• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Nintendo know how to handle a game launch of this magnitude?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Nintendo has a history of not always having the smoothest launches. It is commonplace for even highly anticipated games to arrive at non-game stores (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.) several days, or more, late. Which is why I reserved at GameStop.

But, no matter if the release date changes again or not, I could easily see Brawl being in short supply. The entire GameStop franchise sold out of PREORDERS for Wii Play. I was lucky to get a copy. Now, I know this comes with the remote, but I think it is safe to say thatBrawl is more popular than a Wii Remote.

And let's not forget the lack of Nintendo first party products all the way through the end of February and beginning of March last year. The DS was nearly impossible to find, and even (at least where I am) the GameCube didnt last long on shelves. The Wii still doesnt. Now you may say that those are systems, and Brawl is a game.

It was common for Nintendo first party games to be sold out for a while around--and after--Christmas. New Super Mario Bros, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart DS, both Kirby DS games, Wario Ware for DS, GCN, and Wii, and many other titles took a good long time to finally start appearing on shelves again.

I remember even long ago, after Pokemon Yellow was released, it took a nice couple of weeks for it to show up in stores, and stay on the shelves for longer than a couple hours.

When Halo 3, by far one of the best games of all time had it's release, millions of copies were sold on day one, and millions more are still being sold. I live in a college town, and the game was sold out for a week even though every store filled preorders and (even walmart) ordered hundreds of copies.

I do not expect Super Smash Brothers Brawl to be an easy thing to find, until at least the middle of March. I expect them to ship whatever the game stores order to fill preorders, and probably about 30-50 copies in addition. I also expect non game stores (best buy, target, walmart, kmart, and costco and the like) to get much less copies than this. I expect those stores to recieve 20-25 max.

Nintendo has a history of not quite being able to meet demand, both on their consoles and on games, and even first party games and systems that have been released for a while tend to be in short supply around the Holliday season, and for a couple months after. Link's Crossbow Training caried the Wii Zaper to sell out. I am pretty sure that Brawl is in MUCH higher demand than Link's Crossbow Training.

Nintendo has had problems before, and I dont know if they are aware how truly big they need to make the launch of this game. Much like the Halo 3 launch, this needs to be an event, not just a shelf stocking.

Reserve Brawl or be gaurenteed to miss out. That is the bottom line.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
What? I've never seen a game sell out and I've been gaming for 15 years.

I'm not 15, *******.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr.

However, I will say almost every company has these sort of problems. Until very recently my Wal-Mart didn't have Halo 3, despite it being one of the most saturated games out there. Didn't like...Cumberland Farms even have copies?

Anyways, just make a habit out of cycling stores. Start at Wal-Mart, than Target, then move on to gaming stores. Or, better yet, preorder off of Amazon or something.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
yes, yes they do.

not reserving games makes you dumb. unless you dont care enough to want it at launch. then my advice to you would be : stop doing things you dont care about immensely.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Brawl != Halo. If we were talking consoles, it would be hard to get it at launch, but this is a game, so I'm not worried.

...but I reserved it anyway.

EDIT:
Drclaw411 said:
New Super Mario Bros, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart DS, both Kirby DS games, Wario Ware for DS, GCN, and Wii, and many other titles took a good long time to finally start appearing on shelves again.
Funny, I picked up NSMB on launch day without a reserve. Same goes for Mario Kart DS. I picked up Wario Ware close to it's release, too.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too worried about it selling out down here in this small town where I live. I'm the only person in my town that cares about Brawl anyway. lol

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too worried about it selling out down here in this small town where I live. I'm the only person in my town that cares about Brawl anyway. lol
Heh, I used to think that as well. It's funny how you always think you're the lone gamer in a small town, only to find the game sells out within minutes. So much for my hope no one in the town of Madison liked Twilight Princess <_<

Brawl might not be in such high demand anyways. The Wii is still hard to find by itself. How will people play the game unless they have a wii? That is unless they release a huge amount of Wiis during the season (which it doesn't look like it).
So if one reserved it, they'll probably have it day of or day after release.
If not... wait a month like the other good people have stated.

Captain Anthony

Smash Apprentice
Brawl might not be in such high demand anyways. The Wii is still hard to find by itself. How will people play the game unless they have a wii? That is unless they release a huge amount of Wiis during the season (which it doesn't look like it).
So if one reserved it, they'll probably have it day of or day after release.
If not... wait a month like the other good people have stated.
I'd like to point out that roughly infinity bazillion Wiis have been sold since launch... It's safe to assume nobody who has a Wii will not have Super Smash Brothers, meaning Nintendo has the afore mentioned ~infinity bazillion customers to satisfy. (Give or take a few stubborn morons who think Brawl is a fad.) These people are excluded from the ~infinity bazillion.

I'd like to point out that roughly infinity bazillion Wiis have been sold since launch... It's safe to assume nobody who has a Wii will not have Super Smash Brothers, meaning Nintendo has the afore mentioned ~infinity bazillion customers to satisfy. (Give or take a few stubborn morons who think Brawl is a fad.) These people are excluded from the ~infinity bazillion.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "infinity bazillion", but I'll safely assume you mean those who have bought a Wii period. Wii, being a family system, has been appealed to many different age groups who have not previously have cared about it, such as old farts and parents who have children who whine about not having a Wii. These people play Wii Sports and are satisfied.
However, the game market is different in that only the true fans will come back for the games like super smash bros while this audience won't bother because they have their wii sports. Some people may jump on the fanwagon, but a lot of people are going to jump off the fanwagon too.
In short: Most people who weren't previously gamers who bought the wii probably will not buy smash bros until long after the release if at all.

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
Let me sit you down and tell you something son...

Pay attention, logic only comes around once in a blue moon around this sesspool....

It is Nintendo. They will do what they must baby, do what they can to please the consumer. Whether it be through false promises or a 5 figure bribe, they will do what they can son.

First of all, games don't take long to manufacture, it is but a blank cd son, a blank cd.

This ain't the endsville that Wii went through, what with it's frustrating (but understandable) supply and demand ratio inaccurancy.

Case and point, they understand the many orgasms Smash will yearn, and like an eager 50$ callgirl, they will do what they can to please you as soon as possible.

cormano

Smash Rookie
i too reserved mine during the summer. my friend works at game crazy and at the time he told me what games he had pre-ordered, and ssbb was one of them. at the time, there wasn't a release date but it was in the computers, so.

but yeah, if you haven't pre-ordered yours yet, then it could be a problem finding it on release.

ChronosMagnum

Smash Apprentice
No, Nintendo can handle Brawl. They cannot, however, handle the mass world collision that is Wii Fit.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
I've always been able to get games on their release dates without reserving them or anything, so I don't think there's that big of a problem...

Also, don't overestimate Brawl's popularity (i.e. comparing it to Halo or such lol).

Break

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has been in the video game market since 1975. That's 32 years. I think they can handle it. Also, unlike Sony they don't get off to torturing their consumers.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
People always base their opinions about games by the popularity. However, it doesn't make a game good. Halo 3 was well received... as a multiplayer game. Many felt it lacked the depth in singleplayer.

However, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, although made to attract a lot of gamers, is still basically made just for the hardcore Nintendo fans, people who know Nintendo and its history. People who devote their times making timelines for each franchises, or people who try to link every Nintendo character with each other. Or, people who just know even the most obscure games and characters. It's what distinguishes Brawl from other games.

They specifically made it for the true fans, not for the mass. Doesn't mean they don't do it for other people as well, but Brawl does get promoted as the ultimate Nintendo fan service ever.

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
With a game this big, they're bound to have a release party. After all, this one of Sakurai's best acomplishments, he's bound to want a party to promote the game, to give out teary speeches, and the most of all, for attendees to have fun.

And when it comes to the states, I'll make sure to get lots and lots of sovenirs, like a T-shirt, pens, bookmarks, stickers and tattoos. I don't mean like an ACTUAL tattoo, though. Just those things that you can just stick on and peel it off. I'm gonna ask for 2-3 of those for each franchise symbol on the Dojo and stick them mostly on my arms while sparing some for my face.

I hope I'm not spamming.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No they don't know jack **** what they're doing. It's the same reason it's so hard to find Wii's now. Brawl probably won't be sold out for as long as Wii was but it'll be sold out none the less.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Of course Nintendo won't know how to handle the launch. They're still short on Wiis and have already delayed the game with another delay probably on the way.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why anyone would discredit the ability of Brawl to sell. The Wii at the moment is (to me) a glorified Super Smash Bros Brawl player. The GCN was the same of Melee for a long time. Yes, you can play other games, but when the dust settles, Smash is what I always come back to.

Edit: After all, Melee wasn't the highest selling GCN game for nothing.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Of course Nintendo won't know how to handle the launch. They're still short on Wiis and have already delayed the game with another delay probably on the way.
"Blah blah, I hate Nintendo because they're making Brawl better, blah." If you want another delay, then just don't buy Brawl when everyone else gets it first.

Silfa

Smash Ace
No they don't know jack **** what they're doing. It's the same reason it's so hard to find Wii's now. Brawl probably won't be sold out for as long as Wii was but it'll be sold out none the less.
They might be a little short on Wiis, but people loving the system definitely has something to do with them being sold out.

Have some faith, brotha.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, I don't really care when I get Brawl. I know I'll get it eventually, and a couple friends have it preordered. I'll be playing with them until I get around to going to Walmart and taking a copy off the shelves.

So I'm not worried.

I guess this thread doesn't apply to me.

Top Bottom