dash character is the Paratroopa.)

Depends on the third party character, the third party, and their relationship to Nintendo. For a character like Geno, for example, who Square shouldn't care about anyway, and his position between two companys that had a good history and are currently trying to rekindle it anyway, well... The cost probably wouldn't be more than $125. That is, $1 for the paper for the legal documents, $24 for a fancy lunch, and $100 for 15 minutes of lawyer consultation. Characters don't need to be 'rented,' the least that really needs to happen is simple written consent.

Most pokemon suggestions are unreasonable, and the people suggesting them generally know that. Exception: Lucario, hadoken-throwing, ninja-moves Pokemon who is a completely distinct character in his own movie. Sounds like Brawl material to me. ;)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
PrinnyFlute,

I understand why people like the classic species, I just wish people would acknowledge the fact that they aren't really characters so much as types of characters, and that there are many REAL characters who deserve representation first.

In regards to third party characters, I think you're underestimating what corporate lunches and legal fees cost, but your point is taken. And in the somewhat unique case of Geno, I'd agree with you, because he was featured in a game which, to my understanding, was published by Nintendo. That would make Squaresoft (in relation to this particular game, not in general) a 2nd party developer. I could be wrong, but either way it was a joint collaboration (sp?) between the two companies, and it isn't unheard of for Nintendo to have made provisions for utilizing the character in later games. Especially considering I've heard that he HAS appeared in Nintendo published games, to date.
The situation is somewhat different when it comes to most other third-party characters. Because when a character is trademarked by a company, it is their intillectual property. That means they have the right to either refuse other companies use of their character or to demand compensation for use of their intillectual property. Let's face it, video games are a business. Other developers aren't going to freely give away something they can make a decent buck off of. Therefore, I think my previous point is still valid.

I don't know about Lucario. This is probably because I find the pokemon anime watered down and obnoxious (no offense to those who like it). So, you may indeed be right. However, where is that line drawn? Does ANY pokemon who appeared in the show or movies count as a specific character of their species? Because I'm guessing a show entitled Pokemon is going to have a metric buttload of pokemon in it, and you then end up with the same problem. So the question I pose is this, is there anything that makes Lucario stand out among other 'featured in the show as a member of its species' pokemon?

See? Much less rage this time around.

Andy

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
PrinnyFlute,

I understand why people like the classic species, I just wish people would acknowledge the fact that they aren't really characters so much as types of characters, and that there are many REAL characters who deserve representation first.

In regards to third party characters, I think you're underestimating what corporate lunches and legal fees cost, but your point is taken. And in the somewhat unique case of Geno, I'd agree with you, because he was featured in a game which, to my understanding, was published by Nintendo. That would make Squaresoft (in relation to this particular game, not in general) a 2nd party developer. I could be wrong, but either way it was a joint collaboration (sp?) between the two companies, and it isn't unheard of for Nintendo to have made provisions for utilizing the character in later games. Especially considering I've heard that he HAS appeared in Nintendo published games, to date.
The situation is somewhat different when it comes to most other third-party characters. Because when a character is trademarked by a company, it is their intillectual property. That means they have the right to either refuse other companies use of their character or to demand compensation for use of their intillectual property. Let's face it, video games are a business. Other developers aren't going to freely give away something they can make a decent buck off of. Therefore, I think my previous point is still valid.

I don't know about Lucario. This is probably because I find the pokemon anime watered down and obnoxious (no offense to those who like it). So, you may indeed be right. However, where is that line drawn? Does ANY pokemon who appeared in the show or movies count as a specific character of their species? Because I'm guessing a show entitled Pokemon is going to have a metric buttload of pokemon in it, and you then end up with the same problem. So the question I pose is this, is there anything that makes Lucario stand out among other 'featured in the show as a member of its species' pokemon?

See? Much less rage this time around.

Andy
Hehe, I didn't mind the rage so much.

Aye, most of these 'species' characters do lack the prerequisite amount of personality I'd like to see from Smash characters. There are 'half' exceptions, like Toad, who's been a seperate character at times. (And let's not forget that Yoshi is even shown as being a herd and not an individual in Melee's opening.) But I'd still much rather see a number of unique characters get in first, yes. Personality's a big deal to me though, which is a big reason I'm not crazy about ROB.

And yeah, for most characters the paper trail and legal fees will be a pretty big pain. I just wanted to make a point that some, like Geno, aren't completely out there. ;) I can't speak for the Japanese community, but the game industry here is extremely based on networking. Personal relationships (like Sakurai and Kojima,) can make a humongous difference, but the fact remains that for any character that still has profit potential, every single person on the grapevine would have to approve completely for it -not- to be a headache.
I think Snake was a matter of getting lucky, as Kojima wanted him bad enough to pull the right strings, and Sonic's probably good, seeing as he's highly requested, even from -inside- Nintendo, Nintendo and Sega are on a bit of a good will tour right now (See: Sonic and Mario go the Olympics,) and, admittedly... WTF else does Sonic have to do? Keep his 15 year old trophies dusted and shiny while Sega makes crappy games about iffy spinoff characters, that's what. All said, I don't mind third party suggestions, though a lot of them are pretty much impossible. (Though Namco's already handled a few crossovers with the big N, so maybe...)

Ehh..the show started off, how you say, "cute?" Now 10 years later it's just trudging along like some undead thing that won't...err, die. Anyway, I quit it a few months after it hit the airwaves, but I'll admit that I did watch a goodly portion of the Lucario movie on Youtube. And to sum up his role; sense of honor, powerful warrior dood, emotional bond with some doodz or something, friggin' sweet ninja backflips and hadokens. Worth noting that he did have a speaking role, too, so he was established more as a whole character and not, 'look, it's a lucario and it's friggin sweet!' Of course, aside from that, his merchandising is pretty prevalent when it comes to pokemon stuff, and fans of the games in general seem to be pretty keen on him, so it just all seems to add up. The real question is, does Sakurai care?

As far as other poke suggestions go, though I like a number of the characters, and have few qualms with the rest, most do seem to lack any claim to fame to make them realistic choices. Blaziken is a kicking fire chicken. Fun to play as? Most likely. A good candidate for Brawl? ...Ehh...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Prinny! Did you already forget the times we shared in the Gardevoir thread? Did you forget how we fought against the cruel trolls who murdered our parents and burned our lands and.. and.. *runs off in tears*

Gardevoir owns! =D

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Prinny! Did you already forget the times we shared in the Gardevoir thread? Did you forget how we fought against the cruel trolls who murdered our parents and burned our lands and.. and.. *runs off in tears*

Gardevoir owns! =D
The historic battles fought in the thread of Gardevoir will live on forever!...in our hearts. Or stomachs. Pituatary glands?

Hey, Gardevoir does own. I'll snip the last paragraph to fix that up. As far as I know, though, Gardevoir doesn't have any official roles that might prop her up to the star status that Sakurai may or may not be looking for, which was what the point of the post was. Besides her role in Ruby/Sapphire, which actually was a cool little twist for a Pokemon game...and her major role in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, too.

As far as probability of inclusion as a whole, and not just canonized roles, there are a number of other things that do contribute to Garde, though. Namely her huge fan following in Japan, and, well...y'know, the other places she appears pretty regularly. She was on Sakurai's poll, after all.

(Edited in so as to keep from hijacking the topic anymore than I already have. Thanks Fawriel, I completely forgot about that! ...But how many episodes are there!? I only played the first before handing the DS back to my friend.)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Off topic but the rat always has wicked long posts. Never seen a short one lol. My worst character suggestion I've heard up to date was Ken Hoang. He has Marth's Sword, Falcon's knee, zelda's b-air, he can store needles, and he has fox's shine. Between you and me, that sound's a little broken.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
vaati
lip
fd link
midina
wolf link
ww link
y link
any pokemon besides meowth or lucario (lol)
simon belmont
skull kid
any LoZ character thats isn't link zelda or ganondorf
any mario character who isnt mario luigi peach bowser or geno
krystal
lolo and lala
tom nook
any metroid character besides smaus zamus and ridley
kolona
knights
captin n

i'll add more later

Crom

Smash Journeyman
dont you guys know how the formula goes? If any random, basic, generic character ever appears even for 1 second in any Nintendo game he should be for brawl! Starfy for brawl! He's a star with eyes wow how awesome! Hey I can make my own version of starfy, i call him Sqaurefy! He has eyes and hes a big square how awesome is that i should be a nintendo character designer

This new revolutionary character would make nice unique addition to the pokemon roster aswell
---------

any pokemon besides meowth or lucario (lol)
simon belmont
I don't beleive it... You want some random lame pokemon, and you don't want Simon Belmont, one of the 2 kings of the old, true nintendo? (the other is bill rizer from contra). Simon Belmont single handedly beat the s*** out of Dracula and his entire demon army with his whip, and you prefer a talking Cat that does nothing but act like a ******?

skullkidd

Smash Ace
^hahaha
Stafy is a horrible idea
so is:
WW Link: Link is enough
Tom Nook: Try to picture Ganondorf losing to a raccoon with droopy eyes.
Dark Samus: We have Samus AND ZSS now!
Lip
Deoxys: We already had to deal with Mewtwo in SSBM, and Lucario will be enough for Brawl.
Boo: Won't have enough moves
Pacman: I can't believe the people that want pacman are serious.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
dont you guys know how the formula goes? If any random, basic, generic character ever appears even for 1 second in any Nintendo game he should be for brawl! Starfy for brawl! He's a star with eyes wow how awesome!
---------

I don't beleive it... You want some random lame pokemon, and you don't want Simon Belmont, one of the 2 kings of the old, true nintendo? (the other is bill rizer from contra). Simon Belmont single handedly beat the s*** out of Dracula and his entire demon army with his whip, and you prefer a talking Cat that does nothing but act like a ******?
ok no. 1, its stafy not starfy
2. he did more than appear in just one game, he has a mega successful series in japan. they have made all forms of stafy murchandice, and he even has his own tv i am pretty sure.
3. pokemon= 1st party nintendo and belmount is 3rd party. they are on completely different sides of the field. personally i am routing for bomberman, and i didn't care much for the early castlevania. all it was was simon running around and using the same whip attack over and over again. incredibly boring. if simon gets in over megaman however, ill be happy

^hahaha
Stafy is a horrible idea
so is:
WW Link: Link is enough
Tom Nook: Try to picture Ganondorf losing to a raccoon with droopy eyes.
Dark Samus: We have Samus AND ZSS now!
Lip
Deoxys: We already had to deal with Mewtwo in SSBM, and Lucario will be enough for Brawl.
Boo: Won't have enough moves
Pacman: I can't believe the people that want pacman are serious.
stafy is nowhere near a horrible idea. wait till they start tranfering his games over to the U.S. they look fun as hell.
i agree with you on nook, DS, boo, and pacman although you are way off on deoxys. your argument holds no water as to why he shouldn't be in and can be easily swung back to include lucario. "Lucario: We already had to deal with Mewtwo in SSBM, and Deoxys will be enough for Brawl." see look at that, the argument you presented sucks. because one pokemon is bad all others have to suck as well, when the **** does that start to make sense.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Character success is not the issue here.

Look, I bet if you took my character I made up in 5 seconds, Sqaurefy, and put him into Mario Galaxy and had him bounce around and give mario a couple items, he would turn into a popular character and people would start posting Sqaurefy for brawl threads.

What you need to do is take a step back and look at what Stafy is. Stafy, is a Star, with eyes.
-A star with eyes is lame.
-Simon Belmont cracking his whip in pikachu's face is awesome.

You need to look at the actual character before you love him blindly for being in a good game.

Look at the top of the Smashboards page. Theres a button that says members list. Look at the icon, is that stafy or a STAR POWER UP IN MARIO? Wait, you cant tell the difference!

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
Deoxys is the worst i think. appered in one movie. and is completely un needed. it's not in the same league with mewtwo. just because it has a bunch of forms doesnt mean it should get in. Mewtwo was the all powerful pokemon at that time and had a right too be put in melee. Deoxys will most likely hopefully be put in a pokeball where it belongs or something.

ive heard James bond too which s like blech to me

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
ok once again, starfy is not third party, so he is not in direct competition with simon belmount.

and lets look at some other people already in brawl

kirby- a pink ball with eyes
mario- a plumber who can shoot fireballs
bowser- a giant ****ing turtle
samus- some girl in a supersuit
pikachu- an electric rat
link- some knight from the past who got more famous then everyone else from back then
sonic- a hedgehog who happens to run fast

and to the woman above me, he has also appeared in many pokemon games and in the trading card series. and now mewtwo isnt the all powerful pokemon at this time, and deoxys could give us more originality and funner gameplay than mewtwo anyday. now does this mean mewtwo should get kicked to the curb, no. with some minor tweaking he could be made into a fierce competetor in the smash world, but does this mean we should exclude all other pokemon from entering, absolutely not..

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Does it look like I care whether these characters are 1st or 3rd party? I'm not comparing them based on status or the success of their games or who devolped them. I'm just comparing them for what they bring to the table as characters. I know Simon Belmont has nearly no chance of getting in brawl (which is sad), but that doesnt change that fact that he is 10x cooler than Stafy.

Kirby - Pink Ball with eyes, capable of taking on the appearance, attributes, and attacks of whatever he eats (awesome)
Mario - agreed, lame
Bowser - agreed
Samus - Some weakling girl in the coolest space suit of all time with infinite ammo and incredible capabilities. The suit would be cooler with AI but still a good character even when it's got Samus weighing it down.
Pikachu - electric rat, horrible character
Link - Legendary warrior of the triforce who saved the world on countless occasions using an impressive arsenal of weaponry. ganondorf is still cooler though.

and..

Stafy - star with eyes.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Character success is not the issue here.
No, character success is EXACTLY the issue. Super Smash Brothers wouldn't exist if it weren't for bizarre characters in successful games. It's Nintendo All-Stars, not Nintendo Cool-looking people. It's time for some multiquoting!

Look, I bet if you took my character I made up in 5 seconds, Sqaurefy, and put him into Mario Galaxy and had him bounce around and give mario a couple items, he would turn into a popular character and people would start posting Sqaurefy for brawl threads.
Do you see people with such minimal roles represented in Smash? Bouncing around and giving items is not even close to having a central character in a series of very popular Nintendo platformers. It's a shame that the series has only been released in Japan so far.

What you need to do is take a step back and look at what Stafy is. Stafy, is a Star, with eyes.
-A star with eyes is lame.
-Simon Belmont cracking his whip in pikachu's face is awesome.
-Kirby is a pink ball with limbs and eyes. Is he lame? Does it have anything to do with his inclusion in brawl?
-...yeah, that's true. I don't see what this has to do with anything, but it's true.

You need to look at the actual character before you love him blindly for being in a good game.

Look at the top of the Smashboards page. Theres a button that says members list. Look at the icon, is that stafy or a STAR POWER UP IN MARIO? Wait, you cant tell the difference!
Shouldn't we love characters for being in good games? Do you think anybody would take Mario seriously if Nintendo just now released a game featuring him? A short fat guy in blue overalls and a red hat? I'll grant you that, compared to some mascots, Stafy's design is pretty simplistic, but that doesn't make him any less of a big name in Nintendo.

Anyway, on topic...I've seen some people post pretty bizarre character hopes. Dr. Kawashima, ROB, generic space pirates, goomba...3rd party shots range anywhere from wacky to downright impossible (Master Chief...?).

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
once again hes more than a star with eyes
oh and here are some third party ones

snake- a special ops agent
simon belmount- a vampire with a whip
megaman- some bratty little robot kid everyone wants in brawl
bomberman- a robot who uses bombs to kill everything in sight, i smell mad bomber
ryu- the ultimate streetfighter

and if you are just arguing coolness then ok, simon wins on coolness factor, even though coolness doesn't mean **** when it comes to getting in smash bros, how do you think G&W got in. plus if stafy makes it in brawl then that means ports of all his gameboy advance games to america which would be cooler then simon belmount

STOP MENTIONING DOEXYS!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom