• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wisdom's Weapons - Zelda Moveset Analysis/Discussion [Currently casually discussing~]

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
So yeah I've been doing this a lot and Teleport cancelling is a greaT landing option. Especially on stages with platforms, like Halberd, Castle Siege, and Battlefield. I think all Zeldas should learn and perfect her distance from Farore's Wind because I can see this covering her landing weakness.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
So yeah I've been doing this a lot and Teleport cancelling is a greaT landing option. Especially on stages with platforms, like Halberd, Castle Siege, and Battlefield. I think all Zeldas should learn and perfect her distance from Farore's Wind because I can see this covering her landing weakness.
gurl the only problem with this is being at the right range whenever we need to land. Its not like Pally or Mewtwo who have shorter easier to space Teleports for cancels. Have you seen mother Fujins teleport gimmicks with sister Pally? :secretkpop:

@ Rickster Rickster gurl the thing is we actually need a Dins buff to be good so I'd rather Sakuraitena Nerf something like Ftilt since its the one move we can kind if do without in exchange for Dins buffs :secretkpop: #godsavedins

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I think Ftilt is fine, though I dont know what move could be nerfed in exchange for a Dins buff, But I like Ftilt its cool.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
I just recently combo'ed gliding dins fire into jab. Obviously this makes it broken and does not need buffs.

(I miss brawl dins tho)

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I think Ftilt is fine, though I dont know what move could be nerfed in exchange for a Dins buff, But I like Ftilt its cool.
I don't hate Ftilt, i dislike the deadzone but i mean its been there for years lol. but with the fixed Fsmash and Utilt and Jab, Ftilt has the least amount of use personally so if we had to pick a move to nerf in exchange for Dins buff i would give up Ftilt very easily

speaking of Fsmash it has amazing suction. at a tournament last weekend Mario was jumping up beneath the Delfino main platform and Fsmash sucked him up into it like a blackhole :secretkpop:

unfortunately Mario also landed on my arm later and popped out of Fsmash...almost perfection Sakuraitena...

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
Reasonable Din's Fire buffs that would make it more useful:
  • Make it move quicker
  • Give it somewhat better range and/or control
  • Put a traveling hitbox on it so we have a semi-conventional projectile that won't pass through opponents and do absolutely nothing. It's a traveling ball of fire. I can't imagine how many times that would've been useful or helped in some way.
  • Less end/startup lag
~Leaving out No Free Fall because that's extremely unrealistic given that Sakurai is Sakurai~
I think our most likely (realistic) buff, if we get one, would be less end lag, considering Sak is obsessed with giving the Phantom less end lag (yet no health buffs, but praise the 0% hitbox), so why not this one? Anything to make that move more useful would be such a blessing. She needs it almost as much as Samus needs buffs in general... Maybe more. :secretkpop:
The lingering flame they added in PM was really cool and combod into stuff, kinda like when ZeroSkill down smashes and waits for the knockback to followup with a fair.

Removing lag overall would just be a godsend. If lightning kicks were safe on shield because of less lag and or had decent knockback to give us a second to recover.

Just imagine a world where we have approach options. :secretkpop:

I just recently combo'ed gliding dins fire into jab. Obviously this makes it broken and does not need buffs.

(I miss brawl dins tho)
I also noticed there seems to be certain situations where a dins fire on the ground forces a shield or will hit, even if the opponent is a few inches in front of you. Especially effective if they're coming in from the air, but I haven't gotten consistent results. Seems like a really hard window to hit.

Edit2.0: On a side note, I brought it up elsewhere but the phantom has an extra hitbox at the end of his dash-attack in charge 3. It appears between the transition of the forward 'thrust' into the upward arc. Before arcing upwards, he reaches down. This can be used to KO almost every member of the cast that doesn't "hang" by just their fingers. It requires almost perfect spacing and for the opponent to hold on until losing invincibility, but it's actually pretty consistent since most people have a habit of just waiting for it to come out. PUNISH THEIR IGNORANCE.

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
The lingering flame they added in PM was really cool and combod into stuff, kinda like when ZeroSkill down smashes and waits for the knockback to followup with a fair.

Removing lag overall would just be a godsend. If lightning kicks were safe on shield because of less lag and or had decent knockback to give us a second to recover.

Just imagine a world where we have approach options. :secretkpop:
Oh, I've mentioned how PM Zelda has an amazing Din's compared to what we have, and much better kicks earlier in this thread. The other night I did an accidental Dsmash first hit > Knocked into planted Din's near ground and bounces back > Dsmash second hit combo for a lot of damage. Zelda really needs a Din's buff before I can say that she's a solid character (despite still having her bad design). She can still be tall, floaty, and light and be viable, just look at Rosie. The difference is: Rosie can do so much more because her moveset isn't super flawed and gives her great tools, while Zelda can't make up for being tall floaty and light because what she has currently isn't working too well to balance out her weaknesses. She has power, but at the cost of relying on moves with sweet spots and a ton of lag, has a very slow dash, is very read dependent, and lacks a proper projectile. If she had less lag and a proper projectile, without buffs to the other areas (making her "balanced"), she'd be in much better shape. I'd be fine with her at that point, but until then, I'll keep praying that we continue to get buffs every patch (except that random Din's nerf for no reason in 1.0.6).

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I really don't think any amount of buffing will make Din's a good move. It just doesn't work in 1v1s in its current form. It's more of a FFA and Doubles move.

Besides, they nerfed it in an earlier patch (probably to keep casual FFA Zelda in check) so I'm not expecting them to rebuff it again.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Something I've been doing lately once I get the lead is I'll throw out a Phantom and spam Din's cuz free damage if it hits :secretkpop:
Just don't do it against characters who can get into close range really fast cuz if that happens you'll probably be dead

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
I really don't think any amount of buffing will make Din's a good move. It just doesn't work in 1v1s in its current form. It's more of a FFA and Doubles move.

Besides, they nerfed it in an earlier patch (probably to keep casual FFA Zelda in check) so I'm not expecting them to rebuff it again.
Tbh, Din's isn't as useless as we think it is, but it is a terrible move that does need to be reworked if it wants to be useful in 1v1s. It's not a balanced move at all when you think about it that way. You should be able to use every move effectively regardless of 1v1, 2v2, or FFA, and if it is only useful in one area, then it needs to be changed in some way. Every character has very situational moves, but usually they're situational in any context, not just for certain modes of playing. Din's really isn't that useful in FFA's anymore because they butchered its control and distance. It's also just too slow of a move in general. It's good as a long distance mixup along with with a B-Reversed Phantom to cover landings. I only really use it on stages with platforms when my opponent goes to land on a platform and I predict that. Landing the move at all requires predictions: Aiming it up because the enemy is going to "jump around it", aiming it down towards the ground to catch a landing, jumping into the explosion to cover an approaching enemy that isn't being safe, etc. It even has a problem killing when you do land it, unless at higher percentages than we can normally KO around. The issue is that you don't get enough reward for taking the chance to even use the move, as you're putting yourself out in the open to be attacked for a long amount of time. I'll be honest, you can actually land the move against skilled players sometimes, but only after you condition them to behave a certain way, and it probably won't work all that often. It's a barely rewarding mind game tool that isn't very useful when playing the game in any mode unless at very low skill levels. It's a truly awful "projectile" that doesn't require a degree in rocket science to be able to tell it sucks just like Samus in general, so I don't see why it doesn't deserve a buff at all.

It's just amazing that in non-Sakurai Smash games, the move is pretty decent because the people who made it understood how bad of a move it was, meanwhile Sakurai just doesn't get it. Why and how does he not understand? He's been at this longer than anybody else has. Yeah, it's useful in FFA's on medium stages where you have a camping spot and your other three friends forgot all about you and just decided to leave you on the other side of the stage. Even then, teleporting into them after getting a bit closer is a much better option.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Tbh, Din's isn't as useless as we think it is, but it is a terrible move that does need to be reworked if it wants to be useful in 1v1s. It's not a balanced move at all when you think about it that way. You should be able to use every move effectively regardless of 1v1, 2v2, or FFA, and if it is only useful in one area, then it needs to be changed in some way. Every character has very situational moves, but usually they're situational in any context, not just for certain modes of playing. Din's really isn't that useful in FFA's anymore because they butchered its control and distance. It's also just too slow of a move in general. It's good as a long distance mixup along with with a B-Reversed Phantom to cover landings. I only really use it on stages with platforms when my opponent goes to land on a platform and I predict that. Landing the move at all requires predictions: Aiming it up because the enemy is going to "jump around it", aiming it down towards the ground to catch a landing, jumping into the explosion to cover an approaching enemy that isn't being safe, etc. It even has a problem killing when you do land it, unless at higher percentages than we can normally KO around. The issue is that you don't get enough reward for taking the chance to even use the move, as you're putting yourself out in the open to be attacked for a long amount of time. I'll be honest, you can actually land the move against skilled players sometimes, but only after you condition them to behave a certain way, and it probably won't work all that often. It's a barely rewarding mind game tool that isn't very useful when playing the game in any mode unless at very low skill levels. It's a truly awful "projectile" that doesn't require a degree in rocket science to be able to tell it sucks just like Samus in general, so I don't see why it doesn't deserve a buff at all.

It's just amazing that in non-Sakurai Smash games, the move is pretty decent because the people who made it understood how bad of a move it was, meanwhile Sakurai just doesn't get it. Why and how does he not understand? He's been at this longer than anybody else has. Yeah, it's useful in FFA's on medium stages where you have a camping spot and your other three friends forgot all about you and just decided to leave you on the other side of the stage. Even then, teleporting into them after getting a bit closer is a much better option.
yeah, it's not terrible, it's just terrible at whats it's INTENDED to do

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

but Sakuraitena Nerfed Phantom and then buffed it, miracles do happen sometimes :secretkpop:

the thing is Zelda needs a way to force the approach/hold a lead. Otherwise Sakurai needs to Chang her moveset entirely because she's a defensive character with no approach and no reliable way to force approach even if she gains a lead. 90% of the cast has no need to approach Zelda sometimes even when disadvantaged because all they have to do is stand outside if her dash grab range and wait for an opening. Or just camp her back to retake the advantage. She's almost dependant on a stock lead to make people get in her face unless its some high tier like Fox who has the option to do that or camp her out still.

that's why I say make it faster and/or better control over it like PK thunder cause it wouldn't be perfect but it would give Zelda something against those that can't camp that well but can ass her out anyway cause Zelda has no "come closer dearie" incentives. Otherwise they have to keep patching her to make her have approach options and we could eventually lose KO power because of that.

Edikus

Smash Rookie
Oh okay, I'll go ahead and take the video down then. Disregard my post.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
there is another technique similiar to this that i saw nobody use

When you're above the ledge, teleport down but right after zelea disappears, quickly let go of the control stick. this will make zelda grab the ledge and it's pretty useful.
Ok so I just remembered this post. I just tested it and...it actually really works! Thanks for pointing this out.

I think we should all practice this small tech, since it gives us even more ways to change up our recovery. Melee Zeldas probably already know how to use this properly, but it's new if you started with Brawl (like I did).

Honestly just messing around in Training is making our offstage game feel so much more fluid. Knowing that we don't have to drop low to snap the ledge is really nice.

Thanks again Meek Moths!

Edit: Another potential application: quick ledge trumping.

More edits: Also, this isn't exclusive to Zelda. Other characters with directional recoveries (Fox for example) can do this, but the fact that we're invincible for a bit after disappearing, combined with the long range is what makes it so good. You could even combine it with not snapping the ledge, but you'd have to space perfectly from the ledge.

Edit 3.0: So @Lavani was telling me how there's no 1 frame vulnerability when ledgegrabbing from above. If that's true for Zelda too, then it's safer for us to always try to snap from above.

Last edited:

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Been experimenting and B reverse Phantom seems really awsome, huge momentum shift and with the buffs really a good spacing move to keep opponents offguard. Anyone worked with this? Ive been trying to incorporate it as a part of my gameplay.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
alot of times I happen to B reverse phantom on accident lol but it is a really nice spacing move. Maybe even psuedo approach if you cross over a shield with it. But I haven't had the time to try that yet

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
alot of times I happen to B reverse phantom on accident lol but it is a really nice spacing move. Maybe even psuedo approach if you cross over a shield with it. But I haven't had the time to try that yet

It'd be really cool if it had a whee bit less ending lag. Or maybe just in the air?

It's just as powerful for momentum swinging as Ryu's focus punch is, minus the power armor and easy cancel. Definitely a tool that can catch people offguard.

1/50 times my mid air NL saves me from a would-KO up smash :drshrug:

Hey gorls~
Decided to put this here rather than the social, seeing as this is a moveset discussion thread
So I've decided to do some testing with utilt, specifically the back hit and I found that at really low percentages it can combo into a few things (according to the counter in training mode). I don't have exact percentages and I've only tried things on a few characters (Jigglypuff, Bowser, Sheik ew Sheik, Robin, I want to cover the various weight types and fastfallers/floaty characters)
For some combos, you have to hit with the last active frame of utilt, while others have more leeway and you can still combo if you hit with one of the earlier frames of back utilt.
These don't take into account DI and rage. Also, done of the 3DS as I don't have a Wii U
Some combos force you to turn around after utilt so you are facing your opponent, you can still combo though just timing is a bit stricter! I'll abbreviate it it to TA in the combos list.
These combos may not be all that practical as you have to hit with the back hit of utilt which usually doesn't happen often I found, but having more combo options with Zelda is nice

I think I'll just list the combos that work at 0% and may continue testing or go into more detail later

All four mentioned characters (I found that these are the only combos that work on floaty characters and nothing else):
utilt -> utilt
utilt -> nair (If you can are quick enough, you can turn around and hit with the front of nair and it's still a combo)
utilt -> bair (I found it easier to hit with the sweetspot if you jump a little forward after hitting with utilt)
utilt -> usmash
utilt -> SH -> FW1

Robin (MiddleWeight):
utilt -> utilt -> nair (the timing and spacing is strict for this, you have to hit with the back of nair - the higher part)
utilt -> Nayru's Love
utilt -> FW1 -> FW2 (I find that you have to be right next to you opponent or a tiny bit away, otherwise FW will whiff)
utilt -> TA -> jab (the spacing on these jab combos seems to be precise, you have to hit with the last active frame of utilt for them to combo)
utilt -> TA -> jab -> Dash Grab (not too sure if this is a combo)
utilt -> TA -> jab -> run -> SH fair (the timing and spacing to get the sweetspot is strict for this one)
utilt -> TA -> jab -> run -> SH nair
utilt -> TA -> jab -> run -> DA (You can get the sweetspot, but I mostly got the sour spot)
utilt -> TA -> ftilt (up angled seems to sweetspot while no angle seems to sourspot)
utilt -> TA -> fsmash (the spacing on these is precise, you have to hit with the last active frame of utilt for it to combo)
utilt -> TA -> Grab
utilt -> TA -> Pivot Grab (not too sure on these but I assume they work, if ftilt which is slower to come out than the grabs can combo)

Bowser (HeavyWeights)
utilt -> utilt -> utilt (strict spacing)
utilt -> TA -> ftilt (up angled and no angle both seem to sweetspot due to Bowser's size while down angle seems to sourspot)
utilt -> TA -> dtilt
utilt -> dsmash (strict spacing)
utilt -> TA dsmash (strict spacing)
The other combos that work on Robin

Sheik (Fastfallers - I found that sometimes the second utilt in the combos whiffs)
The combos that work on Bowser except for these two due to fall speed:
utilt -> TA -> jab -> run -> SH fair (doesn't work)
utilt -> TA -> jab -> run -> SH nair (doesn't work)
utilt -> TA -> ftilt (all angle seem to sweetspot though if your spacing is off, it can souspot)
utilt -> utilt -> usmash (strict spacing)
utilt -> utlit -> FW1 -> FW2

Wow, this is like the longest post I've ever done!

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
hmmm my SD game is always on point
Been experimenting and B reverse Phantom seems really awsome, huge momentum shift and with the buffs really a good spacing move to keep opponents offguard. Anyone worked with this? Ive been trying to incorporate it as a part of my gameplay.
B reverse would be useful when recovering if Zelda had more airspeed
turnaround and wavebounce in my opinion are better for spacing

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
When does everyone use B-Reversed Phantoms anyway? I keep seeing you guys talk about them and how useful they are, but I've used it like...once. And it was by accident.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
When does everyone use B-Reversed Phantoms anyway? I keep seeing you guys talk about them and how useful they are, but I've used it like...once. And it was by accident.
Its hard to say. When the one thread about phantom popped up prior to patch 1.0.8 talking about B reverse and wavebounced phantom I saw the potential for spacing but phantom still whiffed then. Now with the 0% hitbox it can actually be a thing.

I'm thinking to use it more as an counter assault to aerial offense. Like if someone jumps at you alot you can jump away with a b reverse phantom to slash them.

My favorite Idea was to use b reverse phantom as a shield crossover approach. You can jump over people and be spaced somewhat safely because Zelda shifts like a whole dash distance away . Although this is a riskier idea than jumping away and meeting them with a phantom where you were.

I think B reverse phantom has alot of theory but just not any visual application for all to see. Even my recent use of it has mostly been happy accidents lol

Lange

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even think about Wavebounce or turnarounding the phantom. I am currently trying to learn to wavebounce for other applications but the timing is so difficult im struggling with it.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've used B-reverse phantom to get away from landing traps before. It works especially well against Marios who like to challenge landings with a charged usmash, just b-reverse a phantom to get out of the way since Zelda literally has no other options against this unless she's high enough to FW out of the way in which case the Mario screwed up. In all honesty, though, wavebouncing would be the preferred strategy. I, personally, have trouble wavebouncing because the timing it so strict but wavebouncing consistently is significantly better than simple b-reverses. More often than not, it's just smarter to turnaround phantom as you jump away from the opponent. Even if the opponent waits at the max distance, it gives you time to think and possibly throw out a din's fire on slow opponents. I like having the walling properties of phantom up as often as possible too since it really messes with peoples' approaches unless they're ZSS and can jump over it without my reading of their jump being effective because she's impossible for us to catch if she's in the air.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Some things from after my first big-ish tourney that are relevant to the conversation:

Something not a lot of people don't remember is that you can wavebounce whether you're facing forward or backward. Typically, I see people go for a b-reverse while they're traveling the direction you're moving, but this turns you extremely close to the direction you just came, usually right on top of an opponent dashing towards you. If you b-reverse while facing AWAY from the direction you're going, you'll still bounce back, but have Phantom facing the direction you just came. It's actually a wonderful mix up to dash at someone, pivot jump as though you're going for a backair/nair mixup, then b-reverse a phantom, creating space as a projectile soars or charges at your opponent. As a note, I don't believe this is possible with Din's Fire, or any side B, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Speaking specifically of Din's, I found it immeasurably useful against Rosalina and Luma. Since Luma can't shield and lags slightly behind Rosa when she rolls, you can use Din's to safely and easily chip away at the little star. In addition, unlike the Phantom, Din's fire CANNOT BE ABSORBED BY ROSA'S DOWN B. Use shield, neutral B, and other defensive tools to get Rosa to back away, then Din's spam all day.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hi, after reading a thread on Reddit that was extremely hard on Zelda, I got to wondering: What is Zelda's game plan? Sure, I know she's a defensive character, but I'm interested in how she uses her tools.

As an example - Samus has often been considered a flawed character, with not so great tools. But her game plan is clear - aerial combo machine that wants to extend advantage forever, and survive. What is Zelda?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Well, a lot of Zeldas here play her in different ways, so you might get various answers for this one. But here goes~

For me, you need to get in as her. That means landing one of our combo starters, those being Jab, Utilt, Dtilt, SH Nair, Landing Nair, or a grab into an Uthrow or Dthrow. Deslite what some may tell you, her combo game is actually pretty dang good. After that, try and extend your string as long as possible to get damage. It's important to keep on some pressure so the game doesn't go back to neutral, since Zelda's neutral is weak. It consists mostly of Jabs, Utilts, Dtilts, mid charge retreating Phantoms, spaced Fsmashes, and the occasional Din's Fire or Nayru's Love. You can also throw in some Nairs and LKs, but those are riskier options.

If you get them offstage, be aggressive. Zelda's offstage game is actually quite good with her Dair, Nair, Phantom, and amazing recovery. One Dair- even a sourspotted one -can end some characters (even more if you footstool right after). Dsmash is especially good as setting up edgeguards due to its angle.

For KOing, you want to try and KO them as early as possible. Killing power is one of Zeldas greatest strengths. She can Elevator at about 60-70%, and with rage, it can get into the 30s because Zelda is OP and needs to be banned (:secretkpop:). She can true combo into it too, so it's not a move only for hard reads and punishes. Then there's our Hoo Hah which can start KOing at about...105%. Baiting an airdodge after Dthrow can also set up a Bair Lighting Kick, which can KO anywhere from 60-100 depending on stage position. Usmash is another powerful KO option, killing Mario on FD at 105% (no rage).

Overall she wants to combo her opponents, harass them offstage, KO them early, and keep an early lead. Falling behind as Zelda is the one thing you absolutely do not want to happen.

Also just a personal opinion on Zelda here: She is much better than a lot of players give her credit for. She is still very flawed, but the amount of misconceptions about her is ridiculous. I feel like Zelda mains are the only people who actually understand how to play her, and even then some of them still don't make sense (coughGameFAQscough).

Sorry this got so long! But I hope this answers you question at least a little bit.

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Well, a lot of Zeldas here play her in different ways, so you might get various answers for this one. But here goes~

For me, you need to get in as her. That means landing one of our combo starters, those being Jab, Utilt, Dtilt, SH Nair, Landing Nair, or a grab into an Uthrow or Dthrow. Deslite what some may tell you, her combo game is actually pretty dang good. After that, try and extend your string as long as possible to get damage. It's important to keep on some pressure so the game doesn't go back to neutral, since Zelda's neutral is weak. It consists mostly of Jabs, Utilts, Dtilts, mid charge retreating Phantoms, spaced Fsmashes, and the occasional Din's Fire or Nayru's Love. You can also throw in some Nairs and LKs, but those are riskier options.

If you get them offstage, be aggressive. Zelda's offstage game is actually quite good with her Dair, Nair, Phantom, and amazing recovery. One Dair- even a sourspotted one -can end some characters (even more if you footstool right after). Dsmash is especially good as setting up edgeguards due to its angle.

For KOing, you want to try and KO them as early as possible. Killing power is one of Zeldas greatest strengths. She can Elevator at about 60-70%, and with rage, it can get into the 30s because Zelda is OP and needs to be banned (:secretkpop:). She can true combo into it too, so it's not a move only for hard reads and punishes. Then there's our Hoo Hah which can start KOing at about...105%. Baiting an airdodge after Dthrow can also set up a Bair Lighting Kick, which can KO anywhere from 60-100 depending on stage position. Usmash is another powerful KO option, killing Mario on FD at 105% (no rage).

Overall she wants to combo her opponents, harass them offstage, KO them early, and keep an early lead. Falling behind as Zelda is the one thing you absolutely do not want to happen.

Also just a personal opinion on Zelda here: She is much better than a lot of players give her credit for. She is still very flawed, but the amount of misconceptions about her is ridiculous. I feel like Zelda mains are the only people who actually understand how to play her, and even then some of them still don't make sense (coughGameFAQscough).

Sorry this got so long! But I hope this answers you question at least a little bit.
The problem is, it can be hard to get in with her. She doesn't have very many safe approaches and can be camped out quite easily. Elevator is very good but very easy to punish too. It is a true combo yes, but is still quite risky. Her aerial mobility after it pretty much gives the opponent a free charged smash. Zelda has great killing power. No one will argue with you there, but she has next to no kill setups.Her kills require hard reads and baits.

Things like baiting air dodges and reading rolls, these are essential for any character. These are not advantages for Zelda. She is very slow, has a poor neutral, has very little attacks that are safe on shield and is not the best at zoning. I understand that she supposed to be a heavy hitter, but she lacks the shield pressure and kill setups to excel at that.

I don't really believe there are many if any misconceptions about Zelda. Compare her to any other character. She is worse than most of the roster. It is not an exaggeration to say that Zelda is one of the worst characters in the game.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
gorl

did you even read the post???

he states several times that Zelda has clear flaws, you literally just repeated what he said but tried to act like you're all high and mighTy correcting everything when you're just bein stoopider than dickbutt twinklepants

the post says it's hard to get in but gives you options on how to get in despite flaws, rather than being negative af like you god dayUm

no kill setups but the post lists kill setups??? like i play pinky winky and he cant kill for **** without some dumb broken @ss custom unless he wants to fish with those dum tumor hands nd you got these fkin sparkles into explosions, why you complainin'?????

ofc everybody wanna read those airdodges what else we gonna do??? mister tumor hands reads airdodges with a laggy ass 9% uair he cant even follow up on because those **** fRaMeS but sassy gorl princess over here kickin them faces back to that zelda rap commercial DAM

zelda got all these dum af misconceptions because people always state her weaknesses rather than any advantages she obv sucks **** but when you like "lol zleda sux hehe mmmmmmm" nd you dont list any of that gud **** u bein some gr0ss stanky sheik

like holee **** rickster over here tryna fight them flaws and u just like "no u jus giv up u kno this character sux CRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRI PLS GIV BUFFS!!!!!!!!" mm u like that dum ***** fight song talks about mmhmmmmmmmmm yeah rickster makin them charts and u just bein a **** that aint coo ykno

ye #rsrvdloyf #ilushaq Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima OUTt

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
gorl

did you even read the post???

he states several times that Zelda has clear flaws, you literally just repeated what he said but tried to act like you're all high and mighTy correcting everything when you're just bein stoopider than dickbutt twinklepants

the post says it's hard to get in but gives you options on how to get in despite flaws, rather than being negative af like you god dayUm

no kill setups but the post lists kill setups??? like i play pinky winky and he cant kill for **** without some dumb broken @ss custom unless he wants to fish with those dum tumor hands nd you got these fkin sparkles into explosions, why you complainin'?????

ofc everybody wanna read those airdodges what else we gonna do??? mister tumor hands reads airdodges with a laggy *** 9% uair he cant even follow up on because those **** fRaMeS but sassy gorl princess over here kickin them faces back to that zelda rap commercial DAM

zelda got all these dum af misconceptions because people always state her weaknesses rather than any advantages she obv sucks **** but when you like "lol zleda sux hehe mmmmmmm" nd you dont list any of that gud **** u bein some gr0ss stanky sheik

like holee **** rickster over here tryna fight them flaws and u just like "no u jus giv up u kno this character sux CRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRICRI PLS GIV BUFFS!!!!!!!!" mm u like that dum ***** fight song talks about mmhmmmmmmmmm yeah rickster makin them charts and u just bein a **** that aint coo ykno

ye #rsrvdloyf #ilushaq Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima OUTt
Firstly, I am not trying to be overly negative, nor am I trying to be high and mighty. I am simply being realistic. I used to main Zelda but switched to Greninja. I consider Zelda to be a secondary of mine. I'm not just mindlessly bashing Zelda. Her mobility is awful, her neutral is weak and while she does have combo starters, landing them is the problem. Obviously there are many ways to be good with Zelda, but you have to be much better than your opponent to succeed. Her gameplay relies heavily on reads and greatly outplaying the opponent.

Elevator is a risky kill setup. If the first hit of FW is blocked or dodged, you are so vulnerable. You're pretty much eating a free 25-30%. Against some characters, you pretty much killed yourself. You have like zero mobility after FW. You can't DI away to fake your opponent out. You can just barely move left or right as you descend. This puts you in a very weak position. That kill setup is very risky, but it is very rewarding. You can kill most players at 70-80% ish.

Offstage, Zelda does excel. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in my last post, but I thought it was established. I certainly didn't say otherwise in my post. I agree with Rickster. She can throw out many dairs in the air and Phantom (as far as I know) puts immense pressure and even Din's Fire can be used. Zelda, I feel, is good at edge guarding. The issue is being in that position against a similarly skilled player.

Zelda does have strengths. She has good knockback, good KO power and her fsmash is hard to punish when spaced well, dtilt on heavies is just combos for days, she can exert some pressure offstage and has a decently early kill setup. However, she has glaring weaknesses. Her frame data is pretty bad, she has lots of lag at the end of her aerials and specials and she's light. She can't camp well, doesn't particularly excel at close range combat and lacks shield pressure. You may call this "crying" but it's simply being realistic. You can do well with Zelda, but in my opinion, she is not as rewarding as she could be.

I never once said anything about anyone giving up nor stopping Zelda. I enjoy playing her myself. So stop projecting. There are no misconceptions about Zelda. Comparatively speaking, she is bottom tier and could stand to gain a few buffs and not minor ones either.

Top Bottom