• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's English Voice

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
His best voice was in Assault. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJPDMvOMZw
His 64 version was British. Wolf is not British. At all...

Snake's voice needed to be like his original voice, considering how much he talks in his games, but I (being a huge metal gear solid fan) can hear the difference. It's too raspy.
Star Fox 64 was his first speaking role, how can you say that's "wrong"?

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
Because you don't always get things right the first time. I mean, with Fox, he technically made noises in Snes. Besides, it was his first ENGLISH speaking role. I know I am treading on dangerous territory bringing this up, but Naruto's english voice is crap. I still support Wolf for Assault voice.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
Disagree. I like the smooth villianous accent from the 64 version. This one sounds ridiculous.

Doesn't mean I won't use him, but I really do wish the US version of Brawl would include the Japanese voices like Melee did. =/
I think that too many people too often associate English Accent with Evil. Simply because Wolf had an English Accent didn't make him have a good voice. To those of you who haven't played it yet, I suggest you pick up a copy of Starfox Assault for the Nintendo Gamecube. There, you will hear Wolf sound his greatest. He's a total badass in it (and at least in my opinion the best voice in the game).

PCHU

Smash Lord
Not to sound better than anyone else, but I posted about this before his voice was publicly revealed on youtube.

Weird as it may seem, I was posting about how crazy everyone's voice is, and I specifically said:

"What next, Wolf is a cowboy!"

Sadly enough, my post came true.
This sucks, though I can get used to it.
But his FS announcement....it just doesn't fit him.
He should say something that shows superiority, or something evil.
HE'S A BAD GUY!
Like "Look at what I found" or something......

Juicy

Smash Apprentice
his voice works for him, wolf is a bounty hunter so a western "bounty hunter" voice works just fine.....

that being said though id still prefer the origonal, assault would of been fine too. ohwell, guess i'll just live with it

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Not to sound better than anyone else, but I posted about this before his voice was publicly revealed on youtube.

Weird as it may seem, I was posting about how crazy everyone's voice is, and I specifically said:

"What next, Wolf is a cowboy!"

Sadly enough, my post came true.
This sucks, though I can get used to it.
But his FS announcement....it just doesn't fit him.
He should say something that shows superiority, or something evil.
HE'S A BAD GUY!
Like "Look at what I found" or something......
Err... no. Wolf is indeed an egomaniac, but he is far from evil.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
I will be the one to take you down.

That is so awesome. I going to make that my catch phrase. :laugh:
Not to mention it's homage to his saying in Starfox Assault: "I already told you, I didn't come here to save you." (mentions it to Fox after saving his life from the Aparoids). He came to Fox's rescue simply because if anyone were to defeat Fox, it'd be him. "He'd be the one to take Fox down". Get it? In that sense, SSBB gets a gold star for past game references.

However, what's with people thinking he sounds western? I don't hear that at all...where's the Cowboy twang? He doesn't say "Ah'll bee thuh wuun ta take yew downn!" He just says it with a deep voice. The only line that sounds even remotely western is his "Playtime's over, Starfox!" line. And even THAT doesn't have a big twang. How does Wolf's voice translate to western, Cowboy, or any of the stereotypes people gave him?

While I don't LOVE the voice they gave Wolf (again, would have preferred the Starfox Assault voice), this one's alright...and does NOT sound western.

KafKa

Smash Rookie
I'd love to hear some Lylat Wars phrases, like: You're good.. BUT IM BETTAH!!
Or: Play time is over!

Oh well, at least they didn't screw him up as bad as they did with Pit and Ike.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I don't get what all the complaints about the Brawl VA's are for. They sound just fine, lets face it, it's better than having Japanese VAs doing english like in Melee. Wolf in Brawl does have a very subtle southern accent and it sounds just fine, Its not like a redneck accent or anything. Its not like complaining is going to fix it. just learn to be satisfied with what you get

Drack

Smash Apprentice
This is why I'm going to stick with the Japanese version of Brawl.

I know Japanese, and the voice actors are so much better and more fitting to the character personality.

This almost always seems to be the case. In every game or anime I've played with the option, I've used Japanese voices and English subs if there's a lot of complex dialog.

Mobman47

Smash Rookie
Not to mention it's homage to his saying in Starfox Assault: "I already told you, I didn't come here to save you." (mentions it to Fox after saving his life from the Aparoids). He came to Fox's rescue simply because if anyone were to defeat Fox, it'd be him. "He'd be the one to take Fox down". Get it? In that sense, SSBB gets a gold star for past game references.

However, what's with people thinking he sounds western? I don't hear that at all...where's the Cowboy twang? He doesn't say "Ah'll bee thuh wuun ta take yew downn!" He just says it with a deep voice. The only line that sounds even remotely western is his "Playtime's over, Starfox!" line. And even THAT doesn't have a big twang. How does Wolf's voice translate to western, Cowboy, or any of the stereotypes people gave him?

While I don't LOVE the voice they gave Wolf (again, would have preferred the Starfox Assault voice), this one's alright...and does NOT sound western.
I think his voice kinda sounds like sawyer's from "lost". Well not an exact match, I mean just by tone and accent. Kinda southern but not full on southern.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You make his voice sound a lot worse than it actually is. For one, there's a difference between redneck/hillbilly accents and the Western outlaw voice they gave Wolf. I'll admit, it might not go well with the way he fights, but it still fits his character. In the Star Fox series, the Star Wolf team are a band of outlaws, so they chose to make Wolf sound like some sort of rugged Western outlaw. I won't doubt that they could have done better, but some people like yourself are making it sound much worse than it actually is.
Yes, I am making it sound worse than it actually is, so what's your point? It's called exaggeration and emphasis. The whole point was to express my discontent with the voice.

And as far as I am concenred, it is some trailer trash bandit talk. Not some cool western outlaw talk. I'll get used to it. Not saying I won't, but it sure as hell doesn't fit his character.

Outlaw life style =/= Outlaw voice

They're going to be DLC after the game is released. Chill dude. (So yes, Darth Vader will be playable on the 360 eventually)
Oh... really?
...Wow... I'm a lot happier now =) Thank you for enlightening me.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
Dang they gave him his Command or what should be his command voice....

he speaks like a southern hunter with the Vermin and buggers......

Great Peppy was southern
Bill is now southern
now Wolf is southern

Whats with Star Fox and the South? :dizzy:
I was just thinking that. Even with super advanced technology, the south prevails. Well, except for Falco. He's gone New York on us.

Can't wait to hear latin lover Slippy! [/sarcasm] Seriously, the voices aren't that bad but I do miss the originals...

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Cheesy famous lines =/= good voice acting

When you ask how good the voice acting was in 64, they'll only give you quotes, but not the actual voice acting reasoning.

I still prefer Assault voices though, save for Leon and Krystal.

yuo

Smash Cadet
why doesnt nintendo just give you a choice between to the two voice casts (japanese and english)? anyway wolf's english voice does somewhat fit him.

Zacke

Smash Cadet
I really like his voice.
He have a really deep voice, I love it!

I also like Wolf's voice in Lylat Wars, it's just so cool ^^ ("Cont let yu do dat, stafax")

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
His best voice was in Assault. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJPDMvOMZw
His 64 version was British. Wolf is not British. At all...

Snake's voice needed to be like his original voice, considering how much he talks in his games, but I (being a huge metal gear solid fan) can hear the difference. It's too raspy.
...What crack are you on? David Hayter did the Snake Voice.
You can't spell Snake without David Hay....Nevermind.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
I thought it was fine when I heard it on youtube, just a bit strange (I had never heard his previous voices until after I heard this one). I think it's sounds better when you actually hear it when you have the game. It doesn't really sound so Texan or southern. In my opinion, it's one of the better voices in the game.

Top Bottom