• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
when Will People Learn...
You Are Not A Good Emcee Or The Complete Pakage Of A Skilled "rapper" If You Have High Album Sales.
It Just Means You Know How To Make Songs
There Are Tons Of People Out There That Are Lyrically Better Then 50 Cent But He Makes Good Songs.
Good Is In The Eye Of The Beholder.

Crank That

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Good Is In The Eye Of The Beholder.

Crank That
exactly...which is wh this discussion of whos the best is kind of dumb. I also mentioned "complete package of a rapper (lacks criteria) but you know what i mean.
To me jay and EM hold the making of the most "complete emcee" youd be blind to try and telll me otherwise lol.

Suspect

Smash Hero
well he said complete. Nas is nice but...when is the last time we heard from Nas? When is the last time Nas dropped something good? Can Nas drop a album a year and please his fans + others?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
so eminem's new music is attracting new fans to rap music? to me, his music lately has only been pleasing to his fans, if that. jay-z's been on a constant decline since his first album. he had a couple solid albums but nothing like reasonable doubt. jay-z can appeal to the masses but a lot of his songs don't have much substance because....well....that's not really what people are looking for and he's a panderer.

Are you seriously saying Nas hasn't dropped any good albums lately?....which is why his last few albums have higher ratings than Em's and jay-z's? i don't see nas dropping an album a year. i personally think it's dumb for any artist to do that. you run out of material too quickly =/

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I dont know if it is or not but i never said he was.

lol this 2010, his last official album was "Hip Hop is Dead" which was in 2006 so where is his good album at of late?
Untitled wasn't an album? and he's dropping distant relatives this year.

@N9NE - oh it's definitely coming lol.

I hope Relapse 2 is better than the first. Seriously, it was terrible. I really don't see how people said it was good. It had a couple of tracks (I only liked Beautiful but i'm leaving room :)) but the rest was kinda ****ty.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Untitled wasn't an album? and he's dropping distant relatives this year.

I hope Relapse 2 is better than the first. Seriously, it was terrible. I really don't see how people said it was good. It had a couple of tracks (I only liked Beautiful but i'm leaving room :)) but the rest was kinda ****ty.
QFT, Untitled >> his more recent efforts. Real thought provoking.

I liked Relapse. The whole crazy murder tip and voice turned me off to it at first...but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me.

Songs like We Made You are still incredibly horrible, we're still on the same page there, lol. I just like Medicine Ball, Stay Wide Awake, Deja Vu of course, Beautiful, Ganja, My Mom, 3am, Hello, Insane (Don't judge me :laugh:), and every song on refill except Drop The Bomb On 'Em. The lyrical prowess is still there, you just have to sift through the mounds of empty content.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQ9UqdFJnw

LOL SPEAKING ABOUT NAS.

Best verse of 2010 so far.

amazing track.

Wow this is 16 years since illmatic and Nas is still pushing the envelope with bar transition.
i guess n9ne posted this already.

LOL

Jay-z hasn't been dope since the Black Album.
Em hasn't been dope since Eminem show.

NAS IS STILL DOPE. ANDHAS MORE CLASSICS THAN BOTH EM AND HOV.

Jane

Smash Hero

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
QFT, Untitled >> his more recent efforts. Real thought provoking.
well yeah but his albums have still been good : ). Only track i didn't like on Untitled was We're Not Alone. this ***** was seriously rapping about aliens and shiz lolol.

I hope eminem just goes back to his regular voice and gets more producers. now that i know he's getting other producers, i have some hope for relapse 2 : )

Nas Albums > Eminem and Jay-Z albums :chuckle:

rhan

Smash Hero
I've exhausted all my Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifia, Wale, and Kid Cudi....

I need some new tracks to jams to... any suggestions?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've exhausted all my Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifia, Wale, and Kid Cudi....

I need some new tracks to jams to... any suggestions?
If you're listening to new school, check out J.Cole if you haven't already. Youtube "Young Simba" if you want a sample of his work, he's definitely legit.

well yeah but his albums have still been good : ). Only track i didn't like on Untitled was We're Not Alone. this ***** was seriously rapping about aliens and shiz lolol.

I hope eminem just goes back to his regular voice and gets more producers. now that i know he's getting other producers, i have some hope for relapse 2 : )

Nas Albums > Eminem and Jay-Z albums :chuckle:
I approve of that album, I still give it a listen every once in awhile.

Yeah, apparently Em's off the voice and DOES have new producers on his new ****. Gonna be hot.

The thing about Jay's albums is that none of them are the same. They all show growth and have different content in each, and that's something I can't help but respect. Also...you can't touch Reasonable Doubt...not with a 50 foot pole. That album is one of my top 3 ever. Regrets >>>>.

Everything pass that is moving forward bringing new content, branching out to keep from being repetitive or stale. Everytime Jay comes out with an album now, you can expect that it's going to bring something new to the table.

Nas, not so much. He's pretty much stayed in his one realm since his debut. He has good reason, there aren't many artists that can paint a picture like he does. Still though, there's something to say about an artist like Jay-Z that's been in the game as long as he has and can still present new perspectives.

It may not be the deepest **** you've ever heard, but you can't deny that he knows how to put together an album. Not to mention dude's insane live.

And you already know what i think of Em albums vs Nas albums XD

Untitled as in the N tape? lol please. another cd with nas trying to hard to get attention.
The name of the game is buzz. You create buzz around your name before your album drops, more people are talking about you and thinking "doesn't he have an album coming out?" before the release date. Nas does it with his album titles and controversial topics, Eminem does it with his ridiculous singles, 50 does it with a different beef right before every album comes out, Jay's creating buzz (good or bad, I dunno) with the whole Illuminati thing that they're talking about...

And even then, he didn't simply use the title just to get sales and drops the idea. He actually raps about the word and whatnot. Pretty ingenious from the standpoint of someone trying to sell a product.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
Get out matador nobody name searching you especially somebody that neva come to events son...
Im suprised you knowledgable about the rap game though..
Anyways about some of the previous post about nas being consistent from illmatic to now..
That is definately a narrow statement because the question is what is Nas consistent in??
Yes he is consistent most of the time with his flow, story telling, poetry, & deep thoughts..
But this def does not make him sicker than rap artist like Jay-Z, TI, Eminem, etc. just to name a few..
He lacks being diverse & very repetitive style thoroughout his career..
If you look at Jay-Z, throughout his career he is the most diverse rapper there is..
He can choose to be lyrical or rap for the mainstream crowd..
With his style, Jay can rap on any beat about any subject he wants & make the song hot..
As far as Nas he is basically just a lyrical rapper but with his style he is not able rap on any beat & make the song hot.. His style is very repetitive where he is limited to just being lyrical & rap on certain beats which is very boring & plain.. This is why he cannot appeal to a mainstream crowd..
But yea I dont want to get to in detail but yea Jay is the total package & a complete beast throughout his career..

Ohh yea Its been a good min since I listened to somethin new..
Who is coming up or underrated now in the game??
All i hear is some club music or just garbage nowadays??
Last rap artists I listened to that were beasts were Lil Brother...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Get out matador nobody name searching you especially somebody that neva come to events son...
Im suprised you knowledgable about the rap game though..
Lmao, I was talkin about you name searching yourself XD
But he has so many misses that go along with his hits that it takes him out of the running imo...Jay said it best on Takeover.
I'm not so conceited that I think people take the time out of their day to name search me, lmao.

And hell yea, what do you think I'm listening to on my Zune at Sassy's? Certainly not ur Wii's Rainbow Cruise music, LOL

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i second that. besides, it's way more interesting debating what artist is better than who than it is to randomly suggest new artists who most people don't care about.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
i second that. besides, it's way more interesting debating what artist is better than who than it is to randomly suggest new artists who most people don't care about.

we already know the artists of the past and what they made. I persoanlly would like to hear somebody new. All ive been hearing the last few pages is so and so arent as good as they used to be. New blood would be good. I ve heard about ****ing lupe 5 times in this thread ive heard nas 6 ****ing times in this thread lol

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol it's a never ending question that leads to different choices every time.

i mean song suggestions are cool end everything but so far, for me, most people haven't posted any artists that i like. they'll post single tracks that are good but i won't like the artist as a whole.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Then why have people been arguing whos the best...
The same reason Jane made this thread...to talk about HipHop. Even if it doesn't come to some conclusion, I like talking about HipHop. Don't you?

we already know the artists of the past and what they made. I persoanlly would like to hear somebody new. All ive been hearing the last few pages is so and so arent as good as they used to be. New blood would be good. I ve heard about ****ing lupe 5 times in this thread ive heard nas 6 ****ing times in this thread lol
Meh, if somebody has some new artists to post, then by all means go for it.

But if we have a good debate sparked, I'm not gonna piss and moan about them already being mentioned in the thread. I'd like to think we haven't talked about every aspect of every artist's every song already and have simply run out of stuff to say about them.

We haven't even talked about specific songs at all...

But w/e, my cousin raps. Let's talk about him. He's dope...Lil' Skizzer...

Top Bottom