• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will one need to master Sheik and Zelda in Brawl?

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
In the Melee context, this question is ridiculous. But if Brawl is truly more balanced, could this notion become a reality?

Drake3

Smash Ace
I hope so. They've had alot of time to think about how to make it work effectively.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
To be honest, i think brawl will be even less balanced, if they don´t update the game via online-mode, or in the first year or something.
but i hope you can start out as sheik, otherwise you will have to be able to get your opponent of off you, or you´ll be in disadvantage at your first few stocks ... (change after the Go sign = free combo :D

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Likely. The characters that can switch through multiple forms freely (PKMN Trainer, Olimar, & Samus/Zamus to an extent) have been suggested to need the switch to keep the flow of the battle, as well as having drawbacks to not switching (Olimar losing Pikmin, PKMN's stamina thing, etc.). While I doubt Sheik will have some sort of status drawback from transforming or not transforming, I think the balance will be put more in to question.

In other words, they're two different characters with different attacks and abilities, and the switch between Zelda and Sheik should become more crucial to battle rather then just playing as one or the other. Of course, that would be welcome as well, as it was in Melee.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Likely. The characters that can switch through multiple forms freely (PKMN Trainer, Olimar, & Samus/Zamus to an extent) have been suggested to need the switch to keep the flow of the battle, as well as having drawbacks to not switching (Olimar losing Pikmin, PKMN's stamina thing, etc.). While I doubt Sheik will have some sort of status drawback from transforming or not transforming, I think the balance will be put more in to question.

In other words, they're two different characters with different attacks and abilities, and the switch between Zelda and Sheik should become more crucial to battle rather then just playing as one or the other. Of course, that would be welcome as well, as it was in Melee.

Corrupted Fate

Smash Rookie
To be honest, i think brawl will be even less balanced, if they don´t update the game via online-mode, or in the first year or something.
but i hope you can start out as sheik, otherwise you will have to be able to get your opponent of off you, or you´ll be in disadvantage at your first few stocks ... (change after the Go sign = free combo :D
You are able to start as her in melee you just need to hold down a as it loading the fight. I bet you can do the same in brawl also.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
I really think this time there is 3 possibilities :
-Sheik and Zelda have an equal power, but one is useless where the other is usefull, ect...
-Sheik is low tier, and Zelda is low tier too, nobody take them
-Sheik is top tier or a thing like this and Zelda low tier, (i don't imagine Zelda top tier...)

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
Something tells me that Sheik will have similar damage properties as Meta-Knight. She'll have the ability to damage enemies in a short amount of time, but she will have trouble killing enemies. In that sense, I'd see Zelda as the female version of Ike . . . well maybe that's too strong. I'd rather have her killing potential match Brawl Bowser.

That's of course if they don't mess up somewhere and make her overshadow Zelda.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Absolutely, using both is main part of playing Zelda/Sheik.
And like I said in another thread: Shiek has a sword.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
Something tells me that Sheik will have similar damage properties as Meta-Knight. She'll have the ability to damage enemies in a short amount of time, but she will have trouble killing enemies. In that sense, I'd see Zelda as the female version of Ike . . . well maybe that's too strong. I'd rather have her killing potential match Brawl Bowser.

That's of course if they don't mess up somewhere and make her overshadow Zelda.
You posted exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure this is how the Zelda/Sheik thing was supposed to work in Melee, but somewhere along the way, things got screwed up.

ronnietheboywonder

Smash Apprentice
I hope their power and moves are the same as they were in Melee, who cares if people will use Sheik instead of Zelda?

I'm gonna use both Zelda and Sheik in Brawl like I do in Melee so I don't care :p

TheCanuck75

Smash Apprentice
As said by a couple people before me I believe originally in Melee Sheik was a great character to combo, build damage, and move quickly across the stage while Zelda was suppose to have more power, better throwing, and a much better recovery. However, Sheik was able to KO pretty easily, especially in the air.

I think they will try again, perhaps even speed Zelda up a bit and slow Sheik down a little. I also think Sheik will see some nerfs in her air moves.

I am still very excited about Sheik, she was my main in Melee. I was really worried she wouldn't return.

Kips

Smash Ace
In a perfect world they would have a symbiotic playing relationship in that they desperately need each other to perform well. In the Melee world it was Sheik is the pimp and Zelda is the *****. Hopefully in the BRAWL world, it'll be the perfect world. Zelda with the speedy KO's and Sheik with the damage. And Zelda gets buffed. A lot.

So yes, I hope that Zelda/Sheik players will have to be flexible and not just play Sheik because she wtfuberpwns Zelda.

Percon

Smash Lord
It'll most likely end up bing that they can both perform better against certain characters. Shiek with speed and needles to annoy and combo bigger, clunkier foes and Zelda to send those lightweights with good recovery flying.

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
zero suit samus looks balanced with samus but they are not free to transform all time,i hope sheik and zelda are balanced too,"symbiotic" maybe it's impossible to a char which take too much time fight like this,if they take less time to change that would be a good option for sheik and zelda

mad_max

Smash Cadet
I hope so. What I really want to be able to do is switch between the two quickly and not just use Zelda for recoveries (which I actually stopped doing for melee anyway). Sheik probably won't have as many broken moves (tear) but I'm hoping Zelda will have some useful ones, because the ability to play as two different characters in a single match should be a real advantage.

Sinn

Smash Lord
If nothing else, I'm going to try to use the two of them more often together anyway. It helps keep the opponents on their toes when they have to readjust mid-fight to the way you're fighting.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
Hopefully they will be balanced. Seeing as how all I used in melee was Sheik and the very rare occasional Zelda, I'm really hoping that Sheik will be nerfed and Zelda upgraded so that we can strike a balance. I love both of the characters, Sheik a stealthy, quick, damage dealer. While Zelda a defensive heavy hitter. Good stuff. I take that back, dont make her a heavy hitter. Speed is what counts ;)

RiptheReaper

Smash Apprentice
If nothing else, I'm going to try to use the two of them more often together anyway. It helps keep the opponents on their toes when they have to readjust mid-fight to the way you're fighting.
exactly(u readed my mind),will be nice changing style in fight while being good with both(unlike melee).i mean,if u master Sheik u'll know Zelda's nowhere near Sheik.

Kips

Smash Ace
Well Zelda would be a lot better if they just buffed her speed on everything and her damage capabilities. Sheik simply had all the fundamental strengths and none of the fundamental weaknesses. Range, combo ability, strong and fast, etc.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i hope that people are forced to use zelda lets think about it. while i didnt play the game i do know that sheik was a disguise for her so that she could hide in the shadows so if thats the case i hope they implement some kind of system that while sheik could still be really powerful since shes a disguise, if she gets hit with something like a mario forward air she just gets knocked out of the transformation and flies away as zelda and couldnt change back for a predetermined amount of time. that would make it so 1. you have to play both characters. 2. a smash vet gets some original content to separate them and make them more fun than their melee counterpart. 3. it introduces some originality to the game as a transform mechanic totally different and separate from pikmin and the pokemon trainer idk those are just some fleshed out ideas of mine

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
That would be an interesting idea, but I am not interested in Zelda very much and I only want to use Sheik. I think both characters should be buffed or nerfed depending on how well they did in melee, but I don't want to be forced to use a character I don't care for half the time.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I hope that it's not necessary, but rather I hope it's strategic. As in you can play them separately and be as effective as any other character on the roster, but there is a small advantage in switching. I don't exactly know how to express it, I guess not really an advantage, just make her Down-B more of a mindgame move.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I hope the two are more so as I thought they were in Melee.

Sheik = 1v1
Zelda = Group

I use both against different characters. I'm a casual and never know how OPed Sheik was and never got good. I just loved to reflect back Samus' B and some others.

I am probably going to stick to the same way I used them in Melee. So I guess I will have to try and attempt to master them both.

-Onyx

Kips

Smash Ace
That would be an interesting idea, but I am not interested in Zelda very much and I only want to use Sheik. I think both characters should be buffed or nerfed depending on how well they did in melee, but I don't want to be forced to use a character I don't care for half the time.
The problem is that if you're only interested in Sheik and they're buffed/nerfed depending on their Melee performance, then your favorite character will be nerfed with the almighty nerfhammer and Zelda will go to Buff-Mart and buy herself a big old heaping pile of pwnage.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
I would appreciate it.
Since I became pretty good with Sheik, I wanted to become good with Zelda too, but it never worked out.
If this is finally possible in SSBB I will love Sheik even more (well, the combo of Sheik and Zelda, of course)

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I hope not.
I don't really like Sheik.

I just want to play with the character I pick.
Which will be Zelda :]

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I really don't think that Zelda and Sheik will be made interdependent in Brawl when they were so independent in Melee. This would actually make both of them less playable. Zelda just needs to be buffed.
Now both off them are reasonably playable and everyone's happy.

Luthien

Smash Ace

Sheik = 1v1
Zelda = Group

I use both against different characters. I'm a casual and never know how OPed Sheik was and never got good. I just loved to reflect back Samus' B and some others.

I am probably going to stick to the same way I used them in Melee. So I guess I will have to try and attempt to master them both.

-Onyx
I love you. Make Sheik good against some characters, and bad against others. Make Zelda good against some characters and bad against others. The 1v1 Group thing is splendid. I'm semi-casual, so I find it easy to walk up to three other guys fighting and f-smashing without getting in the middle of the action (disjointed hitbox = friend).

I love your sig, too.

I swear though, if they make it so you HAVE to switch like PT (curse you, stamina!), I'll sceam.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman

Sheik = 1v1
Zelda = Group

-Onyx
That's about how i use her also. I just hope that they shorten the huge gap in overall effectiveness between the two (Make Zelda a bit faster, make sheik a tiny bit weaker).

Kips

Smash Ace
The only problem is what if the characters Sheik is good against are high-tier and the ones Zelda can destroy are low-tier. It makes it so Zelda won't compete at a high level while Sheik can, due to character matchups.

Top Bottom