• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

$mike

Smash Ace
you don't know anything about music if you think kanye's 808s style was a "cash-in" on the autotune trend.

that album is a style of its own

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
for real, that's like saying musicians in the 40s and 50s were just cashing in on the electric guitar trend.

autotune or no autotune, songs like Say You Will (6 and a half minutes, about half of which have no vocals or lyrics) or Bad News (the majority of which is instrumental) aren't really typical pop songs from that era of music (or typical pop songs in general). They are dark, brooding and atmospheric songs about losing people.

and besides, if 808s (a musical album) is not a piece of art, then what is it? "I don't like it, therefore it's not art" is the smarmiest and most pretentious thing someone can say.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I liked 808s. I'm still not feeling MBDTF though. I think if I put it on during one of my horribly ****ed up days, something will click for me.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
MBDTF definitely isn't the perfect 10/10 album everyone was saying the year it came out, imo. it's really good, but there are some weak spots on it compared to some of his past albums. I really like the big epic songs like Lost in the World, Dark Fantasy and All of the Lights. the more traditional hip hop songs are good too, but I think if more of it was in the style of those two songs it would be really special. with all the choirs and vocal parts. that's the best part of ye's production, all the soul vocals

my personal favorite has become College Dropout. that album is nearly perfect, minus the skits

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I agree. Listened to it today. So deep. Such a breathtaking spectacle of American Art at it's finest. The passion. The style. The creativity.

From front to back 808's & Heartbreak is a bonafied classic. A modern marvel in these times.

Edit: Gorgeous is my favorite track on MBDTF. Too sick. "Choke a Southpark writer with a fishstick"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I agree. Listened to it today. So deep. Such a breathtaking spectacle of American Art at it's finest. The passion. The style. The creativity.

From front to back 808's & Heartbreak is a bonafied classic. A modern marvel in these times.

Edit: Gorgeous is my favorite track on MBDTF. Too sick. "Choke a Southpark writer with a fishstick"
You just keep posting and not actually saying anything. I mean if you're not interested in actual discussion just stop replying to me lol.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hated 808's and I got it for free off a friend (Who wasn't fond of it)

I honestly feel that if 808s was instrumental I would have considered it one of his best, but the cheesy lyrics kill me. And yes, I understand that they're cheesy because he's being sincere but it doesn't really change anything. The actual songs themselves are fantastic and I'd have loved it to be a full instrumental album.

My favorite song on it is Paranoid by a significant amount but I still love the album as a whole.

His first 3 were just... soo... gooood.

Overall I like them best in the order. College Dropout is my favorite. That album... some of the songs literally make me just jump as high as I can (I actually hit my head on a lowered part of my ceiling last month listening to it as I cleaned my room. All Falls Down, Through the wire, Never let me down, Spaceship, I'm just gonna stop naming songs because I'm about to name every song off that album lol. Never let me down just makes me feel a ridiculous range of emotions whenever I listen to it. Oh and Workout plan is a favorite of mine (Ok i'm done naming songs)

Late Registration I actually listened to REALLY late I listened to it for the first time on my way to BASIC (and I'm about to hit my second year in the military so it hasn't been too long.) That was REALLY dumb because I had Heard em' say stuck in my head for a whole 2 months but no opportunity to hear it. It's really solid and has some low points addiction is pretty forgettable although it has a good beat. We Major is one of my overall favorite Kanye songs, there's just something about that beat/orchestration that gives me shivers (the good kind.) Random thought: Kanye went SO HARD on Diamonds are forever forgot to mention that earlier. I think it's one of his strongest songs lyrically at the time. Celebration makes me laugh and i really like the beat/orchestration too. I think a lot of that gave the second album a unique sound that no other album had. All of them are pretty different though.

Graduation was amazing to me and was what MAINLY got me REALLY into Kanye. Now, it sorta pales compared to his first 2 IMO (I still stand by the possibility i burnt myself out on it since i listened to it too much). Stronger though, man, I wanted that to play everywhere I went, like be my life anthem. That song was amazing and I personally consider it one of his best ever. Wasn't really feeling his lyrics though. They didn't seem memorable enough. They stood out but that =/= memorable. College dropout had lines that made me

Graduation still had a few though, don't get me wrong.

MBTDF I thought i was in love with until I realized there were only like 4-5 songs I was crazy about. Monster by a large margin, Power, then All of the lights and Dark Fantasy. Whenever I listen to it I only listen up til monster and turn it off. Runaway pissed me off because it's like 9 minutes long in the middle of the ****ing album and I hate the latter half of Runaway so i always have to manual switch it up instead of just let the album run. He's just humming random staticky **** into the mic for like 5 minutes :rolleyes:

I respect the song for it's objective goodness but i personally don't like it. I also respect All of the lights for being IMO the most well produced and epic song on the album but i just love monster more. I play it whenever i'm training my MK and Bowser and Nicki (who I dont have a problem with but am not particularly a fan of) destroyed that track. She was on that SSJ2 Gohan **** when she wrote that.

/big post full of my opinions

Also: Last Call = Yes. A favorite track of mine (can't help it, College Dropout was too good.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
man, the last half of Runaway is pretty much my favorite Kanye moment of all time. I can't believe I've heard so many people hate on it. It's not random noise, it's variations on the scale/chord progression that has been present throughout the entire song. It's basically a guitar solo, except with autotune/vocoder vocals. It's brilliant. and it goes on for like 4 minutes.

I guess if you're a big hip-hop guy that might turn you off but man, what a pretty little interlude it is.

as far as MBDTF goes, my favorite flip flops between Lost in the World and All of the Lights. Probably Lost in the World because it doesn't have Kid Cudi in it. I don't like Blame Game too much at all. Gorgeous doesn't really do much for me, particularly the beat.

Graduation used to be my fav Ye album too. It's still pretty solid, but the last couple of songs on it are weak.

I disagree about the lyrics of 808s being cheesy. Sure there are some stinkers in there I guess, but every Ye album has those.

"When I grab your neck, I touch your soul" is a very very very good line.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
hey, thanks for that. where is that beat from btw? i remember it from somewhere.

also, lmao @ dem lips

Im not sure where it's from actually. I'm trying to look up the instrumental but I tend to get Kendrick Lamar instead of Ab-soul since he is the leading artist in TopDawgEnT. But it will take time before they reveal it. I got the album the same day it came out on itunes.

Jane

Smash Hero
smiley... next tourney we're hella discussing kanye west. I had no idea you were such a big fan. Ye is easily one of my favorite artists, so yeah, prepare for some lengthy conversation next time I see you lol

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
smiley... next tourney we're hella discussing kanye west. I had no idea you were such a big fan. Ye is easily one of my favorite artists, so yeah, prepare for some lengthy conversation next time I see you lol
Yeah, bro, definitely. Yeezy is my favorite rapper i would love to have some in-depth discussion on how good college dropout is his albums

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Yo, Real talk... I'm diggin Iggy Azalea... I think she will become a big soon... I'm rockin with her. She goes sooo hard.

Plus, I think I wanna get with her... yup... I do....she bad

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
you guys get the news. J.cole and Kendrick Lamar will be making a new album together!!!

Iv'e waited for this for a long time. They already recorded 4 songs already.

soap

Smash Hero
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Flocka live

I don't fux with his music at all, but seems like it would make for a stupid good time

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
this beat is amazing

bei maejor - lights down low
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaedWP9rbTc
The beat by itself is alright. what really makes this song for me is the chorus and just the general singing/vocal effects. I really love the "lights down low" part. sooo pretty. it wouldn't be so pretty without the singing though i don't think.

I also finally listened to Project 80. holy **** man, I love it.

Jane

Smash Hero
The beat by itself is alright. what really makes this song for me is the chorus and just the general singing/vocal effects. I really love the "lights down low" part. sooo pretty. it wouldn't be so pretty without the singing though i don't think.
alright alright let me rephrase -- this song is amazing. you're right, the singing is really good and it blends into the beat in a powerful way. the chorus too, is really nice. so yeah, the two parts (the beat and the singing) combine to make something better, but imagine hearing a good rapper go off on that beat... it would be wonderful.

Jane

Smash Hero
its been relatively inactive in here, with random little spurts of activity... you just happened to come in at the end of one of those spurts :p

That was a nice little tune though. The video was cool too, I love watching old footage of life back in the early 20th century.

Also, sup morino :yeahboi:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Slaughterhouse performance was dope. Shook hands with my favourite rapper, great night.

Seeing Kendrick in June and KRIT in August, maybe Evidence in July. Can't wait.

Next Wednesday might go see Drake n JCole n Flocka.

Kinda hype.

Should I be?
Go. If you get a chance to see anyone you remotely like live go for it.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Just downloaded Ab Soul Control System, so gonna give that a listen sooner or later. I feel bad not being able to support the artist on independent albums.. but when you're more on the broke side last thing that you're really worried about is buying albums.... well I mean.. unless that's your only way of getting any new music that is. ;\

soap

Smash Hero
I'm driving to Detroit June 9 to see Nas and DMX

Belly in the house

lool at that vid. smh at people disappointed about this. If they listened to any Nas he talks about doing nasty **** with questionable women all the time. This does not surprise me.

I'd still do Nicki, but she is admittedly getting stranger looking by the week.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Man, Lift Off aggravates me.

The Beyonce hook is pretty much orgasm in audio form.

but what the **** are Kanye and Jay doing. why is Kanye trying to sing on the same song as Beyonce? what is he thinking on this song? it sounds terrible and is some of the stupidest emptiest lyrics i've ever heard

Jay's the only part of the song that remotely approaches anything like a "verse" but it's still hella wack.

I also hate how there's a big buildup with the countdown thing, but it doesn't really build up to anything at all. I was hoping for some kind of climax or, something.

I would rather just hear "WE GON TAKE IT TO THE MOON TAKE IT TO THE STAAAAARS" 80 times in a row than the other parts of the song.

Top Bottom