• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will your Girlfriend play Brawl with you?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Somehow, I'm utterly unsurprised at (some of) the sexist observations and points-of-view in this thread. Hell, the OP itself operates under the condition that girls only get into games "through their boyfriends." Oh, how soon we forget that not all girls have boyfriends--yet still like video games! Just because a female Smasher doesn't post here doesn't mean she doesn't exist. I can think of a handful of friends off the top of my head--girls, to clarify--that are eagerly awaiting Smash, and I had little to no influence in the matter.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
yep lol, sunday next sunday we plan to beat the SSE on co-op and brawl all day haha

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Same here... except they're more like acquaintances in my case...
That's good, though--I think it proves my point. People so often operate under this assumption that "gaming culture" is some highly specific subculture, when--I believe--in actuality, the idea of a "gaming culture" existing is in and of itself a fallacy. If anything, the sales of Wii and its success in attracting people of all ages, races, genders, political views, etc. only bolsters that fact. All too often I see posters here talking about girls as if they've never met one in their lives (which may or may not be true); but just because there isn't a 1:1 ratio here of men to women doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of girls who like to game, regardless of who they may be seeing, if anyone at all. And lest we forget the sexist remarks about "my girlfriend either having sex or getting back to the kitchen," and the one poster who (very classily) expressed his hopes that his girlfriend would fellate him as he played Smash. Lovely. :rolleyes:

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but girls who play video games and yet still can't find boyfriends are often really, really defective in some other fashion. Like... they're obese, or have crazy pockmarks, or maybe both at once. Ewwww...

To put it short - they're almost as unattractive as male gamers.

OH SNAP - see what I did there, you thought I was sexist but then I turned it around and said 'teh boys are even worse' and, and... nah, I kid, I kid.

My girlfriend just isn't a gamer. She's not very into it, which is fine by me. Hobbies are hobbies - to all of the guys in here like "Well if she doesn't like games I won't get with her, hurr" -- you're young, and you're painfully nearsighted. Hopefully, that'll pass.

My little nerd hobbies like comics and games aren't something I wear on my sleeve or subject other people to - hobbies are a somewhat private community endeavour in that when you find other people who are into it, then that's an immediate bond. It can be pretty cool to know each other's scent that way. All the same, it's not respectful to go around imposing on people who aren't down.

Think of it this way - you game, but you don't crochet. If someone kept coming up to you while you were gaming in your student center or what have you and tried repeatedly to get you to crochet with them, you'd probably wonder what the hell their deal was, and find it terribly annoying. That's what it's like for people who don't game when we go around pushing up our glasses because they've not heard of Metaknight, or haven't played a Metroid game.

Anyway, Daisy and I had some time to kill between coming home from seeing Martian Child (very cute flick, btw) and bedtime, so I taught her to play Brawl last night. She was just bored enough to aquiesce and as silly as it seems, Pikachu, Kirby and Squirtle were big helpers in that. Smash is the kind of game where if you don't take it deathly serious it has a great, fun, energy, and she was shouting when she went flying, and jokingly cursing at Pikachu in no time. Plus I got to shout "Sweetheart, you MUST recover!" and she totally didn't get the joke, which was cute to me. Then she got the hang of up-B and actually didn't do bad at all.

The point is, anybody can have fun doing something new - as long as you're not overbearing in the approach. And "Well she's a girl, but..." isn't really relevant. I'm a guy but I like to cook and exfoliate my face. Gender sterotypes OMG WTF BBQ SHOOP DA WHOOP!

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for restoring my faith that Smashboards hasn't entirely descended into juvenile and thick-headed chaos. :)
Oh **** you captain serious!!! :laugh:

(Please take that as the intentional joke that it was; people have a way of being unable to detect my sarcasm/jokes :/)

The point is, anybody can have fun doing something new - as long as you're not overbearing in the approach. And "Well she's a girl, but..." isn't really relevant. I'm a guy but I like to cook and exfoliate my face. Gender sterotypes OMG WTF BBQ SHOOP DA WHOOP!
1. Awesome username.

2. I like to cook, and I clean my own parts of the house and do my own laundry. And maybe exfoliations will help with this bloody acne... Or am I going to far... :laugh:

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
Depends on the girl. I'm happily single right now, and I doubt I would be happily dating unless the girl had at least some interest in video games. Not like a hardcore gamer, but at least enjoys them from time to time.
Agreed
10char

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Aeris: I try.

SN3S: Thanks, ironically enough, I had this username before the term was a smash term. It's my handle as a mugen creator, and came from god knows how many classic Capcom fighters.

Also, exfoliating does help with the acne, and I recommend a deep sea mineral scrub. That, or an oatmeal based soap. Cooking is fun because it's 10:30 in the AM here, and I'm having a nice Fusilli Rosa for brunch, while still playing teh smash.

People: Read my post? Apparently it's smart and things?

Sliq

Smash Master
Thank you for restoring my faith that Smashboards hasn't entirely descended into juvenile and thick-headed chaos. :)
There are videos of girls eating their own **** and ****ing animals, and you are OFFENDED by posts on a forum? Are you drunk?

abectevolution

Smash Cadet
My "wife" plays Mario Kart and Monkey Ball with me all the time, and our friends. I am throwing a Brawl release day party and she is going to play along with everyone else.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
She's my competition so...yeah.
Dude..wow,you dont know how lucky you are.Thats one of the things Ive been really looking in for a girl,determination.Iam single looking for that type of girl because you wanna know what I think?If a girl is more than willing to do something,they have absolutly no reason to ever cheat,dump or any of the above,and vise virsa with the dude.I do work but 99% of the time,Iam either gaming,or drawing anime .:)

Suska

Smash Apprentice
Yea, most likely my girlfriend will. I mean, she's gonna be coming with me at midnight and playing in the tournament so I think it's safe to assume she will, lol
We play all the time, just as long as I don't kirbycide her to much and piss her off xD

Rikana

Smash Champion
I have a girlfriend that loves me so much that she was willing to play a few Smah Melee matches with me when Brawl wasn't out yet. Luckily, from those few matches, she got hooked on quite quickly. Now she plays Smash Bros. 64, Melee and Brawl with me. She's not much of a competition, but she said she wants to and also willing to be good in Brawl.

She understands she can't beat me in Melee though 'cause of how much more technical you have to be. :p Luckily, in Brawl it's a lot easier for her. I suggested putting on handicap, and she refused because she wants it as a 'fair' match. She said she won't get any better if I use handicap.. lol so I just use a decent character instead of my main. :)

Although I usually look for competitive play, I love playing with my girlfriend. She makes such cute expressions and such when playing. I'm lucky to find a girl that doesn't mind gaming. :D

Edit: She's even joining me in the Canada EB Games tournament of Brawl release, as well as lining up with me to purchase a copy of the game. :D

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Yep. She actually wants to do a 2V2 battle between me and my bro VS her and her bro, just to see the stunned look on his face when he gets pounded to a pulp (me and my bro are semi-competetive, plan on fixing that with Brawl). If we're together, we'll be one of the twos, instead. It will be a good way for us to spend time when we can't get any time to ourselves.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
There are videos of girls eating their own **** and ****ing animals, and you are OFFENDED by posts on a forum? Are you drunk?
Well, first of all, of course I'm not drunk--I detest alcohol. :)

And, yes, such depravity DOES exist on the internet--but not here. I am likewise offended by such videos on principle, but I would only encounter them were I to actively seek them. Here, however, the issue at hand (sexism, in some form) occurs in an environment that I do frequent, one that I choose (or chose) to be a part of. In this way I feel obligated to express my discontent with the situation at hand.

Both situations offend my sensibilities; the latter applies to me more directly because it is pervading a community that I enjoy--or once enjoyed, perhaps.

Goompas

Smash Rookie
Although I usually look for competitive play, I love playing with my girlfriend. She makes such cute expressions and such when playing.
Haha. Thats what I love about playing with my girlfriend.

Trying to teach her how to use pk thunder in Melee was pretty interesting haha. :D

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Nope. My girl is almost allergic to any game that is not Super Mario World.
What if you told her it was Super Mario Smash Bros. World. XD jk

Oh well, you could have her around as a good luck charm. It works all the time. Well for me that is....

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't think I know a single girl that really enjoys video games. All the ones at my school are a bunch of stuck up people always busy with their hair and makeup. Can't stand it lol

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
My girlfriend has promised to immerse herself in the game b/c she knows it means a LOT to me. And if not, she said I can play it while she does the work 0_0... best girlfriend ever

cleaning the house pervert

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
my GF HATES that i play so much smash. she thinks its for losers. i tried to get her to play. she lasted for like 1 week and couldnt take it anymore. i told her to play brawl with me, and she just started laughing at me. im screwed...peace

-hiro
find a new one...or better yet...BUILD ONE!

Top Bottom