• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
lol @ youtube comments. I've gotten into a ton of arguments with youtube dudes over rappers, especially over Chino XL. It becomes pretty obvious that they're pretty much following what everyone else does without giving any thought to WHY they actually like/dislike a rapper or album. Like...they say "Illmatic was a dope album! Nas' best!" and they never really even play it...they like it because they're supposed to like it. Those type of hiphop fans are the reason why Wayne is popular and people like Joe Budden aren't.

It's funny how many people actually believe Lil Wayne was a "new" rapper around when Carter 2 came out and everyone hopped on his nuts.

lol just saw what you did there
lololol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol @ youtube comments. I've gotten into a ton of arguments with youtube dudes over rappers, especially over Chino XL. It becomes pretty obvious that they're pretty much following what everyone else does without giving any thought to WHY they actually like/dislike a rapper or album. Like...they say "Illmatic was a dope album! Nas' best!" and they never really even play it...they like it because they're supposed to like it. Those type of hiphop fans are the reason why Wayne is popular and people like Joe Budden aren't.

It's funny how many people actually believe Lil Wayne was a "new" rapper around when Carter 2 came out and everyone hopped on his nuts.

lololol
Yup, this is the case with any genre of music.

makes me feel like a heathen when I say I like Stillmatic and It Was Written more than Illmatic.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Everyone else is already on the bandwagon. I swear it's the most irritating thing listening to his tracks on youtube and then scrolling down to read the comments. These fanboys make him seem like a god or some ****. I won't say he's terrible, but i've heard better :)

^^agreed. track was meh...
Youtube comments period are dumb, whats worse is listening to Instrumentals on there and seeing comments of people rapping to it lol.
I could bump Joell.
i cant *kanye vma shrug*

Jane

Smash Hero

lol the bandwagon is already overflowing bro

"Illmatic was a dope album! Nas' best!" and they never really even play it...they like it because they're supposed to like it.
ugh i hate this so much. but you know where its 50 billion times more evident?

tupac and motherf*cking biggie.

makes me feel like a heathen when I say I like Stillmatic and It Was Written more than Illmatic.

:crazy::crazy::crazy: WHAT?!?!?!?

.....jk :p

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Yup, this is the case with any genre of music.

you like stillmatic and it was written more??? blasphemy lol. actually, i can see why. both were pretty dope. all his albums were......except nastradamus. good god, that album was terrible lol

joell is actually pretty good. says some corny/predictable lines every now and then but still, he's not as bad as i thought. is it me, or does this ***** always talk about food? lol

tupac and biggie = the most overrated rappers of all time. of ALL TIME. *hands back the mic*

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Illmatic just seems TOO "classic" to me. So many people copped his style on it in the years since that it kind of soured the actual thing for me. It's awesome of course and probably "better" than Still and It Was Written but those are just more fun to listen to for me

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Illmatic just seems TOO "classic" to me. So many people copped his style on it in the years since that it kind of soured the actual thing for me. It's awesome of course and probably "better" than Still and It Was Written but those are just more fun to listen to for me
I can understand that. Truth be told, I actually don't like a lot of old rap.

S l o X

Smash Champion
bigpunnnnnnnnn.
I like Biggie more than Tupac but yeah they're both really overrated. 90% of my mp3 is mainstream, talk about itttttttttt

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Yeah but not all mainstream is bad. I'd say....up until about 2006, mainstream was good or at least decent. then that snap **** became too popular and now it's all about dance music. Actually i don't care that it's dance music. There's just no kind of lyricism involved in the tracks that makes it unbearable to listen to. But then again, i'm not even into dance music.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
LOL I could type a page of Joell food references.

Never really listened to Tupac. But I don't understand when people call him the GOAT. Lyrically he just wasn't that impressive.

BIG made great **** though.

But Big Pun >>>> the both of them. Put together.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Everyone else is already on the bandwagon. I swear it's the most irritating thing listening to his tracks on youtube and then scrolling down to read the comments. These fanboys make him seem like a god or some ****. I won't say he's terrible, but i've heard better :)

^^agreed. track was meh...
nah. your wrong.

sorry plz listen again. It's scary how talented drake is.

rhymes better than Jay
sings better than kanye

To say Tupac and Biggie are overated is a slap in the face to hip hop.

Guarenteed you weren't intellectually mature while they were alive so your saying that from a really new jack perspective.
They aren't you favorite rappers favorite rappers for no reason.

honestly Biggie's swagger changed the game
and rap has never seen another artist like tupac.

yeah their music seems dated ya'll are being disrespectful.

you think rakim sucks too?

Suspect

Smash Hero
drake is not THAT talented, when will people realize that wayne writes for and coaches everyone signed to his label..

To say drake is very talented is like saying nikki monaj is legit. Not buyin it

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
LOL I could type a page of Joell food references.

Never really listened to Tupac. But I don't understand when people call him the GOAT. Lyrically he just wasn't that impressive.

BIG made great **** though.

But Big Pun >>>> the both of them. Put together.
lol there's more to hip hop than lyrics.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
drake is not THAT talented, when will people realize that wayne writes for and coaches everyone signed to his label..

To say drake is very talented is like saying nikki monaj is legit. Not buyin it
Lol Drake's bars are so much better than Wayne's. There's no possible way wayne writes for Drake

He probably helps him with his career... wayne is the most popular rapper on the planet and knows how to make a hit. I would take tips from wayne. he knows the industry

Drake is out to make money, but who isnt.. really he's the handsdown the best mainstream rapper with any sort of buzz right now. Name one other mainstream rapper as versatile as drake?

Suspect

Smash Hero
I cant because you already answered it basically, look who drake has behind him.

Dude that just got signed to RocNation (J.cole i think is his name) i wouldnt be surprised if he started getting real popular soon.

S l o X

Smash Champion
nah. your wrong.

sorry plz listen again. It's scary how talented drake is.
I actually enjoyed the Drake track, probably one of my favorites.
rhymes better than Jay
sings better than kanye
His story telling ability is pale in comparison to old Jay or even recent Jay. Rhymes that make no sense? Sure, he's better.

Truth hurts.

Guarenteed you weren't intellectually mature while they were alive so your saying that from a really new jack perspective.
because they're everybodies favorite rapper. Most of the old good rappers that I can call legends are from East Coast. Tupac wasn't anything good in particular, maybe in the West though.

Spit truth, raw opinion and true G? Of course rap has.

nobodies saying old = bad. Rakim isn't overrated, far from it imo and yeah I'm probably the youngest in the thread but I can appreciate Rakim and any good lyricist.

10charmanders
/
Big Pun was definitely better than pac but again, you gotta appreciate them all.
I think Drake writes for Weezy if anything. Weezy been in the game since he was madd young and I can't remember how young but iirc he still had some nice punchlines back then so Drake writing for Weezy is kind of iffy.
/
J. Cole should explode soon, he's fire.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I don't see all this talent you see in drake. Also, it's not hard to sing better than Kanye -__- turn off the autotune and the shows over.

And saying they are overrated is not disrespectful to hip-hop. I'm not saying they were bad, but they are not the best 2 to ever do it. It always irritates me when rappers get asked "how do you think the rap game would be different if tupac and biggie were alive today?" because, in all honesty, things wouldn't be any different. between '95 and '05, all people ever rapped about was women, clothes, cars, guns, etc. Tupac would drop a great conscious song every now and then, but really, the bulk of his stuff wasn't any different from what was going on at the time. Lyrically, he really wasn't that impressive. Yes, lyrics aren't the only important part of hip-hop, but they are a major factor, if not the biggest one. Biggie.....can't say much on Biggie. Never liked his music. I think Rakim can actually be considered the GOAT. Also, i didn't say any of these rappers sucked. I said I don't like a lot of old rap, which is true. I don't think it's bad, but it's different strokes for different folks.

Jane

Smash Hero
But Big Pun >>>> the both of them.
pretty much.

honestly Biggie's swagger changed the game

yeah their music seems dated ya'll are being disrespectful.

i said biggie and pac are overrated, not that they suck, far from it. but (in my humble opinion) people ride both of their wangs so hard its not even funny.

did they both change hip hop forever? yes. are they the two most amazing things to ever happen to the game? hell no.

Jane

Smash Hero
I don't see all this talent you see in drake. Also, it's not hard to sing better than Kanye -__- turn off the autotune and the shows over.
lol who cares about kanyes singing.

between '95 and '05, all people ever rapped about was women, clothes, cars, guns, etc.
woah woah woah, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. ALL PEOPLE? noooo.

I think Rakim can actually be considered the GOAT. Also, i didn't say any of these rappers sucked. I said I don't like a lot of old rap, which is true. I don't think it's bad, but it's different strokes for different folks.
i think the general consensus is rakim is the goat.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I couldn't watch after 20~30 seconds but his music is great. All of his singles, albums, etc...

I wouldn't put him into greatest but he's definitely a good listen....and Talib Kweli is a beast too. (H-H♥)

Suspect

Smash Hero
why couldn't you watch after that?

it was basically him saying (and being confident) about being able to beat jay-z, wayne and kanye(which he already beat kanye) in a rap/freestyle battle. Then he ended the vid with a nice *** rap.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Lyricism isn't everything, didn't say it was, but when your arguing who the GOAT is, it's a factor.

It's widely believed that Drake ghostwrites/ghostwrote for Wayne.

Drake is good, but he simply isn't THAT good. That's all I'll say about Drake.

Wayne is horrible. Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNhtrXP-s4

Big Pun > Your life.

Mos Def, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to dude. Still need to catch up on his discography.

Jane

Smash Hero
nine: how is that proof wayne is horrible? lol, still a funny vid tho.

suspect: ohh yeah that, yeah that wasn't a battle. mos, of course, was better, but ye's freestyle was still really good (especially because he mixes in grips of magazines into what he was saying that whole time)

Jane

Smash Hero
i know that he did use that in another song. but i'm not sure if him "freestyling" it came first, or him using it in a song came first.

too lazy to investigate, oh well :p

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
wow. that lil wayne video was just terrible lol

on a side note, you guys should start posting links to artists that you think most people haven't heard about. i'm tryna broaden my rap collection ^__^ i'm at 20 gigs so far.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Off the top of the head, people you might not have heard of, Nino Bless is sort of dope, he whines too much though.

Termanology is ill.

Grafh is cool.

Kid Vishis is cool, although good luck finding his material.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I'll just post all the rappers i currently listen to (20gigs of music is alot btw, i need moar)

Joe Budden
Cam'ron
Jr Writer
Loso
Chamillionaire
Freeway
LUPE FIASCO!
Eminem
Rasaq

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Big L > Pun + Biggie + Pac imo.

Wayne can be decent when he wants to, he actually has some albums and mixtapes that I like. Dedications one and two, and Tha Carter are actually pretty impressive. Just...a barely above average rapper, claiming he's the best rapper alive, then having the audacity to get lazy and lower the quality of his already rather mediocre music?? That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Drake's sick, but people overrate him. He's a talented artist no doubt, but he's not that "best" anything right now. Not the most versatile, doesn't spit the best bars, isn't the most original...he's good but nothing to make me go "wow, GOAT potential!"

I personally agree with Stillmatic + It Was Written > Illmatic, even though I love all 3 albums to death. One Mic was my favorite song for a looooooooooong while, and it's still in my top 10. The same top 10 that Joey appears on like 4 or 5 times XD

The issue with Pac and Big are hard to address. When people refer to them as the best, it takes two meanings. The best rappers to ever grace hip-hop in terms of the quality of music? I'd have to respectfully disagree. But the best rappers to ever grace hip-hop as a genre of music and as a culture? Tupac and Biggie definitely, no one else even comes close to filling that spot. They helped define what it is.

But it pisses me off to see people trying to defend Pac and Big as the best rappers and just come up with bull**** responses. They weren't the best lyrically, though they were impressive.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Big L > Pun + Biggie + Pac imo.

Wayne can be decent when he wants to, he actually has some albums and mixtapes that I like. Dedications one and two, and Tha Carter are actually pretty impressive. Just...a barely above average rapper, claiming he's the best rapper alive, then having the audacity to get lazy and lower the quality of his already rather mediocre music?? That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Drake's sick, but people overrate him. He's a talented artist no doubt, but he's not that "best" anything right now. Not the most versatile, doesn't spit the best bars, isn't the most original...he's good but nothing to make me go "wow, GOAT potential!"

I personally agree with Stillmatic + It Was Written > Illmatic, even though I love all 3 albums to death. One Mic was my favorite song for a looooooooooong while, and it's still in my top 10. The same top 10 that Joey appears on like 4 or 5 times XD

The issue with Pac and Big are hard to address. When people refer to them as the best, it takes two meanings. The best rappers to ever grace hip-hop in terms of the quality of music? I'd have to respectfully disagree. But the best rappers to ever grace hip-hop as a genre of music and as a culture? Tupac and Biggie definitely, no one else even comes close to filling that spot. They helped define what it is.

But it pisses me off to see people trying to defend Pac and Big as the best rappers and just come up with bull**** responses. They weren't the best lyrically, though they were impressive.
Wow. Way to hit the nail on the head :) I agree.

Top Bottom