• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Eminem could be GOAT if he cut out those horrible lead singles.

Even so, what Eminem can do with a mic... he's up there. I'm not particularly a fan, but still.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Eminem > Cage. Eminem's had a number of different rap styles. i can't wholeheartedly think that he just straight up stole cage's style......but then again, i don't really like cage so meh lol. besides, have you ever heard of Esham? he started that whole acid rap stuff....and he's from detroit : ).

but, yeah, he's definitely not the best rapper alive. that title belongs to Nas : ).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Definitely not Nas. Dude's sick, but...

put it this way, when's the last time u listened to God's Son?

Nastradamas?

Streets disciple?

.Marik

is a social misfit
Eminem murders Nas in terms of lyrical potential and creativity.

Sorry.

Eminem usually murders everyone when it comes to those specific areas.

Along with Immortal Technique, I'm agreeing with Suspect.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
LOL new jacks.

NAS IS THE GOAT. Matador your logic is ridiculous.

Whens the last time you listened to encore? or relapse? or even the **** eminem show. Jesus christ there isn't a rapper alive that doesn't have mediocre releases.

And I'm not a hater, I love SSLP and MMLP as much as the next kid but honestly anyone saying Em > Nas is a newjack and part of the 8mile generation.

Illmatic and It was written were just too **** influential.

And IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE IS TRASH. STOP BEING BRAINWASHED. REGURGITATING CONSPIRACY BULL**** IN EVERYSINGLE SONG WITH LITTLE TO NO REGARD FOR FLOW, CADENCE, RHYTHM IS NOT DOPE!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'd pick Nas over Em.

Discography? Nas. Eminem has produced some horrible tracks. Someone show me a wack solo Nas joint.

Creativity? Em can flip it, I agree. But Rewind, I Gave You Power...Nas is creative on a different tip.

Lyrically? Multis, lyrical dexterity and all that definitely Em. Nas' lyrical ability however is so seamless.

Nas is hip hop. Nas is the GOAT. Show me a better all round artist....and I'm not even a big fan of him like that. It's just the man is flawless. Seriously.

& Immortal Technique is over rated. I heard him, I loved him. A couple months later and bam, never listened to dude ever again.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
aye yo, god's son and streets disciples were good cds. let's get that out the way......but uh.......nastradamus.......had to be one of the worst albums i've ever heard lol. but eminem has the luxury to be creative because....well.....he doesn't really talk about sh*t in his lyrics. he's dope. no doubt, but he's not the best out. put it this way lololol. when's the last time you listened to encore? eminem show?.......well maybe not eminem show. that had a couple good tracks : ). but relapse was straight *** though >__>

Immortal technique is good but his flow is non-existent, bruh. That 3rd World cd was so mediocre.

edit: i finished this after jobus' and n9ne's responses but yeah, i agree with them.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Aside from Just to Be Different, Sidetracked & Better Me...HH was ehhhh.

The Soul & Under The Sun were decent...the others I just skip when they play.

HH was Joe's weakest project.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I listen to Pray For Me, Do Tell, I Couldn't Help It, Blood On The Wall (would have been better if the 2nd verse wasn't about Prodigy), Happy Holidays, Adrenaline, Angel In My Life.....

even the rest are cool apart from The Future....

*waits eagerly for Jane's long post*

*even though Nas is the goat*

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@ Blu3, I'll keep that group about the list and not Joey lol.

You're not feeling Mood Muzik 1?

Through The Wire
Find A Way
Sing For The Moment
So Lonely
This Is For
Rest In Peace

You don't feel those tracks?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'm currently going through all the tracks you mentioned from padded room and mm1 to see if i underrated them or anything. i'll respond back once i'm done : ). i know i like This Is For. i heard that on the album before the album.

side note: why is tahiry wildin out? she keeps makin vids about joe....joe keeps makin songs about her.......two ****ed up people need each other.

edit. Joey already made a "The Future". don't see why he had to make another *smh*. every i suggest that song to someone, i have to be so specific when telling them which to listen to.

Jane

Smash Hero
first and foremost: everyones favorite rapper will be different. and, usually, your favorite rapper of all time, is the artist you consider the goat. this will be different for everyone and i completely respect that. whether your favorite is nas, biggie, pac, hov, joey, em, whoever it is, even if its lil wayne, thats fine. do what you do.

however, i consider there to be two goats. your own goat (see above), and, the goat that you think the hip hop community collective should agree upon for the sake of conformity.

now, you make be thinking "i dont give a f what others think, [insert rapper here] is the goat and thats the end of it"

which is fine, but i believe that if we are going to argue/debate over who is the goat, it should be a debate about the "whole hip hop community" goat, not the "my favorite" goat.

so, with that said, we have to consider the whole scheme of things if we really want to come to an agreement. we may never agree, and thats fine, but we have to think about this very important question - what are the pre requisites for even being considered for the goat position?

by all means, you guys should contribute pre-reqs and criticize mine if you feel the need, but i think this is something we have to ask ourselves before we decide upon something, but anyways here are a few i believe must be considered.

1. longevity - has this person been around the block a few times?

2. lyrical ability - i'm breaking this down to two categories

2a. lyrical tech skill - does this person consider assonance, alliteration, consonance, time signatures, etc?

2b. lyrical mindgames - does this persons lyrics make you think? do you have to listen to his songs multiple times to really understand? how deep do his lyrics go?

3. versatility - can this person make many different types of songs with different subject matter or are they just stuck under one or two "niches"? i.e party rap, conscious rap, battle raps, etc

4. track record - how many mediocre/below average does this person make? do they release the hottest song of the year and follow it by releasing doo doo the next week?

5. respect - is this person respected, and considered the goat by many/some?

i cant think of any more atm, but im sure you guys could help out there.

now, you may or may not care who i consider the goat. but im telling you anyways!

ive actually discussed this earlier in the thread with someone, but i consider the "hip hop community collective" goat to be rakim. probably the longest running active rapper in hip hop, insane, complex lyrics (since the beginning and now still), a song for every occasion (how could you not when youve been in the rap game since 86), and besides biggie and pac, i cant think of anyone that has the respect rakim has.

oh and in case you were wondering, my "personal favorite" goat is Big L. he didnt even have longevity (unfortunately ): ), or really much versatility, but nonetheless i consider him to be one of the goats, and is my favorite on my "goat list"

now, on to responses~

eminem? you mean the worlds biggest pop star rapper who got famous by stealing cage's lyrics and style
pop star rapper? naaa.

and getting famous by stealing cages lyrics? youre heavily oversimplifying things, aside from the fact that cage is not the reason he became famous. he was nothing more than an influence, everyone has influences. eminem would have still been great even if cage didnt even exist.

Eminem > Cage. Eminem's had a number of different rap styles. i can't wholeheartedly think that he just straight up stole cage's style......but then again, i don't really like cage so meh lol.
agreed

Definitely not Nas. Dude's sick, but...

put it this way, when's the last time u listened to God's Son?

Nastradamas?

Streets disciple?
lol agreed

Eminem murders Nas in terms of lyrical potential and creativity.
well not so fast, there, i wouldnt use the word murders, thats a bit harsh. i think em beats nas in terms of lyrical tech skill, but nas beats em in terms of lyrical mindgames.

LOL new jacks.
quit hating

Whens the last time you listened to encore? or relapse? or even the **** eminem show. Jesus christ there isn't a rapper alive that doesn't have mediocre releases.

And I'm not a hater, I love SSLP and MMLP as much as the next kid but honestly anyone saying Em > Nas is a newjack and part of the 8mile generation.
hater

i agree, both of those albums had a bigger impact than any of ems cds, MMLP comes close, imo.

And IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE IS TRASH. STOP BEING BRAINWASHED. REGURGITATING CONSPIRACY BULL**** IN EVERYSINGLE SONG WITH LITTLE TO NO REGARD FOR FLOW, CADENCE, RHYTHM IS NOT DOPE!
hater ;D

Someone show me a wack solo Nas joint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYjsWBIR_IM
just one of many

Creativity? Em can flip it, I agree. But Rewind, I Gave You Power...Nas is creative on a different tip.
agreed

Nas is hip hop. Nas is the GOAT. Show me a better all round artist....and I'm not even a big fan of him like that. It's just the man is flawless. Seriously.
rakim?

Immortal Technique is over rated. I heard him, I loved him. A couple months later and bam, never listened to dude ever again.
aww, i like him.

aye yo, god's son and streets disciples were good cds. let's get that out the way......but uh.......nastradamus.......had to be one of the worst albums i've ever heard lol.
yup haha

but eminem has the luxury to be creative because....well.....he doesn't really talk about sh*t in his lyrics. he's dope. no doubt, but he's not the best out.
haha just because he likes to make up raps about random gruesome stuff its not ****?

put it this way lololol. when's the last time you listened to encore? eminem show?.......well maybe not eminem show. that had a couple good tracks : ). but relapse was straight *** though >__>
D:

honestly i loved relapse. my mom, insane, must be the ganja, deja vu, beautiful, all fire. and then with refill he finished it. elevator had some real lyrics.

Immortal technique is good but his flow is non-existent, bruh. That 3rd World cd was so mediocre.
yeah it was pretty mediocre, it had a few hot tracks tho, but overall yeah.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
LOL new jacks.

NAS IS THE GOAT. Matador your logic is ridiculous.

Illmatic and It Was Written were both classic albums imo, and he has a ton of great tracks pass that (One Mic is one of his best)...I have dude's entire discography and listen to most of it still...I'm not saying Nas is far from GOAT status by any means...

But he has so many misses that go along with his hits that it takes him out of the running imo...Jay said it best on Takeover.

I know that I, since God Son, will get hyped over a Nas album about to drop, love it for a week or so, then it'll slowly gather dust. Think about it...Hip Hop is Dead? I don't listen to it anymore at all. Untitled...maybe a track or two. Illmatic or It Was Written? Put the whole thing on repeat, definitely. There's a huge difference.

I don't have the same problem with Eminem albums...even Encore has more tracks that'll bring me back to the album than Nas'. I love the dude's work, but it doesn't have the same pull for me.

Edit: And all that aside, Em at his best > Nas at his best. His verses on Renegade? Till I Collapse? No Apologies? His verses on Words are Weapons and Revelation?

Suspect

Smash Hero
Um who ever is dssing Relapse/ Relapse-Refill... Those sold alot, Relapse was 2nd to Jay-Z BP3 in sales iirc.

Im still bumping that cd till this date, its actually in my car right now, dude has a lot of hot joints on there my fave being "stay wide awake"

great post by Jane btw

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i don't know why you people are bugging out over better thans and who's the best

total waste of time.
How is discussing hip hop a waste of time? We're sharing opinions and viewpoints on music that we're passionate about. I don't expect anyone to drop their favorite rapper for mine or even to agree with me.

Just talking about hip hop is fun to me.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Eminem > Cage. Eminem's had a number of different rap styles. i can't wholeheartedly think that he just straight up stole cage's style......but then again, i don't really like cage so meh lol. besides, have you ever heard of Esham? he started that whole acid rap stuff....and he's from detroit : ).

but, yeah, he's definitely not the best rapper alive. that title belongs to Nas : ).
don't know what you mean by acid rap...but cage has had been glorifying drugs since 88 lol.

eminem def stole cage's style though , to the point of portraying himself in a straight jacket in mental a ward,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGm8UEb4JCA >>>anything Eminem has ever done IMO

cage vs eminem debate is highly depenedent on preference though, I just prefer the dark grimey bizzare style that cage has, eminem is certainly talented, I just think he's a ***** ***** so it influences my perception of his music, cage is also a sellout ***** too though no doubt about it.

Anyways onto the GOAT(for a splitsecond I thought this was a reference to Earl Manigault when I first read you guys saying in in context to your opinion of the best rapper, then I realized it was an acronymn lol)

@JANE'

RAKIM! very good choice, dude has one of the most amazing flows ever, his style is so relaxed and natural, seems like he spits without effort and I think he is definitely a top choice for GOAT!

however I sincerely believe that Daniel Dumile aka DOOM aka Viktor Vaughn aka King Gheedorah aka Zev love X is the GOAT
and a level above everyone currently alive in all areas

1. Longevity: Formely known as Zev love X in he was featured in 1988 on the Gas Face from 3rd Bass

he released his first album with his brother in a group called KMD in 1991 Mr Hood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN9CW26KNwA Humrush from Mr Hood

and then Black *******s again with KMD in 2001 (scheduled for 93 but was cancelled by elektra because of the lyrics and cover art ironically the same week Subroc was killed while crossing an expressway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdubgJ-eGuw sweet premium wine from black *******s

after sub rocs death doom abandoned the hip hop scene for a period and then remerged in the late 90's freestyling at Nuyorican Poets Café with a stocking over his head under the alias MF Doom. then later created an Iron Mask to hide his face at performances according to dumile the mask is a way of removing the image from music

"It don't matter what I look like, what chain I got on, how I'm dressed, nothing--it's just the microphone and the spitfire."

under the alias MF Doom he released several singles on the legendary Bobbito Garcias fondle em records in the late 90's then released Operation Doomsday in 1999

Dead Bent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL5cun2kQ6M&feature=PlayList&p=8CC159823578E155&index=12

" and still drop more jewels than schools do
Or even TV news that's designed to fool you
"

real talk.

Anyways in 2003 he dropped take me to your leader under the alias King Gheedorah the three headed monster from space aka monster zero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vET-sG1McCE the fine print

"did he stutter like rookie yes-men? <<--lol
Or did he just bring the butter, like the cookie chessmen "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9lwW6Tp5MY&feature=related final hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRn9BRo4Igw&feature=related

"King Geedorah, take me to your leader
Quick to claim that he not no snake like, "Me neither"
They need to take a breather
He been rhyming longer than Sigmund the sea creature"

^^lols

next album he drop was Vaudeville Villain under the alias Viktor Vaughn in 2003 which is obviously Dr Doom's Birth name. But since he had already dropped operation Doomsday under the alias MF Doom this took place in a parallel universe to preserve continuity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETHb-ISI9o&feature=related

"Catch the beat too ridiculously
People think he study levitations true mystery" <<--lol Edward Leedskalnin reference

"he only came to save the game like a memory card"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKosGREtTY&feature=related Change the beat

"First thing they notice when they come to is that their Bling is Gone!,

Then they start to remember the Klingon With the Rings on"

^^^Greatest line ever^^^

"Good googly moogly, see that loogie?
Yeah, but keep it on the D.L. Hughley
You don't watch her, he might Houser like Doogie
Just to cut her loose like Mitsurugi!"

lol Zappa and misturugi reference

"Doom cheat the game like Walk Thru"

next to be released is the album that many people consider to be his Magnum Opus

Madvillany out in 2004 produced by Madlib was indeed arguably Dooms finest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY ALL CAPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9-RXbQymk Meat Grinder

"borderline schizo sorta fine **** though..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS1cggllfig&feature=related Great Day

" Looks its going to be a great day today
to get some fresh air like a Stray on a straight away"

^^- ( amazing imagery)

"its easy as pi 3.14
one more one false move and they done for"

Venomous Villain came next again under the alias Viktor Vaughn also in 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgw0W5FHrs&feature=related fallback ***** fat

"memorize the elements
Keep the mic sterilized, terrorize with eloquence
and mellow eyelids"

MM FOOD was next to drop an anagram for MF Doom every track in this album has something to do with food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGI1mag2ZE one beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5vaHVD2-w&feature=related

"Real Rhymes not your everday Hologram,

Even when ribs were touchin , never swallowed the Ham"

(Doom abstains from Swine, rhymes about not eating ham come up in every album)

"don't eat pork in the streets of new york"

"its all a big scam to make you eat pig ham"

"never knew the price of ice or what swine cost"

"let the pork stop I got the clear meat, the vodka"

"forgot who they talking to, Too much Pork stew"

"He don't eat gelatin, hot or cold ham"

"Coughin to a coffin?, might as well scoff the pork then"

etc etc. but yea fun fact.

ok now this brings us to the AdultSwim album he did with Dangermouse, pretty amazing if your a fan of adult swim, ATHF sea lab 2021 etc. guest appearances from Masta Shake on this album and A rap from meatwad he also dropped an EP Occult Hymn shortly after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2_SkseXtAo&feature=related ATHF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIggvDVt_eU&feature=related Mince Meat

"Spittin like a bionic sneeze that freeze vodka

Just to clear the air like the Ionic Breeze Quadra"

"Out for Daffy Duck bucks, Porky Pig paper
Bugs Bunny money or Sylvester Cat caper"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DxtdJsyjpU Crosshairs (ILL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXPP0aTavY&feature=related No Names

"leave em grieving blues like believing in evening news"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXAPsLJ6Kb8&feature=related El Chupa Nibre

"could hardly get a word in and
wonderin what the damage is to retain Harvey Birdman?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v71HEsE62A Perfect hair II from occult hymn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9AfrfZYUE Space Ho's

The most Recent Album that came out last year is Born Like this now dropping the Metal Face for simply DOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pp6PysRNM Batty Boyz

(BATMAN/SUPERMAN/TIGHT WEARING SUPERHEROES/RAPPERS WHO USE THEIR BODIES TO SELL RECORD DISS TRACK!!!)

"Wit Green Goblin got the Bat Cave Robbed,
Bust in Batman Head Bobbin Slobbin Robins Knob)

illest diss ever?^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8HcVzZm1E0 Cellz (intro by Charles Bukowski one of the greatest poets/writers who has ever lived, if you don't know him get at him he is real as ****)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdqBZdk2yc Gazillion Ear (produced by J Dilla)

"Fools, the Roach was never dead"

"In any event it's fake like wrestlin'
Get em like Jake The Snake on mescaline"

and that concludes the longevity criteria I have to do homework, go to bed etc, but I will write a more in depth post on lyrics, if not tomorrow then friday.

To bring more weight to my submission for the Goat heres a video of Mos Def reciting Doom lines in awe at how massively awesome they are.

"I'd bet a million dollars on DOOM against Little Wayne" -MOS DEF

"That **** is incredible"-mos def after reciting a doom line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBIvIDnnv8

and a lyric check from DOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZGJ-l74RU&feature=related

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
so maybe you guys could help me out. I'm trying to find more hip hop music that uses different dynamics, like the way the verses in One Mic go from quiet and reserved to loud and intense, then intense and loud to quiet and more reserved. Most tracks I listen to are usually the same intensity/volume all the way through.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I see it this way, Rakim is the pioneer, he shaped the mould, he laid the foundation....and for that he deserves his recognition. But just because he was the trend setter doesn't mean he was the best at it.

To call him a GOAT is a small step too far imo. I don't think he's creative, I don't think he can switch the flow. I don't think lyrically, he was the best.

I know there are a few Big L fans here but Big L .... again, just seemed stuck on that same flow to me.

& I disagree Jane, I don't think most people consider their favourite artist to be the GOAT. Joey is my favourite artist by a mile, but awhile ago I realised that doesn't mean he's the best, he's just my favourite, that simple.

The GOAT shouldn't be who you like the most, it's who is most deserving of that title. People shouldn't allow their preferences to influence their decision.

@ Matador, could Em do a NY State of Mind, a Nas Is Like, a The Message, a Undying Love... I agree Nas probably couldn't do a Renegade verse as good as Em, but you can easily flip it lol. Those songs >>> any Em song.

Nas' music is for the soul I swear. You're all probably thinking wtf is 9 on lol. If you had to choose one artist to embody hip hop, it would be Nas imo, no one personifies the genre like Nas.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Um who ever is dssing Relapse/ Relapse-Refill... Those sold alot, Relapse was 2nd to Jay-Z BP3 in sales iirc.
lol album sales has nothing to do with the quality of the cd, man. the massacre by 50 cent went diamond....that album was trash. BP3 was mediocre too. sales =/= quality.

Em at his prime is not better than Nas at his prime -___-. both Nas and Em, after their first 2 albums, went down in quality of music. their 3rd albums (I Am... and Eminem Show) were decent and both of their 4th albums sucked. I don't care what anyone says, Encore was a terrible cd. It had potential but once you got to about track 6, all the tracks were just ****in horrendous after that. same with Nastradamus. but that cd as a whole was just bad. i deleted the whole thing off my comp.

The thing is, Nas was able to bring his quality of music back up, which is why his album ratings have gone up. His biggest problem is that his instrumentals tend to be weak. Untitled had to have some of the best lyrics I've heard over the most bull**** instrumentals lol. BUt God's Son, Streets Disciples, and Untitled were all good CDs.....Hip Hop is dead was, i guess, decent. should've been a concept album though. a lot of the songs had nothing to do with hip-hop being dead or dying. just some other **** lol. but anyway, Nas at his prime(Illmatic) would rip Eminem's head off when talking about lyrics, delivery, rhyme scheme complexity, and lyrical mindgames......:chuckle:

there's no way in hell MF Doom is the goat. sorry. his influence on rap is just not comparable to someone like nas. he may be dope
i don't like him
but i can't really name any artists he's had a major influence on, personally.

.....i personally don't see what all the hype concerning big l was all about....

*runs* :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrG9af53_A <-----has a dope *** beethoven sample :)

i'm curious. how old is everybody in this thread? i'm wondering if it's like age difference that's leading to different opinions on who the goat is.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm 20.

The era your brought up in influences what music you're exposed too, but if you check for everything, then you should be able to make an unbaised decision.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm 19.

If you didn't like Relapse, it's prolly why me saying Em > Nas sounds a bit outlandish, lol. Lyrically, Em is on a plateau that not many can reach. The whole murder tip was a way to rhyme however he wanted with no real focus on the content;

just straight spitting over beats and putting together words that SHOULDN'T rhyme and making them actually sound nice. For someone like me who likes the lyrical wordplay...that album gets listens from me. Just not in my car or on speakers...
Nas' music is for the soul I swear. You're all probably thinking wtf is 9 on lol. If you had to choose one artist to embody hip hop, it would be Nas imo, no one personifies the genre like Nas.
QFT. His ability to give every track he's on that feel is something I can't say any other rapper has without sacrificing the beat or lyrics.

I dunno, maybe it's a closer comparison than I thought...I just hate the fact that I like a lot of Nas songs and like all of his albums (despite how much I seem to be bashing Streets disciple, Nastradamas and God's Son, I loved all 3 albums when I got them and still do.), but he hasn't had the same feel to me (pause) since Illmatic and It Was Written.

Not that he's become boring. I know boring. He's not boring, dull, or any of that. Just not the same.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I'm 19.
I dunno, maybe it's a closer comparison than I thought...I just hate the fact that I like a lot of Nas songs and like all of his albums (despite how much I seem to be bashing Streets disciple, Nastradamas and God's Son, I loved all 3 albums when I got them and still do.), but he hasn't had the same feel to me (pause) since Illmatic and It Was Written.

Not that he's become boring. I know boring. He's not boring, dull, or any of that. Just not the same.
QFT : ). I don't really know what nas can do to get back to his illmatic days. lyrically, i won't say he's too far off. the only thing i can say is that his choice in beats is just terrible. like, i'll listen to the acapella for some songs and it's amazing. the lyrics from Ghetto Prisoners are dope as ****. But the beat is just straight ***. i actually took the acapella for a couple of his tracks and just mixed them with a better instrumental :chuckle:. But i feel the same way about eminem not being able to recreate his old sound. i really do despise his new stuff........:grrr: but maybe he should just stop trying to produce and rap at the same time. stick to lyrics :).

there isn't a huge skill gap between em and nas. to say one would murder the other is just ludicrous........i just still think nas is better.

oh yeah. i'm 19 too. i dunno. the goat to me is between rakim and nas.....leaning towards nas just because i listen to his music lol.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Eminem and Immortal Technique have so many subliminal messages and can spit.

The rhymes are flowless, how can any of you think Immortal Technique lacks flow? You're delusional and I'll be straight up in saying it.

Maybe he does overwork the conspiracy theories, but hey, it's better than listening to mediocre popstar rappers who rhyme about money, cash, girls, and how swag they are.

I hate the music videos and annoying beats even more.

Eminem told an ENTIRE story with Stan, he usually focuses on his personal battles and feelings, but he can MURDER Nas when it comes to lyrical creativity.

Ever watched 8 Mile? Those freestyles against Papa Doc, Lotto and Lickety Splits?

Haha, Nas can't even touch that. When Eminem gets pissed off at people, nobody can TOUCH HIM. How is that not dope? How can Nas even try to scratch the surface at mustering comebacks and insults the way Eminem does?

Nobody can, Eminem is in his own genre when it comes to those specific aspects.

His mainstream stuff isn't as good, but then again with ANY artist, when is their new stuff better and more improved than their older, underground music?

Nas is sick, but he isn't the best, and frankly not even close to the best.

Personal opinions are subjective, but please try to take what I said in.

*Edit*

Allright, murder may be a bit extreme. But Eminem is better.

Suspect

Smash Hero
lol album sales has nothing to do with the quality of the cd, man. the massacre by 50 cent went diamond....that album was trash. BP3 was mediocre too. sales =/= quality.
Massacre was not trash and i dont even like 50 cents music really... if the quality of a cd is bad it wont sell much.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Eminem and Immortal Technique have so many subliminal messages and can spit.

The rhymes are flowless, how can any of you think Immortal Technique lacks flow? You're delusional and I'll be straight up in saying it.

Maybe he does overwork the conspiracy theories, but hey, it's better than listening to mediocre popstar rappers who rhyme about money, cash, girls, and how swag they are.

I hate the music videos and annoying beats even more.

Eminem told an ENTIRE story with Stan, he usually focuses on his personal battles and feelings, but he can MURDER Nas when it comes to lyrical creativity.

Ever watched 8 Mile? Those freestyles against Papa Doc, Lotto and Lickety Splits?

Haha, Nas can't even touch that. When Eminem gets pissed off at people, nobody can TOUCH HIM. How is that not dope? How can Nas even try to scratch the surface at mustering comebacks and insults the way Eminem does?

Nobody can, Eminem is in his own genre when it comes to those specific aspects.

His mainstream stuff isn't as good, but then again with ANY artist, when is their new stuff better and more improved than their older, underground music?

Nas is sick, but he isn't the best, and frankly not even close to the best.

Personal opinions are subjective, but please try to take what I said in.
lol Immortal Technique has no flow. He constantly goes off beat. I listened to him spit an acapella and he somehow still sounded off beat. Technique can be a great alternative to all that swag rappin **** but that **** gets old TOO FAST. Especially when there's no real difference in content between this track and the next. But...I am still a fan.

Eminem was a battle rapper before he was a rapper. he was undefeated for 6 months. but you shouldn't judge someone simply off how well they can rip somebody, otherwise all these battle rappers would be the best ever, huh? And those weren't freestyles. In the 8 mile extras, he mouthed the words while it played in the background.

Eminem cannot murder Nas. Have you ever even tried to listen to Nas spit a story? Go listen to Undying Love, I Gave You Power, Rewind, One Love, etc. Eminem can't touch nas on storytelling. Nas is closer to the best than Eminem is. Nobody is saying Eminem isn't dope. he's just not better than Nas.

Massacre was not trash and i dont even like 50 cents music really... if the quality of a cd is bad it wont sell much.
The quality of the cd has nothing to do with album sales; hence, all these underground rappers that are dope but don't sell.

ahhhh all this nas talk has me going through his discography :)

Top Bottom