• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
Uhhhh, it's been praised to all hell here, wtf are you talking about? People just don't like one track (Summer on Smash). Definitely worth the buy.

:phone:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ok so reading y'alls reviews I'm feeling a little skeptical about going to the store and buying Life Is Good. I'd rather not spend $10 on something I'll only listen through a few times and then play only half of the songs on it. In all honesty, because I have yet to hear it, is it a buy?
What thread have you been reading?

Yes, it's a buy.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Uhhhh, it's been praised to all hell here, wtf are you talking about? People just don't like one track (Summer on Smash). Definitely worth the buy.

What thread have you been reading?

Yes, it's a buy.
Well, y'all keep saying that the beat selection and hooks are poor, usually something like that is a recipe for a bad song and Nas has always been hit or miss if anybody knows what I mean. That's why I was asking.

Why are you rapping with them? Breakaway, homey. I see no future in ya'll as a group.
Eh, they are my motivation. Without them I wouldn't be as decent as I am. These are the only people who believe in me. Nobody else will even give me a listen because of my skin color man. Real spit. So these are some cool *** people. And yea I know they aren't the best rappers but I'm working with them. What did you think of the based freestyle?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Well, y'all keep saying that the beat selection and hooks are poor, usually something like that is a recipe for a bad song and Nas has always been hit or miss if anybody knows what I mean. That's why I was asking.
Y'all?

Quit letting Luigitoilet talk **** to you about the album, dude. Nobody else has said that BUT him.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
@Slice: Think for yourself. You don't need an echo chamber message board thread to tell you what you might like. There are plenty tracks from the album available online to listen to to see if it's up your alley or not.

Y'all?

Quit letting Luigitoilet talk **** to you about the album, dude. Nobody else has said that BUT him.
like stay and trust a step above all the other songs
can understand the engineering and effort into some of these songs but sometimes nas beat selection is just redundant and truthfully terrible (end opinion)
good album though definetely can appreciate the conceptual thought into some of these songs
not a front to back type album but hey what is nowadays
it sucks being alone...hey wait, that doesn't say "Luigitoilet", it says "Masmasher@"!!! that's a totally different user who espoused a similar opinion about the album. Wowsers!!! It's ok though, we've been talking about this album for a half of a page and that is a lot of reading to do, so your mistake is understandable

also not sure how "I enjoyed the album but I don't like many of the hooks and some of the beats are lacking" is "talking **** about the album" but hey. I'm sorry I offended you lol

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
@Slice: Think for yourself. You don't need an echo chamber message board thread to tell you what you might like. There are plenty tracks from the album available online to listen to to see if it's up your alley or not.
Ok, let me do this because I really don't want to listen to it before it Tuesday, If you were to rank all of Nas' albums where would you put this?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ok, let me do this because I really don't want to listen to it before it Tuesday, If you were to rank all of Nas' albums where would you put this?
Way to completely go against my point.

I'll do it for fun though. from my favorite to least favorite

Stillmatic
Illmatic
Lost Tapes
Untitled
Life is Good
God's Son
It Was Written
Hip Hop is Dead
Street's Disciple
I Am...
Nastradamus

so i guess it's like mid-high tier Nas to me? idk lists are stupid.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
It's worth the wait... well if you had to wait, but I don't see the point of waiting to the actual release date int his day and age though if you're going to buy the album.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Life is good is easily worth buying. Favorite tracks are probably Cherry Wine, Nasty, Bye Baby, and Reach Out.

9/10, this **** was long overdue. Some might say that too many of the hooks are sampled, but I personally don't care at all.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Life is good is easily worth buying. Favorite tracks are probably Cherry Wine, Nasty, Bye Baby, and Reach Out.

9/10, this **** was long overdue. Some might say that too many of the hooks are sampled, but I personally don't care at all.
There can be such a thing as too much sampling? Samples are dope.

soap

Smash Hero
I like the experience of hearing it fresh for the first time in my car after I rip off the plastic and pop it in the deck.

I rarely buy an album before hearing it tho. It has to be a project that I've been anticipating. Last album I picked up on release day was Phonte's solo debut.

S1 The God

http://www.allmusic.com/album/life-is-good-mw0002382213

Even though reviews don't mean as much, the way the album is presented to the public is what irritates me though.

Rating..... and look at their best song selections.. why are these *****s allowed to do this...? lmfao

that **** was terribly written as well...

EDIT: it's like he's just shoving words in there for the hell of it

"This trashing without rebuttal is worth arguing about, and snarky and vicious aren't admirable qualities, so the best way to approach this unfiltered carpet bombing of love and marriage is thinking about how heartbreak can make a man go cold (808s & Heartbreak) or in this case, irresponsibly start fires."

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Last album I picked up on release day was Phonte's solo debut.
And that was one of the most disappointing releases, although in retrospect you could see it a long time coming. I used to be the biggest Phonte stan, but it's astonishing how washed up he is in all but a few meager guest spots. I feel like he's the one who really killed Little Brother, too.

--

Danny! - Misery

He's not on the level of Lateef, but not everyone can spit hot fiyah bar after bar. Danny!'s one of the most underrated artists (I have not heard his new album) who makes his own beats and could rightfully claim to be one of the best producers to ever enter hip-hop. His music embodies everything I love about the underground. An incredible instrumental backed up by his typically powerful songwriting.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
The World is an Addiction is moving its way up to my favorite songs of the album. **** is really really great.

Still not better than No Introduction, Bye Baby, Cherry Wine, and Roses.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
In my opinion I feel like we have something that's better than Stillmatic. It's funny that it gets compared to that album by an array of people's opinions that I've seen because they both had that one ****ty track (before Stillmatic got re-pressed without Braveheart's Party).

soap

Smash Hero
Really likin the vibes on this project

doesn't sound like any of his other albums. I dont know how u can begin to compare it to Stillmatic. Both dopeness, but they are polar opposites.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Really likin the vibes on this project

doesn't sound like any of his other albums. I dont know how u can begin to compare it to Stillmatic. Both dopeness, but they are polar opposites.

Nah wasn't comparing, speaking list wise anyway since I have Stillmatic 4th out of all his albums, just pointing out that one characteristic they both happen to share among the majority of opinions that I've stumbled across. I honestly find kinda funny that God's Son shares the same problem too (Zone Out). Always just that one track that seems to get ****ed up when he has something near classic and it was always Salaam Remi but he stepped his game all the way the **** up on this one though. T'was Swizzy. :cool:

S1 The God

I still think Loco-Motive is my favorite track on the album. Sets the tone for the rest of the album IMO.

soap

Smash Hero
I don't really mind Summer On Smash tho. So bad it's good.

Summer on smash.. A lil overweight lets hit the gym go get the abs in lool

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I've got to put these songs to bed. Back in the day all of these songs were thee jam for months or years.

East Coast Avengers - Vengeance featuring Termanology & Apathy

One of my favorite posse cuts! Sheer energy spews forth. Esoteric and Term do their thing but it's Trademarc and, particularly, Apathy, who steal the show:

Y’all can probably make the cover of the Village Voice
Little vegan with Vans on, the Volcom boys
Barely born in ‘88, your whole style is very fake
But you swear you’re straight cause you bought some Voltron toys
Your hoodies are very vibrant, front like you kind of violent
Cultural vulture, Colt .45’s convulse your vital organs and vibrate

Like an old pager
I remember vividly buying a tape of the Vapours
I’m vicious as Decepts, burying you six feet
Make you dance like Vance White to Slick Rick beats
Verbally Kurt Vonnegut, the verses I vomit are genius
I’m out of this world, a vocalist standing on Venus

V’s for Vendetta, y’all are vaginal
As men who drive Volkswagen Jettas
So while you’re lunching on your lavish vacation
We attacking where you staying in a V formation

Esau - 2 Many Emcees

I must've been a freshman or sophomore when I fell in love with The Debut Album ... The Farewell Tour. The album no longer has that magic for me, but it's such a unique piece of hip-hop history that I'll carry it with me always. Esau really is the anti-emcee. This song is probably the best traditional hip-hop song on the album, and I love hearing Kam Moye (who went by Blackmel) and Apathy in their infancy:

You touch Black who? I smack you back in your clique
Cause you ain't good for nothing but rapping and jacking your ****
So mother**** a crew son, I love the way that rocking solo feels
I got split personalities and got them all solo deals
I beat you over your head with your platinum plaque, til you decide to send it back to the factory
Commercial rap is walk to me
I'm a lyrical landmine on stage if one more damn time you reaching for the mic and screamin out, 'Yo let my man rhyme!'

J-Zone - Candy Razor featuring Huggy Bear

One of J-Zone's finest instrumentals! What a sample! The best sampler in hip-hop and it's not even closer.

I love my conspiracy theory lyrics, but the flows are questionable. Huggy Bear (first verse) is kinda nice, though; if you enjoyed this song check out his performances on I'm ****in Up the Money and Orphan Babies (my favorite), also by J-Zone.

O.C. - Time's Up

I feel comfortable stating this is a top 5 hip-hop song of all-time.

Stoupe - The Truth featuring Supastition

To this day I still Stan out for Supa. An emcee's emcee. Come back to hip-hop, Kam! We need you! N.C.!

Black Star - Thieves in the Night

This song brings tear to my eyes. Certainly the most touching song in hip-hop.

Which makes me think, What would the other three songs be? Shad - New School Leaders and The Greatest Construction Crew would certainly take two of the spots. Tonedeff may take the last one. Or maybe Lauryn Hill or Automato.

Ugly Duckling - Andy vs. Dizzy

Maybe I'll upload this to YouTube. Straight up classic. Fresh Coast to the nth degree. Refreshing to see rappers comfortable in their own skin.

Automato - The Let Go

So touching. Masterful songwriting. Incredible production. This song encapsulates the essence of hip-hop. A contender for top 5. Words can't do it justice.

I'll continue this post later.

Top Bottom