• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Lucina outclass Marth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Everyone is aware since the demo that Marth has been nerfed. Will Lucina make up for it and be the faster, quicker Marth with less lag?

I mean, she seemed to be running really fast in the trailer.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I don't think that she'll outclass Marth, but that she'll be strong and weak in areas that Marth isn't.

Marth will be stronger but slower, and Lucina will be weaker but faster. One will have the better air game, and one will have the better ground game.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
I hope neither of them outclass each other tbh. I don't want either Marth fans (like me) or Lucina fans to feel like they are using a weaker version of their character.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
I didn't play any of the demos, so this could be completely wrong (feel free to correct me). Maybe SSB4 Marth acts like Roy and Lucina acts like Marth from the previous games? Or it could be that SSB4 Marth is much more ground-based and Lucina has a stronger air game?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Everyone is aware since the demo that Marth has been nerfed. Will Lucina make up for it and be the faster, quicker Marth with less lag?

I mean, she seemed to be running really fast in the trailer.
Ike ran very fast in subspace emissary, and he was slow as heck. I can understand judging by gameplay, but a CG trailer? Really? I guess while we're at it, Palutena can whisk Pit away for free, and Greninja can hang on ceilings of stages.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I think that Lucina will be the new Marth.

I have this feeling that Sakurai, in his effort to adequate Lucina into the game....will **** up Marth with the even clumsier and dull style he had from brawl, like we saw in the E3......and will turn Lucina into what MArth was supposed to be.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Ike ran very fast in subspace emissary, and he was slow as heck. I can understand judging by gameplay, but a CG trailer? Really? I guess while we're at it, Palutena can whisk Pit away for free, and Greninja can hang on ceilings of stages.
Captain Falcon can block swords like nothing too...

...Wait, he can do that in-game.

Clanking

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
In terms of tiers there will always be one that's better than the other but each of them will have different strengths and weaknesses like lucina possibly being better in the air and marth on the ground, maybe lucina is faster but weaker, maybe her jump is higher but she's floatier

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon can block swords like nothing too...

...Wait, he can do that in-game.

Clanking
If Cpt. Falcon were a FE character, I swear he'd break the game.
@ OP: I'm hoping both will be good. Weren't Fox and Falco both viable competitively in Melee? Something like that would be nice.

Last edited:

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
I was talking with a few guys from my scene who were arguing with Lucina basically being a "casual" Marth.
What I see it really coming down to is one excelling in areas the other doesn't. Although I wish there was more of a difference.
Marth was supposedly nerfed based on talk and gameplay of the demo, but I feel maybe some changes could've been made.
Back to my point, I see things pretty much going something like this:
  • Marth could be slower/more powerful, Lucina could be faster/less powerful
  • Early tipper kills will be in Marth's favor, Lucina will have an easier time killing later on due lack of tipper dependence
  • Marth's combo ability could be better but has to be non-tippered, Lucina could struggle or excel depending on how her sword properties work for her in this situation(since there's no tipper, she may not necessarily send her opponents flying; but since there's balance in her sword, any hit may send them flying)
  • Marth's game will reward you for spacing moreso than Lucina because of his tipper, Lucina's not so much but will still give equally powerful options regardless. (This can be traced back to Point 2)
There could be some other points that I could add later, but I'd have to think a little more on them. This is how I mainly see things turning out but we won't know exactly until we see more Lucina in the future.

Last edited:

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
I think the major difference between the two will be Marth having to use the tip of his sword to do lots of damage. Sakurai mentioned that Lucina is shorter, which makes me think she'll be faster and lighter. I hope she's good because she's my favorite FE character, not only in ssb but the whole FE series!

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Do you guys think equal strength (damage/knockback) at all parts of the blade will outclass the ability for more damage and knockback through a tipper? Speed and movelag aside, the ability to add damage and knockback by spacing well will probably place Marth above Lucina as I see it. Assuming this all is even the case, because if Lucina turns out to do tipper damage with all parts of the blade.. just wow.

Still way too early too tell of course, but it's fun to speculate/discuss imo. So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose it depends. A player that is not as good at spacing will have more effective results with Lucina and a player that is phenomenal at spacing will make Lucina look like a waste of a character slot. Either way, collectively, I believe that Lucina will outclass Marth online, whereas if Marth is still competitively viable, he will certainly outclass Lucina.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
As a marth fan, I can agree that lucina seems better than current marth. The new Marth has a different playstyle, where lucina reminds me of Melee marth. I feel during early meta, Lucina will be higher tier than marth, but as time professes and people find the hidden gems in marth, he will come back to earn his spot in upper tier.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Hmmmm

I really hope she's a faster, more aerial oriented version of marth. if she is, yeah, I'd say he'd be outclassed.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon's unique class is 'Real Man' and the level 15 skill is "When Falcon Punch kills an enemy, you may make another move". Infinite manly galeforce action.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Someone could probably hack Brawl to make Lucina there so some can test that, lol.

I hope she will be useful... but I'm worried Marth will be better. :/

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Highest to lowest

Strength:
Ike
Marth
Lucina

Speed:
Lucina
Marth
Ike

Seeing what I'm trying to get at?

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
Highest to lowest

Strength:
Ike
Marth
Lucina

Speed:
Lucina
Marth
Ike

Seeing what I'm trying to get at?
You forgot robin:bee:
This would be ideal, and it's what I suspect will happen, although it wouldn't necessarily lead to them being on an equal footing. I guess it'd just depend on how large the difference in power/speed is.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
You forgot robin:bee:
This would be ideal, and it's what I suspect will happen, although it wouldn't necessarily lead to them being on an equal footing. I guess it'd just depend on how large the difference in power/speed is.
Lol I'm guessing Robin will fall somewhere between Ike and Marth for strength and Marth and Ike for speed (he's not a fast guy from the trailer)

But considering Ike's massive power from Brawl compared to Marth's equally massive speed from Brawl, I'm guessing it will be pretty noticeable.

The difference is where in Brawl it was black and white, in Sm4sh Ike remains the black, Lucina took Marth's title for the white, and Marth is the grey.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
Lol I'm guessing Robin will fall somewhere between Ike and Marth for strength and Marth and Ike for speed (he's not a fast guy from the trailer)

But considering Ike's massive power from Brawl compared to Marth's equally massive speed from Brawl, I'm guessing it will be pretty noticeable.

The difference is where in Brawl it was black and white, in Sm4sh Ike remains the black, Lucina took Marth's title for the white, and Marth is the grey.
Haha, yeah, I was just kidding about Robin, he doesn't play like them at all so it's a moot point.

I do wonder how Smash 4 Ike plays compared to Brawl Ike. I always felt Brawl Ike was a bit too slow for his character but I guess he was slowed down quite a bit in Radiant Dawn.

But yeah, getting off-topic: I'm optimistic they'll end up being similar in terms of tiering with Marth being slightly higher because tipping damage is better if you pull it off consistently. It would suck for people who have mastered him if he ended up worse than his clone, imo (and I am awful with him, so no bias here).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ken, PewPewU, Mike Haze, and PPMD said they didn't like Marth, and M2K was mixed on Marth. All of them preferred the 2 previous builds of Marth.

They all stated Marth played like a defensive, grounded, counter-attack centric character who doesn't resemble the 2 previous builds of Marth.

Despite that, they all were hyped for Lucina, seeing her as the "true" Marth.

Advantage: Lucina. :4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina:

Also, no tipper gimmick holding her speedy spacie-like style back.

Winner: Lucina. :4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina:

Waifu: Lucina. :4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina:

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Haha, yeah, I was just kidding about Robin, he doesn't play like them at all so it's a moot point.

I do wonder how Smash 4 Ike plays compared to Brawl Ike. I always felt Brawl Ike was a bit too slow for his character but I guess he was slowed down quite a bit in Radiant Dawn.

But yeah, getting off-topic: I'm optimistic they'll end up being similar in terms of tiering with Marth being slightly higher because tipping damage is better if you pull it off consistently. It would suck for people who have mastered him if he ended up worse than his clone, imo (and I am awful with him, so no bias here).
Well Ike's extremely sluggish speed is honestly why it stopped using him in the online matches. As much as I loved smacking 75-percenters across the screen with a simple foreword smash, that lack of speed was always getting me killed. That's when I decided to go back to Marth (my favorite fighter from Melee). Gotta love that tipper!

Trust me, I am crossing my fingers for Marth as you can see. I'm actually pretty excited that he's turning out to be more of a ground fighter in this game. If he ends up being worse than Lucina then that would be stupid (the hero king himself, duh). But I'll stick with Marth. I feel like with practice, any character can dominate anyway.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
They'll probably be able as different from each other as Link and Young Link, one is faster while the other hits harder, it'll just be a matter of what the player prefers and if Lucina is the faster character in this case then she is the Marth for me because I love my mobile characters.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Captain Falcon can achieve S-support with all characters. Everybody is in love with Captain Falcon.

...but jokes aside, I'm definitely sensing that Lucina might be faster and more air based than Marth. I was with my friend when he tried Marth at Smash Fest, and he felt like Marth's air game was nerfed. I don't think, however, that Lucina's entire blade will have the same power as Marth's tipper; that would almost certainly make her way stronger than Marth and doesn't strike me as smart balancing. I think her sword will probably deal an average amount of damage that's weaker than Marth's tipper, but stronger than Marth hitting with any other part of his sword.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Let's say a tipper (any given move) from Marth does 20% with high knockback and a non-tipper does 12% with low knockback. Would it be balanced if Lucina's equivalent was right in the middle - 16% damage and knockback inbetween Marth's knockbacks? Would it be more balanced if the damage was closer to Marth's tipper damage or closer to his non-tipper damage?
Just putting some questions out there. :)

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I really don't think Lucina will outclass Marth. It will be entirely up to preference and how you tend to fight, with Marth being for more tactical fighters, and Lucina being more for rushdown. At least, I think....who can say till there's actual testing done?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
The thing with Marth is that if you're not killing early, you're killing late, which is often dependent on the players skill as well as the opponents. Therefore, Marth is somewhat inconsistent. However, Lucina seems to be going the more consistent route with an evened blade, which in turn may make her actually a superior Marth when it comes to fighting other characters, but I can see her losing the matchup against Marth himself.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
There's a good chance they'll be right next to each other on the tier list, like Link and Young Link in Melee. :p

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
She'll be Marth's Falco. So we'll have to see how things play out. Her sword has average power throughout the blade, yet Marth still has the tipper. It will be up to the players to make Lucina better than Marth since Marth has reach and tipper power over her.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
She'll be Marth's Falco. So we'll have to see how things play out. Her sword has average power throughout the blade, yet Marth still has the tipper. It will be up to the players to make Lucina better than Marth since Marth has reach and tipper power over her.
Well, if it means less knockback she'll already combo better than he does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom