• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Witchhunt 1

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'm fairly confident it's Boo. Bessie's reaction to Boom's claim is too genuine, and there's too much unnecessary paranoia that would have to make it work. I still think the interaction between Boom and Boo page 1 was Boom trying to do damage cleanup / trying to get ahead of suspicion going Boo's way. And also their interaction at the end of the day was pretty fake.

So I believe we are waiting on you Chaco, if you still need to sort me. Also I believe it's lylo since scum can do two night kills (Plus Hunter).

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
What BF did on Page 11-12 was trying to clear sus from himself. The reaction between me and him is actually not at all like cooperation.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I basically thought that he was automatically scum and that I'd casted the hammer vote.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
That's the thing, there was no reason to think he was automatic scum. It's not coming from a place of ignorance

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
There was more evidence, until we finally managed to hang him, but he was Bomb and not Survivalist. You said you were Survivalist in #555, but then, you say you're Oracle.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Why was Sab not protected is my question? So is Bessie the protection target or survivalist? I don’t see FF jumping onto Bessie for protection unless she dropped a crumb I missed. Boy speculating Bessie as scum here though, Boom shaded her to hard for cred on me. I need to go back and look at it again, but it seems pretty TvS.
I don't think Sabrar was protected because I don't think the angel protection was active. This from the signup thread:
Additionally, Angels may only protect a Haunted player if there are more Angels than Demons.
I’m survivalist. KingBoo claims he has a hunter shot, which means I was targeted with a failed kill last night, or KingBoo is lying and he doesn’t have the hunter shot, but why?

Anytime else I would be looking to Bessie from the lack of being on Boom but it was such a rapid hammer.
Explain. Do you mean why wasn’t I voting?

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I do have the hunter shot, the first time someone survives I get it. Fonti told me that she'll inform me N2, that's when I'll get it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I don't think Sabrar was protected because I don't think the angel protection was active. This from the signup thread:

I’m survivalist. KingBoo claims he has a hunter shot, which means I was targeted with a failed kill last night, or KingBoo is lying and he doesn’t have the hunter shot, but why?

Explain. Do you mean why wasn’t I voting?
Yeah I realized that after looking back over the abilities afterward, the game mechanics have kind’ve eluded me some cause I didn’t read through it thoroughly anytime I have, I’ve looked for specific stuff. Then I went back and read through it all earlier.

YeahI was saying from point of analysis and more steam line talking. Obviously I can’t gauge anything cause it was a quick hammer. So I was kind’ve writing it off as I typed. I do however believe your interactions with Boom was trying to set you up for a future ML. So it doesn’t seem theatrical to me.

It also reads correct with the rules to have two kills happen last night since only one witch remains. So it explains a lot.

I just need to know what you think about Xivii and Boo here. Is it as easy as Boom/Boo? Or are we dealing with some theatre and early bussing from Xivii?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco- Gravedigger (Claimed)
Xivii- Survivalist/Oracle/??? (hasn’t full claimed)
Boo- Judge/Hunter? (Full claimed hunter, hinted at Judge also)
Bessie- Survivalist (Claimed)
FF- Gambler (Mod confirmed to me via role)
Sabrar- Holy (Unconfirmed)
Boom- Dirty Old ******* (Mod confirmed to me via role)

Chaco

Never Logs In
bessie bessie What do you think of this?

Lol, you're forgiven. I'd make a good angel anyway.

Vote KingBoo

He clearly understands the game enough to be lying right off the bat, he's just throwing **** against the wall to see what will stick and depending on noobie sympathy to avoid the yeet. I'm normally against yeeting new people D1 but we can't afford it in such a small game and he gets to keep playing in heaven anyway.
Bolded the part of the quote and italicized the part I specifically want to draw attention to. Is this TMI?

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Bolded the part of the quote and italicized the part I specifically want to draw attention to. Is this TMI?
Not TMI, both town and mafia get to keep playing when they're dead.

On my home site which was xkcd most of the IC players gave the newbies "unofficial D1 immunity" where we generally let them play one complete day/night cycle unless they were trolling, or made a bad scum slip and letting it pass somehow would compromise the integrity of the game (like how this one is so small). I mean, it's a game and we want people to have a good time and come back and play again.

That said, KingBoo I really appreciate the effort you're putting into the game, but I think you're mafia.

Chaco, I don't see any way scum!Xivii clears you when he could have cleared FrozenFlame for free, or cleared me because I'm mechanically cleared anyway. Well I guess I'm not 100% mechanically cleared but there was no reason for me to shoot myself.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
There’s another way I think the night went.
While me and FrozenFlame were discussing plans before the night ended, Xivii chimed in. After it concluded that I would protect Sabrar after we hanged BoomFrog, because Xivii was participating in the discussion, he knew who to target.
Xivii, being scum, used his two kills, one for erasing Bessie’s survivalist power, and the other to kill Sabrar and screw up my plans to protect him.

Chaco

Never Logs In
If that’s the case then it makes sense the behavior Boom showed towards trying to reign a town feel back onto him.

Also bessie bessie I meant where he said continue playing in heaven, like I thought he was trying to hint he would be an angel for mind games etc.

And you’re right, ScumXivii had zero reason to clear me. I just always wanna be skeptical when things seem to easy I guess.

Chaco

Never Logs In
obscurity's sake. figured it would be too obvious to randomly have him at the top with no progression
That’s exactly why I was suss of Boom. Massive town read with absolutely zero progression.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Scum!Xivii essentially killed Sabrar, knowing he was instantly a townie.
He then used his second kill to remove Bessie's 1-UP.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Vote: Xivii

#614 and #620 give me a reason to vote him, it's just a wild guess, but I think it's what he did.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
That’s exactly why I was suss of Boom. Massive town read with absolutely zero progression.
my guess is that he mistakenly-correctly picked up that you were Oracled but for the wrong reasons—that being how people were town reading you early on. In particular, how Sabrar randomly had you at the top of his read list. Thinking he picked up on that, he likely wanted to ride on Sabrar's town read for his eventual Oracle claim. This actually relates to the tell I was speaking of before. BoomFrog likes to be right. And that causes him to reveal his TMI as scum. I noticed it in Apex when he kept saying he thought there was a strongman/ninja that can't be used at the same time which made no sense for him to think that.

Note that the early town reads on you was one of the reasons why I wanted to obscure my result. My role, like Masons, becomes more useful the longer you survive, for the reason of there being a clear when it gets down to the PoE. I felt like if I added to the voices of people having you at the top of the list, it would increase your chances of being night killed a) because you'd be seen as a consensus townie and b) because it would be likely from scum's perspective that you were Oracled. I had to bank on not being night killed and losing my result to obscurity, but I felt there was a good chance I'd survive due to my playstyle this game keeping me as a potential yeet option, and also why I took the opportunity to fake claim Survivalist once I realized bessie was trying to communicate it. Worst case scenario is that I'd be gravedugged and people would think bessie was my result, but I was fairly confident she was town and willing to take the risk.

Note I also did the same thing with Triss in Midnight: Dolphin Penguin (ignore the animal names, I just need words to embed the links into). Funnily enough, people were also randomly early town reading Triss in that game.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Makes sense to me. I’ll vote whenever you guys are ready.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
One thing I've noticed is that in post #611, there's a third role next to Xivii's name. That role is a toss-up between Judge, and Undertaker,

bessie

Smash Journeyman
obscurity's sake. figured it would be too obvious to randomly have him at the top with no progression
Like really? I rarely give much reason for my town reads.

the poem i wrote in that post crumbs it though
You will have to explain it to me after the game.

Vote: KingBooGengar57

Sorry KingBoo, you keep making too many errors that are contradictory, like how you took time to research MafiaScum roles, but you still don't seem to know what roles are in this game.

Chaco Chaco I hope we aren't getting worked by a master ZenBoom scum team.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Swag. Was it really your first forum game? You did a good job considering. Don't take it personally. We've all had to go through the growing pains. You honestly just joined a game that happened to have a bunch of (at least what I consider to be) some of the best players.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Dude keep signing up and keep playing, this game happened to be very quick to get to a point of no return for you. Generally a game wouldn’t progress that quickly even with these numbers.

fontisian fontisian I NEED you to run this game with at minimum 13 people, I think it’d be super bad ass with big numbers.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Like really? I rarely give much reason for my town reads.

You will have to explain it to me after the game.

Vote: KingBooGengar57

Sorry KingBoo, you keep making too many errors that are contradictory, like how you took time to research MafiaScum roles, but you still don't seem to know what roles are in this game.

Chaco Chaco I hope we aren't getting worked by a master ZenBoom scum team.
Yeah but you have content that lends your read abd natural following from your line of questions. Like it made sense where I was at in your read list. With Booms it was like “...what? Why am I number one with two posts both directed at Bessie.” Like calling me Town from it is one thing, but defending me as town is where it gets muddy. So that’s why it was suss to me.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Roles
Sabrar Sabrar - Priest
Chaco Chaco - Village Gravedigger
bessie bessie - Village Survivalist
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame - Village Gambler
KingBooGengar57 KingBooGengar57 - Village Hunter

Xivii Xivii - Witch Judge
BoomFrog BoomFrog - Witch Dirty Old *******
Extra Role - Oracle

Xivii swapped out Judge for Oracle at the beginning of the game. Frozen chose Odd.

General Thoughts
This wasn't the best debut of the setup, as the rand was fairly witch sided. Were I to run it again with seven players I'd take out the Witch extra role, which would significantly lower the chance of Witches getting a great rand. It's something I've used in the past in larger setups in a townsided meta, but it's really not necessary with these numbers. I might also substitute out the Hunter for the Apprentice, which increases the odds of a Judge ability ending up in Town hands and gives some nice autonomy to the player who gets that role.

Boom and Xivii played well with the abilities they had. They did the math and figured out a Boom yeet would get them to a good place, and pushed for role claims and information so they could be sure Boom wasn't hitting the Survivalist (which in turn would have allowed KingBoo to shoot Xivii n1). The Bessie shot ensured Xivii would have an easier time getting a misyeet Today, while still setting himself up for a win immediately after.

Town had very solid reads but made some mistakes, mostly around roleclaiming or softing too easily. This allows Boom and Xivii to plan around your roles with confidence. I think a lot of town was very focused on being right for the D1 yeet, which normally wouldn't be a bad thing, but in this setup, with last stand in effect, a D1 misyeet really isn't that bad and actually misyeeting KingBoo D1 might have led to a town victory here. There are a lot of mechanics to help swing an early defeat for either faction back in their favor (Last Stand, Haunting, Angel Protection, Survivalist/Gambler/Hunter role stuff), and it's worth considering if you think you might misyeet someone down the line, that it might instead be better to misyeet them first thing and hit the witch later on. It's kind of a weird concept.

I'd like to share quicktopics for anyone interested. If you get in here and are ok with yours being shared, please say so.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Never game throw dude, no matter how bleak it is. Always plead your case.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I’m a little upset that you didn’t stick to your guns Boo. Always always always play to your win condition. Be transparent and honest as town. Lying as town is a sure fire way to cause distrust and end in a mislynch. When first playing mafia, as town, play to your win con. Try and solve the game and ask questions, but in a completely and honest way. I would have been completely cool if you openly claimed D1 and said I don’t know how to play this role this is where I’m at. Don’t sell yourself short and game throw saying this that and the third.

Nevertheless, GGs scum, had a terrible feeling this was the case but there wasn’t any opposition for basis basically. I had a feeling Oracle was fakeclaim and survivalist CC was to hyped to be legit. But I just rolled with it and that sucks. Bessie, we need redemption.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
I'm scum, okay? **** this game man.
You played a good game man, you really did. You were the only townie to correctly call the two scum D1. We we're the bottom two on your list and we couldn't get you to reconsider, and that ment we had to turn against you and set you up to be mistrusted.

This game is going to feel bad if you take it personally. The point of the game is to trick and manipulate players, so you are going to be treated unfairly sometimes, because yeah, literally there are players who's goal is to be unfair.

Hope you give it another shot. :)

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
And that's why you yeet Xivii immediately after his very first lie.

Grats scum!
Well... the "I'm survivalist" lie was actually super townie. But yeah, if nothing makes sense yeet Xivii or Boom.

Top Bottom