• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero
illmatic. No nas album will ever top it. It was his debut and it really set the standard and raised the bar. Stillmatic is just another [quality] nas album. but there wont ever be another illmatic.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, I honestly don't listen to Illmatic that much. yeah yeah "classic" "will never be topped" etc. etc. My most played Nas joints are Stillmatic, Lost Tapes and It Was Written. Stillmatic is probably my overall favorite.

I don't get the hate for Smokin!

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
illmatic. No nas album will ever top it. It was his debut and it really set the standard and raised the bar. Stillmatic is just another [quality] nas album. but there wont ever be another illmatic.
Hold up. I have a pretty strong memory of you saying Illmatic is the most overrated album ever, nigga. Can't let that slide -__-
I don't get the hate for Smokin!
I like the track. But in comparison to the other tracks on the album, it's a bit stale. Can't say Purple wasn't a better track. I still dislike Rule more.

Honestly I think I listen to It Was Written more than Stillmatic. But Stillmatic is like the only album where I can tolerate the intro lol.
Aww man that It Was Written intro is so bad. Nas has the worst slave accent I've ever heard.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Aye DAMN THESE CHAINS "WHATCHU MEAN DAMN THESE CHAINS?"

looooool idk what the hell was the deal with his intro's on the first 3 albums, even though Illmatic's was okay.

Jane

Smash Hero
Hold up. I have a pretty strong memory of you saying Illmatic is the most overrated album ever, nigga. Can't let that slide -__-
lmaoo i knew you were gonna come at me xD

it is definitely given too much hype. people act like its the holy grail of hip hop. its not. however, it is still a classic album and part of the reason the 90s is considered the golden age.

also i just sneezed and burped at the same time. **** was crazy.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I love the part after the slave part tho. 1996 back up in this *****...

Yo son I'm playin with the 52

so chill
Yeah that first track is my fav. Love the flamenco guitar beat.

"fake thug no love"

The most overrated album ever? Probably The White Album by the Beatles or Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

In hip hop, I would say either Ready to Die, Straight Out of Compton or Illmatic

Jane

Smash Hero
i really feel like both of big's albums live up to the hype. straight out of compton perhaps. illmatic i feel is the winner.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I disagree with Ready to Die and Illmatic. I'd say Jay-Z's Blueprint when people go as far to say that it's Jay in his prime. That or yeah.. maybe Pac's albums.. lol

Don't get me wrong I love Pac's music but at the same time people do go too far with it saying that it's the best music ever made and all that. He's up there but not the pedestal that people put him on.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Illogic is slept on. He is one of the best in this entire industry at story telling.

Hate In A Puddle

Cold November Day

For example.
Listened to both, I like the first one a lot. Second one is real good too but it's real easy to lose my attention in this lol.

Also

Nas - Here They Come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZaLCLKY0Us&feature=fvwrel

and

Nas - The Second Coming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQ_u9q0tvg

Idk where these came from for sure but it's speculated to be intended for I Am, idk why the fuck is these were unreleased...

Also a freestyle from Nas, Blu3 is probably gonna like this post as much as I did xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTtyOjuroIg

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
what IS the most over rated album ever? hmm... all of pacs albums? :troll:
You already answered the question, no troll face necessary. It's always funny whenever someone says Pac is the greatest ever. I ask them why and they always say some **** like "Maynnneeeee He was just so goodddd" and then just walk away like that answered the damn question.

Nah but seriously, I'm gonna say....Paid In Full...Boom, niggas. Of course, I'm biased because I didn't like the album :troll:

We should do most overrated artist next :embarrass:.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ready To Die has so many classic tracks. Everyday Struggle and Unbelievable alone >>>>

Doesn't get more overrated than Wayne.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't think calling someone overrated is an insult to their talent. I'm a humongous Nas fan, but Illmatic is still hella overhyped even if it is really good. Same with Em, and hell, a lot of artists.

Whats some of his best tracks? I wanna check him out
Masta Killa or Lil B?

Masta Killa kills every song he's featured on imo. He only had one verse on Wu's 36 Chambers, and it's the best verse on the album.

both his solo albums are pretty tight

some other good tracks of his own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUk37oY4fag&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifClxpICgeY&feature=related

his feat on Rae's "Kiss the Ring" is awesome, and of course he kills it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3WKsxTJSw

soap

Smash Hero
Pac wasn't technical, but he had emotional content

he had aggression and charisma at the same time, and he was funny. I didn't really like when he got all crazy super paranoid, that stuff is kinda weird to listen to

But I don't think he was over rated. Pac is Pac, he really did have a huge influence on a ton of people. You can't really argue with that.

Also, Nas is writing a memoir called "It Ain't Too Hard To Tell"

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you're talking about lyrical skills and **** then yeah I guess you could say Tupac is overrated, but that's just because idiots who don't know anything about him ride his ****. He's an icon though, and his **** is real, and in that way I don't think he's overrated at all.

I love AZ, he's so underrated, but there are hella underrated artists.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Nobody really SHOULD be talking about his lyrical talent tho, lol. They have no credibility anyways if they're calling him overrated cuz he's not super lupe lyrical.

I dunno of artists that are really underrated but rather artists that need more shine. Hopsin and his crew, Joe Budden, elZHi, Big Boi, Crooked I, Asher Roth, Skyzoo...a few others I can't think of.

Overrated: Kanye, Busta, Eminem, Young Money in general (outside of maybe Nicki Minaj), Dre (anyone who thinks Detox is gonna be good is nuts), Fab, Game, Jada (slightly overrated, and only in some circles...), Raekwon, Snoop (NObody Is still checking for a Snoop feature nowadays), Lupe, Andre 3K (same deal as Jada), Royce Da 5'9 (Overrated by himself, lmao), Wiz, Tyler the Creator, and Lil'B.

Btw, anybody fans of the OLD oldschool ****? I'm talmbout Tribe called quest...Naughty by Nature...be honest...

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Overrated: Andre 3000

Underrated: AZ. He can spit as well as Nas but doesn't get any kinda acclaim for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7eY1iX05A&feature=related

Does that nigga sound overrated to you?

And AZ is pretty underrated... I haven't listened to anything besides Doe or Die and Aziatic though, I should listen to some of his other albums maybe... the ones that have been received well anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqW-lzUs7k like this, I like this.

And I disagree with Kanye, (older) Em, Busta Rhymes and Royce da 5'9" being overrated....

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Lol at Royce being overrated, he'd have to be rated first. No one genuinely rates Royce as one of the heavyweights of the game. He has the technical skill most definitely, he's just very hit and miss at times.

Shout out to Alby for the Stimuli suggestion.I'm suddenly very tired with Sky's music. Don't know why.

Busta is a good call. Despite being in the game for so long, dude has just been getting by with spitting at a million miles an hour and spewing nonsense.

Jada had the ability to genuinely be top 5. He has so much talent. He's just used it horribly and made all the wrong career moves, not in terms of who he's associated himself with, but in terms of his own sound and direction. It's been far too stale and uninspiring. Any LOX tune is still straight crack though.

I don't think Joe is necessarily underrated, I just think the vast majority barely give his music a chance at all. It's a real shame.

KRS 1's delivery puts me to sleep, yet people love to sing his praises.

MY GAWD, I just remembered, JAY ELECTRONICA. People ready to sell their grandmothers for his music and it is the most soul achingly mundane music I've ever heard. Shout out to Just for the great production, Jay Electronica just kills me.

Oh yeah Raekwon and his utter nonsense is up there. OB4CL is overrated.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Said nothing 'bout older Em.

Currently, everybody on my list is overrated in one way or another. If we're talking entire catalogs...then that's an entirely different story.

Busta and Royce are slightly overrated to me...Royce isn't all that amazing nowadays aside from a verse or two here and there. His flow is still on point, but he rarely ever says **** anymore...which is ironic cuz he's like...at the height of his career right now. Compared to what he USED to be, he's pretty overrated tbh. He's still pretty nice tho...loved his verse on Take From Me from BME.

And I usually dislike Busta features. His albums are pretty solid, but he features on EVERYTHING and rarely ever adds much to the song. Had the worst verse in this track, easily.

Edit: Forgot about Jay Elec, lol. He WAS overrated, but practically doesn't even exist now.

Joey's always gonna be underrated to me, simply cuz of how much I like his music. I feel like he should be up there with the top artists already. Em and Lupe would be the same way, but they actually are top artists already.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Royce... not.. being good? Apparently you haven't heard his verses on Fast Lane, Above the Law and Loud Noises.. he kills a lot of shit. lol idk what you're getting at unless you're talking about his latest album which I'll plead the 5th because I haven't listened to it yet. I wanna buy it and support it but my credit card isn't up and ready yet.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Royce... not.. being good? Apparently you haven't heard his verses on Fast Lane, Above the Law and Loud Noises.. he kills a lot of shit. lol idk what you're getting at unless you're talking about his latest album which I'll plead the 5th because I haven't listened to it yet. I wanna buy it and support it but my credit card isn't up and ready yet.
Royce Da 5'9'' on Loud Noises said:
Wait wait, did I just go almost four bars without talking about my big ****?
The other day me and your thick ***** had a great date and we ate cake
And then we walked and then she tried to jack me off but she lost
Cause she couldn’t handle my shake weight,
Royce came nowhere near killing it. He just has impeccable flow.

Matador, I love Joey just as you and agree he's far deserving of greater respect and acknowledgement, it's just I genuinely believe if anyone listens to MM1-3 with a open mind, then they will acknowledge how gifted he is. So it becomes a case of giving him a fair shot as opposed to underrating him. They never give him a chance.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, I hear u, N9NE. In that regard, I can definitely agree.

@MBlaze: I haven't heard Success is Certain yet either, lol. I'll prolly buy it as well just to support dude next time I get a chance.

I didn't like Royce's verse on Above the Law or Loud Noises, quite honestly, lol. I think he had overall better verses than Em on the majority of the songs on BME, too. My only issue with Royce is that he used to be incredible. He had content, lyrics, flow, delivery, all that good stuff that makes me giddy. Death is Certain, BE1 and BE2 were amazing.

His latest stuff (BE3, Street Hop, Verses on SH album) were pretty mediocre next to those three projects. He's still a good artist, and I still check for him, but the fact of the matter is that he's at the height of his career at a time when he's releasing his lowest quality (but still pretty decent) music.

Top Bottom