• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Em doesn't have a "prime." He's too inconsistent for that. It's like on again off again, not like a certain point where he excelled more than anyone else.

I don't really like him though.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
SSLP, MMLP, and Em Show was his prime I suppose. Which is nothing compared to Ready To Die and Life After Death, which are both arguably in the top 10 albums of all time, something that no other rapper can claim. Don't get me wrong - Eminem is a legendary rapper. But I just don't see him in the top 10.

Jane

Smash Hero
in my professional (jk :p) opinion, i believe em to be in the top 10. i mean, i could go on forever on his superior lyrical skill, his original style, his proven battle rap abilities, buuut ive already said it in this thread so i wont do it again lol.

for those who say hes not in your top 10, it would be interesting for you to post your top 10, id like to see who beats him in your opinions

yo jane those headphones u listed before. have u tried out and listened to all of them?
na, never, just read a lot of reviews from reputable sources. if you tell me which ones specifically i could link you to reviews and discussions from audiophile forums if you want? :D

every now and then, an artist comes out that's so different from everyone else that they attract their own following, most of whom barely listen to rap. eminem, kid cudi, lupe, etc, just to name a few. most of these people's opinion on rap are, frankly, invalid :laugh:.
wiz khalifa anyone? xD

In my opinion and argument torwards Em. He is goo but it only when he comes out with his deep songs. Any other song is about ****** his mom or some other bull**** that is just for entertainment purposes to begin with. I use to listen to him hardcore back in like middle school. Then I actually listened to what he was saying in his songs and it's not even cool half the **** he says.
whats wrong with rapping for entertainment purposes? if a song isnt deep and from the heart its automatically invalid? eminem raps about random bullshit because he can get creative and rap about whatever comes to his head, and he makes it sound dark/demented to boot, in my opinion thats pretty cool. but thats just me. lol

Rakim - originator of lyricism :)
KRS-One - philospher of rap
Kool G Rap - originator of gangsta rap
Big Daddy Kane - SWAGGER lolol.
Scarace - (working on a description)
Chuck D - Public Enemy....nuff said.
Ice Cube - He made west coast rap
Nas - no explanation needed :)
Pac, Biggie - Not huge fans of either but i can't deny their influence and talent
Jay-S - ....yeah lol.
you meant scarface right? imo scarface, krs, kane, or g rap are not top 10... pioneer emcees sure, but not OVERALL best. the others could possibly make the cut tho

em is not consistent.

original? he used to be

I also feel like alot of his music is just fake. like he is just saying it for attention.
originality can only last so long, hes been in the game for over a decade, you cant knock the man for not being original anymore.

and fake? think about it... 85% of all hip hop music is "fake" and just being said for attention/recognition.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
for those who say hes not in your top 10, it would be interesting for you to post your top 10, id like to see who beats him in your opinions

you meant scarface right? imo scarface, krs, kane, or g rap are not top 10... pioneer emcees sure, but not OVERALL best. the others could possibly make the cut tho
i pretty much posted my objective top 10, though not in precise order.

woah woah woah. KRS isn't top ten? you serious? Kane isn't either? i call shenanigans.

Linguini

Smash Master
*you're

It's just his opinion. Doesn't mean he's either ignorant or stupid.
Don't need spell check on a smash brothers forum, but thanks though.

I'm not even a big fan of em, but I have listened to his body of work extensively. The man is a genius as a lyricist, producer, and entertainer.

Anyways peep this new track by Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpMqco3zFE

Boi-1da kills the production, and i'm not going to lie, BAWSE goes in.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
alright im going to the beach for memorial day weekend and I need some music to listen to while I'm zooted :bandit: and some other more upbeat **** for when I'm gettin my party on :bluejump: doesn't have to be "good" music some something more geared towards partying, doesn't have to be new either lol

EDIT : I'm counting on you guys lol

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
I think Emimen is almost like the Elvis of rap, very talented but has gotten big way more off his image than talent. People have their different opinions of who would make a top 10, and for that reason I think it's insulting to all that came before him to say that Eminem HAS to be in the top 10, because he doesnt deserve that guarantee based off skill, lyricism (seriously making eric cartman impressions and fart jokes, when he's not talking about ******/killing people, puts you in the top 10?!), and relevance, because he was for a few years but is hardly anymore IMO.

He's obviously very skilled but there have been A LOT of skilled emcees and the only ones that should definitely get a spot in a so called top 10 would be Rakim, KRS, Nas, possibly Biggie and/or Pac and possibly Jay-Z (love him or hate him, his longevity makes all that came before him seem like a joke, and his influence is undeniable). I would also probably throw Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane in there, not to have a bias towards the late 80s originators, but I feel their skill level is STILL rarely matched. I would also venture to add guys like Gift of Gab, MF Doom, Mos Def, Pharoahe Monch, Black Thought and Q-Tip into the discussion, but it may just be that they're some of my personal favorites and I love their styles.

Boofy!: Check out Chiddy Bang, they're legitimately talented but make some of the catchiest, pop/party-friendly rap I've ever heard.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah because they might not be on Recovery. I've given up on hoping for anything from them. Too much industry BS getting in the way of them just putting the music out.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
so so true. i'm still looking forward to Free Agent and Great Escape......even though i have no clue when they will actually come out. i've seen too many dates to actual think one is reliable.

Jane

Smash Hero
after thinking about it, i think i jumped the gun by saying em is in the top 10 of all time. :laugh: top 20 for sure though, imo

He's obviously very skilled but there have been A LOT of skilled emcees and the only ones that should definitely get a spot in a so called top 10 would be Rakim, KRS, Nas, possibly Biggie and/or Pac and possibly Jay-Z (love him or hate him, his longevity makes all that came before him seem like a joke, and his influence is undeniable). I would also probably throw Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane in there, not to have a bias towards the late 80s originators, but I feel their skill level is STILL rarely matched. I would also venture to add guys like Gift of Gab, MF Doom, Mos Def, Pharoahe Monch, Black Thought and Q-Tip into the discussion, but it may just be that they're some of my personal favorites and I love their styles.
see the reason i think KRS, kane, g rap, pac, and others that some would mention is that yeah, they were amazing back in the day, they created something, and for that they deserve respect, much much respect. but overall top 10? no way man, the game has evolved so much, really the only ones from back in the day (and i am biased of course) that i believe can still compete is rakim. biggie too but hes dead so theres no way to prove it. but everyone else, although they are HUGE icons in hiphop, and without them, it would not be the same, they are not the TOP TEN BEST EVER

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Krs is without doubt top ten -__- he's still putting out albums and i haven't read a negative review about them, either.....i mean i don't really listen to him but i know he's top 10. and rakim's last album....according to what i've read.....was....atrocious lol. he might want to hang it up. eventually, i'll listen to it, though.

eminem is one of the greatest and he has a good opportunity to crack top ten if recovery is actually dope. but as of right now, i don't think he is just yet. encore and relapse just can't be ignored....lol.

Jane

Smash Hero
well, KRS would be in many top 10s, just not mine. hes been too preachy over the years, for me at least.

and if youre referring to the seventh seal, it wasnt "atrocious", how could you say that when all youve read is reviews? it was just very... bland. lol

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
well, KRS would be in many top 10s, just not mine. hes been too preachy over the years, for me at least.

and if youre referring to the seventh seal, it wasnt "atrocious", how could you say that when all youve read is reviews? it was just very... bland. lol
there's only a handful of artists i'll listen to, regardless of reviews. rakim's not one. all the reviews i seen for 7th seal were like 2.5/5 or lower. i don't think i have to listen to it to in order to make a judgment. i go based off reviews for albums i think are questionable.

and i'm going based off an objective top ten, not subjective. krs nor rakim are in my subjective top ten because i don't really listen to them. but, when judging based off their accomplishments and consistency, they're easily top ten ever.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Top 10 best rappers is top 10 best rappers regardless of their accomplishments or how well their albums sold.

When I think of top 10 of all time, I think of who brings the best collection of bars out of all the other rappers in the game and who overall makes the best music.

I think Eminem is on that list.

Jane

Smash Hero
lol, JB said it best - "we gotta strip these people of their legendary status. too $hort is a legend. but this says best rapper ever" etc etc

this is how i feel

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
lol silly pride at Jersey comment.

Any list that doesn't include Busdriver is just wrong. His articulation, his flow, his meter, his voice, his occasional singing, and the subject matter he covers are all miles upon miles beyond the nearly all other rappers. His technical prowess over the art is unprecedented.

Then not to include Tricky is a crime within itself. His importance, though obscure within the states, is nearly unrivaled, as any rap that you consider "grungy" or "raw" can be traced back to his sound. He is a pioner in the art who undeniably deserves respect.

From there a handful of other pioneers stick out, but those are the only two that stick out to me as undeniable forces.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Like poetry, like percussion, two elements that when combined creates MCing, and any other elements the rapper might entail, rap is to some degree definable in terms of ability, though not in liking an artist. You should learn to separate the two.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know how you guys get off trying to argue who's top ten best rapper or whatever. we all have different criteria and attitudes towards the different personalities that hip hop takes. some like bars, others like style, others claim importance and influence, consistency, creativity, etc. all of us here know that we will never reach a consensus about who's who or who's what so I don't see the point in dropping names for the sake of dropping names.
I guess my point is, this whole discussion is a little frustrating since I'm trying to find new music and/or new insight into hip hop, but all I get is the same **** that people have been arguing about for years, the same **** that's on vh1 and such.

hey krazy glue, thanks for the recommendations! I've been meaning to listen to ATCQ, but I have no idea where to start. any tips?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
aye.....people like talking about it -__-just because it's repetitive and doesn't have an answer doesn't mean it can't be discussed. besides, the thread is for discussing hip-hop as well as suggesting new artists. when people just suggest new artists, the thread moves alottttt slower. i think it's good to have these rhetorical discussions here and there, for interests sake.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
everybody thinks their underground artist is special smh.
That's a little irrelevant. First off, Tricky is far from underground. He's a celebrity in the UK, far from obscure by any means. I didn't toute either artist for their obscurity, an obscurity or lack their of in no way showcases the quality of the artist.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Haha, I didn't think so lol.

hey krazy glue, thanks for the recommendations! I've been meaning to listen to ATCQ, but I have no idea where to start. any tips?
Scenario and Award Tour are definitely the ones to start with, but other good ones are Can I Kick It?, Electric Relaxation, Bonita Applebum, and Check the Rhime. Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are their two best albums, so if you're a "full album" kind of person then those are the two to check out.

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
I was gonna type this big long thing related this debate but grass cattle summed it up pretty nicely, other than the fact that i dont' see anything wrong with discussing it. bottom line everyone has their opinion of what should be taken into account when discussing a theoretical "top 10" list, most of which include more than just skill level.

if we're gonna debate things that can't be answered easily, how about midnight marauders vs. low end theory? low end theory is definitely my favorite, but i would probably recommend midnight marauders as a beginning listener, i think it may be easier to get into, low end theory's template doesn't vary as much, though IMO it's genius and i wouldn't change it for the world.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i was just referring to bus driver when speaking of underground artists. and personally, since about 99 percent of the things discussed in this thread has to do with american hip-hop, i see no reason, when discussing a top ten, or even top fifty, to include international rappers. i mean, i listen to aussie-hop and can talk about how hilltop hoods and bliss n eso are influential in Australia, but, seeing as they aren't as well known in america as in australia, i see no need to include them, nor make an argument for them. international rappers are pretty much put on the same level as underground artists.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I really don't know how you guys get off trying to argue who's top ten best rapper or whatever. we all have different criteria and attitudes towards the different personalities that hip hop takes. some like bars, others like style, others claim importance and influence, consistency, creativity, etc. all of us here know that we will never reach a consensus about who's who or who's what so I don't see the point in dropping names for the sake of dropping names.
I guess my point is, this whole discussion is a little frustrating since I'm trying to find new music and/or new insight into hip hop, but all I get is the same **** that people have been arguing about for years, the same **** that's on vh1 and such.

Because the majority of hip hop heads all list either Tupac or Biggie as their number one to ever do it out of pure coincidence...

No, all top 10s won't be identical or even close for the most part. However, you'd have to be stupid to not see that someone like Tupac is the embodiment of hip hop and is deserving of a top 10 spot. Same with Nas. There's no completely right or wrong list, but some are completely discredited with the inclusion or exclusion of certain rappers.

My point was that Eminem is amongst the latter.

Top Bottom