• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winners Round 1 and Gamestop Tournament Discussion

koujix0

Smash Rookie
is round 2 at 2pm? the certificate that they gave me for winning round 1 says I won round 2 and qualifies me for round 3 on 3/29/08 :x. Just wondering if round 2 starts at the same time.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
My brother won at the Gamestop we went to. I got 2nd, and for the most part everyone else there were scrubs. Tich won at a different gamestop. I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I am going into round 2 with my sister. Because the tournament host accidentally skipped us and I complained about it until they did something.

Vist

Smash Champion
won the tournament in severna park, md (they did melee instead of brawl since theirs was held earlier than most others)

funny thing is, later that day I went to another one in Hanover, MD with my gf and her bro (this one did brawl). I got the chance to enter since there were some spots left from people not making it but I realized that I would likely have to lose at some point to avoid any complications.

Luckily it didn't come to that b/c I lost the very first match in sudden death LOL.

So I'm on to round two thanks to melee but now I gotta get used to the wiimote + nunchuck thing meanwhile not having my own wii to practice on -____-

dyeknom

Smash Rookie
I won at the GS I pre-ordered. First round I knocked the kid out three times in 1 minute. He was bad, but I think he was having probs with the Wii-remote coordination. The last match I was link and he was Meta Knight, he tried to just fly around for sudden death... that didn't work out so well.

As for the next part, I won't be going. Not worth the trip (live in the midwest YAK) anyway... would rather sit around and play for fun than have to sit around and listen to more kids talk about strategies while wearing a power gloves.

dmcmaster41

Smash Cadet
Hey mikehaze i want your friend code, i'll play you best of 3 rounds........ tough man oh and by the way i did not evwen join the tournament...:laugh: it'd be fun beating you

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
I won the Tournament at the game stop near frostburg state university
i got a trophy saying im the Smash Bros local legend of wreckage.... and i dont even live here I just go to school lol

nrowdevastates

Smash Rookie
they didn't even have a smash tournament at my gamestop!!!!
my friend was telling me there would of been and some stupid voice recording thing told me there would be one too
but there wasn't sooo weak!

Int_Bl3d

Smash Rookie
I won mine and Ill be in Newburg NY mall for the 2nd round this Saturday, I talked to one of the gamestop employees im pretty sure that 1 minute wiimote requirement is the standard rules for the whole tournement. Anyone else gonna be at that specific mall? I think nintendo really cheaped out on the wrestling trophy I wouldvt liked a sick mario trophy or even a smash ball but w/e no giftcard for me either wtf? I think that might have been a store based thing to repay their customers. Looking forward to some brutal brawling, see you guys there

Xtinction

Smash Journeyman
yeahhh i won round one... i hated the rules.. ehh...

anyone know how round 2 is gonna be?

also i love the trophy.. everytime i look at it, it makes me chuckle :chuckle:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I won mine, but it was pure, unbridled luck with a dash of research thrown in.

Random characters, stages and items, meaning that I was stuck with Peach. Even though I'm not a Peach player, I at least knew what her moveset was from Melee so I lucked out there. Only two rounds went to sudden death, the first one and the final. Had I not watched videos of how Peach's final smash behaves, it might have been trouble for me.

I honestly had no expectation of winning it, since I expected there would be an importer or two there would would simply roll everyone but it didn't happen.

I joked that we need to paint the trophy to look like Captain Falcon or "realistic" Mario, since he already has the suspenders.

Anyone else suffered severe hand cramping with the mote+chuk combo? The last time I had this happen was Elebits because it demands an extreme amount of button mashing, but this only happened yesterday during some intense online matches.

catfriedrice

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else suffered severe hand cramping with the mote+chuk combo? The last time I had this happen was Elebits because it demands an extreme amount of button mashing, but this only happened yesterday during some intense online matches.
you know, I'm to the point now that I would rather have the wiimote/chuck than a gamecube controller. I've got it down pat now, and it's so much more comfortable. My hands don't cramp up on it like they do with the DS.

Majesty23

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I lost in the semis...sad thing is there were only 8 people. None of us were really skilled (Myself included), so it was pretty much a crap shoot.

At least we got to choose our characters...sudden death, 2 minute matches, all on one stage (Battlefield). I was actually kinda surprised to find out so many Gamestops changed the rules like that...but then again, ours wasn't exactly very organized seeing as:

1. It didn't happen during the midnight launch (I was one of the unfortunate people in Ohio where we got pelted by the snowstorm)

2. The employee running it had little to no idea what he was doing...we actually had to start over because the tourney mode was set up wrong the first time

So...yeah.

O Rly?

Smash Cadet
I won Round 1 at Glassboro. Same stupid trophy.

The employees called and told me the location of Round 2, the May's Landing area Hamilton Mall.

They also gave me the wrong number to confirm my registration.
*******s.

Yeah. I'm chickening out of going to round 2 because I heard it is the SAME stupid rules, no reward, and just because I beat Melee-ranked professionals at it doesn't mean I'm good... yet. And why would I spend ten bucks on gas for one minute of dissatisfaction and the high probability of death making a U-turn on the craziest highway I've ever been on in a Buick?

Also, I heard it is Wiimote+Nunchuk 1-minute matches all items random character only. So much for practicing my R.O.B., Kirby, and Lucas.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Mine starts in like an hour and a half

I don't really want to go because I'm sick, but I do want to make it to Round 3 =\

Kado

Smash Cadet
OMG! >.<!!! I wanna kick somebody!!! The Gamestop tournament is total balls! I won the first round and played in the second round today. I lost on my first match! It came down to sudden death between me and Sheik on Yoshi's Island Melee! After trading hits a few times I killed Sheik! She went flying off the top of the screen and was about to die, so I say good game to the guy next to me and all of a sudden a split second before Sheik dies, a FREAKING BOB-OMB drops on my character's head and sends me flying off the side of the stage!!! I freaking won that! GAH! If only Gamestop had REAL rules for the tournament there wouldn't be so many sudden death matches and unfair situations like this! All they would have to do is make it a 2-3 stock match instead of a time match! I am so pissed =.=...

Strag

Smash Cadet
I lost my Round 2 match as well.

Last tournament, we were able to use any character, even those outside the starting roster. Well, I dominated with Marth.

I couldn't say the same in Round 2 though. We couldn't use any unlockables, so I had to start from scratch. I practiced with Shiek last night and this morning, but I really felt iffy with her. Anyways, the first match, I got matched up with a Shiek and pretty much got dominated (Didn't pull with my Dragoon and the guy got a Final Smash off me).

There were a few good guys there (An Ike player, the player that beat me, and the Olimar player who won the tournament). There were some upsets, such as the Shiek player dying to a Kirb Fsmash within 2 seconds of time, the Olimar player surving a Star Ko after time was out (Ike player would've tied it/won).

I wasn't too mad with the results I got. I just wanted to advance one round and got a trophy and $50 Gamestop Gift card out of it. Plus, the player who won has to go to Houston, TX for Round 3 and that is 6 hours away from the Round 2 tourney we had today.

Anyways, if you were at the Longview TX tournament, PM me. We should play again!

Kado

Smash Cadet
What does the round 2 trophy look like? I was super pissed and after I lost I left, so I didn't get to see it.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
I just won my Round 2 tournament... it was only 1 match though because my district is in Kansas. We both agreed to 3-stock, no items, on FD which was much better than 1-min, items on battlefield. My opponent was a Pit player and I used Meta Knight, but he was too predictable and I ended up edgeguarding for the win.

The manager of the Gamestop store didn't know where my Regional matches would be... I am assuming it will be in KC, MO because thats the store closest to me listed for round 3 on the website. I don't know for sure. Guess I'll have to call and hope the KC store manager knows.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
my little bro just won his round two with the lamest rules ever. 3 minute, all items, random characters, using the in game tournament engine. thank God he got Ike and managed to dodge zelda's final smash at the last minute.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I could rant about losing, but I'll just sum it up in two words:

Item Johns

Jewbacabra

Smash Cadet
OH wtf? I won at wellington green FL and i didn't get a **** trophy.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE IN ALL CAPS. gonna call them tomorrow and complain! lol

but yea, i won. i got a by round 1, round 2 i rocked an olimar hardcore and round 4 (finals) i rocked a fox hardcore.

But round 3, man, that was the luckiest thing EVER.

Zelda vs. Lucas (me = zelda).
He lands an up smash, kills me.
I pick up a hammer, he pk fires me off the stage --> i cant edge grab and die
I kill him, cuz now hes at a high percentage (landed a forward smash) so its 1-2 now.
I get my final smash and miss it, shooting in the wrong direction. I IMMEDIATELY picked up the hammer on top of me, and he killed me again because i couldn't recover after a pk fire. 1-3 now.

45 seconds left i manage to pull off the dragoon 2-3.
15 seconds left he walks into a sensor bomb i planted 3-3.
5 seconds left i fall off the stage with the hammer, again.
Timer ends before i die.

Sudden Death --> He absorbs first dins fire, and then prepare to absorb second one. I detonated it far enough behind him though that it hit him, but not his side-b.

Good Game Lucas!!!

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Lucas absorbs all projectiles no matter what side they are to him. He just turns around and absorbs them. I won Round 2 at Thornton, Colorado. Who will I see at the Mall of America?

Zanza

Smash Rookie
Sigh. I lost my Round 2 to a lil coward Mario in the Finals. KOed my D3 about mid way through the match and ran like a lil school girl the whole fight, whipping items and Smash Balls in my face. Couldn't do much about it. Was one KO away from Sudden Death but the fight ended before I could finish him. Oh wells.

Vondill

Smash Rookie
Won earlier today in Glendora CA using Fox, only about 10-12 people showed up and (I think) they let people who didnt even win round 1 enter, they were just little kids though like 10 years old to fill the empty spots in the tourny.

The tournament wasnt hosted on some giant tv like in round one, this time they just put it on the lame wii demo and put it OUTSIDE (it was cold, very cold, it even started raining, hard). They kept the worn out wiimote from the demo to use along with a new one (luckily i got the new one every time) the old one was a little worn down and wasnt as quick and didnt feel as good, especially when you have a cord tugging downward the whole time that you're not used to.

The rules were 3minute timed, all stages, and all items on medium.

The closest game I had was with MK in the semi finals when it led to sudden death with me eventually getting a running A in at the end. For the most part a lot of the guys wernt very good, MK only stood a chance because of items but I pretty much outplayed the rest of the competition. I got lucky with the stages and even got a bi second round. I got pictochat 1st round, bi second round, yoshi's island 3rd round, and smashville final round.

1st match on Pictochat vs Link
Not close at all, I was wrecking him with some pretty nasty combos you usually wouldnt be able to pull off on a skilled played i.e. two uAirs in a row w/ fox. Esp on link? He even got a maximum tomato and heartpiece but it wasnt enough to save him, he didnt ko me once the whole match.

2nd fight semi finals on yoshi's island vs MK
The guy was pretty decent without items, but got me in a cheap shot with the star rod knocking me out early in the fight while staying at around 50, I lost a lot of hope when that happend but stuck in through, at one point i grabbed a smash ball and he dodged most of the land master (i made a mistake of jumping onto the platform after him would only bought him more time) but managed to pull a KO right b4 it ended. Long story short sudden death and after a lot of blocking and close calls I nailed him w/ a running kick and sent him flyin.

Final round on smashville vs Pit
Not exactly close, I was pretty much out preforming him on all aspects, i even threw him into a pile of 4 bomb-ombs that came out of a party ball. At one point he got a smash ball and used his FS, i dodged every angel and pit himself to survive and guarantee my win by chucking a few more items at him, and playing a little longer giving me the win.

The prize was as everyone says a golden trophy that said "Smash Bros. District Demon of Dominance" with a little karate guy in a punching stance. Mine was actually cracked on both feet for some reason; damaged while shipping I guess. I also got a $50 giftcard this time which was nice (all i got was the trophy at round 1which was SILVER not gold and heard stories of people getting gift cards). But yeah, the regional finals for me is in 2 weeks on the 29th on a saturday at Universal City Walk (not sure what time they didnt know so I'll have to call around and check with that later).

Vondill

Smash Rookie
I was at the Glendora one.

fail
We're you the guy that was beat by the 10 year old azn playing lucas? BTW, dont be too bitter about it, it wasnt all skill, but everyone had a chance at items, I didnt like the fact that there were items (i was for no items/stock matches) ie MK match, but its something you had to deal with. It was poorly run because the chick in charge probably never looked at the game before, but yeah I'll have to agree with you.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Lol, I'm not too bitter about it. If I had lost in a normal tournament setting, I would be mad, but it was items. So I didn't really expect to win under those conditions.

Vondill

Smash Rookie
Lol, I'm not too bitter about it. If I had lost in a normal tournament setting, I would be mad, but it was items. So I didn't really expect to win under those conditions.
Yeah and I'm assuming you were D3 judging by your avatar and since there was only one DDD there it must have been you right? I remember talkin with ya a lot before it even began, you got gayed out of your match w/ that Lucas.

Xtremedge

Smash Rookie
I won round 1 and then I went to round two and nearly won. I went against sheik who killed me once and accidentally fell off the stage. Then I killed him with a beam sword and then the match ended we shook hands. Only thing is that he won, I thought I beat him and so did he does anyone have any ideas why I lost? Should it have been a sudden death or what?

Seanson

Smash Ace
Lucas absorbs all projectiles no matter what side they are to him. He just turns around and absorbs them. I won Round 2 at Thornton, Colorado. Who will I see at the Mall of America?
you might see me, i just won my round 2 at the mall of america :)

all i can say is... yay for 4 contestants. only had to win twice

edit: also, my gamestop guy said he'd see me next week. I said "wait, it is next week?" and he said yes. the website says it is on the 29th. I'm probably gonna call to clear it up, but anyone else get next week as round 3 from their gamestop?

Top Bottom