• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'm curious. when you all say top ten, do you mean ranked or quality? i know that's kinda vague but...like.....do you make a list of ten rappers? or can you name 20 different rappers that have top ten quality? i don't really know how to explain it any clearer. it's just that ten is such a small number and but people tend to think it's bigger than it actually is......hmmm...... i'm confusing myself with this. hopefully someone gets it.

Linguini

Smash Master
there's only a handful of artists i'll listen to, regardless of reviews. rakim's not one. all the reviews i seen for 7th seal were like 2.5/5 or lower. i don't think i have to listen to it to in order to make a judgment. i go based off reviews for albums i think are questionable.

and i'm going based off an objective top ten, not subjective. krs nor rakim are in my subjective top ten because i don't really listen to them. but, when judging based off their accomplishments and consistency, they're easily top ten ever.

Don't let reviews deter you from giving an album a chance. We all have different ears for music, and the only ones I really can trust, are mine.

Jane

Smash Hero
crashic: ive only listened to one busdriver album, and you made me realize i need to listen to his whole discography fast. thank you lol

I don't see the point in dropping names for the sake of dropping names.
names are dropped for the sake of discussion, comparison, and interest.

I guess my point is, this whole discussion is a little frustrating since I'm trying to find new music and/or new insight into hip hop, but all I get is the same **** that people have been arguing about for years, the same **** that's on vh1 and such.
hey man, theres A LOT of music waiting to be discovered buried deep in the pages of this thread.

start going through it, i guarantee you will find a plethora of totally new ill rappers/emcees. and even more random single tracks that will, again, lead you to more sick new hiphop :) smashers know their shit. :laugh:

do you make a list of ten rappers? or can you name 20 different rappers that have top ten quality?
well, even in my own mind i cant decide on a top 10 tier list. no matter what i ever choose im never content with it. :p so yeah i keep it vague.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
i was just referring to bus driver when speaking of underground artists.
Its still irrelevant to even discuss how popular or well known an artist might be.

and personally, since about 99 percent of the things discussed in this thread has to do with american hip-hop, i see no reason, when discussing a top ten, or even top fifty, to include international rappers. i mean, i listen to aussie-hop and can talk about how hilltop hoods and bliss n eso are influential in Australia, but, seeing as they aren't as well known in america as in australia, i see no need to include them, nor make an argument for them. international rappers are pretty much put on the same level as underground artists.
There is no level. What are yuo talking about? No seperation needs to be made between artist. Tricky's influence isn't just in the UK, it spreads far and wide, from the underground artist like Mos Def to the pop starts like Lil Wayne. There is no reason to seperate artist because they come from another country, or because they aren't played on major radio stations when judging their ability. They are ALL the same.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Its still irrelevant to even discuss how popular or well known an artist might be.
popularity is and should be one of the standards when judging an artist. it's not the most important but it should be factored in when making a list of best ever. maybe not when just judging an artist them self.

There is no level. What are yuo talking about? No seperation needs to be made between artist. Tricky's influence isn't just in the UK, it spreads far and wide, from the underground artist like Mos Def to the pop starts like Lil Wayne. There is no reason to seperate artist because they come from another country, or because they aren't played on major radio stations when judging their ability. They are ALL the same.
Mos Def is an underground artist?

look, when making a list of best ever, skill is not the only factor.

Anyway, any body ever read the 25 Things Killing Hip-Hop?
http://www.soulbounce.com/soul/2008/04/25_things_that_killed_urban_mu.php

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i love how people always end disagreements in insults. makes me wish i can meet up with at least half of you and teach ya'll how to talk to people. but anyway, seeing as that conversation is dead now, let's get back to the music suggestions/discussions.

anybody been listening to these leaks from drake's album? they sound pretty bad to me smh....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm dropping the subject since some people can't argue their side without getting pissy...so no response to that.

I'm loving this DR album. I'm happy with the acclaim it's getting, despite its first week sales. Hopefully J.Cole's and Drake's albums will be good **** too.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
J. Cole just kinda dropped off the face of the map after he put out who dat lol.

So far, the only track i like from Drake's album is that leak Boofy posted. I like the instrumental for Over so that might be the only reason i can bump it.

I love DR. Next collabo I want Nas to do an album with is......AZ :)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Noticed there's talk about Biggie.
I like Suicidal Thoughts off his Ready to Die album. It's just interesting. "My baby mama's 8 months, my little sister's two, who's to blame? 'naww ***** not you'"

Also, I gotta get something off my chest. I love Big and Pac, don't get me wrong. But would they be such legends if they didn't die? If they just left hip-hop? We have people saying Pac was the best, Big was the best, but does that mean they were? We have people like KRS-One dropping music for 20 years, same with Rakim, and then we have Nas who made the greatest hip-hop album of all time. Then we have Eminem who's the greatest selling artist of the decade, getting rid of the idea that only black people can rap.

Then there's underground artists, who are dope dope dope dope DOPE. I love Skyzoo, he has good flow, and then I like people like Thaione Davis who sounds like he's rapping straight out of hip-hop's golden age. We have people all over the US who are dope. I'm not saying hip-hop is dead, it's a culture, it won't ever die, but MAINSTREAM is dead. Nearly everyone in the mainstream raps about money, being gangster, alcohol, weed, guns, etc. It's boring. Most of them aren't gangster and will never be.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ha, Nas and AZ would be dope. But haven't they already done a lot of that? I seem to remember Nas being very heavily featured in Do Or Die.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
personally, i don't care about the topics that are covered in rap songs. i care more about the skill they display when talking about certain issues. if i can sit down and listen to eminem talk about killing people as well as listen to royce da 5'9 rapping a story about how a man gets his dik cut off, i see no real reason to complain about anybody's topic lol. i don't really consider mainstream to be dead. it's more so that i'm not really a party-er so i don't really get into a lot of the music. o course, their raps are horrendous, but the topic of partying has always been a popular in hip hop.

tl;dr - i'm okay with mainstream rap lol. just don't listen to it.

i don't think pac and biggie are the 1,2 of hip-hop but i can't deny their importance in the culture. i don't think they're the best to ever do it but it does say a lot about you if, even ten years after your deaths, people are still trying to swagger jack you lol.

@Krazy: Nas was on 3 tracks from doe or die, if you're counting the intro. i think they've done enough songs together to make an album though. i still want them to do an entire album though, produced by premier and pete rock :chuckle:.......Doe or Die 2 coming out this year :)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Recovery tracklist

1. Cold Wind Blows
2. Talkin’ 2 Myself Feat. Kobe
3. On Fire
4. Won’t Back Down Feat. Pink
5. W.T.P.
6. Going Through Changes
7. Not Afraid
8. Seduction
9. No Love Feat. Lil Wayne
10. Space Bound
11. Cinderella Man
12. 25 to Life
13. So Bad
14. Almost Famous
15. Love the Way You Lie Feat. Rihanna
16. You’re Never Over

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
If you die when you're at your top, you never have a chance to sink back down. That's what happened with Biggie and Pac. Not saying they're bad at all, though. Definitely not.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Recovery tracklist

1. Cold Wind Blows
2. Talkin’ 2 Myself Feat. Kobe
3. On Fire
4. Won’t Back Down Feat. Pink
5. W.T.P.
6. Going Through Changes
7. Not Afraid
8. Seduction
9. No Love Feat. Lil Wayne
10. Space Bound
11. Cinderella Man
12. 25 to Life
13. So Bad
14. Almost Famous
15. Love the Way You Lie Feat. Rihanna
16. You’re Never Over
who the hell is kobe?
.......rihanna?
.......pink?

the album's sounding kinda.......weird.

i agree with red.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
He's on Street Fam, he was on Fab's album I think, think he's a singer.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
@Krazy: Nas was on 3 tracks from doe or die, if you're counting the intro. i think they've done enough songs together to make an album though. i still want them to do an entire album though, produced by premier and pete rock :chuckle:.......Doe or Die 2 coming out this year :)
Hell yeah, it would still be awesome. :)

soap

Smash Hero
If you die when you're at your top, you never have a chance to sink back down. That's what happened with Biggie and Pac. Not saying they're bad at all, though. Definitely not.
i was actually just thinking about this today. But not just rappers like biggie and pac, but icons in general. Bob marley, bruce lee, 2pac, MLK. if these guys didn't have untimely deaths, would they still have the same icon status?

would they have simply faded into obscurity with age, how long would their run have been?

would the ensuing generation outshine them? i personally think jet li for example was a better athlete and overall actor. Would jay and nas have overtaken pac in terms of overall influence if he was around?

I was just thinking about the ridiculous amount more of 2pac we would have listened to. the man was an album machine

Jane

Smash Hero
big and pac became martyrs. no they probably wouldnt be such big icons if they were still alive. the fact that they both died, around the same time no less, and the fact that they were two of the most popular rappers when they died, is why they are soooooooo big.

both are overrated (dont get me wrong theyre both amazing artists, but get way too much credit)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
i was actually just thinking about this today. But not just rappers like biggie and pac, but icons in general. Bob marley, bruce lee, 2pac, MLK. if these guys didn't have untimely deaths, would they still have the same icon status?

would they have simply faded into obscurity with age, how long would their run have been?

would the ensuing generation outshine them? i personally think jet li for example was a better athlete and overall actor. Would jay and nas have overtaken pac in terms of overall influence if he was around?

I was just thinking about the ridiculous amount more of 2pac we would have listened to. the man was an album machine
I agree, that's exactly what I'm saying. They were great, but not THAT great.

And MLK would have been remembered still, he helped stop segregation.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion

It would have been amazing to watch bruce lee and jet li go at it :) my money's on bruce. i read up on his accomplishments a few months ago....can't be touched :).

anyway, to try and answer the question, as far as rap is concerned, i don't think things would realllllly be different. pac and big exemplified what was going on at the time. that's when gangsta rap was heavy. you look at everyone else that came from that era, you see that, nowadays, most either faded out or came back stronger.....or just kept trying to make comebacks lol.

i think there would be less clones, but the movie Scarface has created just as many mafioso rappers. *shrug* i dunno. tough question.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I wanna hear that track with Em and Pink. **** sounds like it'll be dope.

Pink <3
Eh.... IDK. I'm hoping his stuff with Rhianna and P!nk will be similar to his tracks with Dido and Dina Rae. If not, I'll be really sad.

And 25 to Life sounds like my type of song.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
AZ is dope, Nas is better than him though, he isn't as well recognized unfortunately.
i'd actually rank them pretty close to one another, though,of course, Nas is better

Why ya'll hate Pink... :(
i'm more of a blue kinda guy :)

i actually don't really have a problem with her.....just never really felt like listening to her. i don't really see how tey could make a great combination but only time will tell.

Top Bottom