• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf O'Donnell for Brawl: The only good choice for a starfox villain

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't see Falco being removed, he's more important than Krystal/Wolf anyways. In fact, if the other two Arwing pilots weren't a geeky frog and an old man we might of seen them in action in 'Melee.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I can't see Falco removed from Brawl for Wolf. I'd rather have Wolf, yes but, it's unlikely that Falco is removed at all.

D

Deleted member

It wouldn't make sense at all. Falco's played a massive role in all the games (maybe excluding 'Adventure where he comes in right at the climax). It's disappointing how they handled him, making him a "rebel" because of his mildly rebellious personality. Yeah, right, we need another animal wearing sunglasses in space and a female version of Fox with surgically enhanced breasts. Way to go, geniuses at Nintendo!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Smash Daddy said:
Way to go, geniuses at Nintendo!
Way to go, geniuses at Rare, you mean.

This is the same reason I can't stand the Donkey Kong Country games, Rare took the game that built Nintendo, then added a dopey sidekick, a wannabe-prostitute, a TOTALLY RAD SURFER DUDE!!!!!!!!, and a villain who's name is a terrible, horrible pun. Oh, and a boom-box, can't forget the boom-box.

They're very well-designed games, but dear GOD did Rare *******ize a franchise there. They must make their new emplyees memorize the Encyclopedia of bad cliches before starting.

EDIT - Stryks' sig would be better...eh, if you could tell who it was without the big "WOLF FOR BRAWL" tagline.

Saimdusan

Smash Apprentice
You still do fight him... but he's not really a villian, more of an anti-hero. You know, he was never the main villian or anything. Just a rival.

D

Deleted member

Way to go, geniuses at Rare, you mean.

This is the same reason I can't stand the Donkey Kong Country games, Rare took the game that built Nintendo, then added a dopey sidekick, a wannabe-prostitute, a TOTALLY RAD SURFER DUDE!!!!!!!!, and a villain who's name is a terrible, horrible pun. Oh, and a boom-box, can't forget the boom-box.

They're very well-designed games, but dear GOD did Rare *******ize a franchise there. They must make their new emplyees memorize the Encyclopedia of bad cliches before starting.

EDIT - Stryks' sig would be better...eh, if you could tell who it was without the big "WOLF FOR BRAWL" tagline.
After RARE left it was Nintendo that made 'Assault, which is actually ten times worse than 'Adventure. Fox sounds like a sociopath, all the characters look like an emo's nightmare and Peppy dies alongside the Great Fox in an explosion( both returning at the climax, with Star Wolf also inexplicably surviving death but not seen on-screen). The best way to go with the series is to make a game after '64, like a few years after it, explaining why Falco leaves and using the tried-and-tested '64 formula. Nintendo and RARE should've stuck with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset, as a few of their franchises are ruined now. Donkey Kong and Star Fox are examples of this, whilst Pokemon is the opposite. They need to change that formula.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Smash Daddy said:
After RARE left it was Nintendo that made 'Assault
You're not up on your SF info, are you?

Namco is the develper for StarFox: Assault, with Ninty producing it, the same setup under which Adventures was made. Nintendo, when they choose to make a SF game (see: 64, Command), knows what they're doing.

Smash Daddy said:
whilst Pokemon is the opposite. They need to change that formula.
While it's true that sequelitis can quickly lead to an un-fun experience (God of War to God of War 2, Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 2), Pokemon's the exception to this rule. The actual RPGs are consistently fun and addicting, always adding enough content to keep players coming back for more. It's a case of the original having such superb gameplay that too much change would ruin it.

P.S. Hey! I liked Snap! :(

D

Deleted member

You're not up on your SF info, are you?

Namco is the develper for StarFox: Assault, with Ninty producing it, the same setup under which Adventures was made. Nintendo, when they choose to make a SF game (see: 64, Command), knows what they're doing.
Ah. Namco, right. 'Command isn't as good as '64 by a longshot. Too much talking, no on-rails missions, no landmaster... '64 is better in every single way. The multiple endings may be interesting, but only half of them make any sense. Fox and Falco join G-Zero. :chuckle:

While it's true that sequelitis can quickly lead to an un-fun experience (God of War to God of War 2, Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 2), Pokemon's the exception to this rule. The actual RPGs are consistently fun and addicting, always adding enough content to keep players coming back for more. It's a case of the original having such superb gameplay that too much change would ruin it.
It's acceptable, but there's not enough improvement in places there should be. It looks exactly like the GBA Pokemon with 3D backgrounds, still using sprites with little animation themselves. The moves already look primitive after owning the game for a month. There's also a lack in motivation for the new Pokemon, seemingly they're getting worse with each game. You'd think they would use the touch screen for more too. The PokeWatch is useful, but it would have been more helpful simply to have the menu there. I'm hoping that the next game goes leaps and bounds past D/P.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think they should have made Assault WAY longer, I mean they gave us 10 missions! The controls were odd on-foot and the back-up still does nothing! They just fly in circles until some brain dead enemy chases them down until you help them, I really, REALLY wish there was a 4 player co-op mode in SF, it would make the experience much more fun.

As for Pokemon, I can't believe I bought into it up to FireRed. The gameplay NEVER changes, you can move from yellow to Pearl and probably not notice a major difference. The battles drag on the same way, you're still stuck with 4 moves per pokemon, you still have to catch pokemon the same way, it's just not fun anymore. I'd rather not catch 'em all again.

kaid

Smash Master
Ah, poor Red Exidus... you play, but you do not understand.

The underlying mechanics have changed TWICE since the days of R/B/Y, and new options for customizartion make all but Uber tiers fairly balanced, with the right build.

D

Deleted member

But there are so many casual gamers that do not notice these differences.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I think they should have made Assault WAY longer, I mean they gave us 10 missions! The controls were odd on-foot and the back-up still does nothing! They just fly in circles until some brain dead enemy chases them down until you help them, I really, REALLY wish there was a 4 player co-op mode in SF, it would make the experience much more fun.

As for Pokemon, I can't believe I bought into it up to FireRed. The gameplay NEVER changes, you can move from yellow to Pearl and probably not notice a major difference. The battles drag on the same way, you're still stuck with 4 moves per pokemon, you still have to catch pokemon the same way, it's just not fun anymore. I'd rather not catch 'em all again.
I agree about Assault's length and the backup doing nothing. However, I find the on-foot controls to be fairly good. Just takes time to get used to. A longer assault with more freedom since that seemed to be the goal, freedom that is, would have been a grade A game. Instead we have assaukt's 10 missions which throw you very little freedom to do much of anything and force you to do all but mission's end on foot. Then they thrust you into an Arwing to wage battle with X enemy. Just not what it should have been. 7/10 on it in my books.

Pokemon is addicting. No longer entertaining though. It got unpopular because people realized that your moving acroos little squares depending on luck to catch creatures that had become very ugly. G/S/C were good. R/S/E killed it.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
While I agree that Wolf is the only sutible Fox villian, I just dont think they will add him. it's a progression. First they added Mario and Link's primary villians(Pikachus if that's really what you would call Mewtwo, though I don't).

Now they have added another mario baddie and Kirby;'s foe. I'd say its less than likely that Wolf makes it in this Smash. however, I'd be willing to bet serious money that Wolf makes it to Super Smash Bros 4, when and if they eever make that game.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
While I agree that Wolf is the only sutible Fox villian, I just dont think they will add him. it's a progression. First they added Mario and Link's primary villians(Pikachus if that's really what you would call Mewtwo, though I don't).

Now they have added another mario baddie and Kirby;'s foe...
Wario, especially the Made in Wario version, doesn't count as a Mario villain anymore. But that's not my point here.

Read your post again. Go on.

Okay? See the problem? If each franchise's going to get a foe...you know what, I'm not going to explain it: your post is utterly ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

Mendez is right. If every franchise is getting an "extra villain", why would Star Fox not? Mind elaborating?

shazbot

Smash Apprentice
If Star wolf makes it i hope that they would take falco out or else we'll have 2 different clones of the same character which would be a new super smash low

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...wasn't he supposed to be in Melee, but cut out due to time or something? He has an appearance in the intro, I doubt that means much either way, but that would be my lame backup for my statement, considering I forgot the link to where I found this claim.
I don't see why he really has a BAd chance of getting in. Nintendo was going to listen to the fans, right? And he's highly requested(to my knowledge, at least), apparently was supposed to be in Melee...he's the "villain" so to speak so he would fit in good, I can't htink of anything that would stop him from getting in.
Now this probably has been discussed somewhere, but I'm been floating around this topic. I try not to be that random dude, but you gotta start somewhere...

Edit: And who said he would have to be a clone? Again, with my "listen to the fans" statement, they had a poll on this. "Clones"(loose terminology) were voted against. It's not like there has to be clones if they are in the same game. It isn't impossible to, I don't know...be a seperate character?

Blazer

Smash Ace
He would not be a clone. Go read this topic because I don't want to disscuss this again.

I believe your right, he was saupposed to be in Melee. I've heard that too.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
There are rumors about Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, and various others being Melee-bound, then cut for X reason. So while a possibility, not a certainty.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wario, especially the Made in Wario version, doesn't count as a Mario villain anymore. But that's not my point here.

Read your post again. Go on.

Okay? See the problem? If each franchise's going to get a foe...you know what, I'm not going to explain it: your post is utterly ridiculous.

Hold on chief. Yousir should read My post again.

i never said each franchise would get their own villain. I just said it's an order kind of thing.

What i meant by my post was Originally, the 12 character in SSB were representatives of their own independent frachises(excluding of course the fact that Mario Luigi and Yoshi are from mario and Pikachu and Jigglypuff are from Pokemon)

in SSBM, more characters from the original franchises were added. Mario recieved Bowser, Link got Zelda, Pokemon got Mewtwo, and Fox got Falco.

Just from pure speculation, I assume that this time around it was time to add characters to the other franchises(such as Meta Knight and Zamus, though i wouldnt call Zamus a different character I think you can get where i'm going with this). Since the Star Fox franchise already recieved Falco, I could guess that Star Fox won't recieve any more characters this time around.

this is why i think more Donkey kong/earthbound/F-zero etc charcters have a good chance of making it into SSBB simply to even out the number of characters from all of the franchises being represented in this game.

Of course, Mario characters have been added in every additional Smash Bros. game, so that completely screws my reasoning on why Wolf wouldnt make it. did that clarify my previous post enough?

EDIT: I'm not sure that wolf was supposed to be in Melee. of course i've never heard anything like that, so maybe it's possible?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ive heard lip, mach rider and balloon fighter were maybe in melee, but were cut out, though neve rheard about the wolf part...

and for the n00b that said that wolf would be a clone, I say:
CLAW BASED MOVESET use ur imagination!!

@Gamefreak: wait so ur saying, u think we wont get more kirby, sf, mario, zelda, pokemon, FE and so on characters? when there are SO many candidates like:

Bowser jr
Dedede
Wolf
Krystal
Midna
Zant
WW link
Lucario
Deoxys
Ike
black knight
and so on...

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ive heard lip, mach rider and balloon fighter were maybe in melee, but were cut out, though neve rheard about the wolf part...

and for the n00b that said that wolf would be a clone, I say:
CLAW BASED MOVESET use ur imagination!!

@Gamefreak: wait so ur saying, u think we wont get more kirby, sf, mario, zelda, pokemon, FE and so on characters? when there are SO many candidates like:

Bowser jr
Dedede
Wolf
Krystal
Midna
Zant
WW link
Lucario
Deoxys
Ike
black knight
and so on...
jesus god people quit taking what i'm saying so literally. I'm saying my opinion on the matter. based purely off of my speculation of the character additions from the two sequals of this game, even though we have seen very little of Brawl at this time, I would say chances are slim on franchises likes Star Fox or Fire Emblem.

I wouldnt say that about more popular franchises, like Mario(seeing as they added Wario, which may lead to the addition of Waluigi, who is to say at this point?) or Zelda, or Pokemon.

Those franchises alone bring in a lot of players, so the likely hood of adding three new Pokemon, Waluigi, and some random *** Zelda character is FAR more likely(notice i use the word likely, as in probably, as in I honestly has no clue but this is what i choose to believe) than the addition of Wolf.

You're putting words in my mouth. Read the phrasing of my post. I never said I believe that these franchises will not be built upon. I merely stated that it would seem that characters would be added to the franchises with only one character in the game before ones with 2 or more already i nthe game.

and ask yourself. are those really the canidates for this game. You really don't know. sure they are popular amongst the fans. But we dont really get a say in the matter.

Stryks

Smash Hero
...@Gamefreak: wait so ur saying, u THINK we wont get more...
I knew from the start that it was speculation, those I put the text in bold, u know the word think rite?

I knew it was just opinion, but Im sure we'll c krystal and wolf in brawl, im fearing maybe not wolf, but since many have wanted him since 64, it could happen...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
But how many franchises only had one character in Melee? Earthbound, Metroid, Kirby, and F-ZERO. Which franchises had only two? StarFox, Fire Emblem. I really doubt Earthbound's going to get alot of support, since it's very much a niche game. Metroid looks to be (and to an extent, already has) receiving more support, and Kirby already has another player. Personally, I don't think any other F-ZERO characters are worth it, but for the sake of the argument, let's say Goroh gets in. There, I've covered the franchises that received no upgrades since 64. But that's only like, five characters! When the game will hopefully have at the very least, 35 characters, what do you expect the rest of the spots will be filled with? Crappy filler characters from the Mario Party games just because Mario's a bigger franchise than StarFox?

Most, if not all of the represented franchises from Melee will be getting new characters (exceptions would be guys like Ness, who's by this point recognizable more from his Smash Bros. exploits than from his own game). Thinking that since in the last game Fox was cloned, and therefore we won't see any other SF fighters is a horridly obtuse idea.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ah, poor Red Exodus... you play, but you do not understand.

The underlying mechanics have changed TWICE since the days of R/B/Y, and new options for customization make all but Uber tiers fairly balanced, with the right build.
And those changes are....? They can't be that important if I went up to Fire Red without noticing. The most annoying thing about pokemon is that most level 100 battles end with 1 hit, it's almost a race to see who can get in the first hit.

But there are so many casual gamers that do not notice these differences.
I never bothered to play Pokemon on a hardcore level, especially when some one keeps starting all of mine over, battling isn't fun either so it wasn't worth getting hardcore in just to bore myself to tears with the same old 1 hit KO races.

Well... that and the fact that there's a new pokemon like, every 3 years. I've become immune to pokemon sequelitus now.

kaid

Smash Master
The were inportant, alright. In R/B, the Special stat covered both attack and defence, and their was no cap on Effort Values, meaning a properly trained Magicarp could Tackle an untrained Mewtwo to death. They fixed both of these for Gold/Silver

In Diamond/Pearl, they changed what moves used what stat. Before, the Type of the attack deturmined it, so that both Thunderpunch and Thunderbolt used Special attack/def, and both Hyper beam and Slam used the physical stats. Now, it's done on a per-attack basis, so Thunderpunch is physical, Hyper Beam is special, and so on.

Saimdusan

Smash Apprentice
I don't see what everyone has against Assault... Command was the worst iteration.

Oh and on developers

StarFox: Argonaut Software and Nintendo EAD
StarFox 64: Nintendo EAD
StarFox Adventures: Rare
StarFox Assault: Namco and Nintendo EAD
StarFox Command: Q-Games and Nintendo EAD

This is according to Wikipedia. Apparently, Nintendo EAD worked on all of the games except for StarFox Adventures, so you can't really blame Namco or Q-Games for Assault and Command, if you didn't like them. You can't even blame Rare for Adventures if you didn't like it, because Nintendo was the one who forced them to make it a StarFox game.

D

Deleted member

So RARE was the only developer for 'Adventure? I'm never buying any of their games ever again then.

Even if it was origionally not meant to be a StarFox game, it was hyped yet failed miserably. It also gave Nintendo the idea to take the series in this direction they're now taking it, with the people talking in their Arwings popping up from nowhere instead of being shown in their Arwing. And all All-Range Mode levels. And emo Falco.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Adventures was awful and it lacked the topic of this disscussion, the greatest Star Fox character, and the best pick for brawl, Wolf.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@ Saimdusan: Actually, I can blame Namco for Assault. The game was developed in Namco studios, not Nintendo, making EAD very much a supervisor of the project, only on a lesser scale than usual since they were dealing with another company.

EDIT - However, in the case of Q-Games, EAD would've had more influence as Q is but a lowly independent studio.

D

Deleted member

Adventures was awful and it lacked the topic of this disscussion, the greatest Star Fox character, and the best pick for brawl, Wolf.
Couldn't agree more.

Check out my updated signature!

D

Deleted member

What's to say both eyes don't shine like that and the eyepatch just covers it?

Anyway, I tried to make it look rough too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom