• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Why not? There seems to be enough evidence....I mean the only reason I'm curious is cause I heard people talking about this stuff and then tried to defend Jay-Z and they told me to watch Run This Town and On to the Next One vids.

Curious....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why not? There seems to be enough evidence....I mean the only reason I'm curious is cause I heard people talking about this stuff and then tried to defend Jay-Z and they told me to watch Run This Town and On to the Next One vids.

Curious....
I think it's silly for a conspirator to leave clues in nationally broadcasted music videos...

I like how Lupe has the pyramid with the eye on top in his vid for like 2 seconds and half the comments on the video are instantly about illuminati.

I bought a $1 soda today from the vending machine. My dollar had the pyramid and all-seeing eye on it.

I must be illuminati...:(

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
anybody heard about Zimbawe Legit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vk3N7PILio
I find them to be really cool! does anybody know music like this? it's kinda like conscious rap or whatever. I like the style.
Nice. Interesting jazz undertones. I'll have to check them out.

If you like jazz rap, you may like A Tribe Called Quest, Brand Nubian, and/or Pete Rock. You might also like Black Moon and/or The Roots.

You've probably already heard of it, but there's a particularly famous song produced by Pete Rock called They Reminisce Over You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

soap

Smash Hero
yo jane those headphones u listed before. have u tried out and listened to all of them?

i'm usually skeptical to buy stuff online when i can't try it on.

i just bought some koss portapros from best buy, but they started getting uncomfortable on my ears a few hours later. This is mostly due to my ears being weird and sticking out (think will smith lol)

any way i should've known they would start hurting after being bent back for a while, but they sounded good and were only 30. i'll just give them to my sis

i gotta go with either some giant "around ear" phones that completely engulf my ear, or buds. i'll prolly need both actually for running and stuff

im using my stock sansa buds now (lovin my clip+, plays flac!)

but want something a little more engrossing thats super comfy.

best buy in store selection is sooo bad...

rhan

Smash Hero
So I got into an argument with a kid on facebook how Em was NOT the best rapper ever.

Does anyone want to second this motion or fight thier case?

Linguini

Smash Master
So I got into an argument with a kid on facebook how Em was NOT the best rapper ever.

Does anyone want to second this motion or fight thier case?
I have no interest in debating, but that claim could be defended very well. Em's skill as an emcee combined with his world presence and ridiculously large following makes him a strong candidate for the best rapper ever, and even stronger for best rapper ALIVE for sure. "Best" is a pretty vague word though.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
he's definitely not :) every now and then, an artist comes out that's so different from everyone else that they attract their own following, most of whom barely listen to rap. eminem, kid cudi, lupe, etc, just to name a few. most of these people's opinion on rap are, frankly, invalid :laugh:. i know plenty of people that only listen to rock that only like eminem and say he's the greatest. don't get me wrong, em is ****in dope. just not the best ever. top 30? yeah. top 20....not sure. top 10, nah.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol real talk, i'm def not qualified to make that kind of judgement since there are various rap artists i have yet explored. But from what i've heard thus far. That's what I think

rhan

Smash Hero
In my opinion and argument torwards Em. He is goo but it only when he comes out with his deep songs. Any other song is about ****** his mom or some other bull**** that is just for entertainment purposes to begin with. I use to listen to him hardcore back in like middle school. Then I actually listened to what he was saying in his songs and it's not even cool half the **** he says. Most of the facebook arguments I had was against like 2 white guys 1 white girl and 1 black guy. The female only listens to punk rock n such genres and stated that he's the ****. The black guy states that he's good enough to be a top ten and that he's been going through **** in his life (like losing his best friend Proof) and he was just putting stupid songs out there as a "stress reliever". The main white guy was diq riding his *** saying he's the best over everyone but Pac, Biggie, and Jay Z. But he's only listened to that mainstream bull**** and hasn't really gone to the roots of hip hop. He stated that Em was a better story teller then Slick Rick. -_- And the only person on my side was actually my best friend lmao. My argument was that he's not even as good as everyone rides him for but his deep songs are awesome and the only tracks I would fux with.

If I offended anyone for saying "white guy" "black guy"... Deal with it. I'm both races.

But yeah tl;dr -

Em is good when it comes to his deep songs but his other songs are utter bull****. People kinda overestimate him.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Rakim - originator of lyricism :)
KRS-One - philospher of rap
Kool G Rap - originator of gangsta rap
Big Daddy Kane - SWAGGER lolol.
Scarace - (working on a description)
Chuck D - Public Enemy....nuff said.
Ice Cube - He made west coast rap
Nas - no explanation needed :)
Pac, Biggie - Not huge fans of either but i can't deny their influence and talent
Jay-S - ....yeah lol.

damm, rhan. i'mma read that in a second.

edit: I forgot about slick rick!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
There's a distinction to be made between pioneering and excelling at something though. Rakim was the trend setter for lyricism, Cube did bring that west coast gangster rap to the forefront, KRS does drop knowledge but does that alone make them deserving of being in the top 10 ever?

Not to knock those dudes though, they're all deserving of respect, but Em can compete with any of them.

Except the GOAT Nas

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol true. but the guys i listed pioneered as well as excelled in rap. they were leaps and bounds ahead of anyone at the time. i mean, of course pioneering isn't the only factor which is why the sugarhill gang isn't on my list lol. em can compete with the greatest but i don't think he's top ten when factoring influence, originality, popularity, and consistency. close, but top ten? not sure. some of these dudes are still consistently putting out quality music (according to reviews. don't really listen to some of them :crazy:)

soap

Smash Hero
em is not consistent.

original? he used to be

I also feel like alot of his music is just fake. like he is just saying it for attention.

he is still the **** tho lol. sometimes I am in the mood for creative bull****

i'd put him in my personal top 10. but i am not the ****ing encyclopedia of rap

Linguini

Smash Master
There's a distinction to be made between pioneering and excelling at something though. Rakim was the trend setter for lyricism, Cube did bring that west coast gangster rap to the forefront, KRS does drop knowledge but does that alone make them deserving of being in the top 10 ever?

Not to knock those dudes though, they're all deserving of respect, but Em can compete with any of them.

Except the GOAT Nas
Agreed, Nas is GOAT imo.

Blu, your either really ignorant or really stupid if you think em isn't top 10.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just to clarify, I'm not even an Em fan, but the guy is simply really talented at being able to put words together effectively.

Tracklist? Not sure of authenticity...

Horrible features. No Slaughterhouse? :(

Agreed, Nas is GOAT imo.

Blu, your either really ignorant or really stupid if you think em isn't top 10.
*you're

It's just his opinion. Doesn't mean he's either ignorant or stupid.

rhan

Smash Hero
So my intentions was to just discuss and debate about Em's place. I didn't want to bring harsh words into this..

To clear the air a bit.. Who here heard Em spit on Drake's over beat? (I think the track was called something like "Disciple" or something like that) **** was hype.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Just to clarify, I'm not even an Em fan, but the guy is simply really talented at being able to put words together effectively.

Tracklist? Not sure of authenticity...

Horrible features. No Slaughterhouse? :(
i'm pretty sure that's not it. i heard T.I was supposed to be on it but he's nowhere on there. also, the song with d12 was supposed to be called hit me with your best shot.....according to wikipedia. i could have sworn slaughterhouse was confirmed as guests :(

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Em is not top 10. KRS is not just top 10 for dropping knowledge. He's one of the best liver performers, and an excellent battle rapper (see: The Bridge Is Over). BDP is legendary.

Em is 13th I think on my personal list.

And Em's prime is not > everyone's else's. Biggie's prime > Em's prime.

@ ~N9NE~

Is your name in any way related to tech n9ne?

Top Bottom