• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will The Future Change? - Crono for Smash Support Thread

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Looks like we're getting another SE spirits event in Octopath Traveler, wonder if BD will follow with that getting a new game this year

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about what kind of stage Crono would have and came up with an idea.

We start with the Millennium Fair. At various points in the battle, the background shifts into that famous Chrono Trigger time warp effect, and then we get the arean in a different time with some changes to the platforms as well, as areas have been built up, or crumbled away into nothing.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've been thinking about what kind of stage Crono would have and came up with an idea.

We start with the Millennium Fair. At various points in the battle, the background shifts into that famous Chrono Trigger time warp effect, and then we get the arean in a different time with some changes to the platforms as well, as areas have been built up, or crumbled away into nothing.
I like to think we'd start at the end of times as we warp through the different time periods of CT, Something like this:
-Prehistory: Tyranno Lair, the battle against Black Tyrano and Azala around the tower area
-Dark Ages: I'm not sure if we should simply get a full showcase of the Zeal kingdom islands floating around or just the final room of the ocean palace.
-600 AD: Fiendlord's Keep, I guess the bridge battle could work as well but come on, the battle against Magus is the most defining moment of this period.
-Present: Millenium Fair or the battle against the Mecha Dragon, both are pretty iconic.
-Future: Homeplace of Machines, I know this is an optional dungeon but I feel it's the most noteworthy of the domes due to mother brain awaiting there and whatnot.
-Lavos Day: just...have Lavos shell in the background giving a small demonstration of doomsday as spectacle.
Whether it'd just be cool backgrounds or we'd actually have some sort of interaction with elements of each period, I can't tell, and I guess you could throw the Black Omen somewhere in between those given how you can access it from any time period once unlocked.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I like to think we'd start at the end of times as we warp through the different time periods of CT, Something like this:
-Prehistory: Tyranno Lair, the battle against Black Tyrano and Azala around the tower area
-Dark Ages: I'm not sure if we should simply get a full showcase of the Zeal kingdom islands floating around or just the final room of the ocean palace.
-600 AD: Fiendlord's Keep, I guess the bridge battle could work as well but come on, the battle against Magus is the most defining moment of this period.
-Present: Millenium Fair or the battle against the Mecha Dragon, both are pretty iconic.
-Future: Homeplace of Machines, I know this is an optional dungeon but I feel it's the most noteworthy of the domes due to mother brain awaiting there and whatnot.
-Lavos Day: just...have Lavos shell in the background giving a small demonstration of doomsday as spectacle.
Whether it'd just be cool backgrounds or we'd actually have some sort of interaction with elements of each period, I can't tell, and I guess you could throw the Black Omen somewhere in between those given how you can access it from any time period once unlocked.
Would you want to throw the End of Time in there or not?

cj.

Smash Journeyman
End of Times would be great as stage, it could change between different times as Present, Middle Ages, Future, Lavos Day , Prehistory etc
Ohh also support

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in for support for Crono! They should include music from Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Both originals and new remixes! They should get Yasunori Mitsuda to do a Chrono Smash remix.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I really hope that if Crono gets in Smash, this is one of the music that comes with him

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Would you want to throw the End of Time in there or not?
the EoD would be sort of like a main hub, where the start stage starts and transitions back to everytime a periods runtime ends, sort of like the Pokemon Stadiums? It's probably too many different phases for a single stage but Yggdrassil Altars is pretty detailed so hey, maybe they'd go out for Cronos stage.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Even though I never played Chrono Trigger, I've always thought Crono would be a great character for Smash because in some ways, I see him as representing both Square and Enix before they became one. With his game being designed by both the creators of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, having Crono alongside Cloud and Hero is like completing a puzzle.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Even though I never played Chrono Trigger, I've always thought Crono would be a great character for Smash because in some ways, I see him as representing both Square and Enix before they became one. With his game being designed by both the creators of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, having Crono alongside Cloud and Hero is like completing a puzzle.
On top of that, he's a great SNES rep. Chrono Trigger was one of THE games to have back then.

Oddball

Smash Lord
With SquareEnnix getting another character in the game (Sephiroth) it seems highly unlikely that our pal Crono has a chance this time around.

Maybe we'll get lucky and still get a Mii costume.

7-006.png

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Unfortunate but the likeliest scenario at this point. Shame Square didn't opt to represent another of their most iconic RPGs (or even another FF that's not 7).
Remember the Square Enix list leak from Vergeben? Well, the characters on it were Erdrick, Luminary, Slime, Sephiroth, Sora, Geno, and Crono.
Erdrick and Luminary were added as Hero, Slime is part of Hero's taunts and a Mii Hat, and now Sephiroth is a Fighter. Geno was apparently considered a joke and not to be taken seriously. All that we're missing is Sora and Crono. Now, Crono could end up as a Mii Costume with Sephiroth, but if he doesn't, and there's a Fighters Pass Vol. 3, he could be a shoo-in.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Remember the Square Enix list leak from Vergeben? Well, the characters on it were Erdrick, Luminary, Slime, Sephiroth, Sora, Geno, and Crono.
Erdrick and Luminary were added as Hero, Slime is part of Hero's taunts and a Mii Hat, and now Sephiroth is a Fighter. Geno was apparently considered a joke and not to be taken seriously. All that we're missing is Sora and Crono. Now, Crono could end up as a Mii Costume with Sephiroth, but if he doesn't, and there's a Fighters Pass Vol. 3, he could be a shoo-in.
There ya' go! Don't get up that hope!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I completely forgot about that list of characters tbh, we can hope, I guess we just have to look after what happens on the 17. That said, until it's announced I'll rather not hold much stock into FP3 happening, a part of me wants to see this game get more content but I'm also a bit tired of this rollercoaster of waiting for announcements haha.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It was always a longshot but I have more confidence now that the Seven Squares list was real. Which means that Crono is actually in contention! With such a legendary pedigree, if he was actually considered I'd say it's only a matter of time before he eventually makes it in. I'm curious to see if he'll possibly come as a Mii Costume now, sure it would disconfirm him for a hypothetical (and unlikely) third pass but it would get a foot in the door for the franchise. Maybe even help build support. Silver linings!

Oddball

Smash Lord
It was always a longshot but I have more confidence now that the Seven Squares list was real. Which means that Crono is actually in contention! With such a legendary pedigree, if he was actually considered I'd say it's only a matter of time before he eventually makes it in. I'm curious to see if he'll possibly come as a Mii Costume now, sure it would disconfirm him for a hypothetical (and unlikely) third pass but it would get a foot in the door for the franchise. Maybe even help build support. Silver linings!
I'd be perfectly cool with a Crono Mii costume. It might not be the first place gold trophy, but it's a decent second place reward.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Tomorrow will be a big day for Crono fans. If he doesn't end up as a Mii Costume, it could very well mean he's planned for a possible Fighters Pass Vol. 3. At that point, I would argue that if Vol. 3 is truly a thing, Crono might be the most likely Fighter to be part of it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sephiroth and Geno were my two most wanted Square-Enix characters and I'm happy I got one. I'm still hoping for Geno to still happen as well, but I'm also rooting for you guys because if Crono get's in you guys deserve him. The protagonist of one of the most iconic JRPGs of all time definitely deserves a slot in Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Crono is the only character in the Seven Squares list that isn't still in Smash (other than Sora), so I think that bodes well for his chances, either for a third Pass (which I don't think is happening) or the next Smash. At the very least, it shows that Square holds him in the same regard as 3 characters that are now playable and 2 that are very popular.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
At the end of the day I imagine it's Nintendo higher ups choice how much further they want to invest in more content for Smash Ultimate. I don't count a FP3 happening, but if they keep seeing good sales and feel it's a good idea, you never know. Still, I'd focus on the current last 3 fighters we have to see revealed over a pass that's likely not gonna be a thing to begin with.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
A 3rd pass would be welcome news for so many people. The fervor around Sephiroth makes me wonder if Nintendo wants to go for it given that that would extend the game into 2022 (and probably 2023), and we don't know what the timeline on a new console is from the big N.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I actually really want Magus but I support anyone from the game and Crono makes the most sense. At least he will bring some amazing music.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Crono is the only character in the Seven Squares list that isn't still in Smash (other than Sora), so I think that bodes well for his chances, either for a third Pass (which I don't think is happening) or the next Smash. At the very least, it shows that Square holds him in the same regard as 3 characters that are now playable and 2 that are very popular.
This is true.
Crono has come a long long way now, but now it gets tricky, as one of the 7 was considered to be a flat out lie. (Or was it 1/7 to be true? I don't remember).

In any case, it's now a Thanos situation here. One will probably live through Smash, and the other will just vanish.

... Though for all we know, it could be spirit battles after all the pass is done.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd just be happy to see Crono recognized in Smash, but admittedly, just reusing an official PNG for that is probably the lamest means to get him in the game (although I dislike musicless normal mii costumes just as much tbh).

Oddball

Smash Lord
I see no reason to assume there will be another one if he already said that this will be the last one.
I can think of one reason.

The DLC Spirit board currently has four spots saying "Coming Soon". Now, Sephiroth is going to get one of those, but that still leaves three DLC spirit boards that are open. That's as good a reason as any to expect three more characters.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I can think of one reason.

The DLC Spirit board currently has four spots saying "Coming Soon". Now, Sephiroth is going to get one of those, but that still leaves three DLC spirit boards that are open. That's as good a reason as any to expect three more characters.
So...what does that have to do with another Fighters Pass?

Last edited:
Top Bottom